Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

H3 Bubble Shield vs HI Grapple Hook - Reactions

OP xJAGOx

Serious question... no trolling...

Bungie comes out with the H3 bubble shields as a pickup in MM/MP and the community was really excited.

343 comes out with HI grappling hook as a pickup and there's uproar.

It'll be interesting to see if it's turned off Halo Championship series & tournaments.

All that said... thoughts? I remember the community being jacked about the H3 changes from trailers back then.
Has there been confirmation that the grapple hook is a pick up in multiplayer? Comparing the grapple hook to a bubble shield doesn't really make sense anyway. If you compared the grapple hook to jetpack it would be a better comparison.

Speaking of the bubble shield, the Infinite game play showed a shield wall, which I guess is their version of the bubble shield. I prefer the bubble shield over the new one, but I was hoping there'd be equipment in Infinite, so I'm still happy. But not happy about much else so far.
Yeah, I saw the hook confirmed as MP pickup in another thread. Someone from 343 talked about it in an interview IIRC.

Good point on jet pack, but I wasn't a big Reach guy so I don't personally recall the hype around it. I do however remember the H2 community being excited about the bubble shield coming in H3.

I also noticed it was a wall vs enclosure on HI. Good catch.
I think people are concerned because:

1. Some view it as a gimmick.
2. It affects base movement, which has a bigger effect on overall gameplay flow.
3. People haven't seen MP maps yet, so people will likely be worried it may allow players to reach areas they shouldn't be able to and others can't, far easier, which has blatant balance issues.

People will always generally plan for the worst case scenario, hence why we usually see negativity in the forums. A lot of people think it's a new thing...it's really not lol. I remember A LOT of backlash around equipment and playing as the Arbiter split the community at the time.

Always take the forums with a dump truck load of salt lol.
There is big difference between the two. The first one makes you save from incoming fire or explosions. The second one makes you fly around the map as if you're playing cod.
Bubble shield is one use item, hook doesn´t have a limit of uses and changes vertical gameplay, also the bubble shield kind of returned based on what was showed in the demo and i don´t see no one complaining about it.
If it's a pick up I honestly have no issue with it. I get to fight for it and lose it when I die. Theres more whining about a pick up that wont break the game than there is over sprint, that we 100% know breaks halo. This is the wrong conversation to be having.
MKFREYA wrote:
Bubble shield is one use item, hook doesn´t have a limit of uses and changes vertical gameplay, also the bubble shield kind of returned based on what was showed in the demo and i don´t see no one complaining about it.
The shield wall the showed is completely different than the bubble shield. The bubble shield protected you all around, while also keeping the enemy safe from being shot from someone inside. The shield wall only seems to be curved in front of you, while allowing you to shoot at enemies from behind it.

Though who knows if it will function that way in multiplayer. It doesn't seem quite balanced the way it is now.
kjbart wrote:
MKFREYA wrote:
The shield wall the showed is completely different than the bubble shield. The bubble shield protected you all around, while also keeping the enemy safe from being shot from someone inside. The shield wall only seems to be curved in front of you, while allowing you to shoot at enemies from behind it.

Though who knows if it will function that way in multiplayer. It doesn't seem quite balanced the way it is now.
I haven't yet come across a sensible reason to be concerned about the grapple hook, but the shield wall concerns me for those reasons. In general, all throwable shield items suffer from the issue that they make for cheap escapes at worst, and generally just delay the combat without any real tactical depth. The Bubble Shield at least treated all players equally, but allowing the user to shoot through the shield crosses from mildly detrimental to blatantly unfair with no real counter. In the current form, it really has no place anywhere in PvP.
tsassi wrote:
kjbart wrote:
MKFREYA wrote:

I haven't yet come across a sensible reason to be concerned about the grapple hook, but the shield wall concerns me for those reasons. In general, all throwable shield items suffer from the issue that they make for cheap escapes at worst, and generally just delay the combat without any real tactical depth. The Bubble Shield at least treated all players equally, but allowing the user to shoot through the shield crosses from mildly detrimental to blatantly unfair with no real counter. In the current form, it really has no place anywhere in PvP.
Because it's a piece of equipment picked up on the map and not a staple of the gameplay, I don't think there's reason for concern. If it were a staple of gameplay, I can see why people who don't want too much advanced movement in Halo would be concerned.
tsassi wrote:
kjbart wrote:
MKFREYA wrote:

I agree 100%. If they adjust the shield wall in multiplayer so that the person behind it can't shoot through it, then it's a bit more fair.
Good points on shooting through the shield wall.

I think if MP maps are specifically designed around the grappling hook, it could be cool. Think of how Miship in H2 was designed with sticky grenades on corners & energy sword in mind. There's no guarantee it will be a pickup in every map similar to OS & invisibly now. Also, someone referenced having the hook until you die. It could be limited use, ie the H5 energy sword or timed liked OS.