Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Halo Infinite discussion,what direction will it go

OP bryansbane

My buddy and I run a podcast that's had rather good traction as of late. In one of our more recent episodes we talk about Halo Infinite and what we expect from it. If you're in the mood for some more Infinite talk I'd really appreciate anyone giving it at least a 5 minute listen.

https://anchor.fm/sacrediconhalo/episodes/Episode-04-No--We-Need-To-Fight-e94nob

Were on all podcast platforms but you can also listen from that link. Thank you!
bryansbane wrote:
My buddy and I run a podcast that's had rather good traction as of late. In one of our more recent episodes we talk about Halo Infinite and what we expect from it. If you're in the mood for some more Infinite talk I'd really appreciate anyone giving it at least a 5 minute listen.

https://anchor.fm/sacrediconhalo/episodes/Episode-04-No--We-Need-To-Fight-e94nob

Were on all podcast platforms but you can also listen from that link. Thank you!
I really hope the game will be as good as ODST in terms of atmosphere and music. If it hadn't been for the great soundtrack, ODST would have never become so great.
bryansbane wrote:

I really hope the game will be as good as ODST in terms of atmosphere and music. If it hadn't been for the great soundtrack, ODST would have never become so great.
Eh I don't think it was the OST that gives ODST a really great edge in terms of quality. It was very unique prior to the last three games to be sure BUT it told a very great story among human beings who were not Spartans and had a lot of character to them. The openish-world was refreshing yet still told a very linear story.

What do you feel kept it from being "great"?
bryansbane wrote:

Eh I don't think it was the OST that gives ODST a really great edge in terms of quality. It was very unique prior to the last three games to be sure BUT it told a very great story among human beings who were not Spartans and had a lot of character to them. The openish-world was refreshing yet still told a very linear story.

Not to answer for them, but to provide my own answer: ODST felt more like DLC than a stand-alone game, yet it was sold as a stand-alone game. The full $60 price tag felt like a bit much for what you got, but it wasn't an issue for me since I got ODST as a $5 DLC with MCC.
bryansbane wrote:

Not to answer for them, but to provide my own answer: ODST felt more like DLC than a stand-alone game, yet it was sold as a stand-alone game. The full $60 price tag felt like a bit much for what you got, but it wasn't an issue for me since I got ODST as a $5 DLC with MCC.
I can feel that, particularly because it didn't come with a major MP. Maybe $40 would have been more inline? We did get a good size campaign and firefight.
bryansbane wrote:

I can feel that, particularly because it didn't come with a major MP. Maybe $40 would have been more inline? We did get a good size campaign and firefight.
Didn't feel like an DLC to me either. Had a complete new Story and a brand new game mode called firefight.
The Story and the characters were great but the soundtrack made a really big difference. It granted soul to the game. Kinda count's for every Halo except for Halo 5 + Halo Wars 2. That's the way I feel about it. Running around that awesome atmosphere in New Mombasa listening to that sound is amazing and gives me goosebumps.
Playing a game with the right music can affect peoples feelings/emotions to it a lot. I know the sound of every Halo game and fitting moments to it except for Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 'cause they're not memorizable to me which is sad.
bryansbane wrote:

Didn't feel like an DLC to me either. Had a complete new Story and a brand new game mode called firefight.
The Story and the characters were great but the soundtrack made a really big difference. It granted soul to the game. Kinda count's for every Halo except for Halo 5. That's the way I feel about it. Running around that awesome atmosphere in New Mombasa listening to that sound is amazing and gives me goosebumps.
Playing a game with the right music can affect peoples feelings/emotions to it a lot. I know the sound of every Halo game and fitting moments to it except for Halo 5 and Halo Wars 2 'cause they're not memorizable to me which is sad.
DLC may not be the best term to use. What I really meant was that a lack of MP can make it feel like less than a whole game. I absolutely love ODST, don't get me wrong. But a lack of MP means it lacks a fundamental element of what constitutes a complete game. It's a spin-off like Reach, but Reach had Campaign, Firefight, and MP. ODST only had Campaign and Firefight. So the full price seemed a bit steep for that level of content.
Love how this turned into an ODST love fest! I think that game did a lot right. Prior responses are correct to point out that it managed to largely escape its original indended purpose as H3 DLC by adding and changing just enough, and by telling an excellent story. I think Marty's very different score for ODST was a benefit, too, but it really just served to compliment the overall melancholic vibes of that game- I think Infinite will be a better fit for the more orchestral motifs of H3 than for the contemplative jams of ODST. Luckily, between those two options for sound, there is no wrong answer!