Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Halo Infinite - Armor, Weapons, and Emblems Issues

OP GJGUNN986561

I know this may not be a huge issue with everyone, but I speak for those who do have an issue with this. In Halo 5: Guardians, the emblems, armor, weapons, and vehicles could only be obtained via REQ packs. This took fun out of customization since you could not make your own spartan. Bungie understood that players had the right to make their own custom look, it gave the player freedom of expression. 343i however will most likely lock custom customization behind another paywall. Buying REQ packs is like a form of gambling with no way to earn back the money you spent. It is a random assortment of vehicles, skins, armor, weapons, and emblems. If REQ packs return, so will the randomness of achieving an emblem or armor. In Halo 3, armor was earned, such as EOD, Hayabusa, and Recon. Players who wore these outfits were known to put the struggle in through gameplay to achieve these armors. Halo Reach further expanded the armor system, where you could get what you want via credits. Players earned the credits via gameplay and could choose to make their custom spartan look how they wanted via their choice. Halo 4 even had an unlock system, some armor like Mark VI was earned by beating the game on legendary. Halo 5: Guardians however ruined this aspect. To my current knowledge, the only unlock able armors are Nightfall, Marks' V &VI, and Helioskrill, which was later implemented into REQ packs later. This ruined the aspect of customization. Any body who was lucky enough or rich enough could get the same armor as another player. Also the REQ packs randomness for armor could give players their desired armor first pack they open or never. 343i, as a long loved fan of the franchise, I speak as an optimistic but doubtful supporter. Halo 4, your first main Halo game, was different but welcomed. Halo 5: Guardians, however dropped my expectations for the company. It showed everyone that quality and care were not on the agenda, but instead a money making machine for little work. The fact that the spartans in Halo 5: Guardians could only change their entire armor set instead of individual pieces like the three Halo games before it showed the lack of care the company has. I will end on a positive note, I do appreciate the updates in Halo the Master Chief Collection; although not perfect, it still shows that customization is earned. I strongly believe that the REQ packs have raked in enough money for the company in exchange for your little to bare minimum work, so as a final statement I say this. Please do not give Halo Infinite the Halo 5: Guardians treatment. This game will be the last main Halo game for a while. Do not put a sour taste in fan's mouths again. Go back to the roots that made customization fun, what made Halo fun. Please quit hiding behind paywalls that mark your company as another money hungry corporation who doesn't consider fans approval.
Well there are other armors in Halo 5 that can be "unlocked" in game but there are more of trophies for completing monumental tasks, like the Timmy Helmet.

But to be fair, I see your point. I like the direction that they were taking the MCC Season Rewards and I hope they expand on that as the foundation for Infinite's customization.

Thought I don't have a source to cite, I thought I remember reading somewhere that 343 has confirmed that there will be no microtransaction REQ packs in Infinite. Cosmetics would have to be earned through Gameplay in some form or fashion or rewarded for promotional DLC.
I know this may not be a huge issue with everyone, but I speak for those who do have an issue with this. In Halo 5: Guardians, the emblems, armor, weapons, and vehicles could only be obtained via REQ packs. This took fun out of customization since you could not make your own spartan. Bungie understood that players had the right to make their own custom look, it gave the player freedom of expression. 343i however will most likely lock custom customization behind another paywall. Buying REQ packs is like a form of gambling with no way to earn back the money you spent. It is a random assortment of vehicles, skins, armor, weapons, and emblems. If REQ packs return, so will the randomness of achieving an emblem or armor. In Halo 3, armor was earned, such as EOD, Hayabusa, and Recon. Players who wore these outfits were known to put the struggle in through gameplay to achieve these armors. Halo Reach further expanded the armor system, where you could get what you want via credits. Players earned the credits via gameplay and could choose to make their custom spartan look how they wanted via their choice. Halo 4 even had an unlock system, some armor like Mark VI was earned by beating the game on legendary. Halo 5: Guardians however ruined this aspect. To my current knowledge, the only unlock able armors are Nightfall, Marks' V &VI, and Helioskrill, which was later implemented into REQ packs later. This ruined the aspect of customization. Any body who was lucky enough or rich enough could get the same armor as another player. Also the REQ packs randomness for armor could give players their desired armor first pack they open or never. 343i, as a long loved fan of the franchise, I speak as an optimistic but doubtful supporter. Halo 4, your first main Halo game, was different but welcomed. Halo 5: Guardians, however dropped my expectations for the company. It showed everyone that quality and care were not on the agenda, but instead a money making machine for little work. The fact that the spartans in Halo 5: Guardians could only change their entire armor set instead of individual pieces like the three Halo games before it showed the lack of care the company has. I will end on a positive note, I do appreciate the updates in Halo the Master Chief Collection; although not perfect, it still shows that customization is earned. I strongly believe that the REQ packs have raked in enough money for the company in exchange for your little to bare minimum work, so as a final statement I say this. Please do not give Halo Infinite the Halo 5: Guardians treatment. This game will be the last main Halo game for a while. Do not put a sour taste in fan's mouths again. Go back to the roots that made customization fun, what made Halo fun. Please quit hiding behind paywalls that mark your company as another money hungry corporation who doesn't consider fans approval.
I agree with a few of your points for sure. Also, might be worth throwing some paragraphs in there. Was a bit hard to read
Well there are other armors in Halo 5 that can be "unlocked" in game but there are more of trophies for completing monumental tasks, like the Timmy Helmet.

But to be fair, I see your point. I like the direction that they were taking the MCC Season Rewards and I hope they expand on that as the foundation for Infinite's customization.

Thought I don't have a source to cite, I thought I remember reading somewhere that 343 has confirmed that there will be no microtransaction REQ packs in Infinite. Cosmetics would have to be earned through Gameplay in some form or fashion or rewarded for promotional DLC.
I believe 343i said there will be no “random loot boxes” rather than no micro transactions at all.
With multiplayer being Free To Play & the game being on Game Pass they will have to supplement that income somehow.

Without confirmation of REQS being in the game or not it’s kind of hard to judge how the unlock system will work without taking a stab in the dark.
They’ve definitely said that the Armour system will be similar to Reach’s customisation however that doesn’t really tell us HOW we get it and how that would effect emblems etc.

Like y’all mentioned I think it’s possible we might see a rendition of MCC’s season unlocks. Which I’m a bit 50/50 on personally.

From the Monster Promo we know that Nameplates definitely exist. I’m hoping that we get the old school emblem system. I didn’t mind Halo 5’s preset emblems but it did lack a bit of personal touch.
Im not even going to read your post but Im guessing its: “we dont want REQs back because everyone hates them blah blah blah anti consumer something something thanks” - I dont disagree with that sentiment but if you could sum it up to 2 sentences instead of a text wall like most people here that would be peachy.

Halo 5 made a lot of mistakes and 343i arent so stupid as to repeat them because we all know how complainy this fandom gets.
I understand lot of the frustration of REQ packs, and microtransactions. Most are completely egregious, but in regards to REQs, it wasn't as game breaking as In say CoD WWII, or Battlefront 2. You can say "its pay to win", but that may only be partially true in one game mode ONLY-Warzone.

REQs were earned from playing the game, with the option...OPTION, to purchase them with real-world currency. Now is this a stick in the eye to those who purchase a game for $60+ and then have content locked behind random drops. And the randomness of what you acquire from the packs, encourages people to buy more to get the opportunity to maybe, just maybe get that cool helmet, or visor, or armor of their liking.

Now I completely agree that microtransactions are the work of corporate overlords to squeeze every ounce of money out of people. However, the REQ system was hardly pay to win, and just because some of the higher tier, more unique, weapons were only attainable through REQs, you didn't have to use them to win. Players with cool weapons have limited advantages and their limited ammo reduces their overall duration if usage. Again, casual playersay see this as a huge advantage, but veterans of FPS games mostly relied in their understanding of map layout and their own skills to win. Hardly pay to win in my eyes. I can see where it can become over bearing, like in Warzone Turbo, but again, thats only in certain game modes.
REQs have almost zero bearing on the competition side of Halo.
I honestly think tying armor to commendations, if they make a return, is the best way to do it. But 343 should also try to thematically associate certain armor pieces with certain commendations because in Halo 4 they were just kind of thrown in without any thought.

Some examples:
Gungnir Armor for completing Spartan Laser commendations because in the lore they were developed to work together.
CQB should be unlocked via Shotgun commendations for obvious reasons.
Scout for Sniper Rifle commendations because Jun.
Hazop for Fuel Rod Gun commendations because radiation.
Wetwork for Energy Sword commendations because in the lore it was designed with technology from Sangheili armor. (And in-game it looks like Elite armor too)

That way you can choose to either naturally unlock the armor that represents your playstyle, or you can purposely pursue an armor set that you like. Commendations would grant one armor piece per tier: Chest for tier 1, Forearms for tier 2, legs for tier 3, shoulders for tier 4, helmet for tier 5. I'd also like it if commendations had different objectives to their tiers than just getting kills. That's incredibly boring. One example I've got is with the Spartan Laser. Tier 1 should just be a number of kills (say 50 or 100). Tier 2 would be to destroy 25 light vehicles (Warthogs and lighter), Tier 3 would be 25 Aircraft, Tier 5 would be 15 heavy/tank vehicles. Then the final tier requires you to land a double kill on two players that are on foot, referencing the two-for-one achievement in Halo 3.
I understand lot of the frustration of REQ packs, and microtransactions. Most are completely egregious, but in regards to REQs, it wasn't as game breaking as In say CoD WWII, or Battlefront 2. You can say "its pay to win", but that may only be partially true in one game mode ONLY-Warzone.

REQs were earned from playing the game, with the option...OPTION, to purchase them with real-world currency. Now is this a stick in the eye to those who purchase a game for $60+ and then have content locked behind random drops. And the randomness of what you acquire from the packs, encourages people to buy more to get the opportunity to maybe, just maybe get that cool helmet, or visor, or armor of their liking.

Now I completely agree that microtransactions are the work of corporate overlords to squeeze every ounce of money out of people. However, the REQ system was hardly pay to win, and just because some of the higher tier, more unique, weapons were only attainable through REQs, you didn't have to use them to win. Players with cool weapons have limited advantages and their limited ammo reduces their overall duration if usage. Again, casual playersay see this as a huge advantage, but veterans of FPS games mostly relied in their understanding of map layout and their own skills to win. Hardly pay to win in my eyes. I can see where it can become over bearing, like in Warzone Turbo, but again, thats only in certain game modes.
Well my whole argument wasn’t based around pay to win. The weapon aspect is really just filler. I never claimed that it affected competition. It does suck however in Warzone that its not fair start like previous Halo games.

My argument was based on its no longer earned. You can literally beat Halo 5: Guardians on legendary and receive no reward for it. Vanilla Halos: 3,ODST, Reach (sorta), and 4 had some type of reward for beating the game on legendary.

In the Bungie era and Halo 4, you knew who put in the grind to get armor. Halo 5: Guardians only nod to hard work was the Helioskrill armor and like I said it got implemented into REQ packs.

This argument was hopefully to inspire more voices against “gambling” packs. I’m not trying to be an advocate for it, but in some games like Madden you are guaranteed a good player with gold packs. The REQ packs don’t make this same promise. I have opened a handful and only received filler content like weapons or vehicles.

My argument is this. I’m not sure if you have seen the toys offering extra content, which is just armor skins. My argument is this idea failed with Halo 5: Guardians. Hopefully these armor sets are just a variation of normal in game armor. I want to pick up Halo Infinite and from day one, and have the option to earn all the armor with no additional payments; and without having to pay or “earn” REQ packs.
The req packs where terrible and pointless but i will say i never spent money on them
Im not even going to read your post but Im guessing its: “we dont want REQs back because everyone hates them blah blah blah anti consumer something something thanks” - I dont disagree with that sentiment but if you could sum it up to 2 sentences instead of a text wall like most people here that would be peachy.

Halo 5 made a lot of mistakes and 343i arent so stupid as to repeat them because we all know how complainy this fandom gets.
I know we've heard the arguments a hundred times, but remember the OP might not have and felt passionate enough to voice that concern.

He's also a recruit so he's probably new, let's not get testy and turn him away from an already lowering website population.
sniper945 wrote:

I know we've heard the arguments a hundred times, but remember the OP might not have and felt passionate enough to voice that concern.

He's also a recruit so he's probably new, let's not get testy and turn him away from an already lowering website
sniper945 wrote:

He's also a recruit so he's probably new, let's not get testy and turn him away from an already lowering website population.
New or not this discussion has been done to death, that and I have no interest in reading text walls.

Every Halo related idea comes through here first and foremost, every concern and argument for and against certain things has passed through this forum. This discussion is especially annoying because 343 have basically made it abundantly clear that they arent trying to repeat the mistakes of Halo 5 which many people have scrutinised (and for good reason).

I wasnt trying to be rude purposely I just have no patience for text walls and tired old ground we’ve walked a thousand times prior
I’m with you on the random loot boxes, I’m fine with microtransactions but I feel we should be able to buy whatever cosmetic item we want. Ex. If I see a armor piece I want and don’t want to not grind just buy the piece and move on.

However where you lose me is the armor needing to be earned part. I’ve seen this floating around the forums a lot and don’t really get it, if you like the armor why does it matter if someone chose to pay for instead of grinding? Not everyone has the time to grind out all the cosmetics anymore and I like people shouldn’t have to miss out because of it.
You think we've got a shot? To be honest, in 2020, we really don't have at all a say in what happens with micotransactions. The industry just got too vicious with them recently. Remember Halo 5's req introduction video? Where they mocked fake people that had actual legit questions? I still see that as a bad omen from five years ago now about how bad microtransactions were going to get.

Oh, you want your $60 game not to have microtransactions? Please. The adults are talking.

Hell, back then we thought that microtransaction scheme was scummy. Compared to today? It's not nearly as terrible. You play about two wz games and get enough to get a gold pack pretty much everytime, and if you've got everything from silver packs you get some cool stuff everytime. I've never even spent money on the packs, but i'd still rather see no packs and a better system.
At this point I think the industry is moving away from randomized lootboxes and transitioning into the next big thing: BATTLE PASSES. These are generally better, in my opinion, but only if they are permanently available like in the MCC.

I think the best possible outcome here would be if 343 released an ever-growing collection of battle passes, each with their own themes, which you could activate via purchase at any time. Want the pizza/cat/meme weapon skin collection? Come to the store and browse through our large catalog of battle passes to find the one that suits your needs.
At this point I think the industry is moving away from randomized lootboxes and transitioning into the next big thing: BATTLE PASSES. These are generally better, in my opinion, but only if they are permanently available like in the MCC.

I think the best possible outcome here would be if 343 released an ever-growing collection of battle passes, each with their own themes, which you could activate via purchase at any time. Want the pizza/cat/meme weapon skin collection? Come to the store and browse through our large catalog of battle passes to find the one that suits your needs.
Great idea! At the same time I would hope they don't try and lock any actual armor pieces behind battle passes besides possibly variants of other armor set pieces. Kind of like how reach had the robotic arm variants of some chest pieces, or the Haunted/Death's Head helmet variants.

Well my whole argument wasn’t based around pay to win. The weapon aspect is really just filler. I never claimed that it affected competition. It does suck however in Warzone that its not fair start like previous Halo games.

My argument was based on its no longer earned. You can literally beat Halo 5: Guardians on legendary and receive no reward for it. Vanilla Halos: 3,ODST, Reach (sorta), and 4 had some type of reward for beating the game on legendary.

In the Bungie era and Halo 4, you knew who put in the grind to get armor. Halo 5: Guardians only nod to hard work was the Helioskrill armor and like I said it got implemented into REQ packs.

This argument was hopefully to inspire more voices against “gambling” packs. I’m not trying to be an advocate for it, but in some games like Madden you are guaranteed a good player with gold packs. The REQ packs don’t make this same promise. I have opened a handful and only received filler content like weapons or vehicles.

My argument is this. I’m not sure if you have seen the toys offering extra content, which is just armor skins. My argument is this idea failed with Halo 5: Guardians. Hopefully these armor sets are just a variation of normal in game armor. I want to pick up Halo Infinite and from day one, and have the option to earn all the armor with no additional payments; and without having to pay or “earn” REQ packs.
I agree with you. Having armor customization locked behind random purchased unlockables is nigh-the work of the devil...sort of. What I'm trying to say, is that id prefer all armor be attainable from the get go, using accrued points/credits earned from playing the game. Reach was close to this, however, many cooler attachments and permutations were locked until reaching higher levels, whereupon you could use your money to buy/unlock.
Id rather see almost everything available to players, regardless of rank, should you have the necessary funds available. And should there be, and most certainly will be, the option to purchase credits/point with real world money, then allow players, who want that particular armor, to frivolously spend to their hearts' content.
Other, more special, armor permutations could/should be locked behind achievements much like Helioskrill(originally), and Achilles. That would allow players, who have gone the distance and worked hard to get something for their achievements. Beating the game on Legendary, time trail runs in mission, etc. Something thats set them apart for their efforts.

What i was trying to get at originally, and for lack of proper planning, was that REQs weren't as bad as most people thought. It was actually pretty fair in the long run. It did however get lumped into the more egregious MTX schemes used by EA and Activision. Thats what I was trying to point out.
Mnkymn89 wrote:
I’m with you on the random loot boxes, I’m fine with microtransactions but I feel we should be able to buy whatever cosmetic item we want. Ex. If I see a armor piece I want and don’t want to not grind just buy the piece and move on.

However where you lose me is the armor needing to be earned part. I’ve seen this floating around the forums a lot and don’t really get it, if you like the armor why does it matter if someone chose to pay for instead of grinding? Not everyone has the time to grind out all the cosmetics anymore and I like people shouldn’t have to miss out because of it.
I understand where you come from about the earning part. Probably the best way the can go about your approach is Halo: Infinite day one you can see all the armor but it's all locked. So let's say an armor set like Mark VI is locked behind a $10 paywall. The more you rank up or missions you play on legendary, that price goes down.

In vanilla Halo 3, people who wore Recon, EOD, and Hayabusa had to put some sort of grind in. (Hayabusa is probably the easiest but still you had to beat the game once). I earned Helioskrill in Halo 5 and later saw people were lucky enough to get it on REQ. I want REQ gone, it was a bad concept and no one enjoyed it. Probably the best way to go about it is have some armor buyable and some armor earned for doing tasks or have the price go down the more you do the tasks.
Mnkymn89 wrote:
The way I think I’d like to see it have multiple ways of unlocking each armor piece. 1. Grind for credits, 2. Buy individually for a reasonable price, and 3. The achievement/commendation/earned way. Gives everybody a chance to earn the armor in a manner of their own choosing. I’m just spit balling but I think it’s a reasonable middle ground.