Halo Infinite Needs more Diverse Characters

OP Hella Hot Trash

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
I love the Halo series, but what's really lacking is a variety of types of characters. There's been like eight games, yet no trans, disabled, or Asian spartans. Being a very unique person myself, I would love to edit the look and overall person of my spartan, similar to Mass Effect where you can pretty much be whoever you want. In Mass Effect I made my character look like a goth goddess similar to how Lilith from Cheer's looks. Just imagine, having a facial and body editor and Halo and being able to play with them in multiplayer. It would be amazing.
I think character creators are great for RPGs. However, Infinite's story has been confirmed to continue the adventures of Master Chief. There's no customizing the Chief; he looks how he looks, even if we've yet to see what's under the helmet.

As far as personal Spartans go, assuming that Infinite let's you make your own Spartan in multiplayer as previous Halos have, I don't see much use for a character creator along the lines of Mass Effect for a face you'll never get to see. All the Spartans in multiplayer keep their helmets on. I certainly don't think that should change, either; I don't want to see a bunch of Spartans running sans helmet around in multiplayer. When it comes to who's under your Spartan's helmet, I think that's up to your imagination, as it should be. Whether you imagine yourself in that armor or a completely original character, it doesn't change the game.
We had Kat with her robotic arm! ☺

Anyway, I love the freedom and diversity RPG titles can give you. And not just Bioware games! TES, Fable, DE:IW and so on! But that's the point, we're talking about role playing, Halo is a shooter. Quite honestly I don't give a damn if DOOM Guy is a transsexual super PC minority as long the pg got a tool of desdestruction to devastate some old school metal demons! 🤘😎

If 343i adds it fine! It is very low on my priority list though, not gonna lie.

Plus writers in linear games, movies and comics often tend to use stereotypes instead of writing real characters lately... It seems like they get so PC to become afraid of the very diversity they try to push, and I don't want a Marvel comic situation on our hands too. Especially not after H5.

And if we're talking MP, well, how can you tell? Like Chimera said, every Spartan wears a Helmet! I rather have more playable species, robotic limbs and different voice-overs than! Gameplay over everything!
Chimera30 wrote:
I think character creators are great for RPGs. However, Infinite's story has been confirmed to continue the adventures of Master Chief. There's no customizing the Chief; he looks how he looks, even if we've yet to see what's under the helmet.

As far as personal Spartans go, assuming that Infinite let's you make your own Spartan in multiplayer as previous Halos have, I don't see much use for a character creator along the lines of Mass Effect for a face you'll never get to see. All the Spartans in multiplayer keep their helmets on. I certainly don't think that should change, either; I don't want to see a bunch of Spartans running sans helmet around in multiplayer. When it comes to who's under your Spartan's helmet, I think that's up to your imagination, as it should be. Whether you imagine yourself in that armor or a completely original character, it doesn't change the game.
Yes, of course, the customized spartan would not be playable in campaign, that's obvious enough. However, the multiplayer of the game could very well have open world elements to it. As Halo 5 stands, I feel very unattached to my spartan because of the underwhelming options there are: weapon skin, stance, visor color, helmet (which most aren't that great) I mean, don't get me wrong it is a good variety, but when I look at the spartan next to my gamertag, I really don't feel like that represents me at all, mostly because anyone else can just have the same exact thing.

Now lets be clear, I'm not saying that helmet-less customized spartans should be a part of matchmaking, I'm saying that the feature will tremendously enhance the social aspect of Halo. Pre-game and post- game lobbies, social spaces, service records, heck, even an action sack variation of "helmetless slayer" would be awesome and hilarious. Or, how about a legendary customizable item of a see-through visor so you can actually see the person's unique face? The possibilities of having your very own customized face goes well beyond 4v4 ranked matches.

The bottom line is that if implemented correctly, a customizable body and face generator would not negatively impact the experience, even for people who don't want it. It would be a very welcomed addition to the franchise and thousands of people would create unique looking faces that reflects who they are or who they want to be in the game.

Don't like the customizable face option? Just keep the helmet on.
Don't like people who use it? Just don't look at their service records or avatars, but honestly I can't see why this would bother anyone lol

I myself have also been close-minded in the past about the features of the new 343 Halos, but after I just loosened up and accepted the changes, I actually grew to like them and actually prefer some of them over the old games. For example:
  • Call outs in Halo 5: At first I was like, what the heck is this. Why is my spartan talking. Why is there some random announcer telling me when weapons will spawn. omg.
    but after awhile, I realized why they put them in and the fact that it really did make me feel like I was on a team and the fact that since nobody in xbox live uses mics anymore, it was useful to have pre-set recordings talking to my spartan when I made a good shot or died or something. Sad? Yes, but that's just the gaming atmosphere that's become, and 343 found a good way to fill the void of silent lobbies.
  • Halo 4's Covenant not speaking English: At first, I was like why, where's the lulz, where's the chuckles, where's the giggles, where's the grunts screaming DEMON while running for his life? But as the story progressed, I realized that it actually enhanced the campaign. Whether it was intentional or not, the lack of dialogue from the covenant helps the player focus on what the stories actually about, and for a change it's not entirely about the Covenant and what they're doing, it was about the UNSC, Cortana and Chief, and humanity's role in the universe.
  • Shiny, almost cartoonish style armor. This is one of the most complained about things about the 343 Halo's style, which I actually was in the bandwagon of before. I absolutely hated how bright and shiny everything was, that was until I realized how much more beneficial it was to gameplay. If you play Halo 2 classic or even remastered, it's sometimes impossible to see the enemies because they just blend in with the shadows that they're in. Is that more realistic? Yep. Is it good for gameplay? Unless you like squinting super hard and turning up the brightness on your tv, then maybe.
I feel like my past self would have also been against the idea of a customizable face option and would have said something along the lines of your statement "All spartans keep their helmets on in multiplayer, I certainly don't think that should change." without seeing the bigger picture of how cool and interesting it could become.

Also, I already know the argument of resources, time, and money is going to come into play when regarding the development of this imaginary facial generator customization option, and all I have to say is I don't buy it. Mass Effect 1 was released in 2007 and has a face generator that would be perfectly fine, so people telling me that more than ten years later a billion dollar company developing one of their highest budget games of one of the biggest franchises in video game history can't create a simple face generator because of money? lol Nah.
Halo 5 had 240 different helmets, surely they can slice that number down a bit and introduce something as simple as a customizable face too.
I wouldn't mind character editor features for multiplayer though if you have a suit of armour and helmet on all the time it wouldn't make sense. They'd have to make it so you can have your helmet off if you want.
I wouldn't mind character editor features for multiplayer though if you have a suit of armour and helmet on all the time it wouldn't make sense. They'd have to make it so you can have your helmet off if you want.
Read the comment I wrote to the other guy and it explains my standing on this issue.
I don't think Diverse is the correct term your looking for. I could careless if there's females, black dudes etc. I just want a fleshed out Characters. For instance I loved Lasky's Character in Halo 4, but in Halo 5 he seemed out of place. Thinking about Agent Locke I'd like to see him along side Master Chief. Same With Arbiter. Honestly in multiplayer Campaign the characters you plays as in that need to have relevance to Master Chief. Locke, Arbiter, and Palmer are very Relevant. But in all the story should focus on Master Chief until he isn't the face of Halo anymore. No character has came close to replacing him yet. Maybe Spartan Thorn. One day, but just not yet.
If Halo goes to some type of story where you are a new Spartan and there's a story reason for you to have your own character, then sure. But right now the last thing Halo needs is more characters.
I don't think Diverse is the correct term your looking for. I could careless if there's females, black dudes etc. I just want a fleshed out Characters. For instance I loved Lasky's Character in Halo 4, but in Halo 5 he seemed out of place. Thinking about Agent Locke I'd like to see him along side Master Chief. Same With Arbiter. Honestly in multiplayer Campaign the characters you plays as in that need to have relevance to Master Chief. Locke, Arbiter, and Palmer are very Relevant. But in all the story should focus on Master Chief until he isn't the face of Halo anymore. No character has came close to replacing him yet. Maybe Spartan Thorn. One day, but just not yet.
Would love to see John, Locke, and Arbiter (assuming he's back to the classic Elite style) fighting alongside each other. Maybe toss in Palmer for the fourth if it's 4 player co-op.
I get what you're saying about customization, but there are male, female, black, white, Hispanic, Indian, etc characters in a variety of roles:
  • The top dog of ONI and arguably most powerful person in all of human controlled space was a female named Margaret Parangosky, and she was replaced by a Turkish female named Serin Osman.
  • Locke is black and the leader of Fireteam Osiris, which is a team comprised of two males and two females. Blue Team has the same composition in Halo 5.
  • The book "The Cole Protocol" focuses on several Hispanic characters
  • The leader of Carrow in the book "Envoy" is female
  • Sergeant Devereaux from Kilo Five is part Chinese
  • The leader of all Spartans aboard infinity is a female named Commander Sarah Palmer
  • In "Halo Evolutions: Dirt", I'm pretty sure Felicia Sanderson is lesbian
There are many others I'm sure, but I can't remember them all
Read the comment I wrote to the other guy and it explains my standing on this issue.
Just read it. I wouldn't mind what you suggested about having it display outside of the matches.
I get what you're saying about social lobbies, but overall I just don't really think it's important to the core Halo experience. MJOLNIR armor is a staple of Halo multiplayer and removing the helmet in any kind of gameplay would just look silly.
Are u sure "diverse" is the word you want to use? There are diverse characters in Halo, especially if you wanna count the marines. Plus, youre playing a game about ALIENS.. Whats more diverse than having different sets of species? Female characters are dope too; Miranda, Cortana, Foehammer, Palmer, Halsey... I can keep going too. Halos fine with its characters, some just need a little more development. And does Halo really need trans characters? And with all due respect, can we leave that kinda stuff out of Halo? I can already see an uproar if that were to happen. You see how other franchises turned out after trying new things just to appeal to everybody; not good.
Also, I already know the argument of resources, time, and money is going to come into play when regarding the development of this imaginary facial generator customization option, and all I have to say is I don't buy it. Mass Effect 1 was released in 2007 and has a face generator that would be perfectly fine, so people telling me that more than ten years later a billion dollar company developing one of their highest budget games of one of the biggest franchises in video game history can't create a simple face generator because of money? lol Nah.
Halo 5 had 240 different helmets, surely they can slice that number down a bit and introduce something as simple as a customizable face too.
This statement just sounds to me like a gross underestimation of the difficulty of game development. Mass Effect 1's character creator technology is considered greatly outdated by today's standards; I highly doubt it would be considered "perfectly fine" by modern gamers. Mass Effect Andromeda's character creator got alot of criticism upon that game's release, with some outlets calling it a step backwards for Bioware. Destiny 1 and 2 both got critiques on the shallowness of the character creator. And both Destiny and Mass Effect are games where you spend considerable time with your own custom character in actual story elements, not just multiplayer matches.

I just find the idea of a character creator wholly unnecessary. And while you say the inclusion of one wouldn't hurt anyone, I'd argue that a half-baked character creator is worse than none at all. Not only would it require time and resources to develop which could potentially take away or delay development of other--arguably more important--features, but it would be judged as if it were a major component of the game simply because it was there, even if it wasn't a major aspect. So it would behoove 343 to make it as good as they could, but that's not an easy task, especially for a developer that hasn't forayed into character creation like that before. So for something like Infinite, I'd rather they stick to what they know. Experiment in spin-off games; Halo could use more of those, anyway.
I love the Halo series, but what's really lacking is a variety of types of characters. There's been like eight games, yet no trans, disabled, or Asian spartans. Being a very unique person myself, I would love to edit the look and overall person of my spartan, similar to Mass Effect where you can pretty much be whoever you want. In Mass Effect I made my character look like a goth goddess similar to how Lilith from Cheer's looks. Just imagine, having a facial and body editor and Halo and being able to play with them in multiplayer. It would be amazing.
Reach had a character with a prosthetic arm. I’d say that’s a sort of disability? But I do get what you mean.
Chimera30 wrote:
This statement just sounds to me like a gross underestimation of the difficulty of game development. Mass Effect 1's character creator technology is considered greatly outdated by today's standards; I highly doubt it would be considered "perfectly fine" by modern gamers. Mass Effect Andromeda's character creator got alot of criticism upon that game's release, with some outlets calling it a step backwards for Bioware. Destiny 1 and 2 both got critiques on the shallowness of the character creator. And both Destiny and Mass Effect are games where you spend considerable time with your own custom character in actual story elements, not just multiplayer matches.

I just find the idea of a character creator wholly unnecessary. And while you say the inclusion of one wouldn't hurt anyone, I'd argue that a half-baked character creator is worse than none at all. Not only would it require time and resources to develop which could potentially take away or delay development of other--arguably more important--features, but it would be judged as if it were a major component of the game simply because it was there, even if it wasn't a major aspect. So it would behoove 343 to make it as good as they could, but that's not an easy task, especially for a developer that hasn't forayed into character creation like that before. So for something like Infinite, I'd rather they stick to what they know. Experiment in spin-off games; Halo could use more of those, anyway.
Well that's just the problem. Somehow random YouTube "content creators," bloggers, and other influential social media users continue to spread the fallacy that game developers just don't have enough money to put certain features in games, when really something like a customizable face generator isn't the end of the world, and I'm sure multi-billion dollar Microsoft can afford it. The internet gaming critique rage culture is the exact opposite of what it believes itself to be, it's super counterproductive and misleading and very misinformed, and it's gotten so bad to the point where people refuse to play Halo 5 simply because they watched a bunch of silly negative videos about it, so it's kinda like those ppl who claim they hate movies they've never even seen.

And when you say "outdated by today's standards" you literally just contradicted yourself in the next statement saying that Andromeda's was a step down. ; if that's the case, then it was ahead of its time, which I think clearly was. And you said "it wouldn't be perfectly fine with modern gamers," when exactly is the last time gamers were actually satisfied with something ? Lol

I myself would be perfectly fine with a facial generator similar to mass effect 1, 2, 3, or Andromeda, and it would be a great step for them to make the most personal Halo experience ever created.

Just like I think that Warzone was a "waste of resources" similar to how you think a facial generator would be a waste too, that doesn't give us the right to say the features shouldn't be in the game.

Thousands of people love Warzone, and thousands of people would love to create a spartan with customizable facial and body features. My claim is that if Halo Infinite is going to be a live service open world style game, then creating the most possible options for customizing your Spartan would be the best way to go, facial generator included.
Oh, you meant superficial diversity. My mistake. I thought you had something meaningful to say.
Well that's just the problem. Somehow random YouTube "content creators," bloggers, and other influential social media users continue to spread the fallacy that game developers just don't have enough money to put certain features in games, when really something like a customizable face generator isn't the end of the world, and I'm sure multi-billion dollar Microsoft can afford it. The internet gaming critique rage culture is the exact opposite of what it believes itself to be, it's super counterproductive and misleading and very misinformed, and it's gotten so bad to the point where people refuse to play Halo 5 simply because they watched a bunch of silly negative videos about it, so it's kinda like those ppl who claim they hate movies they've never even seen.
It's entirely possible for people to have their own opinions about things without being influenced by youtubers or other such content creators. I decided I didn't like Halo 5 after playing it almost every day for a year. I think the idea that content creators have turned players against H5 with unsubstantiatied claims is exagerated; I think most players who express concern with H5 have legitimate greivances, albeit there are some who are overly critical, for sure. And while I don't think a character creator would be impossible to put into Halo Infinite, I do question why it would be necessary and whether it could be done in a way that satisfies the player base.
And when you say "outdated by today's standards" you literally just contradicted yourself in the next statement saying that Andromeda's was a step down. ; if that's the case, then it was ahead of its time, which I think clearly was. And you said "it wouldn't be perfectly fine with modern gamers," when exactly is the last time gamers were actually satisfied with something ? Lol
It wasn't a contradiction. The outlets who critiqued Andromeda's character creator called it a step back from Dragon Age Inquisition's character creator. They weren't comparing it to ME1's character creator. Bioware obviously developed many games between ME1 and MEA, so that's alot of steps forward between those two games. The reference point wasn't ME1.
I myself would be perfectly fine with a facial generator similar to mass effect 1, 2, 3, or Andromeda, and it would be a great step for them to make the most personal Halo experience ever created.

Just like I think that Warzone was a "waste of resources" similar to how you think a facial generator would be a waste too, that doesn't give us the right to say the features shouldn't be in the game.
I mean, I have every right to say I'd rather not have a character creator, just as you have every right to say you want one. As gamers, all we can do is voice what we like and don't like. Ultimately it's up to 343 to decide what is worth putting into a Halo game and what isn't. But to say we don't have the right to say features shouldn't be in a game is ludicrous. No game can--or should, imo--have every feature ever made for a video game.
My claim is that if Halo Infinite is going to be a live service open world style game, then creating the most possible options for customizing your Spartan would be the best way to go, facial generator included.
That's a big "if". I personally hope that HI isn't an open-world game. I'd rather it be a more traditional, linear Halo title. We don't have much when it comes to information at this point, so who knows what HI could end up actually being. However, with the focus on Master Chief having been confirmed, it sounds like having a character creator would be entirely unnecessary, at least for the Campaign. Where that leaves the multiplayer for Infinite is unknown; however, open-world PvP experiences are much different games than anything Halo has done, and often break away from the core values that Halo MP has had since CE (compare GTA Online, an open-world pvp experience, to any Halo, and you'll see what I mean).
NightClerk wrote:
Would love to see John, Locke, and Arbiter (assuming he's back to the classic Elite style) fighting alongside each other. Maybe toss in Palmer for the fourth if it's 4 player co-op.
Yup for the 4th could be Spartan Thorn from Spartans Ops. He does have some Significance to Chief. Not a lot though.
People keep overthinking this. Halo CE is still to this day the best Halo campaign in existence. How many main characters did it have? How much screentime were each of these characters involved in? Now let's look at the Halo game with the most diverse cast: Halo 5. Which made for a better campaign?
People forget what Halo is and what makes a good Halo campaign. You're all focusing on the wrong things. All that matters is a general, enjoyable and somewhat believable plot with high stakes to motivate the player. That's it. Gameplay and level design is where the attention needs to be focused for a great Halo experience, and once again I say, look to Halo CE.

I don't play Halo to see myself represented in any characters. That's already the benefit of playing a first-person-shooter with immersive gameplay during which the player-character never talks. And even then, it's escapism. The last thing I want is to see myself in the Master Chief as a character.
Let's not mess with the format of Halo. If you think it's important to see transexual, disabled, etc. characters, then you're looking for it in the wrong games.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5