Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Grappleshot should look more futuristic!

OP N1K Leonhart

The grappleshot needs to look more futuristic imo,like some energy colored grapple.What you guys think?
I think it looks fine like it is. More of the military shooter style from the old Halos than the sci-fi from the last titles.
I think it looks alright. The only other way I can imagine it looking is similar to the grapple beam from Metroid (specifically the Prime series).
The grappleshot needs to look more futuristic imo,like some energy colored grapple.What you guys think?
Considering it’s supposed to be a Human/UNSC price of equipment that design language would infer that it looks more metallic and grounded in reality by design.

If the Banished had their own counterpart to the grapple hook I could see that looking more futuristic but considering they have other technology I don’t think they’d need a grapple hook.
TheDonCJG wrote:
Considering it’s supposed to be a Human/UNSC price of equipment that design language would infer that it looks more metallic and grounded in reality by design.

If the Banished had their own counterpart to the grapple hook I could see that looking more futuristic but considering they have other technology I don’t think they’d need a grapple hook.
UNSC has used Covenant technology like shields in the Spartans armor,Infinity ship is equipped with Forerunner parts.
The Banished have Jet packs,honestly i would rather have Chief use a Jet pack also instead of Canon breaking Grappleshot!
TheDonCJG wrote:

UNSC has used Covenant technology like shields in the Spartans armor,Infinity ship is equipped with Forerunner parts.
The Banished have Jet packs,honestly i would rather have Chief use a Jet pack also instead of Canon breaking Grappleshot!
Being equipped with Forerunner parts and using reversed engineered Covenant technology helped humanity as assets on the battlefield. What you want is just for something to look flashy when they would both serve the same purpose.
TheDonCJG wrote:

Being equipped with Forerunner parts and using reversed engineered Covenant technology helped humanity as assets on the battlefield. What you want is just for something to look flashy when they would both serve the same purpose.
As much as a realistic human military would do something like reverse engineering (not that the UNSC hasn't) we have to consider the design philosophy of the UNSC from a gameplay standpoint.

The UNSC are still using weapons that are fairly grounded by our standards, it's extremely recognizable weaponry for 500 years in the future. They've always made humanity feel familiar and realistic throughout the Halo games.

When you start to incorporate other design philosophies into the UNSC they start to lose that familiarity, and thus we become disconnected with them. It's like if Humanity started using plasma weapons all of a sudden and the covenant started using bullets, it's just a strange mishmash of designs that don't mesh well. That's why it's important to keep things very distinct and unique among each faction, even if it doesn't fully make sense from a real life standpoint.

In the director's commentary of Halo 1, Joseph Staten (humorously) mentioned that in the future a glass of water will be all you need to kill all your enemies, that's why they made the guns we see today rather than make some sort of evolved humanity.
i don't really care how it looks, as long as its only in the campaign and not in MM
Sypriz wrote:
i don't really care how it looks, as long as its only in the campaign and not in MM
It’s gonna be a pickup in mm, right? I think that’s how they said they’re doing it.
It's a grappling hook that can haul a dude that weighs as much as a compact car across a canyon, among other things. The futuristic angle has been met imo. As for design, I'd rather the grittier and more rustic design we have already. H4 and H5 leaned way too far into the "so futuristic that everything is shiny and chrome" angle. I'd hate to see Infinite make the same mistake for a third time.
I like it the way it looks personally.
I think it fits the UNSC aesthetic. Their visuals have always looked pretty grounded, like more near future instead of full blown futuristic sci fi like Star Wars or something. I would imagine an alien grapple looking more like something you're describing.
I don’t have much issue with the grapple hook, the CE pistol is a good example of a grounded futuristic weapon that is recognizable to our current society as a human weapon. Great design for the Pistol overall, tho.