Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

[Locked] Halo Infinite Needs Memorable Maps

OP Beibok

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
The title says it all, but we need more maps like Last Resort, Construct, Guardian, Lockout, Blood Gulch, Spire, Valhalla, High Grounds, Sandtrap, Narrows, Hang Em High, etc... Most of Halo 4 and 5's maps were simply not memorable. They weren't necessarily bad maps but they seem to have lost the magic of earlier halo games. It's better for developers to take risks with their maps and have some be loved and others be hated, rather than play it safe and have the game filled with mediocre maps that most people feel indifferent towards like in Halo 4 and 5. They need to have something unique to each map like the wheel on last resort, or the layout of Spire or blood gulch, or the man cannons on Narrows. Halo 5 had a lot of decent maps, but none that I thought were very memorable. Pretty much all of the bases in Warzone were copied and pasted throughout every map! Anyway, It'd be nice to see Halo Infinite take some risks and have truly beautiful, memorable and unique maps like the Halo games used to.
I agree with what you're saying. I was trying to imagine what map I would remember most once I'm done with Halo 5. It's a toss-up between Plaza and The Rig but my feelings about them are moderate at best.

I still get excited every time Truth comes up in a playlist. This falls right in line with what you're saying, being a memorable Halo 2 remake.
I like Apex 7 mostly because it reminds me of Halo 1's Death Island. But not as fun.
I can't remember any other Halo 5 maps. I agree with you.
I've found memorable maps in every title for one reason or another.

CE:

• Sidewinder
  • Blood Gulch
  • Battle Creek
  • Hang 'Em High
  • Boarding Action
  • Rat Race
  • Damnation
  • Cold Storage
  • Prisoner
  • Chiron TL-34
H2:

• Coagulation
  • Waterworks
  • Containment
  • Zanzibar
  • Terminal
  • Headlong
  • Elongation
  • Lockout
  • Colossus
  • Sanctuary
  • Ivory Tower
  • Midship
  • Relic
  • Burial Mounds
  • Tombstone
  • Ascension
  • Turf
  • Warlock
  • Awash
H3:

• Avalanche
  • Valhalla
  • The Pit
  • Standoff
  • Guardian
  • Rat's Nest
  • Construct
  • Last Resort
  • High Ground
  • Heretic
  • Blackout
  • Sandtrap
  • Narrows
  • Sandbox
  • Isolation
  • Ghost Town
  • Epitaph
  • Snowbound
Reach/HCEA:

• Highlands
  • Hemorrhage (Forge World)
  • Ridgeline (HCEA)
  • Countdown
  • Breakneck
  • Battle Canyon (HCEA)
  • Asylum (Forge World)
  • Reflection
  • High Noon (HCEA)
  • Condemned
  • Boardwalk
  • Tempest
  • Paradiso (Forge World)
  • Zealot
  • Penance (HCEA)
  • Powerhouse
  • Pinnacle (Forge World)
  • Uncaged (Forge World)
  • Solitary (HCEA)
H4:

• Longbow
    • Ragnarok
    • Haven
    • Pitfall
    • Meltdown
    • Daybreak
    • Adrift
    • Skyline
    • Outcast
    • Vortex
    • Complex
    • Landfall
    • Exile
    • Settler (Ravine)
    • Abandoned
    • Perdition
    • Harvest
    • Vertigo
    • Solace
    H2A:

• Bloodline
    • Shrine
    • Stonetown
    • Remnant
    • Lockdown
    • Warlord
    • Zenith
    Guardians:
      • Scavenger
      • Echoes
      • Viking
      • Dispelled
      • Eagle Square
      • Traffic Jam
      • Truth
      • Mercy
      • Plaza
      • The Pit
      • Blok Pit
      • Shurima
      • Fissure
      • Hanger
      • The Rig
      • Coliseum
      • Refuge
      • Echelon
      • White Cell
      • Eden
      • Fracture
      • Basin
      • Recurve
      • Deadlock
      • Unearthed
      • Battle Creek
      • Hang 'Em High
      • Ancestor
      • Risen
      • Regret
      • Fathom
      • Tyrant
      • Molten
      • Damnation
      • Cobalt
      • Riptide
      • Rat Race
      • Noburu 7
      • Thermoptic
      • Atlas
      • Pegasus II
      • Orion II
      • Overgrowth
      • Freight
      • Geist
        Absolutely agreed. This is the biggest fault of Halo 5 MP in my opinion, the maps.

They all feel kind of samey. They look the same. They feel the same. They mostly play the same. Tight corridors and alleyways with three levels of verticality. And that's it. No memorable landmarkles, no awe inspiring alien vistas, no fun map gimmicks like the Elephant or the Turbine. Just plain, gray corridors.

As someone who hasn't really played Halo 5 in a year, I can't really remember a single standout map. Obviously, Warzone maps are memorable (despite not always being good) because they at least are graffically impressive and varied (sand, snow, island, city, etc).

The more memorable the map is, and the more visual landmarks it has, the easier it becomes to memorize. And memorizing map layouts, shortcuts and weapon placements is key to competitive Arena multiplayer. If every map looks and plays more or less the same, it's much more difficult to distinguish between them and learn their nooks and crannies.

Meaning, it also affects gameplay (in the end).
        The ball was dropped as far as maps go from H4 & H5 imo. Not sure why H5 has so many reskins? Pure laziness if you ask me. I hope they can see what Halo1-3 did with arena & Btb maps & take a page out of those. I enjoy the maps found in action sack & H3 throwback far more then any map currently in rotation. Bloc Pit ftw.
        Yeah I felt Halo 5's maps weren't as memorable as they could have been except for the forge worlds which were all gorgeous.
        A few years from now there're gonna be posts in these forums about how Halo (7, 8, maybe 9) just don't have classic Halo maps like 4, 5, & 6 used to. Where's the new Plaza? Where's the new Riptide? Where's the new Torque? That's what they'll say. Mark my words. Because honestly, half those "classic" maps you named play like garbage unless maybe you're at the pro level, and none of them are much of anything to look at compared to almost any map in Halo 5. This whole thing sounds like nostalgia to me.
        I disagree with 4 not having any memorable maps, but 5 for sure had really poor maps which all seemed to meld together into the same boring jungle gym template. Halo 5's map designers lacked subtlety; it's like Microsoft went to 343 and said "We're pushing for eSports now" and suddenly Halo stopped having unique and interesting maps.
        Omg, I know right. Halo:5 Guardians didn’t have really any! Maybe one that was in the slayer playlist! As for BTB there was not one map that was rememberal! Instead we got what Halo: Reach got a bunch of Fan made Forge maps that suck! Please 343i make some awesome maps and don’t have a ton load of forge maps in the next game!
        A few years from now there're gonna be posts in these forums about how Halo (7, 8, maybe 9) just don't have classic Halo maps like 4, 5, & 6 used to. Where's the new Plaza? Where's the new Riptide? Where's the new Torque? That's what they'll say. Mark my words. Because honestly, half those "classic" maps you named play like garbage unless maybe you're at the pro level, and none of them are much of anything to look at compared to almost any map in Halo 5. This whole thing sounds like nostalgia to me.
        While there may be some nostalgia here, I would say a lot of Halo 5's most fun maps are just remakes. New maps just seem like copies of another. Torque and Stasis, Truth and Regret, Eden and Empire, Plaza and Overgrowth (or maybe Overgrowth and Riptide). While I do like Halo 5 and it's multiplayer, if it had a voting system for maps like previous titles, it would just be endless Truth games. Just like on MCC where it's constantly Halo 3 BtB games because if it isn't Halo 3, it's not worth playing apparently.
        eLantern wrote:
        I've found memorable maps in every title for one reason or another.

And yet I can't remember a single pvp map in Halo 4,5...the only's I barely remember from Halo 5 is the one that looks like a Doom map, the Warzone maps because there's so few of them while I can barely remember anything from H4. Also kind of sounds like you copied that from a list...plus most maps that are in matchmaking tends to be forge maps. Halo Infinite needs unique interesting maps but in 4,5 there aren't any that make me want to replay them.
          While there may be some nostalgia here, I would say a lot of Halo 5's most fun maps are just remakes. New maps just seem like copies of another. Torque and Stasis, Truth and Regret, Eden and Empire, Plaza and Overgrowth (or maybe Overgrowth and Riptide). While I do like Halo 5 and it's multiplayer, if it had a voting system for maps like previous titles, it would just be endless Truth games. Just like on MCC where it's constantly Halo 3 BtB games because if it isn't Halo 3, it's not worth playing apparently.
          Even if you think of Halo 5 maps as copied pairs (a huge mistake in my book, but for the sake of argument...) then couldn't at least one of each pair be considered on its own merits? Are Plaza and Overgrowth both bad maps merely because of the existence of the other?

On the subject of Halo 5's most fun maps being remakes... If you consider Truth to be "most fun" then what we have here is an inability to agree on what makes a map, or maybe even the game as a whole, "fun." For me symmetrical, usually circular, arena-style maps are not fun. They're the opposite of fun. They force one style of play and punish anyone who doesn't conform. I find it to be very one-dimensional and repetitive. I've never played a match on Truth that didn't work in exactly the same way as every other match on that map. Plaza, on the other hand, feels as if it's never the same map twice. Largely because different players react differently to asymmetrical spaces... but everyone reacts the exact same way to Truth. Or Sanctuary. Or The Pit.
          Even if you think of Halo 5 maps as copied pairs (a huge mistake in my book, but for the sake of argument...) then couldn't at least one of each pair be considered on its own merits? Are Plaza and Overgrowth both bad maps merely because of the existence of the other?
          U
          On the subject of Halo 5's most fun maps being remakes... If you consider Truth to be "most fun" then what we have here is an inability to agree on what makes a map, or maybe even the game as a whole, "fun." For me symmetrical, usually circular, arena-style maps are not fun. They're the opposite of fun. They force one style of play and punish anyone who doesn't conform. I find it to be very one-dimensional and repetitive. I've never played a match on Truth that didn't work in exactly the same way as every other match on that map. Plaza, on the other hand, feels as if it's never the same map twice. Largely because different players react differently to asymmetrical spaces... but everyone reacts the exact same way to Truth. Or Sanctuary. Or The Pit.
          I never said that Truth was fun. I was just making a joke that everyone seems to put Midship and it's subsequent remakes as ringers of the Great Journey. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. The Internet is both a blessing and a curse.

Like I stated before, I enjoy Halo 5 immensely. I meant to say that the twin maps I mentioned earlier seemed like 343 ran out of ideas for new maps and just decided to tweak the appearance of a map and add or remove some corridors or buildings just so Halo 5 can have enough new.

The Rig, Empire, Plaza, Raid on Apex 7, Temple, Torque, Riptide are some of my favourite original Halo 5 maps. And those are just the ones I can think off the top of my head. Since we both seem to be in the minority and actually like Halo 5, why don't you message me on Xbox Live and we can play some game togethet?
          What I don't want is for each map to copy and paste pieces of each other. It was like stepping into the Twilight zone when I played Halo 5 Warzone for the first time. Every base looks the same? This is a treachery much worse than simply not having memorable maps. That right there is a blatant lack of creativity or laziness.
          I disagree, as we have already seen the only maps that people ask to see return from 4 are haven and exile...aka the 2 maps that made up half of the rotation in H4.
          In my eyes plaza and mercy are the only maps that break the mould and even then Plaza has a bad green filter on and some copy/paste human themed geometry.

It doesn't even have to play well to be visually distinct, gemini from H2 is a bad map, it has a weak layout and unintersting gameplay, i would argue that it stands out visually more than H4 or 5 maps. All the human maps in H5 look like a glorified forge canvas, mainly because of how paint by numbers all those maps look.

To just use some 4v4 maps, lets gather 8 maps (the majority) from each game.

CE: Chill out, Hang em, Damnation, Ratrace, Derelict, Battle creek, Prisoner, Chiron
          Due to the age look a tad samey texture wise, even then still some diversity.

2: Beaver creek, Warlock, Sanctuary, Midship, Lockout, Elongation, Ivory tower, ascension
          I dont think you could visually confuse any of these maps, they all look distinct from each other.

3: The Pit, Guardian, Construct, Heretic, Narrows, Snowbound, Isolation, Orbital
          H3 reused the forerunner theme a bit with Construct, Epitaph, Cold storage and Citadel, but otherwise the map pool seems diverse.

Reach: Zealot, Countdown, Reflection, Boardwalk, Swordbase, Penance, Powerhouse, Battle canyon
          If it wasn't for CE:A then anchor 9 and condemned would of been the other 2 maps, and would of been all the 4v4 maps available. The closest you get to similarity is Penance and Zealot being covenant themed.

4: Haven, Skyline, Abandon, Landfall, Adrift, Solace, Pitfall, Monolith
          These are all the proper 4v4 maps, the rest are mid-sized like complex or vertigo, or big. All maps can be categorized as human or forerunner and they share many visual themes, to the point they feel less distinct. Haven, Solace and Monolith all look different but their landmarks look samey. Skyline, Abandon, Landfall, Pitfall & Adrift have a different theme but many of the same pieces and textures.

5: Plaza, Rig, Coliseum, Empire, Fathom, Torque, Truth, mercy
          Riptide, Eden, Regret, stasis, overgrowth, molten are all remakes, i'd argue tyrant is a soft remake of Coliseum, that leaves the Haven reskin as the only map without a clone, that immediately makes them all less interesting. Plaza, Rig, Empire, Fathom, Torque, Riptide, Eden, Stasis, Overgrowth and Molten are all human maps and they all share very similar geometry or even just geometric style making them look more homogenous..10 maps.

Why can't 343 design a human theme and have 2 maps within that theme not look really samey, it's as bad as the H3 example of Construct et al that i gave..except in H5 they make up a majority of the 4v4 maps.
          I agree that Halo needs more memorable maps. I honestly can't think of a single Halo 5 map that I'm just itching for them to remake in Infinite. Halo 4 did have some pretty maps, but I don't remember them because I didn't play the game much
          i really like fathom and molten h5, i dont remember those from halo 4, and before that i only played campaing.
          ronnie42 wrote:
          And yet I can't remember a single pvp map in Halo 4,5...the only's I barely remember from Halo 5 is the one that looks like a Doom map, the Warzone maps because there's so few of them while I can barely remember anything from H4. Also kind of sounds like you copied that from a list...plus most maps that are in matchmaking tends to be forge maps. Halo Infinite needs unique interesting maps but in 4,5 there aren't any that make me want to replay them.
          That's obviously on you that you can't remember. I remember many.

How exactly does my list "sound" like I copied it? I'll tell you exactly what I did to compile it. I started with each title and fairly quickly ran through the maps that I remembered (aka memorable) off the top of my head for one-reason or another. I suppose I could have spent a little more time giving it thought in order to ensure I didn't miss any maps that I thought might have been memorable, but I figured there were reasons why these maps popped into my mind quickly that made them exactly that... memorable. Would you like me to add a little something behind them that relates to why they were memorable to me? Oh, and what's wrong with Forge maps that make it into MMing? All that should matter is if the they're memorable.

CE:
          • Sidewinder - It was my favorite big team CE map.
          • Blood Gulch - It was the ideal CE big team CTF map.
          • Battle Creek - God, I remember the rushes for the power-ups and controlling the teleporters off spawn.
          • Hang 'Em High - The power position(s) were critical. Trying to flip spawns required some sneaky movement, clutch shooting, and teamwork.
          • Boarding Action - Just Rockets and Snips was the most fun way to play this map.
          • Rat Race - Moving as a group to control the power-ups while trying to remain unpredictable to the opposing team.
          • Damnation - Like Hang 'Em High you must control the power position. It's critical.
          • Cold Storage - Team movement needed to be pretty calculated.
          • Prisoner - One of the ideal CE FFA maps.
          • Chiron TL-34 - Chaotic FFA fun or aggrevation.
          H2:
          • Coagulation - Took Blood Gulch to the next level.
          • Waterworks - Might have been my favorite H2 Big Team map. Neutral Bomb was the ideal mode. Using the Wraith to move boxes to block easy access to your base was a tactic.
          • Containment - Big Team trench warfare.
          • Zanzibar - Attack/Defend game modes never had a better map. Beware the stupid super bouncers.
          • Terminal - That initial rush/defend. Don't miss with the Wraith against the Gauss Hog.
          • Headlong - Before it was fixed everyone loved to take the flag down the stairwell in order to grab it through the wall.
          • Elongation - Awesome re-imagination of CE's Longest. Box build-ups led to some interesting matches in CTF.
          • Lockout - What seemed like everyone's favorite 4v4 & 2v2 map. Most popular.
          • Colossus - One of my favorite sniper maps. Gave me a similar thrill to Boarding Action matches.
          • Sanctuary - I thought it was the most underrated 4v4 map in Halo 2, but then I discovered it was widely praised as one of the most competitive.
          • Ivory Tower - God, I loved that elevator aspect of this map. Working as a team to control the top floor was vital.
          • Midship - Pink Tower. I didn't really think too much of this map initially, but watching MLG matches gave me a new respect for it.
          • Relic - An awesome FFA snipers map. And another fun attack/defend rush map. Just getting the Flag tossed off of the structure was such a big deal.
          • Burial Mounds - Rocket rush on defense. And attempting to jump up through front window on your offensive rush were memorable to me. Also, when used for team snipers you could pin an opposing team into one hell of a nasty spawn trap.
          • Tombstone - Many people didn't like it, but I liked the new renditions added to a classic.
          • Ascension - Tower of Power.
          • Turf - I remember this was the first map that I got outside of the map.
          • Warlock - Another map I began to appreciate more because of MLG Halo.
          • Awash - What a beautiful thematic map. It was nobody's favorite, but it had a wonderful feel it it.
          H3:
          • Avalanche - I would argue that it's one of the best Big Team maps ever made. A wonderful re-imagining of Sidewinder.
          • Valhalla - Everyone's favorite Big Team map which makes sense since it's a damn good one.
          • The Pit - Pretty fantastic in every way. Oh, and cone deaths were something to experience.
          • Standoff - I always enjoyed this map. And possibly my favorite custom game used it.
          • Guardian - Everyone's favorite. Most popular.
          • Rat's Nest - One of my personal favorites. I loved the mix of viable options in getting about the map.
          • Construct - Pushing explosive containers up the purple boosts with a nade following led to some sweet multi-kills.
          • Last Resort - I was so glad the brought back Zanzibar.
          • High Ground - I enjoyed all the diverse methods you could approach the base.
          • Heretic - The return of classic Midship.
          • Blackout - A newly themed take on the classic Lockout map.
          • Sandtrap - The Elephants made non-slayer based objectives so unique.
          • Narrows - MLG game-play made me appreciate this map more than I initially did.
          • Sandbox - A great forging map.
          • Isolation - The base-window-to-base window grenade throws and gun-fire was different.
          • Ghost Town - I had a fairly decently skilled buddy go 0-16 in a match on this map. Since then we referred to it as the Matt Millen match.
          • Epitaph - I always appreciated it as a pretty good FFA map. Oh, and I had a rocket that I fired reflected (via the Gravity Hammer) back into my face. I was stunned into disbelief.
          • Snowbound - Everyone's disliked map. What I best recall from this map was an excellent picture I took that I submitted in hopes of making it into the Bungie weekly update.
          Reach/HCEA:
          • Highlands - I felt it was one of the most underrated Big Team maps ever made.
          • Hemorrhage (Forge World) - Excellent throwback map. The primary reason I loved the Forge World cavass.
          • Ridgeline (HCEA) - It came out late in Reach's life-cycle, but it was a very good Big Team map.
          • Countdown - I felt it was an excellent 4v4 map.
          • Breakneck - A beautiful recreation of Headlong; though, I wasn't sure why the choose to recreate a Halo 2 map as part of the Anniversary Map Pack.
          • Battle Canyon (HCEA) - I loved the new take on a classic.
          • Asylum (Forge World) - The return of a 4v4 favorite: Sanctuary.
          • Reflection - An absolutely gorgeous re-make of Ivory Tower.
          • High Noon (HCEA) - A beautiful remake of Hang 'Em High.
          • Condemned - The low gravity middle room was such a splendid idea.
          • Boardwalk - Gave me a throwback map feeling and it played well for most playlists. Personally, I liked it for snipers and SWAT.
          • Tempest - I thought it was a very visually pleasing map.
          • Paradiso (Forge World) - I personally liked controlling the middle mountain area.
          • Zealot - Boosting up into a low gravity space above the interior map section was really neat.
          • Penance (HCEA) - I just really enjoyed having these CE maps re-created. It looked tremendous.
          • Powerhouse - I appreciated all the ways this map could be played. I even thought it made for a pretty good sniping and SWAT map.
          • Pinnacle (Forge World) - An opportunity to play some Tower of Power.
          • Uncaged (Forge World) - I like the Uncaged version better than the Caged version.
          • Solitary (HCEA) - Another beautiful recreation of a CE map.
          (continued for H4, H2A, & H5)
          I think that for Reach’s 10th anniversary, they should remake all of Reach’s multiplayer maps (not the ones made from Forge World) and bring them to Infinite’s multiplayer
          1. 1
          2. ...
          3. ...
          4. 2