Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Halo Infinite Ranking system 1-50?

OP Reign of Diven

Will the classic 1-50 competitive ranking system ever return to halo? This was one of the best parts of matchmaking in halo 2 and 3.
Will the classic 1-50 competitive ranking system ever return to halo? This was one of the best parts of matchmaking in halo 2 and 3.
while i loved the H3 ranking system i personally think that the halo reach ranking system was better or at least more enjoyable to level up to, reaching that final rank was amazing.
but seeing either system come back would fill my heart with love
I know a lot of people still remember the 1-50 system fondly, but I honestly don't think it is a good system as of now. One of the reasons is you only have 50 possible ranks to fit your playerbase into, which means that whithin the same rank there's gonna be a lot of differences skill wise. Three players ranked 23 in team slayer for example may differ a lot in skill but be in the same rank due to a lack of better representation. In a system that goes from 1 to 1000 those 3 players could have been ranked 250, 290, 340 which would mean they probably wouldn't even be in the same match. So more possible ranks, more balanced matches, etc.

I'm not sure if I'd like them to take the Halo 3 road and have a unique ranking system, or if they should keep the Halo 5 approach which is very similar to other games (leagues called bronze, silver, etc.). With the first one you'd have something particular that stands out from other games + nostalgia factor. With the second one you'd have a system easy to understand for newer players to the series.
while i loved the H3 ranking system i personally think that the halo reach ranking system was better or at least more enjoyable to level up to, reaching that final rank was amazing.
That was more a level, not a skill ranking. They are different. The former was gained through any activity simply by playing like exp, while the latter is determined by your results in ranked playlists (gain points for a victory, lose them for a loss).
it definitely needs to come back. That's why halo 2 and 3 gained immense replayability! On 1-50 ranks you could be stuck at a rank for a VERY long time cause your not winning enough. On arena ranks. You play good for 10 games, you get put onyx... Definitely not as fun. If they had ranking similar to halo 3 with your baserank being affected by skill rank, people would Devote way to much time getting better so they could attempt to get to the final rank. Way more satisfaction knowing you earned your rank rather than just having played to long.
I prefer a mix of reach and halo 3's rank system.
NAG4SE wrote:
I know a lot of people still remember the 1-50 system fondly, but I honestly don't think it is a good system as of now. One of the reasons is you only have 50 possible ranks to fit your playerbase into, which means that whithin the same rank there's gonna be a lot of differences skill wise. Three players ranked 23 in team slayer for example may differ a lot in skill but be in the same rank due to a lack of better representation. In a system that goes from 1 to 1000 those 3 players could have been ranked 250, 290, 340 which would mean they probably wouldn't even be in the same match. So more possible ranks, more balanced matches, etc.

I'm not sure if I'd like them to take the Halo 3 road and have a unique ranking system, or if they should keep the Halo 5 approach which is very similar to other games (leagues called bronze, silver, etc.). With the first one you'd have something particular that stands out from other games + nostalgia factor. With the second one you'd have a system easy to understand for newer players to the series.
That was more a level, not a skill ranking. They are different. The former was gained through any activity simply by playing like exp, while the latter is determined by your results in ranked playlists (gain points for a victory, lose them for a loss).
I get what you are trying to say with the expanded Ranks ; but the more ranks you have , the higher the population is required to be to make that system viable. If you have less than 1000 players the system becomes unusable because there are not enough players to adequately get a skill spectrum, or more than 1000 players but all of them fall (just to use your example) between 20 - 30 in a normal 1-50 system ; you can see how it becomes ridiculously easy for a good player to climb ranks quickly.

I know this is a very simple way of looking at it , but I know that it would require way more players to make a 1 - 1000 ranking system work properly , than it would to make a 1 - 50 or 100 system work. Just makes sense that you would need a wider range/spectrum of players to fill the the curve so the system could place you properly.