Halo infinite looks lost

OP Modod

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Halo infinites reveal left me feeling interested and with time I grew to hate it but why?
The post reach games have struggled with identity. Being a spiritual reboot clearly attempting to prey on nostalgia infinite misses every mark imaginable.
CE established an exaggerated stylised art for the series that bungie remained faithful to. 343i chose to take a more cluttered modern military scifi style that could be more easily Co pared to call of duty or titan fall but the use of plastic toy like textures made this style more confusing trying to be more kid friendly and realistic at the same time.
Now we seem to have the plastic toy feel in a style that attempts to be classic but isn't. It's gone to a cartoony extreme and uses designs that fit an rts but look silly in fps. It claims to return to old sensibilities but clings to advanced movement becoming a middle space that fails to serve either audience, the old school halo fans and the modern generic future shooter fans. The lighting looks abysmal as did the textures and the surfaces flatness doesn't seem to make much of any Ray tracing they add in post launch. The signs towards varients of weapons is disheartening. Also the issue people have had with the stories and characters 343i used so far is all about poor execution so abandoning things like blue team, spartan ops ect and using exterior fiction to plug in holes is one of the worst things they have done. This game better address every plot point introduced in a halo shooter left in resolved and provide explanation. Most people have no idea what happened in 4 or how we got to 5 from requiem. It seems that even when complaint are heard it doesn't change the real issue, the people in charge didn't understand what made the franchise special and even when they try to appease fans critisms they miss the point of contention and fail to understand what halo is. So here we have a second phase of reinventing the franchise and its trying to appeal to 2 opposing factions of players while ticking off the open world box and service game destiny box. While halo can be wonderful with some open world additions it's not very exciting to see them attempt it before they have shown they can make a standard halo experience.
I hope they get delayed a year and have the time to polish the game so at the very least it's complete and feature rich at launch because the core mechanics are already feeling off. For example they bring back “equipment" as a nod to halo 3 yet all I say was armour abilities and halo 4 design choices. Gone are the halo 3 design philosophies of modular even play. All of halo 3s equipment could be turned against the user. The drop wall is built to serve the user only while the bubble in 3 could save your enemy as much as kill them depending on skill and situation. The same goes for grav lifts, the grapple shot is all about player power and agency but not in the quintessential halo way of sandbox driven situational gameplay. This is very much a get power to be stronger and have an advantage over using the right tool at you disposal to accomplish one's goal.
I'll give it a go with GP but as it stands this marks the 3rd strike the halo franchises fear of being itself has killed interest for me. How about you?
Agreed with your entire statement.

Though in all fairness if they fixed three things I would be content.

Bring back the flood.

Bring back blood and blood splatter on the ground.

Drastically improve the graphics so as the gameplay does not look toy-like and plastic.
Agreed with your entire statement.

Though in all fairness if they fixed three things I would be content.

Bring back the flood.

Bring back blood and blood splatter on the ground.

Drastically improve the graphics so as the gameplay does not look toy-like and plastic.
Flood are gonna show up I'm sure. Blood and graphics are a start but for me the whole gameplay needs to be reworked with a bit more restraint.
It’s bad, sure, but I don’t think it’s as bad as you think it is.
Modod wrote:
Halo infinites reveal left me feeling interested and with time I grew to hate it but why?
The post reach games have struggled with identity. Being a spiritual reboot clearly attempting to prey on nostalgia infinite misses every mark imaginable.
CE established an exaggerated stylised art for the series that bungie remained faithful to. 343i chose to take a more cluttered modern military scifi style that could be more easily Co pared to call of duty or titan fall but the use of plastic toy like textures made this style more confusing trying to be more kid friendly and realistic at the same time.
Now we seem to have the plastic toy feel in a style that attempts to be classic but isn't. It's gone to a cartoony extreme and uses designs that fit an rts but look silly in fps. It claims to return to old sensibilities but clings to advanced movement becoming a middle space that fails to serve either audience, the old school halo fans and the modern generic future shooter fans. The lighting looks abysmal as did the textures and the surfaces flatness doesn't seem to make much of any Ray tracing they add in post launch. The signs towards varients of weapons is disheartening. Also the issue people have had with the stories and characters 343i used so far is all about poor execution so abandoning things like blue team, spartan ops ect and using exterior fiction to plug in holes is one of the worst things they have done. This game better address every plot point introduced in a halo shooter left in resolved and provide explanation. Most people have no idea what happened in 4 or how we got to 5 from requiem. It seems that even when complaint are heard it doesn't change the real issue, the people in charge didn't understand what made the franchise special and even when they try to appease fans critisms they miss the point of contention and fail to understand what halo is. So here we have a second phase of reinventing the franchise and its trying to appeal to 2 opposing factions of players while ticking off the open world box and service game destiny box. While halo can be wonderful with some open world additions it's not very exciting to see them attempt it before they have shown they can make a standard halo experience.
I hope they get delayed a year and have the time to polish the game so at the very least it's complete and feature rich at launch because the core mechanics are already feeling off. For example they bring back “equipment" as a nod to halo 3 yet all I say was armour abilities and halo 4 design choices. Gone are the halo 3 design philosophies of modular even play. All of halo 3s equipment could be turned against the user. The drop wall is built to serve the user only while the bubble in 3 could save your enemy as much as kill them depending on skill and situation. The same goes for grav lifts, the grapple shot is all about player power and agency but not in the quintessential halo way of sandbox driven situational gameplay. This is very much a get power to be stronger and have an advantage over using the right tool at you disposal to accomplish one's goal.
I'll give it a go with GP but as it stands this marks the 3rd strike the halo franchises fear of being itself has killed interest for me. How about you?
You would have thought they would show the exterior, maybe with some classic beam emitters before moving interior/underground into a Forerunner facility, aka classic Halo.

Instead they showed... what we all saw. Still looks like a fan made mod to me. I'll wait for reviews, I have a feeling it's going to be a mess.
Sorry, I had to stop reading at "prey on nostalgia."

You act as if the community didn't throw a tantrum every time 343 tried to be original.
qlimm wrote:

You act as if the community didn't throw a tantrum every time 343 tried to be original.
Where did 343 try to be original?
sprint and slide is not really an advanced movement. H5 was advanced because of how extreme they all were, especially when paired with thrusting, hover, and ground pound. They all lacked weight which resulted in players catapulting across maps. At the end of the day though, sprint has been a part of the halo franchise for almost 8 yrs now. Removing it does not make sense. So they did what they had to do, dumb down H5s movement system, and reintroduce more sandbox elements from H3.

Also to be fair, what a "standard" halo experience is will completely vary person to person. For some, it's about the sandbox (something infinite is leaning into), for others its purely a compelling campaign, or fleshed out co-op experience. Hell, and for many its just shooting aliens in the face and tea bagging your friend. There is no universal with Halo no matter how much people claim there is. To me, that looked like Halo and I can look past the polish issues cause it's petty at best to complain about visuals (not artstyle) in a demo. Many reactions online also seem to criticize the game for that fact which I find hilarious. I listened to a podcast where they were like "that looked like halo but I wanted something different."

At the end of the day, you're never going to get the game that you want. Halo has gone through this rampage cycle with every release (outside of maybe HW2). People will be mad cause its not what they personally want, they will play it, they will move on. As for a delay, eh I'm fine if it happens, I'm fine if it doesn't. The games multiplayer is ftp and it's on gamepass, if PUBG could thrive (and that was a mess technically) then Halo can as well, especially when the entire multiplayer suite is apparently free to play.
F16 HUNTER wrote:
qlimm wrote:

In nearly all aspects of design: weapons, character models, abilities, etc. Everyone wanted the classic back so now that they attempt to do so OP wants to call them out on "prey[ing] on nostalgia"?
qlimm wrote:
F16 HUNTER wrote:
qlimm wrote:

In nearly all aspects of design: weapons, character models, abilities, etc. Everyone wanted the classic back so now that they attempt to do so OP wants to call them out on "prey[ing] on nostalgia"?
Oh, so when they copied CoD, Crysis and TF you mean? Gotcha!

Also I would consider actually READING the counter points of those that wanted a more classic Halo instead of brushing it of once someone uses the word nostalgia. If you did you would realize that it wasn't the point, not at all in fact! It's because of this way of thinking that we got what we did in first place. You guys read a complain, but than come to the wrong conclusion and now we have a middle ground that either party is going to fully enjoy - unless they like the idea of mixing Halo with Far Cry that is. Heck, OP himself explained it really well here, way better than I ever could, but instead you concluded what he was trying to say the moment you read nostalgia...
qlimm wrote:
F16 HUNTER wrote:
qlimm wrote:

Also I would consider actually READING the counter points of those that wanted a more classic Halo instead of brushing it of once someone uses the word nostalgia. If you did you would realize that it wasn't the point, not at all in fact! It's because of this way of thinking that we got what we did in first place. You guys read a complain, but than come to the wrong conclusion and now we have a middle ground that either party is going to fully enjoy - unless they like the idea of mixing Halo with Far Cry that is. Heck, OP himself explained it really well here, way better than I ever could, but instead you concluded what he was trying to say the moment you read nostalgia...
I read it, and it sounds like he came here right after watching Favyn's video. Many of the points here are worded exactly the same.

I'm not saying that the direction 343 took was right or wrong...I am only trying to call the OP out on his phrasing which implies that 343 developed this game with malicious intent.
qlimm wrote:
qlimm wrote:
F16 HUNTER wrote:
qlimm wrote:

I read it, and it sounds like he came here right after watching Favyn's video. Many of the points here are worded exactly the same.

I'm not saying that the direction 343 took was right or wrong...I am only trying to call the OP out on his phrasing which implies that 343 developed this game with malicious intent.
Malicious intent? He never implied anything like that in the slightest mate. What Op spread was deep concerns if something, but that's it. Also there is no need to evoke Favyn's newest video for what was said and repeated by hundreds of users here on waypoint already. The YTuber basically just made a recap of what the community was claiming for at least three years now.
qlimm wrote:

Because 343 obviously don't care. Else they would not rip out classic Halo weapons like the Magnum and Tactical Shotgun....
qlimm wrote:
qlimm wrote:
F16 HUNTER wrote:
qlimm wrote:

Quotting someone else doesnt make the OP wrong or whatever you imply he is. Quotting someone else should be encouraged, if that helps get ones point across
sprint and slide is not really an advanced movement. H5 was advanced because of how extreme they all were, especially when paired with thrusting, hover, and ground pound. They all lacked weight which resulted in players catapulting across maps. At the end of the day though, sprint has been a part of the halo franchise for almost 8 yrs now. Removing it does not make sense. So they did what they had to do, dumb down H5s movement system, and reintroduce more sandbox elements from H3.

Also to be fair, what a "standard" halo experience is will completely vary person to person. For some, it's about the sandbox (something infinite is leaning into), for others its purely a compelling campaign, or fleshed out co-op experience. Hell, and for many its just shooting aliens in the face and tea bagging your friend. There is no universal with Halo no matter how much people claim there is. To me, that looked like Halo and I can look past the polish issues cause it's petty at best to complain about visuals (not artstyle) in a demo. Many reactions online also seem to criticize the game for that fact which I find hilarious. I listened to a podcast where they were like "that looked like halo but I wanted something different."

At the end of the day, you're never going to get the game that you want. Halo has gone through this rampage cycle with every release (outside of maybe HW2). People will be mad cause its not what they personally want, they will play it, they will move on. As for a delay, eh I'm fine if it happens, I'm fine if it doesn't. The games multiplayer is ftp and it's on gamepass, if PUBG could thrive (and that was a mess technically) then Halo can as well, especially when the entire multiplayer suite is apparently free to play.
Please allow me to correct you and add my thoughts.
Sprint ALONE completely changes the playstyle of the game. As for having all of the abilities of Halo 5, the (enhanced) mobility/gameplay just goes from broken to absurd.
* ''At the end of the day though, sprint has been a part of the halo franchise for almost 8 yrs now. Removing it does not make sense.'' Halo, for 9 years (2001-2010) had no sprint, so by your logic, adding it after 9 years does not make sense.
* ''Also to be fair, what a "standard" halo experience is will completely vary person to person.'' No, standard Halo has a definition, the same arena style formula was used from ce to 3, with additions such as equipment that worked flawlessly with the sandbox, what you think varies from person to person looks to me like different peoples favorite aspects of Halo.

* ''At the end of the day, you're never going to get the game that you want.'' Thats accepting defeat, thats how i see it, unless you voice your opinions and let everyone know that what we got so far isnt what we or the franchise deserved, then yea, by all means you re not getting the game you want.
qlimm wrote:

So right.
It looks fun to play. Graphics it looks fine. Im open to an open world design(wanted a open world side halo game for a while). It looks familiar as a Halo game. And I've neve really thought of halo as cutting edge graphics game, but a pretty looking graphics game.

Halo infinite kind hits all of the above for me. Realistic graphics are a bonus imo for halo.
Modod wrote:
I agree especially about what you said about the equipment. Its not implemented in the right way. Like someone else said, Favyn had a video talking about it. The equipment in h3 was neutral and could be used for or against your team or the enemy. Infinite equipment only helps the person picking it up. It seems cheap and not as skillful. Shooting through the bubble wall seems extremely broken for multiplayer.

I'm also really disappointed with this game. I thought infinite was really going back to claasic and now they just are going to release a bizarre mix of classic and abilities. I'd rather keep playing mcc, especially on pc.
knick93 wrote:
Modod wrote:
I agree especially about what you said about the equipment. Its not implemented in the right way. Like someone else said, Favyn had a video talking about it. The equipment in h3 was neutral and could be used for or against your team or the enemy. Infinite equipment only helps the person picking it up. It seems cheap and not as skillful. Shooting through the bubble wall seems extremely broken for multiplayer.

I'm also really disappointed with this game. I thought infinite was really going back to claasic and now they just are going to release a bizarre mix of classic and abilities. I'd rather keep playing mcc, especially on pc.
To be fair when equipment is designed for a soldier it is designed to only help them... Realistically.
The animated/cartoony art style is fine when done right. I also think the game has some visual issues that currently make the art style look a little rough. I recently watched some Half Life Akyx gameplay and it has an animated, somewhat cartoony style as well and it looks incredible. Once they iron out some of the rough spots which the consensus seems to suggest is almost entirely lighting related, I think we'll all be really happy with the games look.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4