Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Halo Infinite-Micro transactions

OP HAL0 227

I’ve heard rumors, and just rumors albeit, that micro transactions might find their way into Halo Infinite. For me this is an instant game killer. As most of us saw in Destiny 2, this put the nail in the coffin.

I seriously hope 343/Microsoft do not engage in this system. You dilute the players experience, rewards are now pointless, they can just be bought, and there is no point system of payoff for work done.

Any other thoughts, opinions, concerns?
It has been confirmed that Infinite will have microtransactions: https://www.pcgamer.com/halo-infinite-will-have-microtransactions-but-no-loot-boxes/

I would prefer for them not to be in Halo at all, but at least we won't have loot boxes tied to real money.
Now that destiny is free to play , it can lootbox/ microtransaction away as much as it likes
.as for halo I think the gears 5 system is probably what we will get , so essentially the free to play model because it's on game pass but I hope I'm wrong
I have no problem with quarterly season passes , and directly purchasable cosmetics. For those that greatly enjoy the game it tends to extend the life of an online game by giving hardcore players ; (read as players who spend large amounts of time with Halo , PUBG , Fortnite , Etc..... to the detriment of other games) ; extra content with a small additional cost. They not only support the developer in between big releases , but ensure that multiplayer maps and updates are free to all owners.

I have an issue with random chance boxes bought with either real money or in game currency. IE loot boxes , req packs , or any other convoluted catch phrase they have come up with.
It kind of blows my mind that people don't just assume a AAA MP game in the last 10 years would have at least some form of MTX. The gaming community expects games to be supported with consistent content for free for years after launch with no MTX. That's just not happening lol As long as it's not predatory like Apex Legends for example I don't think it's a big deal.
this is no news... it's already known for a while... i think in the wake of the star wars loot box controversy 343 stated that they will feature MTs in infinite... kind of tells you where priorities lie... the first thing we knew about the game (aside from the title and the teaser from e3 2018) is that there will be monetization in the game... up until now still nothing about gameplay.

and don't be mistaken. every form of monetization is predatory, bc it is there to be sold and nothing else.
Microtransactions are, unfortunately, a fact of life in AAA games anymore.

The reason we're able to nearly forget that is that some games make them fairly unobtrusive and non-damaging. All we can hope is that Infinite leaves MTX's strictly to skins and cosmetics that can be unlocked by other means as well. I don't think it's realistic to hope for more than that, but I'll be satisfied if they're that benign.
WSerg wrote:
this is no news... it's already known for a while... i think in the wake of the star wars loot box controversy 343 stated that they will feature MTs in infinite... kind of tells you where priorities lie... the first thing we knew about the game (aside from the title and the teaser from e3 2018) is that there will be monetization in the game... up until now still nothing about gameplay.

and don't be mistaken. every form of monetization is predatory, bc it is there to be sold and nothing else.
Couldn’t have said it better. This was also informative for me. But yes, this is a form of monetization greatly known now days. It offers initial advantage to those that will purchase the new content and leaving others left out and behind. Again, like in the case of D2. As for map packs, by all means charge for them. Besides purchasing the game and creating new content like the map packs, there isn’t any new form of revenue generated for the devs.
Fortunately, its been confirmed its not going to be loot boxes or purchasable in-game currency. however, what it is specifically is currently unknown. best case scenario is that they go with DLC style, worst case is they go with literally anything else.
id rather not have micro transactions, id want armor to be unlocked though challenges and commendations
Sypriz wrote:
id rather not have micro transactions, id want armor to be unlocked though challenges and commendations
Like the good ol days
HAL0 227 wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Like the good ol days
yup, really hope theres something like that in Infinite
Sypriz wrote:
HAL0 227 wrote:
Sypriz wrote:
Like the good ol days
yup, really hope theres something like that in Infinite
We can only hope that it doesn't get destroyed by these "Microtransactions".

At least there won't be some trashy battle royale!