Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Grunt mechs in infinite

OP prestonS26 gold

So do y'all think there will be grunt mechs in infinite?
Probably not if I’m being honest.
Dont really feel like it’d fit in with the Banished. With the brutes being very primal I can’t imagine they’d want to give grunts any kind of power.

With the Mech being a Warzone exclusive enemy in Halo 5 too. Having it in Infinite’s campaign is unlikely in my opinion.
If there were to be a firefight in Infinite…maybe it could. Although I wouldn’t really want it to. Was just a giant bullet sponge and the bullets would track you across super long distance and destroy you.
Sure you could drop it’s shield and kill the grunt driving it but that’s not easy to pull off solo as most people don’t even know or try that strategy.

Overall, I don’t really want it to return. Was fun at first in Halo 5 but became more of a nuisance after a while.
I'm not sure if the Banished would want to give their Grunts something like that, especially when you consider that the Banished Brutes actually pick up and throw the little guys at the enemy. Unless an independent Grunt faction or something pops up at some point during the Halo Infinite campaign, we probably won't be seeing the Grunt Mech in the game. Which really isn't so bad, since it was designed to be a boss for 8 people.
The banished are very primitive in terms of technology, and they are too proud for a being inferior to them like the grunts to have any special armor, plus I don't think they would use all the technology of the original covenant.
First grunt mech topic ive seen in ages.

I can't see it happening.
I dont think they will be in the campaign, but in others modes could be
Alucardko wrote:
This is probably the way, no need to cut content like that out of the total PvE experience. I enjoyed the mech bosses tbh.
Given how silly they are I'm not sure although I'd love to see them in custom games. Imagine a spartan crammed into the cockpit with their knees going up to their chin. Even better if it has a voice modification function in game chat to alter the pilots voice into the angry grunt mech pilot's from Halo 5. That last bit will almost definitely not happen, but it's just an amusing thought.
Everyone who says the Banished wouldn't use grunt mechs have obviously never played HW2.
I don’t know man
I think it'd be neat, but I'd want the mechs to appear sparingly or at least have less health than they do in H5
Alucardko wrote:
This is probably the way, no need to cut content like that out of the total PvE experience. I enjoyed the mech bosses tbh.
Yeah I really would love a game mode in which those aspects return, either firefight or warzone. I wouldn’t be surprised though to see some big bulky banished mech to appear in the campaign somewhere!
Everyone who says the Banished wouldn't use grunt mechs have obviously never played HW2.
Ya or read books.
The banished aren't afraid of giving to their loyalists of any race.
They also are not primitive.
They allow lower races to modify covie tech in direct violation of the Covenant hierarchical structure.
They have the freedom to customise and upgrade making them more advanced that standard covie forces.
Atriox was the main enemy of the Covenant not humanity.
The UNSC were seen as a vermin to be eradicated but the banished were a treat to high charity.
And even if Yap Yap as a leader is right on the edge of being Canon, we know for a fact that the Grunts have this technology. I can't imagine that 343 would abandon one of their better boss unit designs. Hopefully they are just holding it back as a surprise encounter or two for the campaign.
Mongerty wrote:
And even if Yap Yap as a leader is right on the edge of being Canon, we know for a fact that the Grunts have this technology. I can't imagine that 343 would abandon one of their better boss unit designs. Hopefully they are just holding it back as a surprise encounter or two for the campaign.
I agree on them being one of the better boss units. They never felt fully fleshed out in 5, either being too easy to destroy on normal WZFF, or too tanky to be particularly nuanced in Mythic. I'd love to see them encountered in the normal course of business.

On the topic of boss units, I personally like when they are used similar to how sword elites were used in CE or enforcers in 2.
The banished are very primitive in terms of technology, and they are too proud for a being inferior to them like the grunts to have any special armor, plus I don't think they would use all the technology of the original covenant.
In my opinion the last thing the Banished are is primitive, in fact, they seem socially more advanced than the Covenant. The Covenant seem to have a hierarchical structure similar to ants in their everyday business (yes I know that calling the Prophets ant queens is heresy). While the Banished have a hierarchical structure similar to Rome, absorbing the nations they conquer and using their strengths, and considering that Rome was one of the most successful empires of all time I would consider the Banished to be more advanced than the Covenant. Why make your own tech when you can use the tested tech of other species?