3. 16
  4. 17
  5. 18
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. ...
  9. 30
eviltedi wrote:
And, also worth noting, Fortnite has thankfully lost a ton of its Player base. BR isn't gonna happen in infinite.
Do you have a link to show that Fortnite has lost a ton of it's player base ? Searches show no recent results, if anything it's doing fine, and so is Battle Royale, Apex Legends launched recently and hit 25 million players in a week, and had 2 million concurrent players on it's first weekend. Fortnite and Apex Legends are well supported games.

I think a Halo stand alone Battle Royale would do well, Apex Legends shows that Battle Royale games are not dying out. If anything there is a massive market for them with three of the top 5 most played on XBL being Battle Royale. The trend will dip, but as soon as another game comes along it will pick up. The one Battle Royale game not doing well is PUBG. It's dropping the Xbox One most played list.

However, I don't believe it's failing because it's a Battle Royale game, it's a mess to play imo. Even on the Xbox X at times. I don't think it's well supported by it's devs, and they got too greedy with overpriced add ons in a paid game imo. Fortnite and Apex Legends, are well supported and free to play. I believe there is room for a Halo Battle Royale, I hope it happens at some point.
Though I am for an innovative BR, I forgot where I saw it( I think ign) but fortnite's revenue dropped 50% last month and personally most of my friends have quit Fortnite and the modern BRs even though we used to play them all the time. We've all gone back to Halo and Rocket league and Minecraft, so I can see this actually coming true, the BR trend fading away that is. I am a little sad, but I won't lose sleep about it, and I still have my classic multiplayer games like the three above that will be around for a LONG TIME. But yeah, BR is(however slow) starting to fade away.
Yes it's revenue dropped, but I asked about the ton of players the player base dropped according to the user I quoted. The revenue dropped but they're still recording records for concurrent players. Also, January is a quiet for most industries, I know because I'm a retail auditor. Another thing, the season pass for this period was sold in December.

Like I said, the player base looks solid, and they can afford to drop a great many after the incredible success they've had. I'm not too bothered, I don't play Fortnite or Apex Legends, but I feel there is room for a Halo Battle Royale. I linked one of the reports I read below. They dropped revenue, but it seems the players are still there.

Fortnite revenue drop.
With the most recent article I read from Gamespot it seems 343 is open to the idea of battle royal.

Personally I do NOT want a battle royal in Halo Infinite. BUT the same article said they hold internal conversations about games after Infinite. If BR is still active and alive in future years I'm all for another Halo ODST singleplayer game with a BR only multiplayer. Could always pay for singleplayer and have a F2P BR mode so its accessible to everyone. I mean, i'm still a firm believer that Halo could make an awesome BR game, but I don't want one in the mainstream games.
It's already been confirmed that there will not be battle Royale, and im glad. And infinite is releasing 2020. Battle Royale is already becoming irrelevant.
Yes, BR is confirmmed NOT to be a part of Halo Infinite, I don't think BR will ever be irrelevant, "Irrelevant" for game modes means no one would want to play it (in my eyes) It's just already becomeing another gamemode, BR will forever have its fans...heck I'm one of them....excluding Fortnite. PUBG, Blackout, and Apex legends were incredible BR games. It's just not getting as much light as more common and accessible games such as Slayer, Infection, and CTF game types.
eviltedi wrote:
And, also worth noting, Fortnite has thankfully lost a ton of its Player base. BR isn't gonna happen in infinite.
Do you have a link to show that Fortnite has lost a ton of it's player base ? Searches show no recent results, if anything it's doing fine, and so is Battle Royale, Apex Legends launched recently and hit 25 million players in a week, and had 2 million concurrent players on it's first weekend. Fortnite and Apex Legends are well supported games.

I think a Halo stand alone Battle Royale would do well, Apex Legends shows that Battle Royale games are not dying out. If anything there is a massive market for them with three of the top 5 most played on XBL being Battle Royale. The trend will dip, but as soon as another game comes along it will pick up. The one Battle Royale game not doing well is PUBG. It's dropping the Xbox One most played list.

However, I don't believe it's failing because it's a Battle Royale game, it's a mess to play imo. Even on the Xbox X at times. I don't think it's well supported by it's devs, and they got too greedy with overpriced add ons in a paid game imo. Fortnite and Apex Legends, are well supported and free to play. I believe there is room for a Halo Battle Royale, I hope it happens at some point.
  • https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2019/02/25/fortnite-revenue-reportedly-drops-by-nearly-50-in-one-month/amp/
It is indeed dropping, and as for the player loss, they've all left to anthem and apex, hence their Rev drop. It still has a good amount of players, but its like a wound slowly bleeding out.
It's already been confirmed that there will not be battle Royale, and im glad. And infinite is releasing 2020. Battle Royale is already becoming irrelevant.
Yes, BR is confirmmed NOT to be a part of Halo Infinite, I don't think BR will ever be irrelevant, "Irrelevant" for game modes means no one would want to play it (in my eyes) It's just already becomeing another gamemode, BR will forever have its fans...heck I'm one of them....excluding Fortnite. PUBG, Blackout, and Apex legends were incredible BR games. It's just not getting as much light as more common and accessible games such as Slayer, Infection, and CTF game types.
I do agree. Apex looks pretty cool. But perhaps it's something we'll see in a future halo game, but as of now, big team battle is as close to BR as we're gonna get. And Halo does not need BR to stay relevant. It's always been a game that stayed on top via Good game play and excellent story narrative, *Except the past 2* But I believe Infinite is gonna do wonderfully.
This is why we have Forge and Custom Games, so we can have our own Battle Royale, should you choose to have one.
The only BR we're getting is the Battle Rifle. Hopefully the 55 model or 85H/85L.
haha
Halo isn't held back by nostalgia lol. Try it's failure to do anything new and offering something unique, some BR mode won't do that when it's just going to end up being an oversaturated market, taking away BRs popularity as it thins out between franchises, effectively ending the trend it has started.

I don't mind it being a tacked on mode, but it shouldn't be prioritized nor will it keep it relevant, how will it stay relevant once BR loses popularity? All you did was trend chase something that was popular and once it's not popular you go back to being irrelevant because you're not doing your own thing.

"CoD and battlefield are doing it" and has it proven it's working? It's not even out yet and people have issues with them. CoD threw away a campaign for it, 👍 great way to piss people off. What will Halo sacrifice for it if they choose to add it?
Completely Concur
eviltedi wrote:

• https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2019/02/25/fortnite-revenue-reportedly-drops-by-nearly-50-in-one-month/amp/
It is indeed dropping, and as for the player loss, they've all left to anthem and apex, hence their Rev drop. It still has a good amount of players, but its like a wound slowly bleeding out.
Did you actually read that Forbes article before writing that reply to me ?

No it's not because of Anthem and Apex. Anthem was not out in January, it's the worst reviewed game in Bioware's history and it's sales are not meeting expectations. I don't think Anthem has sold a fraction of it's projected sales. This is hypothetical, however, if Anthem sold 10 million copies right now, and those 10 million dropped Fortnite for it, Fortnite will lose something like 5% of it's 200 million plus players, a drop in the ocean imo.

If you read the link below, Fortnite is still recording records for concurrent players as recently as this month despite the revenue drop, it also states it's not because of Apex, and there are possible reasons for the drop, like the current season pass being sold in December and not January, which is quite smart business imo, lots of Xmas gift money for skins in games. Not many people have disposable cash after Xmas. They have dropped revenue but not players. I'm still hopeful to see a Halo Battle Royale at some point. Battle Royale is big business and it's going nowhere imo.

Fortnite drop.
You literally have no idea what you're saying. I'm not surprised this post is written by someone who has only played Halo 5.

Halo's popularity stemmed from its uniqueness, not the devs ability to hop on the hot trend train like everyone else. Every triple-A game is releasing with a battle royale mode to do exactly that - copy the popular trend; even if it's not going to stick around forever. Battle royales have been around for a while, although it's likely they may not entirely disappear in a few years, it's currently the popular trend and will eventually lose most of its popularity. Many people, including me and my entire friend group, loathe any and all battle royale game modes. I've played Fortnight and Apex and didn't find much enjoyment out of either. Halo's gameplay is about being in an enclosed or moderately large map and running into an enemy every 10-20 seconds.
If Halo wants to stay unique, it can revive classical movement mechanics and stick with old-school game modes to appeal to new and old players alike. If Halo theoretically did have a BR mode, it would have to compete with the other dozen or so popular battle royale games out there right now.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO keep BR away from halo. Go back to fortnight.
No it doesn't.
I have no problem with a BR mode. It's just another option. And I do like the idea (from someone much earlier in the thread) of using ODST and drop pods instead of Spartans. And it needs some sort of twist to flavour it Halo. Maybe something to do with the flood?
Personality I think a battle royal would be awesome in the forge/customs browser. Imagine if you were able to host a custom game with 99 people, hop in and out of custom games, go 5 teams of 20 Spartans CTF. Forge with its prefabs means people could build/share/mod bases and create a warlords type map with huge fire teams.

I will say BR should be confined to Customs/Forge in order to keep continuity among the community.
What do you think?

Oh yeah, 99 gladiators custom game, I mean come on.
I think a BR type game might work if you drop as a lone ODST and everyone else appears (to you) as covenant.

Of course all the other players think they are the ODST vs 99 covenant as well.
Yo guys, this is important, I just saw the most recent Update regarding Halo Infinite, Because of how amazing Apex Legends is, and after much thought and debate, 343i has decided to change their mind and attempt to develop a Battle Royale Mode, but depending on how good the mode is will depend on if they put it in or not. I do not believe this is a bad idea. Because of how expansive the Haloverse is (both in universe and meta) it would be incredibly interesting to have a 100 player FFA/Team based, landscaped BR mode in the game. My mind has been changed. I'm now Cautiously Optimistic, I want a BR mode in Halo Infinite, but if it's disappointing, I won't be surprised.
Yo guys, this is important, I just saw the most recent Update regarding Halo Infinite, Because of how amazing Apex Legends is, and after much thought and debate, 343i has decided to change their mind and attempt to develop a Battle Royale Mode, but depending on how good the mode is will depend on if they put it in or not. I do not believe this is a bad idea. Because of how expansive the Haloverse is (both in universe and meta) it would be incredibly interesting to have a 100 player FFA/Team based, landscaped BR mode in the game. My mind has been changed. I'm now Cautiously Optimistic, I want a BR mode in Halo Infinite, but if it's disappointing, I won't be surprised.
Where did you see this update and can you link it ?
If they add anything like that into Halo besides bringing Elimination gametypes back, I'm not paying $60 for the game.
The reason why I am against BR in Halo isn't some nebulous and all-encompassing hatred for the game genre. I do not play it nor have an interest in it, but I still think it would detract from Halo. The main issue is that in order for BR to function, it requires a massive pool of players. Meaning that of the limited number of Xbox players who specifically play Halo, a huge chunk of them would be being pooled into the BR game-mode, leaving many of the other playlists emptier. This may not be a major issue at launch, but a year or two down the line, it will become a major issue for both non-BR and BR. This was a major issue in the Invasion gametype in Halo: Reach; by the time the game was a year old, there weren't enough players for the 16-player limit, let alone 100 for BR.

The introduction of BR would also risk 343 having to divert its resources and attention to the game-type, being how massive and complex it is. Games like PUBG work because they hyper-focus on that BR aspect: it is literally the reason why you buy the game. This, is the reason why Halo doesn't need BR to be relevant. It's not a BR game. BR players ≠ all shooter gamers. Gamble from BioWare put it really well when he was asked how Anthem can compete with Apex Legends, and that is: irrelevant. Anthem is a PvE game, it's not the same player base. And so is Halo. Halo isn't going to die just because it doesn't have BR, it still has massive, beloved PvE sections through its campaign and firefight. And, barring that, its multiplayer still appeals to a massive audience and professional gaming setting. Would the world really be better if all game tournaments were BR and MOBA? Halo (through 343 in particular) brings variation to the industry that games like CoD forfeited. I think it's no question that Activision is looking out for their wallet, not CoD's quality or progression as a series.

BR is popular, sure. I would say it definitely is the CoD and Halo of the early 2000s, today. I would go so far as to say that I don't believe it to be a fleeting trend. I think its prominence today is an aspect of technological ease and the rise of socially-inclined gamers (which is also arguably an aspect of technological ease). But BR is certainly not all-encompassing in the industry. The Witcher doesn't need to become a MMORPG to "stay relevant" in the RPG industry (a dumb mistake Capcom made with Dragon's Dogma, btw).

IF 343 creates a BR, which I am not against, it shouldn't be by adding it as a game mode to Halo 6 or 7 or 8 or 35. I think that IF they created a BR, it should be through another game developer like they did with Creative Assembly and Vanguard to create their RTS and twin-stick games. It's too large an endeavor to be added to an already $60 game without detracting from it or adding paid content.
Quote:
The reason why I am against BR in Halo isn't some nebulous and all-encompassing hatred for the game genre. I do not play it nor have an interest in it, but I still think it would detract from Halo. The main issue is that in order for BR to function, it requires a massive pool of players. Meaning that of the limited number of Xbox players who specifically play Halo, a huge chunk of them would be being pooled into the BR game-mode, leaving many of the other playlists emptier. This may not be a major issue at launch, but a year or two down the line, it will become a major issue for both non-BR and BR. This was a major issue in the Invasion gametype in Halo: Reach; by the time the game was a year old, there weren't enough players for the 16-player limit, let alone 100 for BR.

The introduction of BR would also risk 343 having to divert its resources and attention to the game-type, being how massive and complex it is. Games like PUBG work because they hyper-focus on that BR aspect: it is literally the reason why you buy the game. This, is the reason why Halo doesn't need BR to be relevant. It's not a BR game. BR players ≠ all shooter gamers. Gamble from BioWare put it really well when he was asked how Anthem can compete with Apex Legends, and that is: irrelevant. Anthem is a PvE game, it's not the same player base. And so is Halo. Halo isn't going to die just because it doesn't have BR, it still has massive, beloved PvE sections through its campaign and firefight. And, barring that, its multiplayer still appeals to a massive audience and professional gaming setting. Would the world really be better if all game tournaments were BR and MOBA? Halo (through 343 in particular) brings variation to the industry that games like CoD forfeited. I think it's no question that Activision is looking out for their wallet, not CoD's quality or progression as a series.

BR is popular, sure. I would say it definitely is the CoD and Halo of the early 2000s, today. I would go so far as to say that I don't believe it to be a fleeting trend. I think its prominence today is an aspect of technological ease and the rise of socially-inclined gamers (which is also arguably an aspect of technological ease). But BR is certainly not all-encompassing in the industry. The Witcher doesn't need to become a MMORPG to "stay relevant" in the RPG industry (a dumb mistake Capcom made with Dragon's Dogma, btw).

IF 343 creates a BR, which I am not against, it shouldn't be by adding it as a game mode to Halo 6 or 7 or 8 or 35. I think that IF they created a BR, it should be through another game developer like they did with Creative Assembly and Vanguard to create their RTS and twin-stick games. It's too large an endeavor to be added to an already $60 game without detracting from it or adding paid content.
I completely agree. Personally I've never been huge on BR games. I didn't like Fortnite, PUBG was OK, and I do enjoy Apex every now and then but with Halo Infinite coming into the fray when BR is all the rage I still believe that it would harm what Halo is if 343 we're to implement such a game mode. And as you said before it's a huge investment they'd have to make for just one game mode, and I wouldn't want what happened to Fortnite, what would start as just a different game mode but would eventually become the only reason for getting the game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 16
  4. 17
  5. 18
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. ...
  9. 30