3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
L30N 1337 wrote:
L30N 1337 wrote:
the whole h2 system with thruster pack
great idea.

But,
if you mean halo 5 thruster: No, it felt too clunky and cheaty. plus it kinda sucked, it never saved my sorry -Yoink-.

if you mean reach: nevermind the above!
reach never had thruster pack. h5 system added a new whole level of 1v1 which was awesome
I think he might be thinking of the Halo 4 thruster pack which was a neat prototype to the system we got in Halo 5. The Halo 5 thrusters are love and I'd certainly hope 343 bring them back for Halo:Infinite.
i meant the jet-pack. i call it the thruster pack.
Ah, gotcha. Well, the jet pack was a completely different ball game (and axis of orientation) and I doubt we'll see it again since armor abilties were given the shaft post-Halo 4 (with good reason, IMO, but I won't get into that).
I'd want it to play like a faster, more consistent Halo 3 with it's own stylistic flair added. At the end of the day, Infinite cannot afford to be a carbon copy of any game but it does have to derive inspiration from somewhere. I just want the game to be more methodical and deliberate than Halo 5, yet more exhilarating and thrilling than Halo 2/3's slowwwwwwwwww pacing. The campaign should be as open and explorable as the E3 trailer suggested, with a balance of shooting galleries and new set-pieces.

Perhaps a stealth mission could play well with Halo's primarily sand-boxy gameplay mechanics. Or maybe we must tackle with a new vehicle. Or even play on an environment we've never seen before on a Halo ring (we've already played through grasslands, snowy sections, and forerunner-themed hallways. What about a manufacturing line for Sentinels and Enforcers, etc...?)
I personally hope it mostly resembles Halo 1 - 3. I know it is a personal preference , but I always saw the original trilogy movement just as you described (actually going really fast , but slowed so that our minds could keep up). I never enjoyed the even slightly enhanced mobility of Halo:Reach. I have always felt that Halo was a tactical shooter ; if you want a twitch shooter , those exist in a multitude of various forms ; Halo was always unique because of that.
L30N 1337 wrote:
L30N 1337 wrote:
the whole h2 system with thruster pack
great idea.

But,
if you mean halo 5 thruster: No, it felt too clunky and cheaty. plus it kinda sucked, it never saved my sorry -Yoink-.

if you mean reach: nevermind the above!
reach never had thruster pack. h5 system added a new whole level of 1v1 which was awesome
I think he might be thinking of the Halo 4 thruster pack which was a neat prototype to the system we got in Halo 5. The Halo 5 thrusters are love and I'd certainly hope 343 bring them back for Halo:Infinite.
hope so!
it should inspiration from halo 2 and 3
I think it should take inspirations of the original trilogy gameplay without being just a copy of it.
Maybe some inspirations from Reach as well (not the bloom, it's bad)
YukiryuFR wrote:
I think it should take inspirations of the original trilogy gameplay without being just a copy of it.
Maybe some inspirations from Reach as well (not the bloom, it's bad)
Inspiration from, but not a copy. That's what I'd like to see too; but if there was one it had to take more influences from than others, I'd pick Halo 2 Anniversary with a dash of Reach.

One of my thoughts about the Full Classic theory is that it'd be contrary to what I keep hearing brought up by people: "Innovate! Be a leader again!" in that if it's a total clone of Halo 2 or 3 "but with better graphics" then what is it doing to innovate? Any time something new or different is suggested people shoot it down by insisting "that's copying another game" or "that's not Halo at all", so how can Halo innovate if anything that's not Classic gets shot down? Nothing 'new' can be added because some other game in existence already has it or because it's not Classic. Even if it's not something radically different, it justs gets waved off "because it's not Halo". So how can it 'innovate' - whatever that means at this point - if anything that wasn't a part of Halo 2 or 3 is a bad thing?

The other problem is that by doing a full 180 there it'd be pushing away the players that actually liked Reach, 4, and/or 5. So personally, I think that H2A or Reach would be an ideal starting point to 'feel like'. Reach felt like a good middle ground between the new and the old, though 5 to me came fairly close as well. So that's my thought. But regardless of what they do, someone somewhere's going to be upset.
There are so many things tied to gameplay, so it's hard to decide.

All I know is that I want this franchise to stand out again, be it's own thing and not look at other games and copy things for the sake of copying.

• Run and Gun Gameplay (No Sprint, No Clamber) like CE-3, I can live with something like a "2nd gear" but the player should never be forced to let their weapons down. This is what makes a game actually really faster, not some animations. Same goes for clamber, I still facepalm myself when I see the maps in H5 that were tweaked here and there to make it more relevant. In my opinion, its absolutely pointless. Slows down the gameplay and more verticality can be achieved in other ways way more efficiently.
  • I can live with something similiar to Thrusters / Evade & Stabilizer or anything else, that doesn't slow the gameplay down as Sprint & Clamber in my eyes do.
  • Vehicle / Infantry balance is where H3 shines.
  • CE campaign is where Legendary difficulty in campaign shines
  • H2 & and H3 shine with the most creative maps until today with tons of dynamique map elements, this is something to look at while designing the maps for H:Infinite. CE also had some interesting concepts, but it didn't really work out. But I appreciate the creativity and the desire to make something new.
  • Reach shines with versatile gameplay ideas in campaign (Space Mission, use of mac cannons etc.) This is something Infinite can, or lets say SHOULD build upon. I dont know if everyone remembers this, but Bungie had this mentality to put something cool in a game, test the reactions and when they think it's cool -> they'll give the power to the players. (Well, it was not on purpose, but you get what I mean) Examples: Wraith & Energy Sword in CE > 2) or Turrets (H2-H3), or even the Scarab, which was "just" a scripted vehicle in H2, but in H3 it would target you & the marines. Make use of the Halo universe and blow peoples minds. Maybe let the players drive a Scarab in a new firefight Mode, maybe introduce a new Multiplayer Gamemodes in Space with sabres etc.
  • I'd remove tons of unnecessary weapons without any special role in the weapon sandbox. Less weapons with unique features > Tons of reskins.
  • Projectile focused weapon sandbox. If your main weapon is going to be the BR again > no random spread.
  • I can totally live with equipment, because equipments doesnt determine how the whole game plays. You can place one equipment in one particular map and completly ignore it on another.
  • More Verticality in maps. And by verticality I mean real verticality and not a position you can simply reach within 2 jumps. CE, 2 and in certain maps Reach did a good on that aspect. Additionally to that, I'd like to see Fall damage return as an option.
Level design, artstyle, sound design, story, game modes, etc, etc. All that aside; which game would you most like Halo: Infinite to resemble strictly in terms of gameplay?
(I.e. Gunplay, movement options, weapon options, equipment options, etc.)

• Halo: Combat Evolved
  • Halo 2
  • Halo 3
  • Halo 3: ODST
  • Halo: Reach
  • Halo 4
  • Halo 2: Anniversary
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Other (Non-Halo Title)
And why?
Halo Reach for me.

Gritty Art style, emotional soundtracks, environment with open areas and many vehicles, group work.
eviltedi wrote:
...an explorable world...
Celestis wrote:
...more freeroaming (with or without open world, I don't care)...
Oh god, if they're going to do this then I hope to god that they don't try and emulate what Gears 5 did or fall into the same boring gameplay patterns. Gears 5 proved that you cant just take a linear story-driven shooter and give it an open world section without it being an incredibly lackluster change of pace. It was bad enough that Gears 5 had one of these sections to slog through but when the second one was revealed I died a little inside. I can't see Halo Infinite's being any more interesting just because you get to drive a Warthog around rather than a skiff.

Lets hope they stick to the semi-open linear levels the series is known for with actual narrative motivation getting you through it rather than a bunch of isolated, disconnected fights dotted around an over-sized, uninteresting map with absolutely no importance to the story.
In terms of tone I want the game to be closest to H2 and H3. They had the right mix of serious, comedy, and epicness that defined halo for me. H4 and H5 took themselves a little too seriously in both the gameplay and story and it hurt both games.

In terms of gameplay, I want infinite to be its own thing, but mix in elements of H2, H3, and H5. H2 had the perfect base movement mechanics that kept the game fast pace. H3 had the best campaign map designs. Each map had some type of dynamic element to it that I would like to see built on in infinite. H3 also had the highest replayability due to its great vehicle sections and how most things were not scripted and just dictated by the physics. I liked the added movement that H5 added with the thrusters and I thought some of H5s level designs were pretty good. The first level on Sanghelios had great design imo, both visually and gameplay wise with the added verticality and multiple ways to approach each fight. Infinite needs to take some of these elements and build on and evolve them so that it feels like Halo, but is its own game.
Halo 2 anniversary,

no armor abilities
no gadgets
only base variant weapons (no req variants)
well balanced weapons
good hit detection/registration
quick movement speed despite no sprint
eviltedi wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Oh god, if they're going to do this then I hope to god that they don't try and emulate what Gears 5 did or fall into the same boring gameplay patterns. Gears 5 proved that you cant just take a linear story-driven shooter and give it an open world section without it being an incredibly lackluster change of pace. It was bad enough that Gears 5 had one of these sections to slog through but when the second one was revealed I died a little inside. I can't see Halo Infinite's being any more interesting just because you get to drive a Warthog around rather than a skiff.

Lets hope they stick to the semi-open linear levels the series is known for with actual narrative motivation getting you through it rather than a bunch of isolated, disconnected fights dotted around an over-sized, uninteresting map with absolutely no importance to the story.
The open world areas of Gears 5 were terrible due to the lack of enemies imo. If there had been more to do it would have been better. Gears 5 was a disaster imo, let's hope Halo Infinite will be ready for launch.
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
Celestis wrote:

The open world areas of Gears 5 were terrible due to the lack of enemies imo. If there had been more to do it would have been better. Gears 5 was a disaster imo, let's hope Halo Infinite will be ready for launch.
um, you mean ready AT launch? im just wondering. also yeah, Gears 5 was pretty bad tbh.
Halo. 3.
Movement: Halo 5 Mythic Arena
Story: Not Halo 5 - More Halo CE
Level/World Design: Halo CE but bigger, Open world/ring would be interesting.
Design: Classic but a mix of the modern. UNSC needs to go back to the more 'form over function' design philosophy.

Well, I was mostly referring to what Halo CE did in its second level, well, "Halo" where you could rescue the three groups of marines in any order you chose. Or "The Silent Cartographer" which let you drive around the entire island (not that it's that big, but still) and disable the security system before even finding the Cartographer building.
I would like more of that.
Celestis wrote:

Well, I was mostly referring to what Halo CE did in its second level, well, "Halo" where you could rescue the three groups of marines in any order you chose. Or "The Silent Cartographer" which let you drive around the entire island (not that it's that big, but still) and disable the security system before even finding the Cartographer building.
I would like more of that.
Yes, these are excellent examples of what I meant by semi-open levels (I forgot to give examples, my bad).
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
Celestis wrote:

um, you mean ready AT launch? im just wondering. also yeah, Gears 5 was pretty bad tbh.
No, for is the correct preposition for time, at is for a place, as in taxi is AT the door. I hope Halo Infinite will be ready for it's launch date. As in complete, stress tested etc. Let's hope it's a great Halo game with it's own identity. As stated if I want a Halo CE through to Halo 5 I have them all, something new and fresh to the FPS genre is badly needed imo, would be great if Halo Infinite was that game.
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
eviltedi wrote:
Celestis wrote:

No, for is the correct preposition for time, at is for a place, as in taxi is AT the door. I hope Halo Infinite will be ready for it's launch date. As in complete, stress tested etc. Let's hope it's a great Halo game with it's own identity. As stated if I want a Halo CE through to Halo 5 I have them all, something new and fresh to the FPS genre is badly needed imo, would be great if Halo Infinite was that game.
yeah, i just realized what you meant. i was extremely tired when i wrote that.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3