Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

From Cautious Optimism to Concern

OP JustAlex1997

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I'd bet the beta date is announced at E3, or is announced as a "and you can play it now" thing during E3. I imagine we'll get a strong couple minutes of campaign gameplay, and a small intro into MP too. Or maybe reverse that depending on what their focus for secret keeping is.
It wouldn't be a beta build this close to release, so that still doesn't leave adequate time for improvements.
I think Ubisoft, Activision, and EA have all had huge games with betas occurring 1 month-2 weeks before a games launch recently (past 2 years). And if my memory serves me right, at least EA and Activision had games that put tweaks into day 1 patches thanks to the feedback from the betas.

It seems more to me like your expectations from the beta is a pretty early version of the game to play that will have some decently impactful changes between then and launch.

That's what they did with Halo 5, and everyone focused on the changes between beta and launch that they percieved as negative. No one discussed the positive changes to gameplay between the two. That negative publicity outcome is why I think the beta will be closer to release as mainly a server stress test.
My expectations? You just described exactly what beta tests are supposed to be. They're supposed to allow people to test beta builds of games so that they have feedback while there's still time to make meaningful improvements. What you described previously is advertising disguised as testing.
While I initially planned to wait until E3 2020 to comment on my concerns with Halo Infinite, those concerns grow greater with each passing day.

When 343 Industries first revealed Halo Infinite, they gave those of us who've disliked the direction of the franchise a sliver of hope. With Halo getting its visual and tonal personality back, as well as promises of the community helping 343 Industries craft the game, there was reason to be cautiously optimistic. However, with people leaving 343 Industries, the concerning service-based nature the game's supposedly taking, the fact that 343 Industries' silence on the game may be due to them attempting to hide something, and a lack of adequate time for the community to help them with the game pre-launch (plus many more issues), Halo Infinite is a game that I'm struggling to call myself cautiously optimistic about.

Even as someone who dislikes 343 Industries, most Halo-related news has been good since 2018. People have started having faith in 343 Industries again, and Halo's even had an increase in relevance after showing no signs of being able to for years. If Halo Infinite is yet another 343 Industries game, I don't think they'll get another chance to impress. I haven't financially supported the Halo franchise since around 2015 or 2016, and if Halo Infinite turns out to be bad, I'll know without a shadow of a doubt that modern Halo has little to offer me.

But hey, we have an art and musical style which better represents the original games, splitscreen, and 343 Industries hinting at the return of the original gameplay by saying that they don't want to just copy market trends anymore. We'll see how things go at E3.
"with people leaving 343 Industries"
343i has hundreds of employees. People leave companies all the time. They get better offers elsewhere. They want to live somewhere else. There are a litany of reasons that people leave companies. Only in the gaming community is there this illogical assumption that every employee is supposed to remain at a developer during the duration of some project or else "something must be wrong".

"the service-based nature of the game"
What service-base nature? Is this based on some confirmed info? Or 100%unsubstantiated internet conjecture?

"may be due to them trying to hide something"
Or it's simply because they don't want to show anything yet. They told us last year that more will be shown at E3 2020. They never confirmed any showing before then. I'm surprised as well that we haven't seen any gameplay yet but using that to jump to "they must be hiding something" is illogical.

Wait until something is actually shown before arriving at some opinion. Anything else is pointless.
1. Creative director is a pretty important position, so this isn't a janitor leaving.
2. 343 Industries were (and probably still are) hiring people with experience in games-as-a-service experiences.
3. Hence the "may" in that. However, they did say in 2018 that they'd be transparent about its development.

And I will be waiting to form my conclusion. Until then, I have my concerns based on the evidence.
If I had a lead role at 343, the last thing I would want to do is repeat Halo 5’s marketing disaster by overhyping everyone way too early (not to mention mislead them). Not with this fan base. No way. Because you know the instant some multiplayer footage gets released that shows off something like Sprint, that’s when the forums will explode and 50% of the community will post their typical entitled tirades, and write the game off right there. There is a surgical precision to doing this- the timing has to be just right.

That being said, one year from release is ideally when I would want to start slow dripping some information- beginning with a new trailer and some kind of gameplay demonstration. That has not happened.

I firmly believe that this beta needs to run its course PRIOR to E3. Somewhere in April would be most ideal. I just can’t see how you can have a beta start in mid June and then have the game release sometime in late September - late November and expect the proper adjustments to be made.

I’m gonna play the game no matter what, but it’s not just about me. What’s the point if the population suffers again?
If I had a lead role at 343, the last thing I would want to do is repeat Halo 5’s marketing disaster by overhyping everyone way too early (not to mention mislead them). Not with this fan base. No way. Because you know the instant some multiplayer footage gets released that shows off something like Sprint, that’s when the forums will explode and 50% of the community will post their typical entitled tirades, and write the game off right there. There is a surgical precision to doing this- the timing has to be just right.

That being said, one year from release is ideally when I would want to start slow dripping some information- beginning with a new trailer and some kind of gameplay demonstration. That has not happened.

I firmly believe that this beta needs to run its course PRIOR to E3. Somewhere in April would be most ideal. I just can’t see how you can have a beta start in mid June and then have the game release sometime in late September - late November and expect the proper adjustments to be made.

I’m gonna play the game no matter what, but it’s not just about me. What’s the point if the population suffers again?
There's nothing entitled about wanting a product to be of interest to you. If you can sprint, all of the issues sprint has to cause as to not break the experience will be present.

Anyway, I'm not sure why people seem to think I want endless trailers which are practically bursting with information. I just want the transparency 343 Industries said we'd get back in 2018. Simple, "today the team made great progress towards perfecting this weapon's fire rate" would suffice.
I'd bet the beta date is announced at E3, or is announced as a "and you can play it now" thing during E3. I imagine we'll get a strong couple minutes of campaign gameplay, and a small intro into MP too. Or maybe reverse that depending on what their focus for secret keeping is.
It wouldn't be a beta build this close to release, so that still doesn't leave adequate time for improvements.
I think Ubisoft, Activision, and EA have all had huge games with betas occurring 1 month-2 weeks before a games launch recently (past 2 years). And if my memory serves me right, at least EA and Activision had games that put tweaks into day 1 patches thanks to the feedback from the betas.

It seems more to me like your expectations from the beta is a pretty early version of the game to play that will have some decently impactful changes between then and launch.

That's what they did with Halo 5, and everyone focused on the changes between beta and launch that they percieved as negative. No one discussed the positive changes to gameplay between the two. That negative publicity outcome is why I think the beta will be closer to release as mainly a server stress test.
My expectations? You just described exactly what beta tests are supposed to be. They're supposed to allow people to test beta builds of games so that they have feedback while there's still time to make meaningful improvements. What you described previously is advertising disguised as testing.
Way more betas are for server stress tests and small balance adjustments than what you describe. What you're describing sounds more like the last year of a game that started in early access than a beta test for a AAA game. Server stress tests and balance adjustments can very easily happen when it starts a month before launch.

Also E3 will be more like 4 months before launch depending on the Series X launch date. Which is way more than enough time to do what you want anyway.

Way more betas are for server stress tests and small balance adjustments than what you describe. What you're describing sounds more like the last year of a game that started in early access than a beta test for a AAA game. Server stress tests and balance adjustments can very easily happen when it starts a month before launch.

Also E3 will be more like 4 months before launch depending on the Series X launch date. Which is way more than enough time to do what you want anyway.
Now, yes. That isn't what they were meant to be.

Beta tests....are just that. Allowing interested players/community members/whoever , play a beta build of the game and offer feed back. What has been fed to the last couple generations of gamers as beta tests are , in truth , strictly stress tests. If a game is a month or less from release , and launches a "beta test" , it is a glorified demo and stress test. You can not make changes and have them tested , bug free , and verified gold in a month.

Not really a Beta there. This is just stuff to put into the day 1 patch. But whatever. Its just semantics at this point. The issue is that release dates are prioritized so much instead of a table release - look at the size of the some Day 1 patches! They are the size of the entire game!

To get back on topic here: a lot of questions are still not answered and there isn't much time left to answer them.
The latest piece of media was their 'work ethic' trailer: We are 343If they are really holding everything back until E3 2020, this will be one hell of an E3. (assuming nothing leaks before then)
I think there is good reason to be cautiously optimistic about Infinite and is some cases even concerned...
Given the info I've heard, I think the game will certainly have at least a couple divisive things about it but I think thats nearly unavoidable given thats been the reception for Halo games ever since Reach. Of course, not everyone will have problems with the game but certainly a vocal group will.

The main thing thats concerning is that we know Microsoft/343 is strategically hiring for live services in Infinite. If you've been paying much mind to Halo news and the gaming landscape you'll see the writing on the wall...
Its not so much a question of if but how? Most AAA developers are resorting to Battle-Passes these days ever since Fortnite set the trend. And whadda you know? The MCC has been implementing such a system which I think is the testing grounds for what they do in Infinite. Thats not to say its the only thing they'll do but I'm sure they'll at least be doing BP's.
We've also seen Microsoft's handling of the new Gears game and I don't think its far fetched to expect something similar for Infinite...

Overall, I'm sure Halo Infinite will be a fun game but my cautious optimism is tempered by by certain concern that the game is likely to be riddled with greed. It'll just be a question of how far they go with it and how much it'll affect the gameplay and development of the game.
Way more concerning is the effect of corona virus on Chinese manufacturing. Could very well push the launch of the new Xbox and it's launch games (ie. Infinite) back into 2021.

Betas used to have different priorities to fit the time. I think when you consider that multiplayer servers performing poorly will tank a franchise faster than any other issue in today's gaming world, then it should make sense that server stress tests are given higher priority now than they ever have in the past.

You can fix bugs and balance relatively quickly. Turning around a poor launch experience for the community can take 1+ years, and has a higher impact on current and future revenue.
While I initially planned to wait until E3 2020 to comment on my concerns with Halo Infinite, those concerns grow greater with each passing day.

When 343 Industries first revealed Halo Infinite, they gave those of us who've disliked the direction of the franchise a sliver of hope. With Halo getting its visual and tonal personality back, as well as promises of the community helping 343 Industries craft the game, there was reason to be cautiously optimistic. However, with people leaving 343 Industries, the concerning service-based nature the game's supposedly taking, the fact that 343 Industries' silence on the game may be due to them attempting to hide something, and a lack of adequate time for the community to help them with the game pre-launch (plus many more issues), Halo Infinite is a game that I'm struggling to call myself cautiously optimistic about.

Even as someone who dislikes 343 Industries, most Halo-related news has been good since 2018. People have started having faith in 343 Industries again, and Halo's even had an increase in relevance after showing no signs of being able to for years. If Halo Infinite is yet another 343 Industries game, I don't think they'll get another chance to impress. I haven't financially supported the Halo franchise since around 2015 or 2016, and if Halo Infinite turns out to be bad, I'll know without a shadow of a doubt that modern Halo has little to offer me.

But hey, we have an art and musical style which better represents the original games, splitscreen, and 343 Industries hinting at the return of the original gameplay by saying that they don't want to just copy market trends anymore. We'll see how things go at E3.
Once Neighbor (One of the faces of Halo 3) posted on Twitter that he was leaving Halo Infinite development because he didn't like the direction Infinite was going, I realized it probably meant they were sticking with advanced mechanics moving forward instead of classis halo. Though I guess we need to wait and find out. Hope there is a beta!
Your concerns are absolutely fair. I'm still cautiously optimistic though. A lack of information is not proof that something is wrong. I've brought it up before, but here's a good place to reiterate. H5s marketing campaign was so misleading that it nearly crashed the franchise. A long, drawn out marketing campaign might not be the best move since people could be skeptical of its legitimacy. Instead, opting for a short and concise marketing campaign could be beneficial for a variety of reasons. I've jotted down a few below:
  • It's cheaper
  • It adds mystery, which is a stated goal with Infinite
  • The viral nature of speculation has the potential to generate more hype than a trailer could
As for people leaving, that's the nature of the industry now-a-days. In fact, that's the nature of the modern workforce in general. Back in college I read a statistic that a college graduate will change job titles on average 11 times before they're 30 years old. That can mean promotions, but it can also mean lateral moves to other companies. People move around a lot more these days. You can work remotely, travel easily, or just move to a new city every few years, which wasn't really an option only a few decades ago. So people leaving doesn't concern me as much as it used to. It can be a bad sign, but not always.

I will agree that I am concerned about the fact that flighting hasn't started. I thought a while back 343 said they would do flighting a year out from each game release. Idk if that's still their goal, but we are within the one year window now for Infinite's launch.
You bring up a great point about the potential for a short marketing campaign that I hadn't thought of. After all, the H5 marketing compared to what we got was unacceptable. Lets see what happens, fingers crossed!
J HOVA 8 wrote:
Your concerns are absolutely fair. I'm still cautiously optimistic though. A lack of information is not proof that something is wrong. I've brought it up before, but here's a good place to reiterate. H5s marketing campaign was so misleading that it nearly crashed the franchise. A long, drawn out marketing campaign might not be the best move since people could be skeptical of its legitimacy. Instead, opting for a short and concise marketing campaign could be beneficial for a variety of reasons. I've jotted down a few below:
  • It's cheaper
  • It adds mystery, which is a stated goal with Infinite
  • The viral nature of speculation has the potential to generate more hype than a trailer could
As for people leaving, that's the nature of the industry now-a-days. In fact, that's the nature of the modern workforce in general. Back in college I read a statistic that a college graduate will change job titles on average 11 times before they're 30 years old. That can mean promotions, but it can also mean lateral moves to other companies. People move around a lot more these days. You can work remotely, travel easily, or just move to a new city every few years, which wasn't really an option only a few decades ago. So people leaving doesn't concern me as much as it used to. It can be a bad sign, but not always.

I will agree that I am concerned about the fact that flighting hasn't started. I thought a while back 343 said they would do flighting a year out from each game release. Idk if that's still their goal, but we are within the one year window now for Infinite's launch.
You bring up a great point about the potential for a short marketing campaign that I hadn't thought of. After all, the H5 marketing compared to what we got was unacceptable. Lets see what happens, fingers crossed!
It isn't because we saw a lot about Halo 5: Guardians prior to launch that its marketing was deceptive. The marketing was deceptive because 343 Industries/Microsoft knew the game would be controversial, so they had to do everything they could to maximize sales. Both companies (which are really only a single entity, but whatever) make dumb decisions all the time, and they've both demonstrated that they're willing to hurt their reputation for potential success in the short term.
J HOVA 8 wrote:

Once Neighbor (One of the faces of Halo 3) posted on Twitter that he was leaving Halo Infinite development because he didn't like the direction Infinite was going, I realized it probably meant they were sticking with advanced mechanics moving forward instead of classis halo. Though I guess we need to wait and find out. Hope there is a beta!
link?
If i remember right, halo 4 and 5 launched without major components.
Might be as simple as 343 doesnt know what will actually be in halo infinite yet.

If that's the case and your game population tanked why would you keep sprint? Make a game that makes people happy and you money, give the people what they want?
The fact that we haven't even heard of anything related to flights has me kinda worried.
Why though flights/betas are usually very near to the release date of a game that kind of information drop right now doesn't make much sense as it hinges on the Xbox one X series release as well?

also very early in the year imagine the main marketing focus will begin around July/August onwards so expect to hear very little at the moment.

also im kinda in the same boat as op I hope for the best but ultimately expect the worse seeing Halo 4/5 i overly enjoyed but both still had their problems and i kinda grew tired of playing both.
H5's beta started around a year before release but we haven't even heard a date for Infinite's. They want to do multiple flights this time and take in more feedback than in the past and to do that I think they'd need to start like right now but we've heard nothing.
Because Xbox is going to reveal the date. Infinite launches with the new Xbox.
The fact that we haven't even heard of anything related to flights has me kinda worried.
Why though flights/betas are usually very near to the release date of a game that kind of information drop right now doesn't make much sense as it hinges on the Xbox one X series release as well?

also very early in the year imagine the main marketing focus will begin around July/August onwards so expect to hear very little at the moment.

also im kinda in the same boat as op I hope for the best but ultimately expect the worse seeing Halo 4/5 i overly enjoyed but both still had their problems and i kinda grew tired of playing both.
H5's beta started around a year before release but we haven't even heard a date for Infinite's. They want to do multiple flights this time and take in more feedback than in the past and to do that I think they'd need to start like right now but we've heard nothing.
Yeah but we know it's at least this holiday season or at least supposed to be. I don't see why we'd have to wait for an exact release date for betas to start.

Yeah but we know it's at least this holiday season or at least supposed to be. I don't see why we'd have to wait for an exact release date for betas to start.
It's going to be between October to November, so it's hardly that big of a deal. There's no reason why they can't show us anything more than a single cutscene and an engine demonstration (unless, of course, the game's had a troubled development).
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3