Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

[Locked] Halo Infinite graphics are a downgrade

OP Spartan II N7

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Am I the only person that thinks the engine demo they showed us at E3 looked worse than Halo 5. I've been reading people's responses to it and everyone is like "omg it's like going back to halo 2 or 3", "the nostalgia is real" and "takes me back to he good old days". Congratulations, you just dragged the graphics back 10 years by constant moaning for days long past. It looks like a cross between halo 3 and halo wars, which is ironic because I remember so many people bashing it's graphics.

Now I wasn't a fan of the majority of armour in Halo 5 but the ones that did suit looked so much better than the basic crap that chief wore in the original trilogy and what he was wearing in that teaser. Omg, it was so basic! There was barely any detail on that armour. And it was so thin, what kind of protection is that going to offer when the shields are down. Personally I'm a fan of Halo Reach's armour, best armour system in all the games.

The marines and warthog look worse too. Again like a cross between halo 3 and halo wars. What they did with the armour, weapons, vehicles, npcs, covenant, forerunners etc look so much better is halo 4 and 5. And they didn't really change it that much, they built on what bungie did in Halo reach. And before some of you go saying "the forerunner structures are too smooth", seriously?! A highly advanced space faring alien species that held the mantle and you can't believe the surfaces are smooth, sleak and clean?! Ok.

I don't know, to me it looked worse than Halo 5 and I wasn't impressed. It seems like so many are trying to cling to and bring back the "glory days" of Halo 3 that they are dragging the franchise back. I could be wrong and this change could give Halo it's own tone among an increasingly similar market. Anyway, had to voice this concern. What are y'alls thoughts? Agree, disagree? Drop a post explaining why. Thanks
Am I the only person that thinks the engine demo they showed us at E3 looked worse than Halo 5. I've been reading people's responses to it and everyone is like "omg it's like going back to halo 2 or 3", "the nostalgia is real" and "takes me back to he good old days". Congratulations, you just dragged the graphics back 10 years by constant moaning for days long past. It looks like a cross between halo 3 and halo wars, which is ironic because I remember so many people bashing it's graphics.

Now I wasn't a fan of the majority of armour in Halo 5 but the ones that did suit looked so much better than the basic crap that chief wore in the original trilogy and what he was wearing in that teaser. Omg, it was so basic! There was barely any detail on that armour. And it was so thin, what kind of protection is that going to offer when the shields are down. Personally I'm a fan of Halo Reach's armour, best armour system in all the games.

The marines and warthog look worse too. Again like a cross between halo 3 and halo wars. What they did with the armour, weapons, vehicles, npcs, covenant, forerunners etc look so much better is halo 4 and 5. And they didn't really change it that much, they built on what bungie did in Halo reach. And before some of you go saying "the forerunner structures are too smooth", seriously?! A highly advanced space faring alien species that held the mantle and you can't believe the surfaces are smooth, sleak and clean?! Ok.

I don't know, to me it looked worse than Halo 5 and I wasn't impressed. It seems like so many are trying to cling to and bring back the "glory days" of Halo 3 that they are dragging the franchise back. I could be wrong and this change could give Halo it's own tone among an increasingly similar market. Anyway, had to voice this concern. What are y'alls thoughts? Agree, disagree? Drop a post explaining why. Thanks
Halo 4 and 5 made the covenant look barbaric as opposed to alien.They should have just went the way of h2a in terms of graphics
Well if you think about it, it makes perfect sense. The covenant was defeated, disorganized remnants formed there own groups, 4 years went by and in that whole time the support infrastructure wasn't there to get new equipment, weapons, vehicles, etc. The change they made reflected that, I wasn't the biggest fan of it but I understood why
To me, Halo 5’s graphics were a downgrade. The textures looked awful and blurry when even just zoomed in a little. I understand that that was a trade off to allow for constant 60fps, but in Infinite, it looks like they are putting the focus back on textures. You can see in some shots the quality of the textures, especially in the close ups. The only thing that looks a little off to me in the trailer is the movement of some of the animals. They might even use pre-rendered cut scenes like in H2 Anniversary. And that would allow for much better looking cut scenes next to what gameplay graphics would allow.
You’re mixing up graphics and art style. The art style is what you’re seeing when it comes to a halo3/halowars vibe, the graphics(from the engine demo anyway) to me surpass halo 3.
As far as art style goes, this is what I’ve been waiting for, a return to the classic Halo. I’m regaurds to the spartan armor, I would have to say that basic is better and much more realistic. I’d rather have large chunks of armor with a clean aesthetic than a bunch of little pieces with blurry textures. I always thought they looked like power rangers or some kind of marvel superheros in H4/H5. This is Halo and the art style should reflect that. As far as gameplay, I’m all for a mix of old and new.
You’re mixing up graphics and art style. The art style is what you’re seeing when it comes to a halo3/halowars vibe, the graphics(from the engine demo anyway) to me surpass halo 3.
Well, either way be it graphics or art style, it looks worse than Halo 5. I should hope a game engine made ten years later looks better than a game back then. Looks worse than Halo 5 though, very basic detailing
Now I wasn't a fan of the majority of armour in Halo 5 but the ones that did suit looked so much better than the basic crap that chief wore in the original trilogy and what he was wearing in that teaser. Omg, it was so basic! There was barely any detail on that armour.
Not everybody likes unnecessary detail on detail. Some people prefer the simpler, more elegant designs from Bungie's games and think that Halo 4 and 5 are too noisy.

And it was so thin, what kind of protection is that going to offer when the shields are down.
You really can't judge the thickness by eye.

And before some of you go saying "the forerunner structures are too smooth", seriously?! A highly advanced space faring alien species that held the mantle and you can't believe the surfaces are smooth, sleak and clean?! Ok.
You're missing the point. It's not that they can't, but that it wasn't their style until 343i made it so. Forerunner architecture always consisted by flat surfaces, straight lines, and well-defined angles. It had the kind of monolithic simplicity you'd expect from a civilization that is so capable that they don't need to prove anything with extravagantly intricate designs.

Sheeracali wrote:
To me, Halo 5’s graphics were a downgrade. The textures looked awful and blurry when even just zoomed in a little.
This is demonstrably false. Here is a screenshot of ground textures in Halo 5, and here is one for Halo 4. You can also carefully observe the detail in the hand textures in Halo 4, and then compare them to this picture from Halo 5, which shows significantly finer texture detail. Anywhere you go, anything you look at, and actually bother do the comparison, you will find the same thing: Halo 5 has a higher texture resolution all across the board in comparison to prior Halo games.
The thing is an advanced race like the forerunners won't have the simplistic almost aztec/Mayan design that the forerunner buildings had in the original trilogy. Chalk that up to limitations of the time, hence why bungie changed it in reach
Well if you think about it, it makes perfect sense. The covenant was defeated, disorganized remnants formed there own groups, 4 years went by and in that whole time the support infrastructure wasn't there to get new equipment, weapons, vehicles, etc. The change they made reflected that, I wasn't the biggest fan of it but I understood why
Never thought of it that way but I guess you’re right
tsassi wrote:
Sheeracali wrote:
To me, Halo 5’s graphics were a downgrade. The textures looked awful and blurry when even just zoomed in a little.
This is demonstrably false. Here is a screenshot of ground textures in Halo 5, and here is one for Halo 4. You can also carefully observe the detail in the hand textures in Halo 4, and then compare them to this picture from Halo 5, which shows significantly finer texture detail. Anywhere you go, anything you look at, and actually bother do the comparison, you will find the same thing: Halo 5 has a higher texture resolution all across the board in comparison to prior Halo games.
I don’t know why, everything in Halo 5 just looks more cartoony to me. Not by much, though
tsassi wrote:
Sheeracali wrote:
It's hit, miss. I've seen some textures like in Warzone where the textures looked like it came from the 360 era while in some areas of the game it looks really nice. I've noticed this mostly when leaving, entering Warzone maps in the environment, it's not getting any better on the Xbox One X and in many cases the textures that background environment generally looks blurry. I kind of feel like the only place that might be getting more detail is small team based maps, campaign but doubt Warzone was improved since don't recall seeing much difference on my console between the original X1 or Slim or X1X, I've had all 3 at 1 point. Halo Infinite looks alright from the trailer but I've learn to be doubtful due to E3 being misleading in the past but they do look better.
ronnie42 wrote:
tsassi wrote:
Sheeracali wrote:
It's hit, miss. I've seen some textures like in Warzone where the textures looked like it came from the 360 era while in some areas of the game it looks really nice. I've noticed this mostly when leaving, entering Warzone maps in the environment, it's not getting any better on the Xbox One X and in many cases the textures that background environment generally looks blurry. I kind of feel like the only place that might be getting more detail is small team based maps, campaign but doubt Warzone was improved since don't recall seeing much difference on my console between the original X1 or Slim or X1X, I've had all 3 at 1 point. Halo Infinite looks alright from the trailer but I've learn to be doubtful due to E3 being misleading in the past but they do look better.
Due to the dynamic resolution, you're going to see a lot of wonkiness in the textures in Warzone when things get busy. Even on the X. It's designed to do that to keep the frame rate rock solid. Too much chaos & pixels start dropping instead of frames.

Go to a nice quiet spot in the campaign and look around, it's lovely. Then wait for Round 5 of Firefight when there's two Wardens, a bunch of knights, and multiple vehicles, then look at a tank close up; Nintendo 64 blobs.

I hope a lot of this had to do with the ancient BLAM! engine they had to strip down and rebuild so many times over the years. I'm hoping the Slipspace Engine, being brand new & all and built specifically for this kind of 4k@60fps stuff, can give us something a bit more stable.
ronnie42 wrote:
tsassi wrote:
Sheeracali wrote:
Due to the dynamic resolution, you're going to see a lot of wonkiness in the textures in Warzone when things get busy. Even on the X. It's designed to do that to keep the frame rate rock solid. Too much chaos & pixels start dropping instead of frames.

Go to a nice quiet spot in the campaign and look around, it's lovely. Then wait for Round 5 of Firefight when there's two Wardens, a bunch of knights, and multiple vehicles, then look at a tank close up; Nintendo 64 blobs.

I hope a lot of this had to do with the ancient BLAM! engine they had to strip down and rebuild so many times over the years. I'm hoping the Slipspace Engine, being brand new & all and built specifically for this kind of 4k@60fps stuff, can give us something a bit more stable.
Maybe but this is mostly happening when barely anything is going on, I've noticed it mostly when dropping on/off from the ship. I'd understand low res on the 360 but it just seems weird on the X1X.
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
tsassi wrote:
Sheeracali wrote:

Maybe but this is mostly happening when barely anything is going on, I've noticed it mostly when dropping on/off from the ship. I'd understand low res on the 360 but it just seems weird on the X1X.
To be honest, I haven't played much Halo 5 since getting my X, save for some customs with friends. I've been holding off for the MCC update, then I was going to plow through all the campaigns in 4K. But I will go check this out now.

I wonder if it's due to the map & assets loading in during the intro scene originally, then wasn't fixed when they enhanced the game ... like it's a set parameter that needs to be adjusted. I know some things are just smoothed out automatically by the X's horsepower, but other things have to be tweaked manually (like draw distance). Backward compatible games have this problem, they still think they're running on 2005 hardware unless you tell them otherwise. That's why all that blobby texture popping still shows up in the MCC version of Halo 4, they didn't tell it to render earlier. It still thinks it's 360 Halo 4. (From what I understand).
ronnie42 wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
tsassi wrote:
Sheeracali wrote:
To be honest, I haven't played much Halo 5 since getting my X, save for some customs with friends. I've been holding off for the MCC update, then I was going to plow through all the campaigns in 4K. But I will go check this out now.

I wonder if it's due to the map & assets loading in during the intro scene originally, then wasn't fixed when they enhanced the game ... like it's a set parameter that needs to be adjusted. I know some things are just smoothed out automatically by the X's horsepower, but other things have to be tweaked manually (like draw distance). Backward compatible games have this problem, they still think they're running on 2005 hardware unless you tell them otherwise. That's why all that blobby texture popping still shows up in the MCC version of Halo 4, they didn't tell it to render earlier. It still thinks it's 360 Halo 4. (From what I understand).
Not sure but the textures generally stay the same throughout the game in H5, can usually be seen when near the kill boundaries, the weird thing is I've seen better graphics on the 360 with GTA 5 which would only have problems if going over a certain speed while H5's graphic just seems oddly downscaled but it does look like Infinite might get rid of these issues.
When you say "graphics" do you mean the actual textures and what not or do you mean the art direction? Because regardless of what you like for art style the actual graphics looked phenomenal.

If you did mean art style, I really like it. I like the simplicity, his leg plate did look a little thin in that frame though I'll agree with that. It's fine that you like the new art design but you have to understand that modern Halo is not Halo to many. To a lot of people this is a return to the "real" Halo, at least in visuals.
I think you've seriously confused art style with graphics. The textures, lighting, resolution, shadows, and pretty much everything in the trailer are miles ahead of Halo 5. I can understand your preference for the modern artstyle but the fact of the matter is the majority of the Halo fanbase preferred the old one, hence the change.

As for Chiefs armor, I always saw it as clunky and cumbersome in Halo 4/5. The slimness from Halo 2/3 doesn't really matter as far as protection goes. The green plating is made from titanium alloy with a titanium nano-composite undersuit. Under that is a gel layer to guard from impacts (which has proven very effective considering he's fallen from orbit twice). With the energy shields on top of all this it's very unlikely that the extra armor in Halo 4/5 would make a difference in actual combat.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you. Regardless of the "art style" the graphics look amazing, and you just can't seem to see past your dislike of the old artstyle, or preference for the new. Regardless of which you like, the game looks amazing, stunning even. I absolutely hate Halo 5's bright almost cartoony feeling plastic art style, yet some things look really cool, especially the highly detailed textures of weapons and armors. You just seem to dislike the old ( next) art style. Please don't disguise it as anything else, this is just another new vs old art style.
tsassi wrote:
Now I wasn't a fan of the majority of armour in Halo 5 but the ones that did suit looked so much better than the basic crap that chief wore in the original trilogy and what he was wearing in that teaser. Omg, it was so basic! There was barely any detail on that armour.
Not everybody likes unnecessary detail on detail. Some people prefer the simpler, more elegant designs from Bungie's games and think that Halo 4 and 5 are too noisy.

And it was so thin, what kind of protection is that going to offer when the shields are down.
You really can't judge the thickness by eye.

And before some of you go saying "the forerunner structures are too smooth", seriously?! A highly advanced space faring alien species that held the mantle and you can't believe the surfaces are smooth, sleak and clean?! Ok.
You're missing the point. It's not that they can't, but that it wasn't their style until 343i made it so. Forerunner architecture always consisted by flat surfaces, straight lines, and well-defined angles. It had the kind of monolithic simplicity you'd expect from a civilization that is so capable that they don't need to prove anything with extravagantly intricate designs.

Sheeracali wrote:
Then why do maps like Pegasus and Orion look like they were made by a 5 year old in Microsoft Paint?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2