Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Halo Infinite Plot: Infinity ship destroyed

OP Axiios

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I have a strong feeling, & a stronger piece of insider knowledge that a significant plot point of Halo Infinite will involve the ship "Infinity" destroyed in the beginning of the game. Most Spartans will be dead, except Master Chief will be one of the FEW remaining Spartans that escaped the ship with some marines as well as the crash land on you guessed it...Installation 07 or "Zeta Halo". This will be 343's "soft reboot" & open up an entirely new realm of possibilities for the Halo story, as well as keeping Spartans mythical in a sense.

Also Master Chief's unlikely partner in crime in this game....Mindicant Bias. (who is looking to atone for some sins perhaps?)
Not that I'm disagreeing with that possibility, but what's a "stronger piece of insider knowledge?"

Rumours are plentiful about all new Halo games.
How is killing more than half of the newly established characters in one fell swoop just to go for some nostalgia "opening new possibilities"?

There is no justification in the story to do a 1-1 retread of Halo CE, or to try and make the Created arc into the Great War. This is a new part of the story and it must be different. Yes, we'll be on a Halo again. Yes, it appears we'll crash down *que CE vibes*, but killing off the entire crew of the Infinity (including pretty much every character 343i has created for the series) will be entirely counterproductive.

Though to be honest, I also wouldn't be surprised.
How is killing more than half of the newly established characters in one fell swoop just to go for some nostalgia "opening new possibilities"?

There is no justification in the story to do a 1-1 retread of Halo CE, or to try and make the Created arc into the Great War. This is a new part of the story and it must be different. Yes, we'll be on a Halo again. Yes, it appears we'll crash down *que CE vibes*, but killing off the entire crew of the Infinity (including pretty much every character 343i has created for the series) will be entirely counterproductive.

Not disputing you or anything, but where do we get the image that it appears we'll crash onto 07?
LoxtonA01 wrote:

Not disputing you or anything, but where do we get the image that it appears we'll crash onto 07?
I believe you quoted the wrong response on this thread. I can only assume that they are going off of the decoded Morse code from the trailer for the SlipSpace engine.
LoxtonA01 wrote:

It's not confirmed, really. Just the way the marines are limping around, throwing down the orange smoke. Seems very similar to CE's first mission, with Master Chief traveling around the Halo and regrouping with various stranded marines.
All the ships get destroyed lol. The pillar of autumn, in amber clad, forward unto dawn. Keyes lost 2 ships, so irresponsible lol.
Mmmmaybe. I can see Infinity getting heavily damaged once they choose to fight Cortana and whatever force she will field against them. Doubt all characters will die.

Btw did you just lie about having a "stronger piece of insider knowledge" in an attempt to make your post seem better?
All the ships get destroyed lol. The pillar of autumn, in amber clad, forward unto dawn. Keyes lost 2 ships, so irresponsible lol.
Well, In Amber Clad was truly her responsibility, but Forward Unto Dawn really wasn't.

Why do people really want the Infinity to be destroyed? I just don't get it in the slightest.
Axiios wrote:
I have a strong feeling, & a stronger piece of insider knowledge that a significant plot point of Halo Infinite will involve the ship "Infinity" destroyed in the beginning of the game. Most Spartans will be dead, except Master Chief will be one of the FEW remaining Spartans that escaped the ship with some marines as well as the crash land on you guessed it...Installation 07 or "Zeta Halo". This will be 343's "soft reboot" & open up an entirely new realm of possibilities for the Halo story, as well as keeping Spartans mythical in a sense.

Also Master Chief's unlikely partner in crime in this game....Mindicant Bias. (who is looking to atone for some sins perhaps?)
Killing off so many characters in the blink of an eye would be confirmation that 343 has learned nothing about the criticism people give them for haphazardly killing characters off. You just reduce what characters you have to work with and reduce the number of stories you can tell. The Infinity being destroyed is possible, but it's such a predictable move that I wouldn't be shocked if 343 did something different to alter expectations. Mendicant Bias having a presence in the games is also highly unlikely. He's just a character too deeply entrenched in the lore.
Axiios wrote:

Killing off so many characters in the blink of an eye would be confirmation that 343 has learned nothing about the criticism people give them for haphazardly killing characters off. You just reduce what characters you have to work with and reduce the number of stories you can tell. The Infinity being destroyed is possible, but it's such a predictable move that I wouldn't be shocked if 343 did something different to alter expectations. Mendicant Bias having a presence in the games is also highly unlikely. He's just a character too deeply entrenched in the lore.
Even if Bias shows up, you'd have to explain it through terminals, a Codex entry or through dialogue. How does it go from being on the Ark to back at Zeta Halo. I wonder how 343 will approach this though because they genuinely peaked everyone's interest with the trailer. I wouldn't be surprised if they did kill off some characters. If they do, it'll more than likely be side characters that didn't serve much of a purpose. I do see this being a soft reboot though. I wonder if they'll make the Created or Prometheans the main enemies or will the Banished/Covenant make a return. I don't see Bias getting into the story, let alone being Chief's AI. Maybe we'll see Flood facilities or ancient human settlements.
Axiios wrote:
Even if Bias shows up, you'd have to explain it through terminals, a Codex entry or through dialogue. How does it go from being on the Ark to back at Zeta Halo. I wonder how 343 will approach this though because they genuinely peaked everyone's interest with the trailer. I wouldn't be surprised if they did kill off some characters. If they do, it'll more than likely be side characters that didn't serve much of a purpose. I do see this being a soft reboot though. I wonder if they'll make the Created or Prometheans the main enemies or will the Banished/Covenant make a return. I don't see Bias getting into the story, let alone being Chief's AI. Maybe we'll see Flood facilities or ancient human settlements.
Mendicant's core is still in Zeta Halo. But the AI itself is in the Ark. If anything, some crazy plot twist could happen and then he could appear. But I think it's better if that didn't happen.
Well, In Amber Clad was truly her responsibility, but Forward Unto Dawn really wasn't.

Why do people really want the Infinity to be destroyed? I just don't get it in the slightest.
I actually like the Infinity, it's one of my favorite ships next to the Pillar of Autumn. I highly doubt that Infinity will be destroyed, it would be too soon in my opinion.
buzzsaw135 wrote:

I actually like the Infinity, it's one of my favorite ships next to the Pillar of Autumn. I highly doubt that Infinity will be destroyed, it would be too soon in my opinion.
That makes two of us.
Mendicant has been the subject of speculation for over 10 years now, and at least 3 games. The fact that he wasn't a part of Wars 2 is almost confirmation that he will not reappear- and certainly, that won't happen in Halo Infinite.

The story is complicated enough as it is without once again relying on a character that only EU fans will care about.

Not that I wouldn't like it, but it's quite unlikely at this point.
Mendicant's core is still in Zeta Halo. But the AI itself is in the Ark. If anything, some crazy plot twist could happen and then he could appear. But I think it's better if that didn't happen.
I don't think one can say that MB's "AI"--maybe by that you meant his matrix, or his source code, or something like that--is still on the Ark. The Halo 3 final Legendary terminal makes suggestions that MB died (or at the very least expected to die). A few excerpts of importance:
Quote:
You don't know the contortions I had to go through to follow you here, Reclaimer.
I've always understood this message to mean that MB transferred himself onto Installation 04b itself, after the part of him that hitched a ride on the Keyship recombined with the part that was imprisoned on the Ark.
Quote:
I know what you're here for.
This is MB saying that he knows Chief wants to fire the premature ring.
Quote:
And so here at the end of my life, I do once again betray a former master. The path ahead is fraught with peril. But I will do all I can to keep it stable - keep you safe.
This statement suggests that, knowing the ring would not survive a premature firing, it would result in his destruction as well. But he was willing to make that sacrifice in order to keep it together long enough for the Chief to escape after firing it; I don't think it was just luck that the ring self-destructed in a way that happened to leave a clear path for Chief to use to get back to the Dawn. Also MB could have been the one that kept the control room doors locked closed to keep the Flood out. Perhaps Bungie's thinking was that MB needed to be on the ring itself in order to interface with it's systems effectively; remote access from the Ark may not have been an option.

I always found this train of thought to be quite compelling: MB sacrificing himself to help Chief stop the Flood. A noble gesture that would be lessened if he'd somehow survived. Of course, with MB being an AI, we can't really confirm death like we can with other characters. We can only infer from what we're given in the terminals, which represent the last known instance of his actual presence. But I think my interpretation of his final terminal message is very fitting.
Chimera30 wrote:
I don't think one can say that MB's "AI"--maybe by that you meant his matrix, or his source code, or something like that--is still on the Ark. The Halo 3 final Legendary terminal makes suggestions that MB died (or at the very least expected to die). A few excerpts of importance:
Quote:
You don't know the contortions I had to go through to follow you here, Reclaimer.
I've always understood this message to mean that MB transferred himself onto Installation 04b itself, after the part of him that hitched a ride on the Keyship recombined with the part that was imprisoned on the Ark.
Quote:
I know what you're here for.
This is MB saying that he knows Chief wants to fire the premature ring.
Quote:
And so here at the end of my life, I do once again betray a former master. The path ahead is fraught with peril. But I will do all I can to keep it stable - keep you safe.
This statement suggests that, knowing the ring would not survive a premature firing, it would result in his destruction as well. But he was willing to make that sacrifice in order to keep it together long enough for the Chief to escape after firing it; I don't think it was just luck that the ring self-destructed in a way that happened to leave a clear path for Chief to use to get back to the Dawn. Also MB could have been the one that kept the control room doors locked closed to keep the Flood out. Perhaps Bungie's thinking was that MB needed to be on the ring itself in order to interface with it's systems effectively; remote access from the Ark may not have been an option.

I always found this train of thought to be quite compelling: MB sacrificing himself to help Chief stop the Flood. A noble gesture that would be lessened if he'd somehow survived. Of course, with MB being an AI, we can't really confirm death like we can with other characters. We can only infer from what we're given in the terminals, which represent the last known instance of his actual presence. But I think my interpretation of his final terminal message is very fitting.
It's not too crazy to think he could've survived in some way. We all thought Spark died at the end of 3 but he apparently survived. What's weird is that Bias was buried in some desert in the Ark but was able to access the networks of the terminals (granted that his story was expanded upon after 3). There would have to be some damn loops to jump through for Bias to survive and make it to Zeta Halo 7 years after 04b fired. If he appears, it'll probably be in terminals to explain the history behind Zeta Halo. We'll see what they do but I honestly don't think he'll show up, though I'd love to see Bias physically instead of reading about him.
SBTTLS wrote:
LoxtonA01 wrote:

I believe you quoted the wrong response on this thread. I can only assume that they are going off of the decoded Morse code from the trailer for the SlipSpace engine.
Nope, I meant this BOLD point specifically in his response.
LoxtonA01 wrote:
SBTTLS wrote:
LoxtonA01 wrote:

He just said Halo tho he didn't say installation 07. Cuz it's a Halo in the trailer
LoxtonA01 wrote:
SBTTLS wrote:
LoxtonA01 wrote:

He just said Halo tho he didn't say installation 07. Cuz it's a Halo in the trailer
Good point, I shouldn't specify any of the Halo rings since he didn't. But still begs the question; what evidence do we have that they've crashed down?
The marines popping smoke, the chief out to support/retrieve/recon them or the area or whatever they're carrying could all be for any number of reasons and I can't see any implication of the Infinity, or any other ship, having crashed there.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2