Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Halo Infinite Grapple Hook in Multiplayer

OP flesheaterplays

Just wanted to ask, how are we feeling about the inclusion of a grapple hook in Infinite's multiplayer?

I don't doubt that it'll be a whole lot of fun swinging around like some sort of heavy armored Spider-Man, and I'm sure it'll be balanced to some degree... but are any of you worried about how it'll change the overall gameplay and strategies of the multiplayer? I mean, jetpacks have been in Halo since Reach and I've never encountered too many problems with that, however the grapple hook has been shown quite a lot in both Campaign and Multiplayer videos, which leads me to believe that it'll be a crucial ability in order to perform the best, and just leaves me wondering once people master this ability just how useful this new gadget will be?

Please let me know what you guys are thinking!
I doubt it will be that bad. you can be shot during the grapple animation I think so they can land shots on you before you land
I think the Grapple Hook will be balanced and very useful in certain situations, e.g.:

- use GH to climb to higher elevated area and use Rockets to clear the area
- survival
- parkour/shortcuts

It will be a pickup of course and I also wonder how many times you will be able to use GH before it wears out.
I believe it will add a whole new level of exploration and map design to Campaign and Multiplayer. Just imagine being able to grapple hook your way to a power weapon right from spawn: maps would have to be designed with grapple hooks in mind if loadouts will be a thing where you would be able to select the grapplehook from the beginning.
The grapple hook would also allow for faster rotations and dominant map control for the team that uses it the wisest, as well. In some maps I'd guess it would be abused though, just like nades in Halo CE to get weapons flying across the map towards you, but instead you're the one flying across the map. Maybe we will see game-breaking glitches that would allow you to break out of bounds.

Not everything should be bad though, it seems like a really cool idea that if well-balanced (in MP) could be used well. I do see it being removed from competitive playlists/championships though.
I like it from what ive seen at least idk maybe when i get my hands on the game i will end up hating it. but looks like a neat feature cant wait to see the creativity people come up with.
It seems to me that there will be only 1 on SOME of the 4v4 maps. And it's a map pick-up. Not everyone will start out with one. So if you're picturing a bunch of spartans flying around, that's more of an action sack gametype, i think/hope.
You know there's going to be an unlimited grappling hook snipers gametype and it's gonna be awesome.

For those that don't play it, 343 has done a fantastic job balancing Halo 5 competitively. I have no doubt this game will be a banger and grappling hook will be placed wisely with reasonable cooldown/uses.

Flying towards your enemy isn't always a good idea. I don't think it will be as powerful as many people think. Especially Vs a team, trying to grapple in the open you'll get lit up and across open spaces is where grappling hook is probably most worth using but also most dangerous. You'll probably be able to clearly hear someone use it too so it's not like they can sneakily grapple up to you either.
I'm pretty confident that the grapple hook won't be as frequently used as they show in the trailers. There will probably be only one or two on the map at a time and they will probably have maybe one or two uses each before it expires. Plus the grapple time and travel time seem to be relatively slow compared to other grapple hooks in other games. It's hard to judge an equipment's effectiveness or usefulness based on a trailer because I'm sure they spliced a bunch of clips of equipment being used in rapid succession specifically for the trailer. In actual gameplay I'm sure there won't be equipment and rockets being thrown around at quite the pace that was shown. Although having a game mode where you can spam equipment could be a fun Action Sack game type....
I think the grappling hook will be a cool mechanic to use for montages in the future.
Ken2379 wrote:
You know there's going to be an unlimited grappling hook snipers gametype and it's gonna be awesome.

For those that don't play it, 343 has done a fantastic job balancing Halo 5 competitively. I have no doubt this game will be a banger and grappling hook will be placed wisely with reasonable cooldown/uses.

Flying towards your enemy isn't always a good idea. I don't think it will be as powerful as many people think. Especially Vs a team, trying to grapple in the open you'll get lit up and across open spaces is where grappling hook is probably most worth using but also most dangerous. You'll probably be able to clearly hear someone use it too so it's not like they can sneakily grapple up to you either.
I agree with this, I'm not sure if anyone here has seen what happens when a Skirmisher Jackal tries to super jump onto a platform right in front of you but it doesn't end well for them if you see them coming. It gives you a clear shot at their head due to the fact that they cannot change direction because gravity is in control of movement so tracking is very easy. While you have the advantage of surprise and a faster speed, your path of movement is also very predictable, evening out your speed and surprise advantage. As a piece of equipment I think that the Grapple Shot may be the most balanced thing I have seen so far in conceptual purpose. I'm super excited to see it in action!
like everything people will hate more than love then they will get better at it then it will be more love than hate
my guess for balance is that it will either be a one-use consumable, or have a heavy cooldown timer

I'm ok with it for now -- it looks fun, but right now there's no way to know it exactly affects a match
It'll be balanced. The hook will mostly be used to move yourself and stuff towards you, so it doesn't have much outward offensive power. It won't be something that a noob can get and drop the entire lobby with, but a good player will be able to use his newfound equipment to move to a power spot, grab a power weapon and play the battlefield to his liking.
I think it could alter some peoples experiences. I dont think it will be used nearly as much as the trailers. And would it have like a cool down?
I think the Grapple Hook will be balanced and very useful in certain situations, e.g.:

- survival
- parkour/shortcuts

It will be a pickup of course and I also wonder how many times you will be able to use GH before it wears out.
I hope it works like titanfall. Infinite uses but has a cooldown

- survival
- parkour/shortcuts

In the Multiplayer explanation ive seen it useed twice in a row by the same person in the same match so more than once definitly