1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
LoxtonA01 wrote:
LoxtonA01 wrote:
SBTTLS wrote:
LoxtonA01 wrote:
How is killing more than half of the newly established characters in one fell swoop just to go for some nostalgia "opening new possibilities"?

There is no justification in the story to do a 1-1 retread of Halo CE, or to try and make the Created arc into the Great War. This is a new part of the story and it must be different. Yes, we'll be on a Halo again. Yes, it appears we'll crash down *que CE vibes*, but killing off the entire crew of the Infinity (including pretty much every character 343i has created for the series) will be entirely counterproductive.

Though to be honest, I also wouldn't be surprised.
Not disputing you or anything, but where do we get the image that it appears we'll crash onto 07?
I believe you quoted the wrong response on this thread. I can only assume that they are going off of the decoded Morse code from the trailer for the SlipSpace engine.
Nope, I meant this BOLD point specifically in his response.
He just said Halo tho he didn't say installation 07. Cuz it's a Halo in the trailer
Good point, I shouldn't specify any of the Halo rings since he didn't. But still begs the question; what evidence do we have that they've crashed down?
The marines popping smoke, the chief out to support/retrieve/recon them or the area or whatever they're carrying could all be for any number of reasons and I can't see any implication of the Infinity, or any other ship, having crashed there.
Well at one part of the trailer the inside of a Pelican is shown, and it seems to be heavily damaged (broken cockpit window frames, loose wires, bent metal, steady beeping). Seems to be crashed although we don't see the outside or a zoom out of a possible crash site. Just bright sunlight filtering through the window.
Chimera30 wrote:
Mendicant's core is still in Zeta Halo. But the AI itself is in the Ark. If anything, some crazy plot twist could happen and then he could appear. But I think it's better if that didn't happen.
I don't think one can say that MB's "AI"--maybe by that you meant his matrix, or his source code, or something like that--is still on the Ark. The Halo 3 final Legendary terminal makes suggestions that MB died (or at the very least expected to die).

I always found this train of thought to be quite compelling: MB sacrificing himself to help Chief stop the Flood. A noble gesture that would be lessened if he'd somehow survived. Of course, with MB being an AI, we can't really confirm death like we can with other characters. We can only infer from what we're given in the terminals, which represent the last known instance of his actual presence. But I think my interpretation of his final terminal message is very fitting.
I'm well aware of it's brief "interaction" with Chief. But whether it died or not, if it's core really is still in Zeta Halo, a possible reactivation could happen. Like, reactivating Mendicant to stop Cortana. Whether it's possible or not, I don't know but I see it's return as a possibility too remote for my expectations for Halo Infinite's story. He lies in the deepest corners of Halo's lore and those that aren't too invested in it might get really confused.
The warthog run in Halo 3 is something I would only believe if it was in movies. Movies basically do everything for the good guys to win and survive. It makes 100% sense that Mendicant did intervene and saved Chief and Arby's life.
LoxtonA01 wrote:
How is killing more than half of the newly established characters in one fell swoop just to go for some nostalgia "opening new possibilities"?

There is no justification in the story to do a 1-1 retread of Halo CE, or to try and make the Created arc into the Great War. This is a new part of the story and it must be different. Yes, we'll be on a Halo again. Yes, it appears we'll crash down *que CE vibes*, but killing off the entire crew of the Infinity (including pretty much every character 343i has created for the series) will be entirely counterproductive.

Though to be honest, I also wouldn't be surprised.
Not disputing you or anything, but where do we get the image that it appears we'll crash onto 07?
It's not confirmed, really. Just the way the marines are limping around, throwing down the orange smoke. Seems very similar to CE's first mission, with Master Chief traveling around the Halo and regrouping with various stranded marines.
Personally to me it looks like Zeta Halo becomes a rally point for UNSC forces. Perhaps a ship arrives that is heavily damaged and evacs all personal to the surface of the Halo before it either crashes or explodes leading to resuce missions by other UNSC forces. What I am trying to say is that the Infinity does not have to be the ship that gets destryoed for the events in the teaser to happen.
True. I never said it was the Infinity. In fact, I really doubt it is.

As I said before, destroying the Infinity along with the characters aboard it would make no sense.
I'm well aware of it's brief "interaction" with Chief. But whether it died or not, if it's core really is still in Zeta Halo, a possible reactivation could happen. Like, reactivating Mendicant to stop Cortana. Whether it's possible or not, I don't know but I see it's return as a possibility too remote for my expectations for Halo Infinite's story. He lies in the deepest corners of Halo's lore and those that aren't too invested in it might get really confused.
The warthog run in Halo 3 is something I would only believe if it was in movies. Movies basically do everything for the good guys to win and survive. It makes 100% sense that Mendicant did intervene and saved Chief and Arby's life.
MB's core amounts to little more than its main housing unit. I don't think a piece of his intelligence is still at the location. The last time the core is mentioned in the lore, it is described as it's data crystals being dark and inactive. Sounds like house with the lights off and nobody home.

It's fiction, so technically anything is possible. It's really a matter of how ridiculous or contrived it would be if it happened. To me, bringing MB would be both. I think, if Zeta Halo ends up being a location in the game, that the extent of MB that we see should be some data logs and his core facility being an easter egg you can find and go into, like Halsey's lab in Halo Reach (aka the Tribute Room).
I don't think it'd work out. The unsc is already in a time where they're not keeping up production wise when it comes to weaponry and the Infinity is probably their most prized possession as its a ship that can fight vs anything the covenant remnant have and I'd say anything the promeathean have barring some secret super ship. Take that ship away and I think it's quite a devastating blow to a faction still trying to hold their ground. Plus I'd find it annoying if they killed off the characters on said ship or had it where they all magically survived.

You destroy the infinity then you lose the most lethal weapon you have and it's not something that can be replaced so easily as it really is a one of a kind ship (the second infinity class ship Eternity tends to give up parts to the infinity whenever it's damaged as it's still an incomplete project anyways). Again, the unsc is having troubles producing weaponry as they're still recovering from the previous war while still having skirmishes with the promeathean and covenant remnants. I think if the infinity goes then the unsc loses a spearhead that really made it easier for them to hit other worlds.
I could see them killing off a few charcters but not laskey and sarah palmer. Blue squad I could see sticking around (in my dreams they play a big part in infinite) and possibly some of fireteam osiris.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2