Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Halo Infinite: Has 343 truly learned?

OP Kryger 0749

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hello. As all of us are well aware, 343 has an interesting track record, especially with Halo 5. Now, before we continue,
-I want to see Halo Infinite succeed
-I want Halo Infinite to be great
-I want to be hyped about this

However, all that we have gotten so far is a pretty trailer showcasing their new engine, which while it looks pretty,
-Keep in mind, this stuff is developed on really high grade hardware, and will have to be toned down for consoles
-Wouldn't be the first time we have gotten downgrades
-We know it's the next Halo game, but that's it.

Folks, I'm going to say it now. Hold your pre-orders. Before you smash that button and potentially end up regretting it in the event this game flops (which again, I don't want to happen), 343 needs to demonstrate that they have learned from their mistakes. So, has 343 truly learned?

It remains to be seen. Remember, because a woman has a pretty face, doesn't mean she is pretty in the inside. So until we absolutely know more, until the game actually launches, we won't have our answer. I do look forward to seeing what 343 has done with this game though. I do believe that they can win back some good faith, and potentially even take Halo to new heights, but Halo Infinite needs to be not just a good game, but a good Halo.

I do believe 343 can win back some good faith and this trailer is a start, and a small one at that. Let's wait to see if they have truly learned.
They’ve learned many things, but we don’t if they’ve learned everything. They’ve learned the vast majority want the old art style, so they’ve done that for Halo 6. They’ve learned about split screen, more Chief, and black undersuits, as they’ve all basically been confirmed. Most likely they’ve learned about more content at launch as well. With gameplay, it’s not as black and white. Many love halo 5’s MP and many love classic MP and many love both and don’t care what style Halo 6’s gameplay is (like myself). I’m still preordering the game because it’s Halo and I’m certain I’ll enjoy it in one way or another.
Honestly, I'm going to at least give it a chance. I'll preorder it and play the crap out of it either way.
I certainly hope 343's learned their lesson from redesigning Halo (and failing.) I guess we'll get a better idea on how 343's dealing with Infinite after we get some more information.
I certainly hope 343's learned their lesson from redesigning Halo (and failing.) I guess we'll get a better idea on how 343's dealing with Infinite after we get some more information.
yup they turned the halo into a space tiara. The oval was copy righted in 2560.

OP. This is all in engine, so take it all with a grain of salt. We need to wait for a beta announcement before we can understand the actual “feel” and visuals of the game.
Nalla78 wrote:

OP. This is all in engine, so take it all with a grain of salt. We need to wait for a beta announcement before we can understand the actual “feel” and visuals of the game.
Yes indeed, and as stated, it's also rendered with extremely powerful hardware which outclasses the Xbox One. It's not unknown for games to be drummed down so the consoles can handle it. I want to see more of it to really confirm, all we got was the Mark VI armor and a few marines (with a very stunning Halo ring). I want to see the Elites, the vehicles, more. I want to hear the weapons, see more of them, etc.

We'll have to wait for some gameplay. Ultimately, the future remains to be seen.

They’ve learned many things, but we don’t if they’ve learned everything. They’ve learned the vast majority want the old art style, so they’ve done that for Halo 6. They’ve learned about split screen, more Chief, and black undersuits, as they’ve all basically been confirmed. Most likely they’ve learned about more content at launch as well. With gameplay, it’s not as black and white. Many love halo 5’s MP and many love classic MP and many love both and don’t care what style Halo 6’s gameplay is (like myself). I’m still preordering the game because it’s Halo and I’m certain I’ll enjoy it in one way or another.
Saying and doing is two completely different things. EA claims they learned. Look what happened with them. But 343 aren't on the levels of corruption as EA, so I think they might understand now. We'll see.

As for gameplay, frankly Halo 5's sprint mechanics are not needed. It is easily debunked. Regardless, I want 343 to make a halo that they are passionate about, but Halo doesn't need enhanced mobility. Still, having sprint as an option in custom games and armor abilities as sandbox could help strike a more happy medium. 343 doesn't need to follow trends.

As for those pre-ordering, my advice is this: at the very bare minimum, wait until you know more. Don't smash that pre-order button because it has the name Halo. Make 343 earn that money. But what people do is outside of my control.
Nalla78 wrote:

Yes indeed, and as stated, it's also rendered with extremely powerful hardware which outclasses the Xbox One. It's not unknown for games to be drummed down so the consoles can handle it. I want to see more of it to really confirm, all we got was the Mark VI armor and a few marines (with a very stunning Halo ring). I want to see the Elites, the vehicles, more. I want to hear the weapons, see more of them, etc.

We'll have to wait for some gameplay. Ultimately, the future remains to be seen.

Saying and doing is two completely different things. EA claims they learned. Look what happened with them. But 343 aren't on the levels of corruption as EA, so I think they might understand now. We'll see.

As for gameplay, frankly Halo 5's sprint mechanics are not needed. It is easily debunked. Regardless, I want 343 to make a halo that they are passionate about, but Halo doesn't need enhanced mobility. Still, having sprint as an option in custom games and armor abilities as sandbox could help strike a more happy medium. 343 doesn't need to follow trends.

As for those pre-ordering, my advice is this: at the very bare minimum, wait until you know more. Don't smash that pre-order button because it has the name Halo. Make 343 earn that money. But what people do is outside of my control.
People need to understand that the Spartans had those abilities before they were available in the game. All the Books, if you read any of them, the Spartans have certain abilities.
Nalla78 wrote:

People need to understand that the Spartans had those abilities before they were available in the game. All the Books, if you read any of them, the Spartans have certain abilities.
The best case you could make is Sprint, everything else not so much.
I would like to see sprint in the game, I kinda like Thrusters myself, but yes everything else could go. Thrusters could also be used as a Jetpack, which was really fun in Reach. As long as they do it smart, then I'll be all for it. I have loved every Halo game since the beginning. I will say in my Honest opinion, I like Halo 2 and 3's Multiplayer and play style the best. Halo 5, especially the revamped controls, does not feel like Halo to me. I still play it and love it, but it's not the same.
It's too early for this question to be asked but visually yes they have
IMO, they have the art and soundtrack in a good spotlight. With their track record on Forge, I'm not worried at all on that; they will deliver on that.

We have a vague idea on the story, but the lack of gameplay or combat footage has me the most tense on where it's at. I'm certainly interested, but will remain cautious. I would love to see Halo claim the throne once again.
Soooo, "Don't judge a book by its cover." Yup, good advice.

Personally, I think it will turn out good. The question for me is "how good?" I enjoyed Halo 4 and 5 but overall I only consider them to be better than Halo CE. Although, I did enjoy both of their multiplayers quite a bit. Anyways, I have faith it will be even better than Halo 5 but I think it has the potential to be right up there with Halo 3/2/Reach.
Ask 4 Halo fans about classic vs mobility and you'll get 5 opinions but we have to look at what we know:

When we went from H4 to H5, they got rid of armour abilities as they were contentious and not well regarded, but kept sprint. They got rid of loadouts, they got rid of weapon drops as loudly decried features. They do listen and make drastic changes according to feedback - that's indisputable.

What we know going from H5 to Infinite.
We've gone back to the old artstyle, that's huge. I don't have a good memory of how much complaining there was about this, but it seemed it wasn't even the topic they got the most feedback on...
They've confirmed split screen, they've heard about the story - refocussing on chief. They've heard us on things like black undersuits.
Hopefully they've heard us on content at launch, and it seems that way seeing as we're coming up to the usual 3 year cycle and we don't even have a release date, they're looking to release a fully finished product is my guess in 2019/2020. Hopefully they'll include LAN support at launch too. They know people want proper BTB maps though not confirmed. These are all features that the community has reached a consensus on.

However, they have a lot of difficult choices to make in regards to base gameplay features, a lot of these have vocal people on all sides:
Sprint? Divided.
Clamber? Divided but liked more than sprint.
Magnum/Assault Rifle Starts? Divided but generally accepted, and there's much contention in the competitive community.
Ground Pound? Divided.
Spartan Charge? Divided possibly liked less than even Sprint.
Thruster? Reasonably well liked on both sides.

I think personally they'd be wise going for a hybrid, getting rid of everything apart from both Thruster and a soft form of Clamber where you simply slow down if you don't quite make the ledge, but it does pop you up (kind of like Destiny 2), otherwise you fall straight away and can opt to fall by pulling backwards, it's not tied to a button at all, its all in the stick. Also bringing the BR back as the default starting weapon, not for personal reasons, but that it would (like these other changes) be a great compromise between the different sides of that argument.
Halo Infinite needs to be not just a good game, but a good Halo.
That's kinda the reverse how I describe people who ask if halo 5 is good. It' a really good gane, but a weak halo game xD
Well, I think from the trailer they showed us that they have learned something at the very least. I believe the Classic Chief armor and classic music is a show of good faith from them.
Agree, for gameplay I just want it just between classic and modern for to please both sides at least.
The Campaign is focusing solely on Chief from the sounds of it. Which isn't what we asked for. We asked for more Chief, not only Chief. So IMO, they haven't listened there.

Unless Chief's sudden armor change is explained in-game and isn't nanomachines, they didn't listen to the complaining back in 2012 with Chief's redesign.

Gameplay-wise, they probably listened though.
This mind numbingly automatic response to play this series is mind boggling. People...why. Why would you pre-order? All they want is our money. Do you think 343i actually cares what we think? Do you think any company does? No. They just want our money. And by pre-ordering, you are playing right into that. "Oh, it's Halo. I'll love it anyway." No. Crap is crap. Stop being so hypnotized by a name that you buy it no matter what. They may re-release Pong, call it Halo 7, and you'd still buy it. That's helping THEM, not US. Do you really want Halo to keep going downhill?

Vote with your wallets. Hold your pre-orders. Pre-orders are dumb anyway. You can still buy the game even after release. Pre-order doesn't mean you never get to buy it afterword. But companies will not learn until we learn to take money away from them, so knock it off.
This mind numbingly automatic response to play this series is mind boggling. People...why. Why would you pre-order? All they want is our money. Do you think 343i actually cares what we think? Do you think any company does? No. They just want our money. And by pre-ordering, you are playing right into that. "Oh, it's Halo. I'll love it anyway." No. Crap is crap. Stop being so hypnotized by a name that you buy it no matter what. They may re-release Pong, call it Halo 7, and you'd still buy it. That's helping THEM, not US. Do you really want Halo to keep going downhill?

Vote with your wallets. Hold your pre-orders. Pre-orders are dumb anyway. You can still buy the game even after release. Pre-order doesn't mean you never get to buy it afterword. But companies will not learn until we learn to take money away from them, so knock it off.
As a matter of fact, yes, yes they do care and they do listen. Because they ain't gonna get that sweet, sweet dosh that's in your pocket if they don't. Halo 5 showed that 343 do listen and are willing to make changes. Was it perfect? No. Was it orders of magnitude better than Halo 4 in almost every regard? Yep. Mindless pessimism is just as terrible as blind optimism.

Oh and you are mistaken on the Pong thing. Bungie already copied that and it was called GNOP. Yeah, they were cheeky buggers back then.
No, i mean sure it looks more in line with bungies assets aswell as the artstyle but imo the game just looks kinda, childish. the old halos 1 - reach look much more grounded imo, halo 3s crows nest and classic halo 2 outskirts are both great examples, looks gritty, war torn, more "grounded in reality" id say.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2