Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Halo Infinite Microtransactions (If they do it)

OP Hollow Mancer

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
The Concept
Its not about the designs, it's about hoping they do MTs right in Halo Infinite, if at all. Video games haven't adjusted for inflation. When I say that everyone is like "Oh franchises are still sustainable without them" and "More people buy the games so they make millions." Well yeah, but they still haven't adjusted, so are not getting the sweetest deal ever? Especially considering games take way more to make now. The quality has risen immensely yet the sticker price is still the same. So they're going to lean towards using microtransactions are going to help make back that money they could be making, or at least go back into improving the game. Obviously that's going to be high on the list of features for the companies to add into their game. Pretty controversial I know. I made this in the hopes that if they do implement MTs, then this is how i believe they should be done. Weapon and Vehicle Skins only. I've been able to freely customize my Armor AND Emblem up until Halo 5 so I think I should be able to again. I'm still sore about the Armor Onsies in Halo 5. Also that instead of "let them make their own Emblems again" it was " let's put them in loot boxes. I'm hopeful.
I’d still prefer skins, armors, and emblems to be unlocked through different achievements or milestones. Microtransactions for REQ packs and such I couldn’t care less about.
Finally a game with infinite microtransactions! That’ll show EA and UBI and AV. They’ll really need to step up after this. Wooooh!

Seriously though, keep $$ away from gameplay.
I'd rather they were gone, one of the things I hated most about Halo 5 is probably the micro-transactions...sure it had to P2W elements but all it did was clutter up the UI, force 3/4 of the game to be online only so if 343i included them in Infinite then I'd be pretty annoyed, would find it very irritating to pay for a full priced game to have 'cut content' that was in every base to be sold separately and would only lead to distrust with 343i, I'd rather 343i be honourable since adding these 'cut-backs' would hurt their rep, be seen as shady. It's concerning these days when even Sega tried this recently by trying to sell 'Super Sonic'...something that has existed in nearly every Sonic game, I would hate for 343i to continue this trend with future Halo games.
Nalla78 wrote:
Finally a game with infinite microtransactions! That’ll show EA and UBI and AV. They’ll really need to step up after this. Wooooh!

Haha speak up! I'm not the biggest fan of them as I don't like to keep dropping the dollar bills. This is more of a "in case you guys do MTs, don't mess it up" kind of concept. I'd hope they'd keep it to limited cosmetics like Titanfall 2.
ronnie42 wrote:
I'd rather they were gone, one of the things I hated most about Halo 5 is probably the micro-transactions...sure it had to P2W elements but all it did was clutter up the UI, force 3/4 of the game to be online only so if 343i included them in Infinite then I'd be pretty annoyed, would find it very irritating to pay for a full priced game to have 'cut content' that was in every base to be sold separately and would only lead to distrust with 343i, I'd rather 343i be honourable since adding these 'cut-backs' would hurt their rep, be seen as shady. It's concerning these days when even Sega tried this recently by trying to sell 'Super Sonic'...something that has existed in nearly every Sonic game, I would hate for 343i to continue this trend with future Halo games.
god I remember that it was a dark day for sonic fans I rather them be gone too but if they do it should be like titanfall 2 where only certain cosmetics can be bought with real money everything else is through unlocking
The ConceptIts not about the designs, it's about hoping they do MTs right in Halo Infinite, if at all. Video games haven't adjusted for inflation so Microtransactions are going to help make back that lost money. Obviously that's going to be high on the list of features for the companies to add into their game. I made this in the Hope's that if they do implement MTs, then this is how i believe they should be done. Weapon and Vehicle Skins only. I've been able to freely customize my Armor AND Emblem up until Halo 5 so I think I should be able to again. I'm still sore about the Armor Onsies in Halo 5. Also that instead of "let them make their own Emblems again" it was " let's put them in loot boxes. I'm hopeful.
For me a lot of Microtransaction ruined the game
But the Skin is ok
This is one I'll be watching very closely, the rng loot reqs turned Halo 5 into a tedious grind for me, and as the saying goes it was the last straw. I think Halo Infinite will have micro transactions, if I had it my way there would not be any at all. I'm looking forward to games like The Outer Worlds that will not have them in any way. I would like 343i to follow suit, but I'm sure Halo Infinite will have them, if it's like Halo 5, where they hard wire them to the progression system I'm out. This might be the one thing we don't get info on until near release. However, it's the one thing that keeps my cash in my wallet until 343i spill the beans on the details, the longer they keep it under wraps the more suspicious we should be imo.
If games can't be sustainable without MTs Sony must be in real trouble after spiderman, horizon zero dawn, bloodborne and god of war. thats just an excuse to implement MTs.
and what game was really complete without cut content which was sold later on or put away in a special edition/pre-order bonus? to play the full game you kind of already have to pay more than usual (or buy the game before reviews are out), bc so many things are locked behind special editions.

titanfall 2s system is kind of a gray area. only a few items locked behind MTs, no purchasable in game currency and the MTs are not always in your face. also you can't get the skins without paying, which would make them more or less regular DLC and you already have a very huge amount of customization options. titanfall 2s system isn't designed to make you keep spending money, like many other games do (yes, halo 5 too)

i don't like MTs at all, not even the way they are handled in titanfall 2, but it is at least tolerable there (but thats maybe bc in the end i don't care about stuff that is locked behind a paywall, if it's only cosmetic. if it's not only cosmetic i stay away from the game)
ronnie42 wrote:
god I remember that it was a dark day for sonic fans I rather them be gone too but if they do it should be like titanfall 2 where only certain cosmetics can be bought with real money everything else is through unlocking
Yeh I hope there gone too but I'd wish people stop defending the cosmetics versions too since I'm sick of opening up loot box's every game to unlock anything instead of earning them. Sure some people think it's ok but for me it's part of the reason I lost interest in playing Gear 4, I'm mostly tolerating them in Halo 5 so if they include them in Infinite then I'll be pretty annoyed at 343. As for Sonic...yeh that annoyed me a lot since made Super Sonic was dropped, later I found it felt more like it was just a reskin with no game-play changes while the game was made too easy...even on hard mode. I also tried Titanfall 2, I had little interest in replaying because I'd rather earn by unlocks instead of having unlocks becoming an endless grind, I hate Gears 4 system due to it's cosmetics being a 'pay for the chance' to unlock cosmetic's, which meant unlocking characters like Raam became more irritating instead of actually earning it in some meaningful way like completing Gears 2 on Hardcore.
Nalla78 wrote:

I'm not a fan of microtransactions but at least some of the money went to HCS to the point that they were able to increase the prize pool by 150%.
The Concept
Its not about the designs, it's about hoping they do MTs right in Halo Infinite, if at all. Video games haven't adjusted for inflation so Microtransactions are going to help make back that lost money. Obviously that's going to be high on the list of features for the companies to add into their game. I made this in the Hope's that if they do implement MTs, then this is how i believe they should be done. /// I'm hopeful.
Nalla78 wrote:

I'm not a fan of microtransactions but at least some of the money went to HCS to the point that they were able to increase the prize pool by 150%.
If I remember rightly, 343i said they'd made $2.5M in the first nine months of REQ Sales, that's equal to $3.3M per year.

Halo 5 allegedly cost $250M to make, so at $3.3M/Year, it would take 75 years of sustained REQ Sales at the same rate just to break even on the cost of making the game if it were funded by REQs alone. As it is, $2.5M REQ Sales only represent about 1.5% of 343i's income from 10M Halo 5 sales, plus they also have income from MCC, Halo Wars 2 etc., as well as Lore (books, comics, videos), and Halo merchandise.

Seriously, as Arch Sorceress said, it really does look like the REQ money mainly went into funding the HWC and into Halo Championship Player's pockets, not 343i's nor Microsoft's.

So far, 343i and Microsoft have been pretty good with Halo, and they're a million miles away from doing anything like Star Wars: Battlefront 2 Loot Crate shenanigans. So let's wait and see if this continues with what they do with Halo Infinite...

That's why I back OP's post of "IF they do MT's" (over and above HWC Funding REQs), and saying there's ways of doing it that are more acceptable, but for all we know there might be none at all. After all, 343i and Microsoft might be counting on extra game sales above Halo 5's levels simply because Infinite is being launched on Gaming PC's as well as XBox One, as well as picking up Game Pass income, and maybe later even X-Cloud income from non-gaming Laptops and Desktops, as well as possibly Nintendo Switch, iOS and Android players! As in "With 50 million paying Halo players, who needs Microtransactions?!" :-D

Edit, add Update:

OOPS! I forgot to add that as a 50+ gamer, "When I was a kid", Home Consoles and "Full-Price Games" hadn't even been invented yet. Back then in the late 1970's, all video games were funded by Microtransactions because they began as Arcade Games - it really was "pay (whatever coin) per game" just like Fireteam Raven is now. "Oh for the good old days back"?! LOL! :-D
My idea:

Skins for weapons and armor can come in bundles or standalone for purchase. Key thing in this is you know what you are buying (Think Titanfall 2).

However, for the armor skins to be applied, you must first unlock the base armor set through merit. That could be things like in-game credits or achievements.

This would keep the prestige of owning a sought after armor set, and if you feel like paying for more, you can add a bit of extra customization to it.
My idea:Skins for weapons and armor can come in bundles or standalone for purchase. Key thing in this is you know what you are buying (Think Titanfall 2).

However, for the armor skins to be applied, you must first unlock the base armor set through merit. That could be things like in-game credits or achievements.

This would keep the prestige of owning a sought after armor set, and if you feel like paying for more, you can add a bit of extra customization to it.
Absolutely not. I want everything available through game play. If they want to sell them to those that don't want to achieve them, that's fine. However I don't want content locked behind a pay wall, that will just encourage 343i to put the best gear or extras as you put it behind micro transactions. There should be nothing that cannot be earned through gameplay.
there can add Microtransactions for me in the game so long the dlc maps are free to download and i hope this time that there are good dlc maps and not like from halo 5 dlc maps that are worst looking dlc maps that have been make with forge by some others that was worst.
Yeah they'll definitely be back, it's at least been confirmed there will be no purchasable loot boxes and the customization is Reach inspired. I'm fine with cosmetic mtx as long as they're also available in game at a generally reasonable unlock rate.
I think Reach inspired customization will result in perhaps 20 base armors with some attachments and patterns to add for personalization. That alone would do three things that might be beneficial in my opinion.
1: it'll tone down the rediculous armor sets, likely resulting in more Bungie Era designs.
2: less cluttered UI where you can actually see the difference between sets.
3: less things to customize = less stuff to buy = less reasons to do micro transactions.

That leaves the weapons. I like Warzone so I'm down for something like we have now. But: there are so many options now and half of them don't even make sense. I'm okay with some sort of a luck-based system to unlock onetime - use weapons and buffs but I'd rather have things unlocked by progress in the game. Use the BR much? Unlock new skins or scopes etc.

Long story short: minimize the amount of microstransactions in Infinite. If they are there, sure: make them more straight forward and clear what's inside.
eviltedi wrote:
My idea:Skins for weapons and armor can come in bundles or standalone for purchase. Key thing in this is you know what you are buying (Think Titanfall 2).

Absolutely not. I want everything available through game play. If they want to sell them to those that don't want to achieve them, that's fine. However I don't want content locked behind a pay wall, that will just encourage 343i to put the best gear or extras as you put it behind micro transactions. There should be nothing that cannot be earned through gameplay.
Obviously not having mtx’s is the best option. I’m not sure how you expect to not have them though. I’m just trying to think of a way that’ll be the most non-predatory.

Also to clarify, I’m not talking about armor skins in the way that Reach had it’s varients. I just mean the patterns on the armor like H5
DonVinzone wrote:
I think Reach inspired customization will result in perhaps 20 base armors with some attachments and patterns to add for personalization. That alone would do three things that might be beneficial in my opinion.
1: it'll tone down the rediculous armor sets, likely resulting in more Bungie Era designs.
2: less cluttered UI where you can actually see the difference between sets.
3: less things to customize = less stuff to buy = less reasons to do micro transactions.

That leaves the weapons. I like Warzone so I'm down for something like we have now. But: there are so many options now and half of them don't even make sense. I'm okay with some sort of a luck-based system to unlock onetime - use weapons and buffs but I'd rather have things unlocked by progress in the game. Use the BR much? Unlock new skins or scopes etc.

Long story short: minimize the amount of microstransactions in Infinite. If they are there, sure: make them more straight forward and clear what's inside.
Precisely. No lootboxes. Straightforward. Don't focus on sheer number of unlock items to maximize monetization(why they took Emblems away from us and made the Spartan Armor onsies) which ruined "Customization" for me. Also I love Halo Reach's Customization too.
eviltedi wrote:

Obviously not having mtx’s is the best option. I’m not sure how you expect to not have them though. I’m just trying to think of a way that’ll be the most non-predatory.

Also to clarify, I’m not talking about armor skins in the way that Reach had it’s varients. I just mean the patterns on the armor like H5
Absolutely no to having content gated behind a pay wall, I clearly stated if they want to sell content it's fine, I just want it to be obtainable through gameplay too. Like Anthem, it's the one thing they got right imo. You can play for it or pay for it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4