Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Halo Infinite microtransactions

OP AMA4N

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
As recently, 343 has been giving us positive news on Infinite like split screen is returning back, reach customisation and few other stuff that are coming back that we truly miss from Halo.

However, I know they confirmed microtransactions ages ago and I am still very worried abiut that but they confirmed loot boxes won't happen.

Halo 5 didn't do a good job on microtransactions such as req packs mostly in war zone and they makes the game unbalanced and a player can just buy more req packs to get more powerful weapons and vehicles.

Theres still a way to save Halo Infinite even though there is microtransactions. I think it should be used just on weapon skins and still free DLCs of course. Titanfall 2 was the only game I played that did well on microtransactions and didn't copy other games with microtransactions.

Microtransactions wouldn't work in game or modes like warzone.

Is there any other ways we could save Infinite's microtransactions to still make the game more balanced?
AMA4N wrote:

Warzone was designed from the ground up to have microtransactions pushed on it. You’ll need to explain further.
plus they only confirmed no ‘paid loot boxes with real money’

As per improvements. No 50-100$ versions of anything. Make good looking armor/effects/skins and put a price tag on those if THEY need to be in the game. No Seeker 2.0 for 25$
We know that there aren't any paid money lootboxes in Infinite, which leads me to think 343 will implement Micros in two other ways;

1. They will have some form of premium currency in a similar vein to Destiny's Silver currency.
2. They will adopt a full Reach style unlock system for cosmetics, but allow users to directly purchase armor they have unlocked with both req points or real money.
We know that there aren't any paid money lootboxes in Infinite, which leads me to think 343 will implement Micros in two other ways;

1. They will have some form of premium currency in a similar vein to Destiny's Silver currency.
2. They will adopt a full Reach style unlock system for cosmetics, but allow users to directly purchase armor they have unlocked with both req points or real money.
On the matter of point 1, the same 343 representative who said that paid money lootboxes won't be in Infinite also said that lootboxes obtained by premium currency are the same thing and won't be in Infinite.
Chimera30 wrote:

On the matter of point 1, the same 343 representative who said that paid money lootboxes won't be in Infinite also said that lootboxes obtained by premium currency are the same thing and won't be in Infinite.
That is very interesting can I see the source?
Chimera30 wrote:

He might of meant use the “premium currency” to buy a specific skin or armor set.
I think they could do something like TItanfall 2's store. Selling cosmetic items like special armor and addons for it. They could make it so you unlock the armor in-game then buy addons with either in game currency or directly with real money.
Nalla78 wrote:
That is very interesting can I see the source?
Quote:
“no paid lootboxes if lootboxes are implemented, and lootboxes will not be purchaseable with any premium currency if premium currency is introduced”
You might need to join the discord to view the link, but the topic has been addressed there several times.
He might of meant use the “premium currency” to buy a specific skin or armor set.
Given that he specifically mentioned Destiny's Silver (which is used to both buy individual items and lootboxes) as a parallel and mentioned a seperate point of being able to buy specific items individually, I'm pretty sure he was thinking of lootboxes obtained via premium currency, which has been used by some game companies as a loophole to get around gambling laws in certain regions.
I think monetizing the game could be a great way to extend the life of the game for us fans who want to play it for years to come. Tell me if this idea is any good:

When you first open up the game, you pick one or two types of armory styles or "classes". Something like Spartan II, III, IV, Elite, etc. Each one would have more than enough armor to customize your character to the extent of Reach. And some rare challenges can unlock the classes you don't have yet (like beating legendary). But if you want more to grind for, you can buy the other armory classes for $10-$15 each.

This could make the Spartans (and elites) look diverse in the game. Us hardcore fans can chip in to fund the sequel, while getting meaningful content in return. If they have to sell us stuff, I would like it done this way. I know this is more like dlc but it is way less slimy.

Maybe, if you all like this idea, we can spread it :)
Chimera30 wrote:

Well that is good news! I must of completely missed that.
Cosmetic only, simple.
AMA4N wrote:
As recently, 343 has been giving us positive news on Infinite like split screen is returning back, reach customisation and few other stuff that are coming back that we truly miss from Halo.

However, I know they confirmed microtransactions ages ago and I am still very worried abiut that but they confirmed loot boxes won't happen.

Halo 5 didn't do a good job on microtransactions such as req packs mostly in war zone and they makes the game unbalanced and a player can just buy more req packs to get more powerful weapons and vehicles.

Theres still a way to save Halo Infinite even though there is microtransactions. I think it should be used just on weapon skins and still free DLCs of course. Titanfall 2 was the only game I played that did well on microtransactions and didn't copy other games with microtransactions.

Is there any other ways we could save Infinite's microtransactions to still make the game more balanced?
343I said Reach customisation will be in Halo 6? Are they talking armor wise or?? I must of missed this announcement of just forgot about this. Anyone have a link for this?

As far as microtransactions go, I definitely think they'll be in Halo 6 (unfortunately....) But I think they'll be using an Overwatch kind of system, as it has been pretty widely accepted system as the right way to do microtransactions.
I think monetizing the game could be a great way to extend the life of the game for us fans who want to play it for years to come. Tell me if this idea is any good:

When you first open up the game, you pick one or two types of armory styles or "classes". Something like Spartan II, III, IV, Elite, etc. Each one would have more than enough armor to customize your character to the extent of Reach. And some rare challenges can unlock the classes you don't have yet (like beating legendary). But if you want more to grind for, you can buy the other armory classes for $10-$15 each.

This could make the Spartans (and elites) look diverse in the game. Us hardcore fans can chip in to fund the sequel, while getting meaningful content in return. If they have to sell us stuff, I would like it done this way. I know this is more like dlc but it is way less slimy.

Maybe, if you all like this idea, we can spread it :)
So sort of like an accelerator for getting cosmetics only? That’s acceptable provided the challenges are reasonable and not something like “play through the campaign 4-player LASO with Plasma Pistol only on New Year’s Eve.”

To be clear though, funding the sequel is done by buying the game itself and other products. 343i and Microsoft are not startups that are in need of cash especially since Halo brings them so many profits.
Honestly, I'm not thrilled about micro transactions. In fact that is part of what killed halo 5 for me. Along with terrible story writing, bright art design, limited customization, as well as WAY too many armors and the atrocious pattern designs. But thats beside the point. Micro transactions as delivered in warzone were god awful. The whole fact you had to level up to use a card is ridiculous and frankly I dare say, un Halo. And as stated many times one can simply buy 100 bucks worth of packs (pure stupidity) and have all the good stuff while others continually play the game to earn that one pack is out right a slap in the face. The fact that you can simply buy an abundance of packs to sway a game just isn't right. Now, if we talk about micro transactions such as map packs, hell yeah I'd pay for those. Granted they are awesome maps like they were from Halo: CE all the way to halo 4. Not re hashed skins of the same map. Granted I know Bungie did that with a few of their maps, but they still felt different. But yes if it was back to the old days of map packs I would totally be okay with that. Because I know I will be buying a quality product. Not a pack of random card unlocks. Why, just why. Frankly I'm against micro transactions such as what we witnessed in halo 5 but we will see how it turns out in Halo 6. And honestly I about lost hope after Halo 5. But I knew 343 would turn around. (Hopefully, I'm hearing good things. Very promising things.) I'm still a bit skeptical about 6 after the abomination that was 5. But I'm liking what I'm hearing so far and what i'm seeing. And please... no more armors that look completely un conventional for war. I won't get into that one here since it's not part of the topic. Anyways, I would have to agree that micro transactions if they are around should NOT affect multiplayer gameplay and should only be cosmetic. Like the TOXC Scout Armor skin in Halo 4.
At the end of the day MS is pushing game pass. If gear5 and infinite are day and date releases for the subscription service then they will have a huge amount of optional in game purchases. They have to make appealing profits for the execs some how and prove the validity of a subscription model that can profit as well as generate the standard AAA post release revenue stream.
AMA4N wrote:
...reach customisation and few other stuff that are coming back ...
343I said Reach customisation will be in Halo 6? Are they talking armor wise or?? I must of missed this announcement of just forgot about this. Anyone have a link for this?
What they said was that those who enjoyed the customization options in Halo Reach would like what they have in mind for Infinite
If only they had the balls to actually not bring micro transactions into Infinite...
Bascally, i dont mean like they will copy all the reach's armor, what i meant was the armor gets unlocked by its in game currency and reach's customization had more option to custimize your spartan, but 343 still needs to create their own ideas on what its going to look like.
stckrboy wrote:
AMA4N wrote:
...reach customisation and few other stuff that are coming back ...
What they said was that those who enjoyed the customization options in Halo Reach would like what they have in mind for Infinite
That actually rings a bell. Thanks for posting man.

To me, that sounds more like armor optiond then anything else. Guess we'll find out.

Velspreon wrote:
If only they had the balls to actually not bring micro transactions into Infinite...
I hear ya, but it won't happen. Microtransactions makes way too much money.
As stated in the req pack thread, I don't like this current system. If you would ask me, I'd just pay 20€ more for the base game and get rid of all this Paid DLC / Req Pack stuff. But that's sadly not going to happen.

Microtransactions should not affect any gamemode (WZ in guardians) - liimt it to customization, but not like they did in H5. The whole system has to be worked from the ground up. A lot of armour pieces have to be unlocked by challenges. (Campaign / Multiplayer). And some should be unlocked w. credits in Reach, but for gods sake: No RNG. You could expand this system into forge without damaging the experience of the community. Some single, special / specific / additional aesthethics could be purchasable. (of course new ones, no tools that we should have right from the beginning should be locked)

Example: Regular CCS is a new free object, Truth and reconciliation, shadow of intent have to be unlocked w. credits and a new variant can be purchased.
It's all up to imagination and creativity. Maybe you always wanted to build a UNSC themed map w. a gigantic statue of Chief in the center - but to prevent that every map would have the the same stuff in it, you would have to master a challenge / save a lot of credit for it. And another variant could be purchasable.
But as mentioned before, don't take away tools which were free in the first place.

I'm not saying that this system is perfect, but at least it won't affect any gamemode and be restricted to just some aesthethic-variants and a few armor variants.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2