Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Grenade "Cooking" in Infinite

OP NightClerk

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I'd like to hear what the community thinks of adding the mechanic of grenade "cooking*" in Infinite. Halo currently has a very clever way of allowing players to throw grenades a variety of distances (such as using bounces) and making them explode when desired (har har har). Adding "cooking" may be unnecessary but could be interesting and open up a few new gameplay scenarios.

What are your thoughts?

*For those unfamiliar, this explanation of "cooking" is from Wikipedia: An alternative technique is to release the lever before throwing the grenade, which allows the fuze to burn partially and decrease the time to detonation after throwing; this is referred to as cooking. A shorter delay is useful to reduce the ability of the enemy to take cover, throw or kick the grenade away and can also be used to allow a fragmentation grenade to explode into the air over defensive positions.
as someone who relies on grenades a lot, I'm certainly not opposed to this. but I think the conecpt would be more useful as a new type of grenade that can be detonated on command. so I guess just a detonator.
What about a non-human grenade that emit IEM impulse that disable temporary any nearby shield/vehicule (effect similar to a plasma pistole discharge)?
I personally don't think I would enjoy this, but I like the idea of adding it as another grenade type.
Bad idea. Grenade cooking would just add another unneeded mechanic to the gameplay, as well as stoke the fires made by internet trolls contending that Halo is turning into CoD just because it has things like sprinting.
Frag grenades already detonate reasonably fast in Halo games. Besides, Halo's grenade play has always revolved more around accuracy and banking off geometry. Players don't really have to worry about timing/cooking a nade.
Not against this, but I reckon this could work
Actually, I just realized this is what the grenade launcher is plus emp so...
I'm not really worried about what other gaming communities think about Halo Infinite. I've always felt grenade cooking was a fun addition to a game, so I'd welcome it in HI.
Honestly doesn't seem like such an implausible idea, I definitely am not against this.
This isn’t Call of Duty, so I don’t think Infinite needs yet another mechanic copied from CoD. As mentioned above, grenades in Halo already detonate fast and require some quick thinking to get them to work right. Cooking grenades would add yet another unnecessary mechanic. It suits CoD very well but wouldn’t suit Halo.
There was a scene in Halo Forward Unto Dawn movie in a fight between Chief and a Hunter.Chief pressed the grenade and it started glowing,then it took him about 1 minute to climb on the Hunter and plant the grenade inside him,after that the grenade exploded.So i think in Halo canon you can "cook" the grenade.
Bad idea. Grenade cooking would just add another unneeded mechanic to the gameplay, as well as stoke the fires made by internet trolls contending that Halo is turning into CoD just because it has things like sprinting.
I agree, if 343i wants to back to the roots, grenade cooking would be the wrong thing to do, and how would it work with grenades like the plasma grenade and the pulse grenade.
Personally i think it would make the game very annoying. All's it would do is add a new way for people to troll with people just cooking grenades and blowing themselves up into their teammates and the enemy. The way we have it now is just fine.
of corse the Greanead cooking is not competitive
This would be yet another departure from the "soul" of Halo, so it's a definite no from me. Besides, grenades already explode very quickly once thrown.
I'd rather they just stick with H5 nades. Make that bounce work for ya.
I think this is an interesting concept and I would like to entertain the notion of grenade "cooking" here are some of the things I think would be interesting to see:
  • New Plasma and Splinter grenade uses.
  • New animations for the alien grenades (Plasma/Splinter)
  • New physics.
I would also like to mention the possibility of syncronised grenade throws (for clans), and trolling potential (charge up a plasma grenade for example and have a larger explosion radius.)

For this idea to work 343 may have to turn the explosion radius down for splinter grenades and make it bigger when cooked, I think overall this idea would need a lot of trial and error before release.
This would be yet another departure from the "soul" of Halo, so it's a definite no from me. Besides, grenades already explode very quickly once thrown.
A slight tweak to gameplay like that wouldn't make it not halo, it would just slightly change up the gameplay for better or for worse, if people keep saying that the Halo franchise "can't change" 343 are just going to be releasing the exact same game every couple of years, if you can't deal with change go back to playing Halo 1.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2