Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Grappling Hook Opinions?

OP MerlinG2

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
In the box art, on Chief's left hand there's what looks to be a grappling hook. What do you think of it?
depends how you can use it. if you can use it anywhere, i think it wiill be kinda bad. I dont think that will be the case however i feel it will be able to be used in certain places to get to new areas, which i think will be fine.
I have no idea what that thing is. Is there a reason people think it looks like a grappling hook? For all we know it shoots darts!
I'm of the thought it's a grapple hook too. I mean, the other obvious options are a dart launcher thing, or a holo-map for an open-world. Visually, I don't buy it being able to carry the Chief. He's 7"2, and has a mass of 1000 kg, while that thing is about the size of my hand. Yes, it's 2561, but...Eh...

For gameplay, it could do anything. We just don't know enough to even remotely accurately guess its purpose. Could be for getting around, or it could be for bringing smaller enemies towards us. Can we use it to grab weapons and such from a distance? Maybe its just a cool designer watch. We'll have to wait until tomorrow.
I have no idea what that thing is. Is there a reason people think it looks like a grappling hook? For all we know it shoots darts!
There was a leak a while back that claimed 343 where playing around with implementing a grappling hook, it was confirmed to be true by Frankie, but he went on to say that it never made it past prototyping and was scrapped.

(I know leaks are against the rules but as this was swept under the rug over a year ago and I’m just providing context as to why people are making said assumption, surely what I’ve said is okay mods? Sorry if not).
There was a leak a while back that claimed 343 where playing around with implementing a grappling hook, it was confirmed to be true by Frankie, but he went on to say that it never made it past prototyping and was scrapped.

(I know leaks are against the rules but as this was swept under the rug over a year ago and I’m just providing context as to why people are making said assumption, surely what I’ve said is okay mods? Sorry if not).
If Frankie has commented on it you're good.

If Frankie has commented on it you're good.
I’m pretty sure that he did, like I said this was a year (or more ago)!
Gameplaywise I won't have an opinion until I saw it in action.
Lorewise I'd really like to know how this small hook is supposed to be able to lift half a ton of Mjolnir armor.
SMOK69KMK wrote:
Gameplaywise I won't have an opinion until I saw it in action.
Lorewise I'd really like to know how this small hook is supposed to be able to lift half a ton of Mjolnir armor.
Wire made of unicorn hair, just like how the suspension of the Halo 3 Mongoose is made of unicorn horns.
Probably can be used to grab enemies from a distance and wham them with a 180
It's a grappling hook. Zoom in where the most outward silver meets the purple tip. The lighting shows a small air gap there. That silver piece detaches with it making 4 extensions.
I'm hoping it's either an equipment item or an armor mod that's restricted to particular environments.
As equipment, good.
By default, depends, but hopefully can be enabled/disabled.

I'm also curious if it's going to have physics or just batman-style float to your destination. What's the range on it? Will it get you all the way there, or just give you a boost in that direction (sorta like thrusters)? Can it be detached/canceled mid travel? Can you swing with it? Can it have a secondary attach point, to tie objects together (like Just Cause)?

I can't wait for them to show it off tomorrow.

Final thought: grappling hook sounds more 007 or Batman than Halo, but it could work well with Halo's physics-based sandbox.
una yp wrote:
depends how you can use it. if you can use it anywhere, i think it wiill be kinda bad. I dont think that will be the case however i feel it will be able to be used in certain places to get to new areas, which i think will be fine.
I do like this idea... for some places it would be too easy to discover hidden areas that are high up. It might be for certain tasks, like using it as a pull cord to tear down a door, accessing certain campaign areas like an empty elevator shaft... some platforming things like doom eternal did.

I would also love to see it used for new animations, like assassinations and hijacking. In MP? I don't think it should be there. That would just add "more" like Halo 5 did. If they allowed it in PVE modes, that would be ok I guess, but not a core ability to the combat.

It could also be used like the Sky Hook in Bioshock Infinite (it was used as transportation on metal rails, used in melee executions, and was used to hang from stationary hooks to shoot down on enemies). I guess we'll just have to see what's in store tomorrow morning.
I'm of the thought it's a grapple hook too. I mean, the other obvious options are a dart launcher thing, or a holo-map for an open-world. Visually, I don't buy it being able to carry the Chief. He's 7"2, and has a mass of 1000 kg, while that thing is about the size of my hand. Yes, it's 2561, but...Eh...

For gameplay, it could do anything. We just don't know enough to even remotely accurately guess its purpose. Could be for getting around, or it could be for bringing smaller enemies towards us. Can we use it to grab weapons and such from a distance? Maybe its just a cool designer watch. We'll have to wait until tomorrow.
I would be cool if it could be used as an alternate fire mode for grenades (in campaign, you'd have to choose which to use at that moment). It could be used as like an explosive, incendiary, or freezing dart launcher, maybe even grav darts. It could be anything right now until we see.
D1LLYBEAN wrote:
As equipment, good.
By default, depends, but hopefully can be enabled/disabled.

I'm also curious if it's going to have physics or just batman-style float to your destination. What's the range on it? Will it get you all the way there, or just give you a boost in that direction (sorta like thrusters)? Can it be detached/canceled mid travel? Can you swing with it? Can it have a secondary attach point, to tie objects together (like Just Cause)?

I can't wait for them to show it off tomorrow.

Final thought: grappling hook sounds more 007 or Batman than Halo, but it could work well with Halo's physics-based sandbox.
If it is a grapple used in campaign, I really hope it is physics based like Titanfall 2. If you haven't tried that game, they pretty much kept the same physics in Apex on pathfinder.

Edit: I'd prefer it to feel more like Apex because it feels like there is more tension and weight to it when swinging out around the grapple point.
There have been multiple grappling hook leaks leading up to infinite so it's probably a safe assumption. But yeah, it could shoot darts.
MerlinG2 wrote:
There have been multiple grappling hook leaks leading up to infinite so it's probably a safe assumption. But yeah, it could shoot darts.
Seems its a knife of some sort - was in the comics.
a sense of scale in terms of how insignificant you might feel lumbered between towering monuments and mountain etc could be destroyed by such a device. One of the reasons why something like Breath of Wild and Assassin's Creeds feel so different to one another is that one of these gets the climbing aspect right so far as reining in the ability so that it's not at the expense of scale. As a device it sounds cool enough but is it the right thing to do. HaloCE has very a very imposing sense of scale in a way that I just didn't feel from other Halo games and a lot of that has to do with the Chief's pace within these spaces. Being able to just zip here and there is a concern at this point but I guess we shall see if this is a justified inclusion
a sense of scale in terms of how insignificant you might feel lumbered between towering monuments and mountain etc could be destroyed by such a device. One of the reasons why something like Breath of Wild and Assassin's Creeds feel so different to one another is that one of these gets the climbing aspect right so far as reining in the ability so that it's not at the expense of scale. As a device it sounds cool enough but is it the right thing to do. HaloCE has very a very imposing sense of scale in a way that I just didn't feel from other Halo games and a lot of that has to do with the Chief's pace within these spaces. Being able to just zip here and there is a concern at this point but I guess we shall see if this is a justified inclusion
It'll probably have limited range, or else it would be ridiculous. I'm crossing my fingers for limited uses and as a pickup, so that it doesn't become overkill in the campaign.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3