[Locked] Grapple Shot Is Dumb

OP FrozenOrc627197

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I like it. Seems fun.
I agree with the OP
First off, the grapple shot doesn't make any sense functionally. Does it impale objects or does it grapple them? If it impales objects, then how does it not explode fusion coils? If it grapples onto objects, then how are you grabbing onto enemies, fusion coils, and cliff walls equally?
Second, how does Chief, weighing 450kg, get pulled towards jackals, grunts, and elites (elites weigh around 178kg). Brutes weigh around 680kg, but would still lurch forward if Chief was being pulled towards them.
Third, I get that it's the year 2560, but there's no way a grappling hook that size can pull the master chief up a cliff wall. Are physics too much to ask for? Why not make it a big bulky brute like grappling gun (grappling gun even sounds cooler). It could shoot a giant harpoon like claw that can either attach itself to the cliff face, take the head off a grunt, or stun a brute. Perhaps, if you use it offensively, the hooks breakdown overtime, forcing you be smart about what you're using it for. But if you're in a snag, it can be a great option to quickly disable an enemy. The careful player can therefore traverse a level much quicker via the cliffs while the aggressive player will traverse slower by having to walk the long way.
Fourth, why add the grappling hook as a movement mechanic when 343i already established thrusters? Or better yet, Bungie introduced jetpacks. Both options provide the same movement mechanics but are already established in the lore and are more futuristic than a grappling hook will ever be.
Fifth, if 343i is adamant about adding a grappling hook, why not make it look like something from the year 2560? Why not something where Chief throws out a piece of equipment onto a brute (think of like a magnet) and then Chief sticks out his hand and it pulls him towards it and when he makes a connection he melees it in the face. Or go full on resourceful and have Chief use a long metal chain as a laso so something.
Sixth, the grapple shot just seems so cheesy. Just because every game has a grappling hook doesn't mean Halo needed one. And if they want to add it in, fine; but at least be original about it in some capacity. This just seems soooo lazy.
It doesn't need to be physically possible, it's a video game! It's fun, just leave it be.
MerlinG2 wrote:
First off, the grapple shot doesn't make any sense functionally. Does it impale objects or does it grapple them? If it impales objects, then how does it not explode fusion coils? If it grapples onto objects, then how are you grabbing onto enemies, fusion coils, and cliff walls equally?
Second, how does Chief, weighing 450kg, get pulled towards jackals, grunts, and elites (elites weigh around 178kg). Brutes weigh around 680kg, but would still lurch forward if Chief was being pulled towards them.
Third, I get that it's the year 2560, but there's no way a grappling hook that size can pull the master chief up a cliff wall. Are physics too much to ask for? Why not make it a big bulky brute like grappling gun (grappling gun even sounds cooler). It could shoot a giant harpoon like claw that can either attach itself to the cliff face, take the head off a grunt, or stun a brute. Perhaps, if you use it offensively, the hooks breakdown overtime, forcing you be smart about what you're using it for. But if you're in a snag, it can be a great option to quickly disable an enemy. The careful player can therefore traverse a level much quicker via the cliffs while the aggressive player will traverse slower by having to walk the long way.
Fourth, why add the grappling hook as a movement mechanic when 343i already established thrusters? Or better yet, Bungie introduced jetpacks. Both options provide the same movement mechanics but are already established in the lore and are more futuristic than a grappling hook will ever be.
Fifth, if 343i is adamant about adding a grappling hook, why not make it look like something from the year 2560? Why not something where Chief throws out a piece of equipment onto a brute (think of like a magnet) and then Chief sticks out his hand and it pulls him towards it and when he makes a connection he melees it in the face. Or go full on resourceful and have Chief use a long metal chain as a laso so something.
Sixth, the grapple shot just seems so cheesy. Just because every game has a grappling hook doesn't mean Halo needed one. And if they want to add it in, fine; but at least be original about it in some capacity. This just seems soooo lazy.
It doesn't need to be physically possible, it's a video game! It's fun, just leave it be.
It may be a game, but games needs rules to play by. Rules establish what a player is and isn't able to do. A player who can do anything and everything has no obstacles to overcome; no victory to have. And most importantly, a game is especially fun when players try to break the rules. Think of the AA wraith glitch in Halo 3, or getting out of the maps, or any Youtube video General Kidd makes. To quote the Incredibles "When everyone's special, no one is". Physics = rules.
I don't mind the new Grapple-shot. Something different and new. Imagine what it can do with the upgrade? Only time will tell. :)
I don't mind the new Grapple-shot. Something different and new. Imagine what it can do with the upgrade? Only time will tell. :)
The problem is that it isn't new, in the context of the game industry. By simply adding a grappling hook, without any sort of meaningful change, Halo is simply copying from other games again. We both agree that it can be fun but I don't agree it's being implemented well and believe it hurts Halo's image.
MerlinG2 wrote:
It may be a game, but games needs rules to play by. Rules establish what a player is and isn't able to do. A player who can do anything and everything has no obstacles to overcome; no victory to have. And most importantly, a game is especially fun when players try to break the rules. Think of the AA wraith glitch in Halo 3, or getting out of the maps, or any Youtube video General Kidd makes. To quote the Incredibles "When everyone's special, no one is". Physics = rules.
A game can have rules and still have one item in a while sandbox not be physically possible. People can still break the boundaries and have fun. Think of the amount of people that will try to fling themselves outside the map, see what mad tricks they can pull off, and maybe get to places they shouldn't in general! If anything, it creates more challenges people will want to try, and more fun to be had.

Also, this isn't a dig, but what did you mean with that quote? Like it doesn't argue your point. Unless I'm being dumb and not reading it right, which is perfectly possible.
MerlinG2 wrote:
But you'll then argue "Spartans can sprint why can't I in game?!?!?!" Sorry I didn't know spartans are so incapable in their abilities it is impossible to be moving fastly all the time and be able to shoot accurately all the time.
I guess the installation 00 will have hard time to figure out how the hell the grapple hook works lol.
MerlinG2 wrote:
First off, the grapple shot doesn't make any sense functionally.
Games obviously need rules to play by, but the rules don’t have to mirror those of the real world.

Does it make sense for a single DMR headshot to kill an unshielded target, but the same isn’t true for the AR (even though they use the same ammo)? Does it make sense for them to have separate ammo reserves, given that fact?

Does it make sense for a shielded target to normally require multiple melee hits to kill but go down with one in the back, even if they have shields strong enough to survive direct hits from a SPNKr or energy sword (like players with overshields or H3’s Brute Chieftains when activating their Invincibility equipment)?

Does it make sense to move at the same speed when carrying a SPNKr and sniper rifle as when carrying a magnum and plasma pistol?

These questions all share the same answer: it doesn’t make conventional sense for these things to work the ways they do, but there are clear and consistent rules within the games that make them more engaging or avoid problems that could arise if they more closely imitated real life.

Game rules of the grappleshot, as we’ve seen so far:
  • Grappling map geometry and enemies pulls the player to to that location
  • Grappling interactable elements like fusion coils* pulls them to the player
*and probably weapons/equipment, we’ll see
its a piece of utility equipment added to the sandbox. I don't care if it moving a spartan makes no sense. Does it give players a superior form of advanced movement and or utility when it comes to encounters? Yes. Cool.
It's just Halo 5 all over again with the thrusters, but they take you further this time and upward, this is the kind of thing that destroyed Halos gameplay back in h5 and even though people have told them this they stay with it, that's my opinion.
A6ENT C wrote:
MerlinG2 wrote:
Games obviously need rules to play by, but the rules don’t have to mirror those of the real world.

Does it make sense for a single DMR headshot to kill an unshielded target, but the same isn’t true for the AR (even though they use the same ammo)? Does it make sense for them to have separate ammo reserves, given that fact?

Does it make sense for a shielded target to normally require multiple melee hits to kill but go down with one in the back, even if they have shields strong enough to survive direct hits from a SPNKr or energy sword (like players with overshields or H3’s Brute Chieftains when activating their Invincibility equipment)?

Does it make sense to move at the same speed when carrying a SPNKr and sniper rifle as when carrying a magnum and plasma pistol?

These questions all share the same answer: it doesn’t make conventional sense for these things to work the ways they do, but there are clear and consistent rules within the games that make them more engaging or avoid problems that could arise if they more closely imitated real life.

All of those things actually do make sense if you understand physics and basic anatomy. Different guns have different effects. Assault rifle rounds/shots are weaker than DMR. A hit in the back is way worse than a hit anywhere else because your spine is on your back. For a spartan the SPNKr and sniper are just as light as a magnum, they even address this in odst where when an odst grabs a machine gun turret they actually move faster because the weight is effecting them. Spartans have picked up mongooses and beat grunts with them so to a spartan most guns feel weightless.
I personally dig it! I can look past the realism aspect so long as it’s fun to use in gameplay. 😜
Spam8358 wrote:
It's just Halo 5 all over again with the thrusters, but they take you further this time and upward, this is the kind of thing that destroyed Halos gameplay back in h5 and even though people have told them this they stay with it, that's my opinion.
You realize that it's been confirmed as a pickup in multiplayer? As in it's equipment akin to something like the bubble shield in Halo 3. The only "advanced mobility" in the game is sprint and clamber...
Im more of a purist who prefers the basics but the graple hook does look interesting in campaign, its one of the more tolerable additions to the game. HOWEVER i dont want that in MP at all, can you imagine some mlg tryhard grappling around the map like spiderman, would look ridiculous and be a total pain to play against
Spam8358 wrote:
You realize that it's been confirmed as a pickup in multiplayer? As in it's equipment akin to something like the bubble shield in Halo 3. The only "advanced mobility" in the game is sprint and clamber...
I know but I am not talking about the mp, soulely campaign. The mp sounds great but sp is much more importante to me.
A6ENT C wrote:
MerlinG2 wrote:

All of those things actually do make sense if you understand physics and basic anatomy. Different guns have different effects. Assault rifle rounds/shots are weaker than DMR. A hit in the back is way worse than a hit anywhere else because your spine is on your back. For a spartan the SPNKr and sniper are just as light as a magnum, they even address this in odst where when an odst grabs a machine gun turret they actually move faster because the weight is effecting them. Spartans have picked up mongooses and beat grunts with them so to a spartan most guns feel weightless.
While I concede my initial point about the DMR & AR and headshot capabilities, noting that different firearms can use the same cartridges and apply more/less force, that doesn’t explain why (aside from H5) the AR deals no extra damage to headshots. It also doesn’t say anything regarding them sharing reserve ammo.

Energy shields absorb all applied force until depleted and aren’t depleted faster when force is applied to the back via ballistics or plasma.

A Mongoose weighs 406 kg (900 lb), while a fully-loaded H3 flamethrower weighs 55.5 kg (125.5 lb). You mean to tell me it makes sense for a Spartan capable of using a Mongoose as a melee weapon to be noticeably slowed by carrying 55.5 kg, but not at all when carrying 38.7 kg Gravity Hammer (using movement speed with a 3.5 kg (7.7 lb) plasma pistol?

What about ODSTs being able to jump unhindered while hauling around a chaingun, missile pod, or flamethrower (which was the only one of the three I could find the weight of)? Their movement being unchanged regardless of weapons carried?
A6ENT C wrote:
A6ENT C wrote:
MerlinG2 wrote:

While I concede my initial point about the DMR & AR and headshot capabilities, noting that different firearms can use the same cartridges and apply more/less force, that doesn’t explain why (aside from H5) the AR deals no extra damage to headshots. It also doesn’t say anything regarding them sharing reserve ammo.

Energy shields absorb all applied force until depleted and aren’t depleted faster when force is applied to the back via ballistics or plasma.

A Mongoose weighs 406 kg (900 lb), while a fully-loaded H3 flamethrower weighs 55.5 kg (125.5 lb). You mean to tell me it makes sense for a Spartan capable of using a Mongoose as a melee weapon to be noticeably slowed by carrying 55.5 kg, but not at all when carrying 38.7 kg Gravity Hammer (using movement speed with a 3.5 kg (7.7 lb) plasma pistol?

What about ODSTs being able to jump unhindered while hauling around a chaingun, missile pod, or flamethrower (which was the only one of the three I could find the weight of)? Their movement being unchanged regardless of weapons carried?
Capable doesn't signify ease. Flamethrower is heavier and is held in a significantly more taxing position than a gravity hammer (which weighs less)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7