Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Halo: Infinite IS just another Halo 5 - Here's why

OP PainedBubbles72

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
MKFREYA wrote:
On top of that after their declared in a interview that they want this halo to be a 10 years thing they are most likely to copy Destiny´s economic model: Half game at release, one pay expansion each 8 months, casino MTX, cosmestics way to hard to grind, etc.
So... pretty much everything the fans didn't want. Honestly, how can they get it so wrong? You have to wonder, why? :'(
is a combination of arrogance and greed, one from the developer, and the another one from the publisher, but the first one could not exist.
It looks even more cartoony than Halo 5😂Some graphics look like Megablocks figures🤣🤣
WolfV11 wrote:
Did people watch the damn thing? There is no ADS. None. Zip. Zero. Nada. There was no ADS or "Smart Link" or whatever the hell it was called in Halo 5.

This was clearly a return to the scoped view that started with the Halo CE Magnum, Sniper Rifle, and Rocket Launcher. The animation itself may have more of a flare than older ones--but it clearly is not a modern style ADS approach in function--the aesthetics of how this looks are just wallpaper.

You can see the Left Trigger has been reassigned by default to throw a grenade. That's classic--not what Halo 5 did. I would argue that this fact alone means that the game does not orbit around the ADS/Center Screen/Shoot dynamic that virtually all modern shooters have. It's guns, grenade, melee at its core, based entirely on what we're seeing in terms of button prompts on screen here, with the added dynamic of advanced movement and equipment usage similar to what we saw starting with Halo 3.

But there is no ADS. That looks nothing like what we see in Call of Duty. If it's closer to any other modern shooter right now, Doom and maybeWolfenstein are more in line with what we saw today--those themselves more in line with classic shooter throwbacks that are tweaked with some modern sensibilities....which is sort of the origin of Halo's genetics to begin with.

Does it look like plastic? Yes. Does it have ADS? No.
Here It is used for a very brief moment blink and you miss.
WolfV11 wrote:
Did people watch the damn thing? There is no ADS. None. Zip. Zero. Nada. There was no ADS or "Smart Link" or whatever the hell it was called in Halo 5.

This was clearly a return to the scoped view that started with the Halo CE Magnum, Sniper Rifle, and Rocket Launcher. The animation itself may have more of a flare than older ones--but it clearly is not a modern style ADS approach in function--the aesthetics of how this looks are just wallpaper.

You can see the Left Trigger has been reassigned by default to throw a grenade. That's classic--not what Halo 5 did. I would argue that this fact alone means that the game does not orbit around the ADS/Center Screen/Shoot dynamic that virtually all modern shooters have. It's guns, grenade, melee at its core, based entirely on what we're seeing in terms of button prompts on screen here, with the added dynamic of advanced movement and equipment usage similar to what we saw starting with Halo 3.

But there is no ADS. That looks nothing like what we see in Call of Duty. If it's closer to any other modern shooter right now, Doom and maybeWolfenstein are more in line with what we saw today--those themselves more in line with classic shooter throwbacks that are tweaked with some modern sensibilities....which is sort of the origin of Halo's genetics to begin with.

Does it look like plastic? Yes. Does it have ADS? No.
Here It is used for a very brief moment blink and you miss.
I did not miss that part. Slow the video down using YouTube's controls in the settings and you can clearly see that this is not ADS as we know it on other games, and is barely ADS as we knew it in Halo 5.

To start, as I said, the Left Trigger (assuming these bindings represent the default) is reserved for Grenades. This, fundamentally, has more in common with classic Halo than any modern shooter where the LT/RT dynamic is firmly Aim/Shoot.

It also appears to be the case that this is, as far as I can remember, the only weapon that does this. And when you watch it at a slow speed, it's very clear that Chief is not so much raising the gun to his face as it is that his helmet/HUD is changing visualization. In fact, it doesn't even look like his hands move. Again, slow it down to 0.25 using YouTube's controls and you can see this--it's his visor's visualization that changes.

This is virtually identical as to how the Magnum in CE worked, how the BR in 2 worked, how the DMR worked in Reach, etc. It's got a more modern flair and aesthetic to it than the old simple scope and dimming of the area surrounding the scope, but it's the same function.

Same car, different coat of paint. You do not use the Left Trigger to use this aim function, it does not center the weapon in the screen, it does not appear to be present on any other weapon and just from the feel of the gameplay, it does not have this Center Screen/Aim Down Sights/Fire pattern that's in virtually all modern shooters. There's plenty of modern stuff in this trailer, but ADS is not it. These weapons and how they're bound to control maps appear to be more reminiscent of classic Halo than Halo 5, and certainly any modern Call of Duty title or seven something like Destiny. As I said here and elsewhere, if there's any other shooter it seems to feel more like, I'd suggest modern Doom.

Again--watch this in slow motion if you have to and then go compare it to CoD or Destiny or whatever have you. This is a substantially different mechanic that is more in line with older Halo titles, uses a control scheme more in line with older Halo titles but just has some slightly more modern aesthetic appearances.

It is not, by any means, ADS.

I didn't like this gameplay reveal and I think there are some valid complaints about what we see both in terms of presentation and gameplay, but let's please try to be accurate with what we're talking about.
Seriously guys, it is time to get over it.
I'm pretty sure 343 listened to many discussions online about sprint and they know every aspect of its affecting on Halo. If it is in Halo Infinite is because they had to do it, considering this is a open world. Remember, this is a product and it has to stay competitive.

ADS (smart-link, zoom) is something mandatory. How could you have an open world game in 2020 where combat could be meters away from you and you can't even zoom? It is not 1999 anymore. Again, ADS is there for a reason and they wouldn't remove it because you get offended by the simple ability to zoom your weapon. It has always been in Halo, it needs to stay that way.

Grappling hook is an equipment, just like the ones in Halo 3. It is yet to be seen how it behaves in multiplayer, but in campaign, I want something to traverse the map smootly without having to walk in one gear.

Hit markers I still think is a must option. Of course, if you had the ability to turn it off then I'm fine as long as it is also there for me if I want them.

This game is very toned down from Halo 5, An open world with mechanics dated from 15 years ago is simply not possible. Maybe it is not the gameplay mechanics everyone wanted, but it is the gameplay mechanics that makes sense for this game and it is the most balance between "classic" or "modern".
HERE were my thoughts and feedback.
Honestly, that's fine by me. I enjoyed Halo 5 more than most past Halo games, I've been playing since Combat Evolved. It's nice that 343 didn't stick to the same old, beaten formula and are actually trying to make the game it's own thing. I was worried Infinite was just going to be a big nostalgia trip, and I'm pleasantly surprised that it isn't.
WolfV11 wrote:
WolfV11 wrote:
Did people watch the damn thing? There is no ADS. None. Zip. Zero. Nada. There was no ADS or "Smart Link" or whatever the hell it was called in Halo 5.

This was clearly a return to the scoped view that started with the Halo CE Magnum, Sniper Rifle, and Rocket Launcher. The animation itself may have more of a flare than older ones--but it clearly is not a modern style ADS approach in function--the aesthetics of how this looks are just wallpaper.

You can see the Left Trigger has been reassigned by default to throw a grenade. That's classic--not what Halo 5 did. I would argue that this fact alone means that the game does not orbit around the ADS/Center Screen/Shoot dynamic that virtually all modern shooters have. It's guns, grenade, melee at its core, based entirely on what we're seeing in terms of button prompts on screen here, with the added dynamic of advanced movement and equipment usage similar to what we saw starting with Halo 3.

But there is no ADS. That looks nothing like what we see in Call of Duty. If it's closer to any other modern shooter right now, Doom and maybeWolfenstein are more in line with what we saw today--those themselves more in line with classic shooter throwbacks that are tweaked with some modern sensibilities....which is sort of the origin of Halo's genetics to begin with.

Does it look like plastic? Yes. Does it have ADS? No.
Here It is used for a very brief moment blink and you miss.
I did not miss that part. Slow the video down using YouTube's controls in the settings and you can clearly see that this is not ADS as we know it on other games, and is barely ADS as we knew it in Halo 5.

To start, as I said, the Left Trigger (assuming these bindings represent the default) is reserved for Grenades. This, fundamentally, has more in common with classic Halo than any modern shooter where the LT/RT dynamic is firmly Aim/Shoot.

It also appears to be the case that this is, as far as I can remember, the only weapon that does this. And when you watch it at a slow speed, it's very clear that Chief is not so much raising the gun to his face as it is that his helmet/HUD is changing visualization. In fact, it doesn't even look like his hands move. Again, slow it down to 0.25 using YouTube's controls and you can see this--it's his visor's visualization that changes.

This is virtually identical as to how the Magnum in CE worked, how the BR in 2 worked, how the DMR worked in Reach, etc. It's got a more modern flair and aesthetic to it than the old simple scope and dimming of the area surrounding the scope, but it's the same function.

Same car, different coat of paint. You do not use the Left Trigger to use this aim function, it does not center the weapon in the screen, it does not appear to be present on any other weapon and just from the feel of the gameplay, it does not have this Center Screen/Aim Down Sights/Fire pattern that's in virtually all modern shooters. There's plenty of modern stuff in this trailer, but ADS is not it. These weapons and how they're bound to control maps appear to be more reminiscent of classic Halo than Halo 5, and certainly any modern Call of Duty title or seven something like Destiny. As I said here and elsewhere, if there's any other shooter it seems to feel more like, I'd suggest modern Doom.

Again--watch this in slow motion if you have to and then go compare it to CoD or Destiny or whatever have you. This is a substantially different mechanic that is more in line with older Halo titles, uses a control scheme more in line with older Halo titles but just has some slightly more modern aesthetic appearances.

It is not, by any means, ADS.

I didn't like this gameplay reveal and I think there are some valid complaints about what we see both in terms of presentation and gameplay, but let's please try to be accurate with what we're talking about.
I see. I was reffering mainly to the ability to zoom the weapon as the term "aiming down sights". Don't be too stricktly to the terms. Indeed ADS is not in the game (so far) but you can definitely zoom your weapon, at least with the Tactical Rifle.
It looks like 343i have made the appropriate changes to the art direction for Halo: Infinite after the disasters that were Halo 4 and 5. Although, hopefully they drastically improve the lighting and textures before release. What hasn't changed is the gameplay. Halo: Infinite's gameplay is, at its core, exactly the same as what we got in Halo 5.

SprintMany Halo fans were unhappy with Bungie when they introduced Sprint in Halo: Reach. 343i turned it into a base mechanic for Halo 4 and 5, making it a core part of the gameplay. This was not what fans expect or desire in a Halo game. (There are plenty of videos explaining the flaws of adding Sprint to a Halo game on YouTube - See ChrisRayGun, Favyn, LateNightGaming and more.) When fans desperately pleaded with 343i to remove Sprint after Halo 5, it seems they ignored their fanbase completely. Sprint has returned.

ADSHalo 5 copied-and-pasted the mechanic of ADS from other FPS games. 343i altered the visuals slightly and renamed it Smart-Scope, but at the end of the day, it still very much functions the same as ADS in these other games. The Halo: Infinite demo has shown us that ADS will indeed be returning. Whether it returns for every weapon or just some is yet to be seen. Either way, like Sprint, it's another mechanic from outside of Halo that was added to Halo 5 and appears to be staying in spite of what the fanbase has proven they prefer.

Grappling HookWhether the grappling hook is an Armour Ability (like in Halo: Reach and Halo 4) or Spartan Ability (like in Halo 5) it belongs to a category of 'abilities' that fans have been asking to have removed every since the release of Halo: Reach. Changing a thruster pack or jetpack to a grappling hook doesn't disguise the fact that it's supposed to be 'advanced mobility'. All it does it change these abilities into something that looks less like it belongs in a Halo game. Essentially, these abilities are returning but in an even less desired form.

Hit Markers, Non-Skippable Animations (i.e. when pressing a switch), Bloom, Slide, etc. etc. Halo 4 and 5 introduced a lot that Halo fans were unhappy with. It looks like they're all returning one way or another.

It appears the change in artstyle has fooled us into believing the gameplay was going to be fixed as well. What are your thoughts after viewing the Halo: Infinite demo? Does Infinite appear to be just another Halo 5? Or have we completely misread the situation? I'd love to hear some different opinions. :)
Keep in mind the “fanbase” is split on sprinting. It’s not just all of us want it gone.
xsv wrote:
Agree 100%, what we saw isnt Halo. I bet 343 implemented sprint just for the sake of doing something different from Bungie. They know that it completely changes the gameplay, and they have the nerve to show that first person Halo Wars mess.
Also they said something along the lines of "with Halo Infinite we go back to its roots" they blatantly lied it seems, a classic skin applied over the world isnt classic Halo.
Yes, this is definitely another H5, it looks ok as a video game, but its NOT Halo, never was, never will be. I ve been playing Halo for 18 years and they managed to kill all the hype i had. Im not gonna bother getting a series x...
I swear every time a 343 Halo game is shown they claim they're "going back to Halo's roots". At this point I'm pretty convinced that 343 has no clue what Halo used to be.
it feels like they're falsely appealing to classic halo just by giving us a master chief that looks like master chief and dropping him on a ring. but the abilities look like they're backpedaling to more like halo reach. they weren't thrusting into a slide into a jump into an ADS into a ground pound into a clamber, so I don't think they're trying to push advanced mobility like they were in halo 5. so if you have a couple slots for abilities, that's more like reach. but at this point, for me personally, I'm just not buying a halo with sprint anymore. fool me once, etc. I think stuff like jet pack and grapple and equipment can work in campaign/firefight/btb/invasion/warzone/whatever they're doing, but just the inclusion of sprint means it'll be part of the core gameplay experience and that means it's not for people that miss classic halo.

so in my opinion it's not just another halo 5, but rather it would have made more sense in like 2012. they're not expanding on anything, they're not going back to the roots, they're just idling and seeing how far they can go with name recognition.

edit: Also want to note that it was so cruel in the demo how they waited until after killing a few grunts to start sprinting. having that moment of hope made it feel like they were toying with us.
Seriously guys, it is time to get over it.
I'm pretty sure 343 listened to many discussions online about sprint and they know every aspect of its affecting on Halo. If it is in Halo Infinite is because they had to do it, considering this is a open world. Remember, this is a product and it has to stay competitive.

ADS (smart-link, zoom) is something mandatory. How could you have an open world game in 2020 where combat could be meters away from you and you can't even zoom? It is not 1999 anymore. Again, ADS is there for a reason and they wouldn't remove it because you get offended by the simple ability to zoom your weapon. It has always been in Halo, it needs to stay that way.

Grappling hook is an equipment, just like the ones in Halo 3. It is yet to be seen how it behaves in multiplayer, but in campaign, I want something to traverse the map smootly without having to walk in one gear.

Hit markers I still think is a must option. Of course, if you had the ability to turn it off then I'm fine as long as it is also there for me if I want them.

This game is very toned down from Halo 5, An open world with mechanics dated from 15 years ago is simply not possible. Maybe it is not the gameplay mechanics everyone wanted, but it is the gameplay mechanics that makes sense for this game and it is the most balance between "classic" or "modern".
Sprint isn't needed because there are other ways to traverse the map such as man canons, teleporters, vehicles, or secret shortcuts. Also Halo 3 ODST was open world as well and did fine without sprint. Hit markers aren't really needed as well because when you shoot an elite his shield lights up blue or if you hit a grunt he starts to bleed but I honestly don't care about hit markers because its not really that big of a deal. You also point out that the game needs to stay competitive which implies that Halo can't survive with the classic gameplay yet all the games with the "modern" gameplay have all been failures.
Seriously guys, it is time to get over it.
I'm pretty sure 343 listened to many discussions online about sprint and they know every aspect of its affecting on Halo. If it is in Halo Infinite is because they had to do it, considering this is a open world. Remember, this is a product and it has to stay competitive.
Do you have proof they are listening? Also, did you know there are multiple ways to traverse in the (fictional) world?
ADS (smart-link, zoom) is something mandatory.
ADS is mandatory? I doubt that.

How could you have an open world game in 2020 where combat could be meters away from you and you can't even zoom? It is not 1999 anymore. Again, ADS is there for a reason and they wouldn't remove it because you get offended by the simple ability to zoom your weapon. It has always been in Halo, it needs to stay that way.
Previous Halo games had UNSC or Covenant crates with fully charged/loaded weapons lying around. It was very convenient at times. I also remember a couple times in Halo 2 where you could easily walk up to a Jackal to assassinate it and steal/borrow a beam rifle for awhile. Dead bodies can also be lying around with weapons they might have been using in battle.

Grappling hook is an equipment, just like the ones in Halo 3. It is yet to be seen how it behaves in multiplayer, but in campaign, I want something to traverse the map smootly without having to walk in one gear.
Are you sure the grappling hook is not a base mechanic like all the other awful ones added in "halo" 5? If it is, that would likely diminish some of the angry many people feel about it, but it does blatantly seem to be copying Titanfall 2.
Also, in case you are new to the Halo franchise which is a Microsoft/Xbox exclusive, the thumb sticks allow you to control how far you want to move them. Want to move slowly? Push the thumbstick in only a little bit. Full speed? Push the thumbstick all the way in the direction you want.

Hit markers I still think is a must option. Of course, if you had the ability to turn it off then I'm fine as long as it is also there for me if I want them.
Because it copies every other modern game? Hit markers are dumb in campaign since you can see an enemy's shields flicker, or watch them stumble in pain. In multiplayer is it like hand holding if you throw a grenade and get hit markers, eliminating any guesswork about an enemy's location, as well as letting you know they are hurt instead of the risk/reward of charging in previous Halo games had.

This game is very toned down from Halo 5, An open world with mechanics dated from 15 years ago is simply not possible. Maybe it is not the gameplay mechanics everyone wanted, but it is the gameplay mechanics that makes sense for this game and it is the most balance between "classic" or "modern".
You do not seem to know the difference between fact and opinion. Can you give me some examples of open world games that you would said succeeded or failed because of the claim you made?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
xsv wrote:
Agree 100%, what we saw isnt Halo. I bet 343 implemented sprint just for the sake of doing something different from Bungie. They know that it completely changes the gameplay, and they have the nerve to show that first person Halo Wars mess.
Also they said something along the lines of "with Halo Infinite we go back to its roots" they blatantly lied it seems, a classic skin applied over the world isnt classic Halo.
Yes, this is definitely another H5, it looks ok as a video game, but its NOT Halo, never was, never will be. I ve been playing Halo for 18 years and they managed to kill all the hype i had. Im not gonna bother getting a series x...
Lol. I don't know what you were watching. I've ALSO been playing Halo for around "18 years," and it looked pretty classic to me. Standard Halo 3esque small-group encounters, kinda goofy shenanigons interspersed (Flying suicide grunts? Lol). What the heck are you on about? Do you even know what a "classic" Halo game looks like in 2020? Probably something like this, bro. Ya gotta remember--Reach wasn't all that special compared to the games that preceded it, and that was BUNGIE. This magical idea that 343i has RUINED Halo is a total farce, and people like you are idiots. Halo 5's story sucked. Halo 4's multiplayer was nothin' special. In between those facts, there's been some good stuff goin' on. The expectation that 343i is supposed to capture lighting in a bottle is just stupid. Halo was incredible for a time, and now it exists because there's a ravenous fan base of people like you. It started as some indie title being created by a bunch of dudes in a couple of cramped rooms. Now it's something else. Get over yourself.
you re just going to be ironic to get your point across? pathetic. and i believe i understand what a classic Halo is, better than you. And this cartoony, blocky mess aint it. Sprint, clamber, sliding, armor abilities than focus on enhanced movement, yea thats not classic Halo, and dont get me started on the art direction. Get over youself
god oh wrote:
It was so cruel in the demo how they waited until after killing a few grunts to start sprinting. having that moment of hope made it feel like they were toying with us.
100% agreed on this. I had my hopes up in the first two and a half minutes and the minute I saw sprint my heart just completely dropped, literally watch the reactions of a few you-tubers out there the moment they saw Chief sprinting. I get maybe multiplayer may be slightly different with return to equipment pick ups (which is a great sigh of relief but still some pessimism) and this was a much older build but first impressions are everything!

I'm not really that impressed in the slightest, the gameplay SORT OF looks fun...ish? But it's just a seriously completely technical mess the way they presented it. Maybe they're not showing all their cards and saving the best for later or on release but I've been duped too many times now. Yeah Halo 4 & 5 showed too much but hey, they still "wowed" the crowd. What happened to the demo and in-engine representation of E3 2018 and E3 2019's campaign trailer which was reflected well in the first two minutes of the 2020 8-Minute Demo?

This is the last shot, this game is either the second chance for the franchise to live on this so on so "live-service model" or it's grave becomes permanent and it's memories will be etched forever in the hearts of Halo Fans. Please prove me wrong, I really want to be but how much longer can I hold my hopes up?
Do you even know what a "classic" Halo game looks like in 2020?
Yep.
Same way it looked like in 2001.
This doesn't.
Not that they ever (explicitly) said it would, mind you... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You people are exaggerating most points and assuming all the others. If anything, this looks more reach than anything else. The grappling hook was obviously an equipment, not a trait. Idk why people even care about ads; So what if you can zoom with every weapon instead of just precision weapons, it's probably the lamest excuse. The drop wall doesn't look like the bubble shield or similar anything in the past because it's banished technology. I was unhappy to see sprint, but really, I'm fine with it in campaign, I just don't want it in competitive multiplayer. Honestly, the only things I didn't like was the shield recharge animation, how generic the commando gun was, and the graphics. The graphics though will undoubtedly be refined for release.
Celestis wrote:
Do you even know what a "classic" Halo game looks like in 2020?
Yep.
Same way it looked like in 2001.
This doesn't.
Not that they ever (explicitly) said it would, mind you... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't know why I'm quoting you but I've read "classic" and "2001" so heres something I noticed. When Chief exits the crashed life pod in the second mission of CE we see the ring from our POV right in front of us. When Chief exits the pelican in the Infinite demo it's to our left because the roots are being LEFT behind lmao
I Achi I wrote:
Celestis wrote:
Do you even know what a "classic" Halo game looks like in 2020?
Yep.
Same way it looked like in 2001.
This doesn't.
Not that they ever (explicitly) said it would, mind you... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't know why I'm quoting you but I've read "classic" and "2001" so heres something I noticed. When Chief exits the crashed life pod in the second mission of CE we see the ring from our POV right in front of us. When Chief exits the pelican in the Infinite demo it's to our left because the roots are being LEFT behind lmao
XD... I cant express how hard that made me laugh. Thank you. In such heated and tensious times a little comic releif can go a very long way.
You can bet im going to exit that pelican backwards when i get the game so halo is on the right haha. wait... the irony is that it kind of is on the left and right in both scenarios.
But it is broken on the left side. broken and left behind? lol
You people are exaggerating most points and assuming all the others. If anything, this looks more reach than anything else. The grappling hook was obviously an equipment, not a trait. Idk why people even care about ads; So what if you can zoom with every weapon instead of just precision weapons, it's probably the lamest excuse. The drop wall doesn't look like the bubble shield or similar anything in the past because it's banished technology. I was unhappy to see sprint, but really, I'm fine with it in campaign, I just don't want it in competitive multiplayer. Honestly, the only things I didn't like was the shield recharge animation, how generic the commando gun was, and the graphics. The graphics though will undoubtedly be refined for release.
Ads has a case to be made against it because it makes weapons more accurate... making them function differently, making weapons allowed to have overlapping roles and gameplay that encourages engaging from a distance rather than getting up close and personal. If it was just a matter of having a better view and not enhancing accuracy/percision than i agree with you. Why not.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4