Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Halo Infinite as a Cross Gen game is a big mistake

OP LIGAS of EARTH

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox 4, and Xbox 4X makes 5 iterations that would have forced parity to the lowest limits of the Xbox One & Xbox One S.
The next issue is this model would completely wipe out most hype or necessity to upgrade to the next Xbox since it seems like MS isn't going to shuffle it's exclusives exclusively on to next gen. A move like this would assuredly hand Sony the win for next gen faster that the Xbox One always online DRM E3 debacle. If they really think cross gen exclusives are the right move now they might as well shutter the Xbox brand and turn completely into a publisher for their games on PS5, Switch and PC.

Let me illuminate the point here, just imagine if Halo 4 was held back to be a day one Xbox One launch game. The Xbox One could of had the proverbial Killer App, a system seller, maybe it would of been a major boon to the console and had even more polish to draw in players, maybe this gen wouldn't of been a landslide victory for sony, maybe the misstep with the MCC doesn't happen, maybe H5G doesn't ruin the Halo Universe...

Last of all they should find a better name, Bioshock Infinite and CoD Infinite Warfare have tainted the use of Infinite to many gamers (side note: I actually like those games myself, but would want to avoid the stigma that comes with Infinite)
Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox 4, and Xbox 4X makes 5 iterations that would have forced parity to the lowest limits of the Xbox One & Xbox One S.
The next issue is this model would completely wipe out most hype or necessity to upgrade to the next Xbox since it seems like MS isn't going to shuffle it's exclusives exclusively on to next gen. A move like this would assuredly hand Sony the win for next gen faster that the Xbox One always online DRM E3 debacle. If they really think cross gen exclusives are the right move now they might as well shutter the Xbox brand and turn completely into a publisher for their games on PS5, Switch and PC.
I think it's a good idea. Players of Halo Infinite that don't have 4K tv's won't be forced to upgrade. There will be more choice too, I will buy the next console day one, and I'll go for the best machine, I bought an X because I have 4K, each of my children play on an S as they are on 1080p displays. I think it's better to have the choice to upgrade hardware over being forced.
eviltedi wrote:
Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox 4, and Xbox 4X makes 5 iterations that would have forced parity to the lowest limits of the Xbox One & Xbox One S.
The next issue is this model would completely wipe out most hype or necessity to upgrade to the next Xbox since it seems like MS isn't going to shuffle it's exclusives exclusively on to next gen. A move like this would assuredly hand Sony the win for next gen faster that the Xbox One always online DRM E3 debacle. If they really think cross gen exclusives are the right move now they might as well shutter the Xbox brand and turn completely into a publisher for their games on PS5, Switch and PC.
I think it's a good idea. Players of Halo Infinite that don't have 4K tv's won't be forced to upgrade. There will be more choice too, I will buy the next console day one, and I'll go for the best machine, I bought an X because I have 4K, each of my children play on an S as they are on 1080p displays. I think it's better to have the choice to upgrade hardware over being forced.
As an X owner as well I've already seen the beginning of the draw backs when playing with others who are using the older, weaker models. I get delayed getting into online games when other players consoles are slower at loading. Pubg had a issue in which X consoles had grass load in while S & original Xbox One wouldn't get the grass so that X players would out in the open on S & original Xbox One player to pick off with ease. Similarly if you want to play backwards compatible online games the hold outs on 360 seem to be lobbies full of hackers and even though this gen hasn't been cracked you can't avoid them which doesn't bode well if the Xbox One does eventually get hacked and next gen is still handcuffed to this one.
eviltedi wrote:
Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox 4, and Xbox 4X makes 5 iterations that would have forced parity to the lowest limits of the Xbox One & Xbox One S.
The next issue is this model would completely wipe out most hype or necessity to upgrade to the next Xbox since it seems like MS isn't going to shuffle it's exclusives exclusively on to next gen. A move like this would assuredly hand Sony the win for next gen faster that the Xbox One always online DRM E3 debacle. If they really think cross gen exclusives are the right move now they might as well shutter the Xbox brand and turn completely into a publisher for their games on PS5, Switch and PC.
I think it's a good idea. Players of Halo Infinite that don't have 4K tv's won't be forced to upgrade. There will be more choice too, I will buy the next console day one, and I'll go for the best machine, I bought an X because I have 4K, each of my children play on an S as they are on 1080p displays. I think it's better to have the choice to upgrade hardware over being forced.
As an X owner as well I've already seen the beginning of the draw backs when playing with others who are using the older, weaker models. I get delayed getting into online games when other players consoles are slower at loading. Pubg had a issue in which X consoles had grass load in while S & original Xbox One wouldn't get the grass so that X players would out in the open on S & original Xbox One player to pick off with ease. Similarly if you want to play backwards compatible online games the hold outs on 360 seem to be lobbies full of hackers and even though this gen hasn't been cracked you can't avoid them which doesn't bode well if the Xbox One does eventually get hacked and next gen is still handcuffed to this one.
I know there are issues. I had that myself on PUBG, however, I firmly believe PUBG is the worst example, and it's poorly made and maintained. I played Apex and Fortnite, Titanfall 2 and others with no issues to note. Even Blackout is well optomised for multiple console versions. I also believe that the lower tier consoles like Day One etc will become obsolete. They wont be able to play many newer games efficiently, I see Cyberpunk and one or two others being a problem for older consoles. I see it like PC, at some point the upgrade will be a necessity. I also see Microsoft pushing X-Cloud, that could help the older consoles remain relevant and up to the task at hand. The games make the money, the consoles don't. E3 should be intersting.
I kind of agree with your point of the lower end XB1 models holding the game itself back but the sales point is another issue. I don't know if you've noticed these last few years but Microsoft clearly doesn't care about maximizing console sales to get ahead of the competition. If they did, they wouldn't be releasing all their games on PC. While console sales is obviously important if you are running a console business, their priority is the ecosystem. They want people buying games through them, whether that be on PC, Xbox, and in the future, mobile. They don't care about this silly console war stuff, they want to make money. If one game is going to doom their entire next generation of consoles, that console sucks and shouldn't exist lol
The xCloud streaming service is probably the main reason why Microsoft is allowing Halo Infinite to release on Xbox One. I'm sure it's going to be made as statement of how well their cloud gaming technology tiers next to upgraded hardware.

Halo Infinite might also have downgrades for like Blackops 3 did with the Xbox 360, compared to the Xbox One version. We just have to wait and find out.
Only the X should be supported for last gen. I remember when the 360/ps3 was still being supported games suffered when they had to both versions. I don’t want to see that again.
munk07 wrote:
The xCloud streaming service is probably the main reason why Microsoft is allowing Halo Infinite to release on Xbox One. I'm sure it's going to be made as statement of how well their cloud gaming technology tiers next to upgraded hardware.

Halo Infinite might also have downgrades for like Blackops 3 did with the Xbox 360, compared to the Xbox One version. We just have to wait and find out.
Bold - It will for sure!!! Can you imagine if Microsoft released Halo 6 on Xbox one and the new Xbox and the game looked the same... The crap strom that would cause. People would be like "this is what games look like on your new, powerful, next gen system??? No, graphically and such Halo 6 will be much better on the next gen system for sure.
skewer647 wrote:
Only the X should be supported for last gen. I remember when the 360/ps3 was still being supported games suffered when they had to both versions. I don’t want to see that again.
I have to agree with you. There is a huge difference between what the original Xbox One can do and what the X can do. In a recent game, I forget what it was in particular, the original Xbox One was still pushing out between 720p to 900p...? I forget what the figure was, but it was embarrassing. If the old system is holding back ANYTHING, relating to artistic dream, frame rate (which it surely will), higher resolution assets, or anything that 343 wants to do with this new engine and they can't because of the old systems, I say we cut them out. I know this would alienate Xbox users who only have the original One and S.

Sadly, this will not be done. Phil and Xbox have been constantly telling us that they want to keep the community together and even now, hardware generations are phasing out. My one hope is that cloud computing is used to lift the old systems up instead of old hardware pulling the new systems down.

I am not saying that resolution and frame rate are everything (even though they are important - PUBG), but the GPU and CPU upgrades rumored for the new systems would be able to give us a much better Halo experience. They would be able to give us something revolutionary - something we and the Halo franchise deserve.
It has been confirmed already by Frankie that Halo Infinite will not be a next generation release, just Xbox One and Windows 10.
buzzsaw135 wrote:
It has been confirmed already by Frankie that Halo Infinite will not be a next generation release, just Xbox One and Windows 10.
Thanks dude, was beginning to fear that Forge was going to be online only still :o
buzzsaw135 wrote:
It has been confirmed already by Frankie that Halo Infinite will not be a next generation release, just Xbox One and Windows 10.
Frankie never said it would not be next gen (cross gen) only that it would be on current gen. I think its looking extreamly likely that its going to be a destiny 1 style cross gen release.
If its cross gen, which it looks like it could be. Who cares, many games launched on both the 360/One and didn't do anything wrong. Plus Phil or leakers (forgot which one) already said next gen will fully support Xbox One games along with the select 360/OG Xbox games on gamepass.

Launch the game on both Xbox One and Nextgen with crossplay support
Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox 4, and Xbox 4X makes 5 iterations that would have forced parity to the lowest limits of the Xbox One & Xbox One S.
The next issue is this model would completely wipe out most hype or necessity to upgrade to the next Xbox since it seems like MS isn't going to shuffle it's exclusives exclusively on to next gen. A move like this would assuredly hand Sony the win for next gen faster that the Xbox One always online DRM E3 debacle. If they really think cross gen exclusives are the right move now they might as well shutter the Xbox brand and turn completely into a publisher for their games on PS5, Switch and PC.

Let me illuminate the point here, just imagine if Halo 4 was held back to be a day one Xbox One launch game. The Xbox One could of had the proverbial Killer App, a system seller, maybe it would of been a major boon to the console and had even more polish to draw in players, maybe this gen wouldn't of been a landslide victory for sony, maybe the misstep with the MCC doesn't happen, maybe H5G doesn't ruin the Halo Universe...

Last of all they should find a better name, Bioshock Infinite and CoD Infinite Warfare have tainted the use of Infinite to many gamers (side note: I actually like those games myself, but would want to avoid the stigma that comes with Infinite)
Good points OP,i agree with you.This will not be good for the sales of next Xbox consoles.And when you add to that:All Xbox One exclusive games will be free with Game Pass,it doesn't even look good for the game selling better.
This is only a "big mistake" if you actually have any stake in winning the console wars are just keeping thing business as usual..

If my assumptions are correct, then I doubt MS cares about either of those things. My guess is that MS is mostly done with the traditional console cycle and the "next gen" xbox is just going to be another simply more powerful Xbox One, just another step above the X and all consoles in the family will be able to play any xbox one title.

Unlike all previous generations, both the Xbox One and the PS4 are effectively using PC architecture and until there is another paradigm shift in PC technology, that is unlikely to change in the near future. This makes them effectively little PC's with fixed hardware and should make most issues with backwards comparability issues a thing of the past. More or less this just means getting newer games running on older platforms is just scaling the game down rather than seeing a newer game get held back by trying to get it working on both shiny new tech and wonky, older, proprietary tech.

Since Infinite is going to be on PC anyways adjustable settings should already be a built in feature and thus relatively simply to get working on any console within the same family. I reckon most future xbox consoles with be more iterative and come more frequently while keeping everyone within one ecosystem. By the time the xbox one is no longer capable of playing the newest titles at any level, that is when the heavy streaming push is going to come into play.

Streaming and subscription services are likely going to be the real moneymakers rather than specific exclusives themselves. They likely wouldn't care where or how you play an exclusive as long as the money goes to MS via physical disks, MS Digital Storefront, or via gamepass, or some other service. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if you will someday soon be able to play Halo on the Nintendo Switch via some Xbox brand streaming service. Even the 'new' consoles can likely start turning a profit as they won't have to price it so competitively to get people into the Xbox brand in the first place. The newer high end consoles would likely be made for the enthusiast crowd who still want a convenient premium gaming experience who still don't necessarily want to shell out for a gaming PC.

They wouldn't have to be the #1 selling console year on year to be the "winner" they just need to keep growing their install base. Keep the barrier to entry low and charge for a premium or have a recurrent charge over time.

This is all speculation mind you, so maybe I'm completely off base, but I am still quite excited to where things go, especially if it ends up "cross gen"
maxammo365 wrote:
skewer647 wrote:
Only the X should be supported for last gen. I remember when the 360/ps3 was still being supported games suffered when they had to both versions. I don’t want to see that again.
I have to agree with you. There is a huge difference between what the original Xbox One can do and what the X can do. In a recent game, I forget what it was in particular, the original Xbox One was still pushing out between 720p to 900p...? I forget what the figure was, but it was embarrassing. If the old system is holding back ANYTHING, relating to artistic dream, frame rate (which it surely will), higher resolution assets, or anything that 343 wants to do with this new engine and they can't because of the old systems, I say we cut them out. I know this would alienate Xbox users who only have the original One and S.

Sadly, this will not be done. Phil and Xbox have been constantly telling us that they want to keep the community together and even now, hardware generations are phasing out. My one hope is that cloud computing is used to lift the old systems up instead of old hardware pulling the new systems down.

I am not saying that resolution and frame rate are everything (even though they are important - PUBG), but the GPU and CPU upgrades rumored for the new systems would be able to give us a much better Halo experience. They would be able to give us something revolutionary - something we and the Halo franchise deserve.
So tell people to pony up or trade in the old box one to a X or the new Xbox. Why should games suffer and look worse for the people who upgraded? Why must games look worse just to cater for people who refuse to upgrade. Upgrade or don’t game
skewer647 wrote:
maxammo365 wrote:
So tell people to pony up or trade in the old box one to a X or the new Xbox. Why should games suffer and look worse for the people who don’t want to upgrade? When I upgraded for good reason I want better graphics. Don’t hold me back
Because some people can't afford to upgrade immediately. Particularly, underage gamers who don't have jobs, college students who can't afford to drop $500 on a new console, adults with low wages... There are a lot of people who waits years to buy the next generation console because they can't afford it or need it to be discounted, and others who wait to see which console comes out on top after the "cool off" period.

I don't know that I'm disagreeing, per se, but there is something to be said for cross gen titles that isn't just "people who don't want to upgrade." I will probably upgrade to the next gen Xbox immediately because I'm a dirty little brand loyalist to Xbox at this point, but I don't know, I'm also extremely passive compared to most people when it comes to graphics quality.But some cross gen titles between the 360 and the One were -yoinking- gorgeous, like Dragon Age: Inquisition. 😍
skewer647 wrote:
maxammo365 wrote:
So tell people to pony up or trade in the old box one to a X or the new Xbox. Why should games suffer and look worse for the people who don’t want to upgrade? When I upgraded for good reason I want better graphics. Don’t hold me back
Because some people can't afford to upgrade immediately. Particularly, underage gamers who don't have jobs, college students who can't afford to drop $500 on a new console, adults with low wages... There are a lot of people who waits years to buy the next generation console because they can't afford it or need it to be discounted, and others who wait to see which console comes out on top after the "cool off" period.

I don't know that I'm disagreeing, per se, but there is something to be said for cross gen titles that isn't just "people who don't want to upgrade." I will probably upgrade to the next gen Xbox immediately because I'm a dirty little brand loyalist to Xbox at this point, but I don't know, I'm also extremely passive compared to most people when it comes to graphics quality.But some cross gen titles between the 360 and the One were -yoinking- gorgeous, like Dragon Age: Inquisition. 😍
Yeah but on the old days, it was upgrade or you don’t get current games. I’m talking ps1 to ps2 or n64 to ps2 or xbox . That’s the way it should be honestly it makes games better for next gen
skewer647 wrote:
skewer647 wrote:
maxammo365 wrote:
So tell people to pony up or trade in the old box one to a X or the new Xbox. Why should games suffer and look worse for the people who don’t want to upgrade? When I upgraded for good reason I want better graphics. Don’t hold me back
Because some people can't afford to upgrade immediately. Particularly, underage gamers who don't have jobs, college students who can't afford to drop $500 on a new console, adults with low wages... There are a lot of people who waits years to buy the next generation console because they can't afford it or need it to be discounted, and others who wait to see which console comes out on top after the "cool off" period.

I don't know that I'm disagreeing, per se, but there is something to be said for cross gen titles that isn't just "people who don't want to upgrade." I will probably upgrade to the next gen Xbox immediately because I'm a dirty little brand loyalist to Xbox at this point, but I don't know, I'm also extremely passive compared to most people when it comes to graphics quality.But some cross gen titles between the 360 and the One were -yoinking- gorgeous, like Dragon Age: Inquisition. 😍
Yeah but on the old days, it wa a upgrade or you don’t get current games. I’m talking ps1 to ps2 or n64 to ps2 or xbox .
I know it used to be like that. But it doesn't have to stay that way. I just think cross gen on launch or near-launch titles is actually a pretty intelligent way to insure sales for developers who can't rely on everyone having the next gen. Being a launch title for a next gen console is risky business, because you're being tasked to sell that console to consumers. I suppose 343 has that sweet, sweet Microsoft money, but that doesn't make their budget Infinite. They still have to have a positive ROI.
skewer647 wrote:
skewer647 wrote:
maxammo365 wrote:
So tell people to pony up or trade in the old box one to a X or the new Xbox. Why should games suffer and look worse for the people who don’t want to upgrade? When I upgraded for good reason I want better graphics. Don’t hold me back
Because some people can't afford to upgrade immediately. Particularly, underage gamers who don't have jobs, college students who can't afford to drop $500 on a new console, adults with low wages... There are a lot of people who waits years to buy the next generation console because they can't afford it or need it to be discounted, and others who wait to see which console comes out on top after the "cool off" period.

I don't know that I'm disagreeing, per se, but there is something to be said for cross gen titles that isn't just "people who don't want to upgrade." I will probably upgrade to the next gen Xbox immediately because I'm a dirty little brand loyalist to Xbox at this point, but I don't know, I'm also extremely passive compared to most people when it comes to graphics quality.But some cross gen titles between the 360 and the One were -yoinking- gorgeous, like Dragon Age: Inquisition. 😍
Yeah but on the old days, it wa a upgrade or you don’t get current games. I’m talking ps1 to ps2 or n64 to ps2 or xbox .
I know it used to be like that. But it doesn't have to stay that way. I just think cross gen on launch or near-launch titles is actually a pretty intelligent way to insure sales for developers who can't rely on everyone having the next gen. Being a launch title for a next gen console is risky business, because you're being tasked to sell that console to consumers. I suppose 343 has that sweet, sweet Microsoft money, but that doesn't make their budget Infinite. They still have to have a positive ROI.
It makes investing in current gen consoles pointless because it’s not 100% at the games potential because they have to downgrade it for a similar console on the same family. Reward people who upgrade to current hardware. If you have to give it to the last gen people outsource it to another developer dump it on them so the current/next gen version will be at 100% and devolved by the A team
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5