Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

From Halo 4 to Infinite without missing anything

OP Terg500

With the recent finding of the hidden Cortana audio in the Infinite trailer leading to speculations about "Evil Cortana being a broken fragment" and "Infinite's fragment being the real Cortana" (she splits herself into multiple parts at the end of H4),

Infinite being set several years after Halo 5 leading to new possibilities without having to rely too heavily on H5,

Halo Infinite not being called "Halo 6: Infinite" and is described as a "spiritual reboot",

players new to the franchise will be able to understand the story even if they haven't played a Halo game before,

343 presumably letting go of Halo 5 writer Brian Reed,

Halo 5's story being a confusing mess

and 343 currently having no plans to add Halo 5 to the Master Chief Collection or port it to PC (many non-Xbox PC-only players will have only played the MCC by the time Infinite releases, ending with Halo 4)

Outpost Discovery having no Promethean or Halo4+5 showcases in general (except Lasky's uniform) and generally being focused on the classic Bungie era art styles.

would it be too far stretched to speculate that, because they "can't change the story now, it's already out there", 343 wants to bury/retcon the mistakes they had made with Halo 5's story by making it so that you could skip Halo 5 entirely and you wouldn't miss anything if you would finish Halo 4 and then go directly to Infinite?

NOTE: I will update this should I (or you) find more points that could support this theory
I suppose they could do a recap cutscene at the start to bring people up to speed.
If this is the case 343i retcon game -MYTHIC level
I suppose they could do a recap cutscene at the start to bring people up to speed.
If it shows how you had lost your arm, then sure. :-)
Terg500 wrote:
With the recent finding of the hidden Cortana audio in the Infinite trailer leading to speculations about "Evil Cortana being a broken fragment" and "Infinite's fragment being the real Cortana" (she splits herself into multiple parts at the end of H4),

Infinite being set several years after Halo 5 leading to new possibilities without having to rely too heavily on H5,

Halo Infinite not being called "Halo 6" and is described as a "spiritual reboot",

343 presumably letting go of Halo 5 writer Brian ReedHalo 5's story being a confusing messand 343 currently having no plans to add Halo 5 to the Master Chief Collection or port it to PC (many non-Xbox PC-only players will have only played the MCC by the time Infinite releases, ending with Halo 4)

would it be too far stretched to speculate that, because they "can't change the story now, it's already out there", 343 wants to bury Halo 5's story by making it so that you could skip Halo 5 entirely and you wouldn't miss anything if you would finish Halo 4 and then go directly to Infinite?
Excellent list of resources here that really add to your point. I had never seen the "Halo 5's Story being a confusing mess" graphic - did you make that? Because I don't think I ever considered just how much tie was needed to be known about before entering that game.
I had never seen the "Halo 5's Story being a confusing mess" graphic - did you make that?
Oh that is from our boi The Act Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwwyb_5jJHc&feature=youtu.be&t=358.

I don't know if he's the creator though as this chart is floating around various websites.
Terg500 wrote:

Halo Infinite not being called "Halo 6: Infinite" and is described as a "spiritual reboot",

players new to the franchise will be able to understand the story even if they haven't played a Halo game before,

343 presumably letting go of Halo 5 writer Brian Reed,

Halo 5's story being a confusing messand 343 currently having no plans to add Halo 5 to the Master Chief Collection or port it to PC (many non-Xbox PC-only players will have only played the MCC by the time Infinite releases, ending with Halo 4)

would it be too far stretched to speculate that, because they "can't change the story now, it's already out there", 343 wants to bury/retcon the mistakes they had made with Halo 5's story by making it so that you could skip Halo 5 entirely and you wouldn't miss anything if you would finish Halo 4 and then go directly to Infinite?

NOTE: I will update this should I (or you) find more points that could support this theory
Great thought, it was actually an idea in the back of my head but I could not explain it!
Yes, I think they understood how much they screwed up with Halo 5 and therefore they're doing that :)
I'm not sure about this as I haven't personally visited an Outpost Discovery event but can someone confirm this:

Did they have even one single Promethean model at the Outpost Discovery events? With the exception of Lasky's uniform it seems to be all classic stuff. This is a big stretch but possible retconing of the Prometheans / major design overhaul in Infinite that would make these models obsolete?
Also all the models they have there seem to be based on the classic Bungie art style (Reach styled Covenant size board, Halo 2 Chief, Noble six helmet etc.) which fits Infinite's goal to bring that style back.
Terg500 wrote:
I had never seen the "Halo 5's Story being a confusing mess" graphic - did you make that?

I don't know if he's the creator though as this chart is floating around various websites.
The Act Man is awesome. He's a true Halo fan and has some really good vids and opinions on all things Halo.
Terg500 wrote:

343i were the ones that made that chart, and I'm still baffled as to why. Like, one thing on that chart is tied to Halo 5. Not sure why they made it seem like so much more.