Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Future Flood Theory

OP Ken Static

Has it ever occured to anyone how the flood have actually been helpful towards humanity despite all the damage they do? Look how they wiped the Forerunners out when they thought they could act like they're suppose to be the reclaimers. Look at how they helped break the Covenant during the battle on Intallation 04 which potentially gave them the advantage to win (although the outcome was a little pyrrhic on humanity's end) and turned the tide of that massive war, look how they assisted John and Thel in reaching Installation 00's controls before it could be activated. And lastly, look at the damage they did to the Banished on that same installation years later, Atriox reported a 40% loss. It does (to a certain extent) make sense since they're just a form of the Precursors who intended for humanity to be the true reclaimers. And who's to say they won't appear in Halo Infinite since it looks grim for humanity again (and pretty much the rest of controlled space) and the pilot even said they lost everything. What if they step in to help turn the tide again?
Ken Static wrote:
Has it ever occured to anyone how the flood have actually been helpful towards humanity despite all the damage they do? Look how they wiped the Forerunners out when they thought they could act like they're suppose to be the reclaimers. Look at how they helped break the Covenant during the battle on Intallation 04 which potentially gave them the advantage to win (although the outcome was a little pyrrhic on humanity's end) and turned the tide of that massive war, look how they assisted John and Thel in reaching Installation 00's controls before it could be activated. And lastly, look at the damage they did to the Banished on that same installation years later, Atriox reported a 40% loss. It does (to a certain extent) make sense since they're just a form of the Precursors who intended for humanity to be the true reclaimers. And who's to say they won't appear in Halo Infinite since it looks grim for humanity again (and pretty much the rest of controlled space) and the pilot even said they lost everything. What if they step in to help turn the tide again?
That is a really interesting idea, it would be cool to see as well.
You seem to have confirmed your own theory when you said that the Precursors picked humanity to assume the mantle instead of the Forerunners. I tend to believe that the Flood is still playing the long game and are waiting for their chance to return and do their thing. Now with humanity on the run from the Created, it seems like an opportune moment for the Flood to come back into the fray and either do what they've done before by helping humanity defeat the Created (I define "help" very loosely here), or just dive right in and take over the whole galaxy while everyone is divided and conquered.

I suspect the Flood will never actually take over the galaxy on purpose though. They're a parasite. And a parasite can't survive without a host to feed on. The Flood's best strategy is to consume gradually while allowing their prey to continue living. If the Flood actually take over the whole galaxy, eventually they'll die out too.
Sure except they nearly wiped out humanity on Earth, they also betrayed the Chief after helping him, which nearly lead to the Ark nearly being over-run with the Flood while being contained on the crashed High Charity aka their biggest strong-hold so they could reinforce their numbers. I wouldn't say they helped with Installation 04 either seeing as they tried to assimilate any/most of the 'Pillar of Autumn' survivors and tried to kill the chief every chance they could. Not sure where OP got the 40% figure for the Banished but either way the Banished held their own quite well and the Flood repeatable tried to take over the Spirit of Fire to infect the crew.

I suspect "lost everything" probably just means the Infinite was probably destroyed/crippled, which would make sense since gives the Chief a reason to explore the broken Halo ring, I doubt it just means everything literally since I suspect/believe the original 2018 trailer is mostly likely showing survivors on the ground and suspect the same ship is the one from the 2019 trailer ship after possibly crashing. For game-play sense it makes sense to have survivor's since be hard to use vehicles like the warthog without them so I'm sure there will plenty of people on the ground.

Plus seeing as Infinite was on the run last time I saw it in H5...it would obviously be containing most of their vehicles/transports, etc, yet it currently seems to be nowhere in sight in space I suspect it's on the ground somewhere or it wouldn't make sense to show a warthog driving in the E3 2018 trailer since they had nowhere to store it on the 2018/2019 ship. I have doubts it was destroyed seeing as there does seem to be a lack of debris for such a big ship.

I think the Flood only help when it's convenient to them and will happily team up with most races if they can be manipulated to help with their end goals to infect the galaxy as easily as possible. It feels more like the Flood/Precursors care more about universal domination more than just revenge these days since the Forerunners generally seems mostly wiped out, the remnants of the race may still be in hiding.
ronnie42 wrote:
Sure except they nearly wiped out humanity on Earth, they also betrayed the Chief after helping him, which nearly lead to the Ark nearly being over-run with the Flood while being contained on the crashed High Charity aka their biggest strong-hold so they could reinforce their numbers. I wouldn't say they helped with Installation 04 either seeing as they tried to assimilate any/most of the 'Pillar of Autumn' survivors and tried to kill the chief every chance they could. Not sure where OP got the 40% figure for the Banished but either way the Banished held their own quite well and the Flood repeatable tried to take over the Spirit of Fire to infect the crew.

I suspect "lost everything" probably just means the Infinite was probably destroyed/crippled, which would make sense since gives the Chief a reason to explore the broken Halo ring, I doubt it just means everything literally since I suspect/believe the original 2018 trailer is mostly likely showing survivors on the ground and suspect the same ship is the one from the 2019 trailer ship after possibly crashing. For game-play sense it makes sense to have survivor's since be hard to use vehicles like the warthog without them so I'm sure there will plenty of people on the ground.

Plus seeing as Infinite was on the run last time I saw it in H5...it would obviously be containing most of their vehicles/transports, etc, yet it currently seems to be nowhere in sight in space I suspect it's on the ground somewhere or it wouldn't make sense to show a warthog driving in the E3 2018 trailer since they had nowhere to store it on the 2018/2019 ship. I have doubts it was destroyed seeing as there does seem to be a lack of debris for such a big ship.

I think the Flood only help when it's convenient to them and will happily team up with most races if they can be manipulated to help with their end goals to infect the galaxy as easily as possible. It feels more like the Flood/Precursors care more about universal domination more than just revenge these days since the Forerunners generally seems mostly wiped out, the remnants of the race may still be in hiding.
Well remember, the Precursors were truly neutral beings since they were gods. They don't hold no ties to good and evil technically. And if you payed attention in (or even played) Halo Wars 2, Pavium told Atriox he lost 40% of his troops In the last mission for Awakening the Nightmare. I kept hearing the possibility of Infinity being destroyed too, that worries me but makes for a compelling story.
Ken Static wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
Well remember, the Precursors were truly neutral beings since they were gods. They don't hold no ties to good and evil technically. And if you payed attention in (or even played) Halo Wars 2, Pavium told Atriox he lost 40% of his troops In the last mission for Awakening the Nightmare. I kept hearing the possibility of Infinity being destroyed too, that worries me but makes for a compelling story.
Not entirely true, well they weren't gods but they were just an advanced race. From what I can gather the Pre-cursors were planning to wipe out the Forerunners for being 'unworthy', I'm pretty sure global extermination of an entire species is in every sense evil since it's a racist move to make against an entire species regardless of different believes and since they became the 'Flood' their goals had escalated to universal conquest and have shown to not be trustworthy in both the extended lore and within the games.

If you had checked my profile, then you would know that I've already completed AtN numerous times, that does not mean I recall every single detail, even then doing research online does not seem to verify your claims, which is why I've said I'm unclear where you got the figure of 40% from...seeing as I couldn't verify this from sites like Halopedia, etc...

I feel like Infinity needs to be destroyed since I feel like it was overpowered, made the Covenant seem less intimidating since it was introduced.
The only problem is that humanity is meant to be "tested" for the Mantle, it isn't a guaranteed thing (Primordium). Of course, we also heard it from the Gravemind that they intend the Flood to consume all life to face pain and torment forever so that nothing may ever rise against the Precursors again (Silentium). The idea the Flood is helping humanity is interesting, but if humans are supposed to be tested it's the equivalent of the teacher giving the student being tested the answer key. A -Yoink- test.
The only problem is that humanity is meant to be "tested" for the Mantle, it isn't a guaranteed thing (Primordium). Of course, we also heard it from the Gravemind that they intend the Flood to consume all life to face pain and torment forever so that nothing may ever rise against the Precursors again (Silentium). The idea the Flood is helping humanity is interesting, but if humans are supposed to be tested it's the equivalent of the teacher giving the student being tested the answer key. A -Yoink- test.
This is exactly why I hope we never get a 100% resolution to this question. Some things should remain a mystery so that we as a fandom can speculate and argue (in a good way) all day long about what the Flood actually plans to do. Are they plotting for some big finale? Are they just a simple agent of chaos trying to keep the universe interesting? Are they a mere parasite with no other motivation besides their next meal? Have they stuck to some grand plan brought on by the Precurors, or have they branched off to form their own plans?

Once something is known, it's not much fun to talk about. Countless posts on Waypoint end with someone linking a Halopedia page to answer the OP's question. I've done this several times. But stuff like this is just fantastic for the lore community.

Didn't mean to hijack anyone's post with this point, so sorry if I did. I just got off work and have discovered a new drink called a Tequila Paloma and I'm in a good mood.
The Flood only care for infecting everyone. Historical instances where humanity was seemingly spared by the Flood had the ulterior motive of messing with the Forerunners.

Allying with Arbiter and the Chief during the events of Halo 3 were in the best interest to the responsible Gravemind. If Truth had managed to irrevocably activate the Halo Array, it would mean the end for not just the Flood, and as such the Gravemind succesfully appealed to both the Arbiter and the Chief.

While it's true that the Precursors intended humanity to take on the Mantle, their conflict with the Forerunners resulted in the decision to create the Flood to ensure nobody would rise up against them ever again. They did not make an exception for humanity, the effects of which can clearly be seen in their general hostility versus the humans.

Long story short, never trust a Gravemind.
We don't know anyone's true motives. All we have are opinions and possible lies. Precursors weren't gods, but they were upheld that way by some/most Forerunners. The idea that Humanity being aided by the Precursors/Flood seeming like cheating has merit. If the Precursors gave up on Forerunners and wanted to test Humanity instead, I could believe them helping to defeat Forerunners and then peace out to leave time for Humanity to give it a go. If the Precursors/Flood were observing everything after the firing of the Array, they'd see that the Covenant were definitely not worthy of the Mantle. So they'd swoop in again and aid Humanity to getting rid of them to further Humanity's ascension. Once they see Humanity achieve their maximum potential, they'd return for our final test.

If that makes any sense we have to consider what Humanity's maximum potential would be. Would our current post-war, flashy Infinity make us the current top and be good enough for testing? Or do we have to surpass the height that Ancient Humanity once achieved? As long as it's the Precursors making the rules, we won't know until they drop it in our lap. And then hope we're ready.

If the Flood returns in Infinite, would it be as part of our test? Or would it just be them coming in to get rid of the Created that stand in our path to worthiness?
There’s also secret option C: everyone realizes the Mantle is a crock of -Yoink- and should be rejected by the galaxy at large as the interventionist/imperialist ideology it is. Therefore, the real test is to see if everyone can band together to defeat a common foe.
I don't think so. The Flood aren't concerned with helping humanity so much as they are just taking over everything. They only assisted humanity because they were trying to keep the playing field level so they could insert themselves into a conflict where two sides are focused on destroying each other and sweep all weakened sides off the board. I'm not sure whether or not the Flood could win in a hypothetical 1v1 with humanity, but they certainly couldn't with the Covenant, which was close to winning the war. Therefore, it was in their best interest to keep both parties attacking each other while picking the stronger off so they're closely matched.

The only reason the Flood won against the Forerunners is because they had Mendicant Bias and the Primordial amongst other circumstances. In a direct 1v1, the Flood as they appear in the Halo trilogy would probably not win against the Forerunners.

MysticKami wrote:
We don't know anyone's true motives. All we have are opinions and possible lies.
Actions reveal true motives.