Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

halo infinite wont have real money loot boxes!

OP HaloCrysisKIA88

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
praise the gods this is a step up in the right direction smart move 343!

https://gamingbolt.com/halo-infinite-wont-have-real-money-loot-boxes-343-industries
That's good news..
Ill believe it when the game drops. Does anyone one else remember chief in a cape???........ Great advertising 343. I just don't believe u anymore.
Ill believe it when the game drops. Does anyone one else remember chief in a cape???........ Great advertising 343. I just don't believe u anymore.
That wasn't an ad and it was explained way before Halo 5 was officially announced what it was.
That wasn't an ad and it was explained way before Halo 5 was officially announced what it was.
I still don't believe 343 anymore than I did 5 minutes ago. Nothing u can say will restore any faith in them. Actions speak louder than words.
I still don't believe 343 anymore than I did 5 minutes ago. Nothing u can say will restore any faith in them. Actions speak louder than words.
but this makes sense after the whole debacle with ea and battlefront 2
I ain't no mathematician or nothing, but that there looks like sum double negative to me. I'll tell you wut.
Quote:
Chris Lee, the studio head of FPS at 343 Industries, has clarified that “real-money loot boxes” aren’t not part of the deal. In a recent tweet, Lee said
It does make sense. But 343 does not always do what makes sense like jumping onto the loot box bandwagon in the first place, or using accurate advertising, or releasing a full game with all game modes in the first place, or taking 9month's or so to get griffball, or any of the yoinked moves 343 has made.
I've been saying this since Overwatch got big. If Halo 6 (Infinite) doesn't use an Overwatch type system for unlocking most things in the game I'll be shocked. Things like weapon skins, assassination, emblem's, stances, and a whole host of new things I'm sure. I for one like that type of system much better then REQ packs that Halo 5 has. Especially how 3/4 of the stuff in 5 I don't use because I don't play Warzone. I don't like it as it's doesn't play like Halo at all.

Overwatch has proved that there system works and is widely accepted by people. It will be the type of system that companies will mimic now.
It does make sense. But 343 does not always do what makes sense like jumping onto the loot box bandwagon in the first place, or using accurate advertising, or releasing a full game with all game modes in the first place, or taking 9month's or so to get griffball, or any of the yoinked moves 343 has made.
It might have something to do with Germany "outlawing" loot boxes as a form of gambling, with Australia not far behind.
SBTTLS wrote:
It might have something to do with Germany "outlawing" loot boxes as a form of gambling, with Australia not far behind.
Could very well be. Its not for the good of the community. If 343 can cash grab they certainly will.
That isnʻt a good reason to not like 343i. Did you see Master chief jump into a group of Brutes and wraiths in Halo 3 teaser trailer? That did not happen. But that doesʻnt mean we should hate on Bungie and distrust them for that.
That isnʻt a good reason to not like 343i. Did you see Master chief jump into a group of Brutes and wraiths in Halo 3 teaser trailer? That did not happen. But that doesʻnt mean we should hate on Bungie and distrust them for that.
They have destiny to hate on them for.
This could be a good thing, but it could also be a VERY bad thing. I see this going a multitude of ways. The REQ system in place before was essentially a lot box system because it was a gamble in terms of what you would receive from each pack. Here's are all the different ways I believe they could/would approach this:

1. You gain points in which you spend on packs or hopefully even specific cosmetic items a la Halo Reach. But you won't have the option to spend a cent on REQ packs like you do in Halo 5. (This is the BEST way, but theres NO monetization here.) And it's unlikely this will be realized since Halo Infinite is confirmed to have some sort of monetization or microtransactions.

2. Items come in sort of "content packs" sort of like DLC of old but you dont get maps or anything like that but rather a slew of cosmetic items. These are mostly seen in most free-to-play games though where you're buying to customize a specific hero or character dedicated to so I dont know how well they would thrive here since you're customizing one Spartan so you're going to end up paying more than you would in those games.

3. This is what I'm most afraid about, because it seems most likely to happen. Going the FORTNITE route. Where cosmetics are indeed nonintrusive. But. You'll have to pay a large sum of real money up front to get specifically what you want. Most games like CoD has you spend $5.00 for just one skin and that's alot. Fortnite has you spending upwards of $20.00 for a single skin! And that's absurd! If this happens 343 will drip feed armor (likely a single armor set) to us slowly and for completionists like me, we're left behind. And once they start releasing more and more and more, you're having to spend hundreds of dollars like in the case of Fortnite.

4. Combining 2 and 3. People would say this is the best route to go, have the ability to buy cosmetics as a shortcut to something but always have the option to spend in-game currency that you can earn to buy that thing in specific. What comes with that though is that they can slow or completely break your progression and make you play an absurd amount of hours/days to unlock just one set of armor. More if they split helmets and armor again or even shoulders, legs, ect.

Like I said before, they'll drip feed armor like in Fortnite until theres just way too many things to possibly keep up with and you'll have to cave in and buy stuff. This drip feeding also creates a disconnect because things they release early on will be less cool and will have a lower quality to them than the items later down the line that release when 343 or the team gets more comfortable with releasing stuff. This means that later down the line you will feel like the only time your money is worth it is when the cooler things eventuallt release in like two or three years into the future where theres a thousand dollars worth of microtransactions. Games with these systems have a horrible sense of progression anyways, and certain games will force you to play years in order to unlock everything.

Take For Honor as an example, the DLC is free for the game but without paying money, you're stuck having to grind through a straight month to unlock ONE hero out of half a dozen? That's too much unnecessary work. The rebuttal people usually have is: if you enjoy the game than you'll enjoy the grind. But personally in my experience no matter if I enjoy the game or not that little monetary "goal" is stuck in the back of my mind and I find myself saying; "Am I playing this game because I enjoy it? Or am I playing it because I want to unlock this thing behind a paywall? And what's my goal after I get it? Because is it worth trying to grind for it, everyone else already bought it and looks cool already so if i grind for it the next best thing is already going to be here..." I found myself hating Halo 5 because I would only log in to get my dailies and win packs and quit shortly after until the next day. And it's the same with Fortnite, I only play to fill in the checklist of my battlepass. Theres no sense of accomplishment when the guy over can just buy what I'm working towards and will always be ahead of me because they have expendable cash, or their parents by them these things, or they dont have bills to pay, or work and school to go to.

That's just my two cents on the deal, I obviously have no idea how this is gonna play out. I'm just looking at what's already in place and applying it to Halo Infinite. I'm just being skeptical and paranoid, their word may sound like a step in the right direction but to be honest, the REQ system wasn't all that intrusive in the first place compared to other games out there. Yes it's considered gambling so they are forced to move away from it now. But if they want to step away from this there's a lot of worse avenues to travel down. And looking at Fortnite, it's a money maker and spending $20.00 for Hayabusa or Recon might be our certain future...
Idk if I believe this. Why would they have a job listing that puts a lot of emphasis on engagement, player psychology, micro transactions, and “games as a live service” if it doesn’t have real money loot boxes. Really hope I’m wrong because this crap is a cancer to the gaming industry and I thought Microsoft would’ve gotten the message after the battlefront II debacle and with more countries looking into banning loot boxes outright.
They added in Reqs in Halo 5 to release the DLC for free, and keep the community together. 343i doesn't handle the adviertising, Microsoft does, and there have been numerous leaked reports that Halo 5 was hit hard by tension between executive oversight and the original vision for the game (which wasn't even supposed to be a full game, but a midquel between Halo 4 and 5).

343i isn't is a singular entity that arbitrarily makes decisions, a lot goes on behind the scenes we aren't aware of, and false advertising in particular has nothing to do with the development studio.
I agreed. Chris lee going on twitter could just be him trying to stop a riot in the halo community before it even starts. I’ll believe they’ll be no microtransations when I see it
Ubernubeslayer2 has a point and I was gonna say something along the same lines but shorter.

Basically, all you can take this news for is what it says. What I'm certain this will result in though is microsoft/343 finding an alternative way to monetize and make extra profit from the game. What this will be we still have yet to see and could end up being even worse than the REQ packs we had in Halo 5.
Being certain of this, it really kills any hype I would otherwise have for the game… We'll just have to wait and see what they end up doing..
don't care about your faith, but pancho Chief wasn't an ad.
Ubernubeslayer2 has a point and I was gonna say something along the same lines but shorter.

Basically, all you can take this news for is what it says. What I'm certain this will result in though is microsoft/343 finding an alternative way to monetize and make extra profit from the game. What this will be we still have yet to see and could end up being even worse than the REQ packs we had in Halo 5.
Being certain of this, it really kills any hype I would otherwise have for the game… We'll just have to wait and see what they end up doing..
Warframe is a free game that has microtransactions for every single piece of loot in the game--with the alternative method of acquiring the loot being grinding for mats and then waiting for literally days while it's being constructed--and you have to buy all the cosmetics. Yet the game is worshipped the world over for being one of the best possible microtransaction systems in the industry. The reason for this is simply that everything you're buying--should you choose too--you get as a guarantee. It's not loot boxes, it's an open window store that shows you the item, the stats (if its a weapon/Warframe) and how to acquire it with building materials if you want to opt out of paying for it. The trade off for this is that all of the content updates are free, which is the direction Halo 5 was already heading in--the only difference was Halo 5 had actual loot boxes, albeit ones that were sectioned off into a single tertiary game mode. It was experimental, and was largely inoffensive, but imperfect. Now that we have assurances that Infinite won't have loot boxes (IE random purchases) then the only logical conclusion is that the microtransactions will be more like Warframe's, because it's either loot boxes or not.

Infinite being more of an open world online game was something we all should've seen coming given the trend set by games like Warframe and Destiny. These kinds of games are best supported by some kind of additional monetization system, given the scope of them. But numerous other games have also proven that it can be done fairly. Unless 343i have somehow blinded themselves entirely to the progress made by games like Warframe, Division, and even Destiny in perfecting their content formula, we shouldn't be so pessimistic.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6