Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Halo 3’s Scarab battles are peak Halo for me.

OP theUSpopulation

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Who needs to board a Scarab on the Ark when you can just fly around behind it after knocking it down and shooting the back piece off?
I like the possibility of having more big battles? Halo 3 was neat and all with the scarab fights but I want something new, If they decide to bring them back than by all means sick I won't argue but maybe we could fight something similar but different.
Who needs to board a Scarab on the Ark when you can just fly around behind it after knocking it down and shooting the back piece off?
Because it's fun!
yes we need more big dynamic battles for sure. For me out of all these type parts in Halo3, I liked the chopper and ghost battle section just prior to the first Scarab battle. That and section on the Ark early on when you encounter Choppers and Ghosts just coming out of the cave. There are quite a few other examples of course in Halo3. Halo has the best sandbox of any shooter and yet we're simply not seeing these great battles any more. I hope 343 pulls some magic this time
SMOK69KMK wrote:
I'd be heavily against it. Cinematically they used to look awesome, gameplay-wise those "boss fights" were boring.
Scarabs weren't challenging, they were simply bigger bullet sponges which simply required an excessive
amout of dodging their legs to survive.
I'd rather have 343i leaving boss fights completely out of the game, they simply don't work well enough in FPS games IMO.
When's the last time you solo'd the two scarab battle on legendary in H3? I did it for the first time in a while last month, and it was harder than I'd remembered.
Easy enough to beat perhaps even on Legendary but usually not on a first attempt or certainly having dies a good number of times. Different each time unless we're talking the first Scarab on the storm I think which if you take the elevator to the right tower guarantees the Scarab comes to you allowing you to jump on it. Even then it's not always a cinch but it is the easiest of them this way. The other Scarabs were far from predictable I found and dropping them without dying never a guarantee. Yeah definitely not easy unless we're not counting how many deaths it takes
I am not a Halo-3-is-perfect-and-every-future-game-should-be-exactly-like-it type of person but, there really has not been anything like these battles since it. Being able to board a dynamic AI-controlled craft is so damn cool. The various ways to take them out and the sandbox provided to us to take them out were all so fun. You can take out the legs, take out the back, or – if you are like me – attempt to board it from the top while it is still walking.
I especially liked how the environment of each encounter allowed the player to board the scarabs. The Storm had those lifts you could ride up and above it (preferably in a mongoose with a rocket marine in the back). The Ark had a ramp-shaped structure with deployable grav-lifts next to a bunch of hijack-able choppers. And, of course, there was nothing stopping you from simply jumping out of your hornet in the iconic “Two Scarabs!” fight. I love it; I feel like swash-buckling pirate whenever I board one of these things.
Unfortunately, attempts to recapture this moment in 343’s games feel to be missing the point. They are linear and scripted rather than being dynamic, AI-driven and something that allows the players to find unique solutions. The Kraken, while having a fun-ish aerial fight beforehand, might as well be a static building. Same goes for the Harvester. (Anyone remember that?) The closest thing 343 has done might be the Lich on the Reclaimer mission in Halo 4, but only thing interesting about that is the fact it moves while you are aboard it. I really like the mammoth, but it is all so scripted. Boarding dynamic, moving Lich while on a moving Mammoth sounds so much more fun.
I know there is not much point in me bringing this up now because if there is something like that, then it is likely being developed now and if there isn’t, then chances are there won’t be. And it is not like 343 will drastically change directions of the game from this one post anyway. But I am writing this just to see if other people agree. I missed the feelings I got when playing in these fights and I hope to see something like it in the future.
Huzzah... a man of quality
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2