Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

halo infinite wont have real money loot boxes!

OP HaloCrysisKIA88

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
Ill believe it when the game drops. Does anyone one else remember chief in a cape???........ Great advertising 343. I just don't believe u anymore.
That wasn't an ad and it was explained way before Halo 5 was officially announced what it was.
I still don't believe 343 anymore than I did 5 minutes ago. Nothing u can say will restore any faith in them. Actions speak louder than words.
Then why are you here? If your faith is gone and their is nothing to restore it, then why would 343 bother. I understand skepticism, but if you have no trust that they will change then why stick around at all? The only reason to do so is to hold on to hope that halo will improve, but the only way it will ever improve is to have faith in 343.
@ROBERTO jh

While I agree with you on Warframes MTs being decently fair. The only reason it really works in Warframe like you said is because it's an open world game with similar mechanics to an MMO. It works there because the contents there to keep people invested. In Halo you're forced to dig yourself into a competitive multiplayer in order to grind for points and that's the bulk of what you're allowed to play in a Halo game. Plus it's easy to exploit and grind for platinum in Warframe anyways so the people don't complain and the devs are kissups to their fanbase that they constantly try not to get on their bad side. (Something I wish 343 would sometimes be like this.) The game has a dedicated fanbase that eats everything up and are always current to what's happening with the game in terms of content, the game has trouble finding newer players because it's just not friendly for newer people. Warframe also falls into the trap for newbies with the fact that the game has a broken sense of progression, you have to play for months on end if you even want to get to the good content. But by that time you get to it, something new is already there and you have to continually grind in a perpetual state of being late. And in that game like I said, the earlier content lacks the polish and shine of later content so theres a disconnect with the content post vanilla. So it's not without its faults. The problem I have with free content is the same reason I have with payed content: someone is gonna be left behind. Though the latter is much better, I'd rather be jealous of someones armor or something than to be split because I didn't buy a map pack. In a game like Warframe or Destiny though, if you start late you're left behind and that's it. It makes you want to pay money to play catchup, that's their hook-line-and-sinker. Different from lootboxes sure, but they can reel you in all the same just from making you feel like you have to catch up.

Plus we don't even know if Infinite is going to be this big open world, MMO, looter-shooter, whatever type game. (If it is, I'm out.) Games like Destiny have perfected their content formula but in a negative way that I hope Halo doesn't adopt. Destiny will force lock players out of content (even old content) if you're not up-to-date with it's expansion offerings. It's too early to compare Halo (a game traditionally with a linear single player campaign and standard-fare multiplayer modes.) To games like the Division or Destiny or Warframe which has content to backup their monetary systems.
Link

This article from April of this year sheds some light on the countries and their concerns over "loot boxes", why they have made it illegal, and to why EA is now under criminal investigation for non-compliance.

This ruling may or may not be why there will be no currency for loot boxes in Infinite.
praise the gods this is a step up in the right direction smart move 343!

https://gamingbolt.com/halo-infinite-wont-have-real-money-loot-boxes-343-industries
There still will be microtransactions though
@ROBERTO jh

While I agree with you on Warframes MTs being decently fair. The only reason it really works in Warframe like you said is because it's an open world game with similar mechanics to an MMO. It works there because the contents there to keep people invested. In Halo you're forced to dig yourself into a competitive multiplayer in order to grind for points and that's the bulk of what you're allowed to play in a Halo game. Plus it's easy to exploit and grind for platinum in Warframe anyways so the people don't complain and the devs are kissups to their fanbase that they constantly try not to get on their bad side. (Something I wish 343 would sometimes be like this.) The game has a dedicated fanbase that eats everything up and are always current to what's happening with the game in terms of content, the game has trouble finding newer players because it's just not friendly for newer people. Warframe also falls into the trap for newbies with the fact that the game has a broken sense of progression, you have to play for months on end if you even want to get to the good content. But by that time you get to it, something new is already there and you have to continually grind in a perpetual state of being late. And in that game like I said, the earlier content lacks the polish and shine of later content so theres a disconnect with the content post vanilla. So it's not without its faults. The problem I have with free content is the same reason I have with payed content: someone is gonna be left behind. Though the latter is much better, I'd rather be jealous of someones armor or something than to be split because I didn't buy a map pack. In a game like Warframe or Destiny though, if you start late you're left behind and that's it. It makes you want to pay money to play catchup, that's their hook-line-and-sinker. Different from lootboxes sure, but they can reel you in all the same just from making you feel like you have to catch up.

Plus we don't even know if Infinite is going to be this big open world, MMO, looter-shooter, whatever type game. (If it is, I'm out.) Games like Destiny have perfected their content formula but in a negative way that I hope Halo doesn't adopt. Destiny will force lock players out of content (even old content) if you're not up-to-date with it's expansion offerings. It's too early to compare Halo (a game traditionally with a linear single player campaign and standard-fare multiplayer modes.) To games like the Division or Destiny or Warframe which has content to backup their monetary systems.
That's the sole reason I'm concerned for Halo: Infinite
Sure, it won't have lootboxes due to the entire world breathing down the gaming industry's necks about it, but I'm positive the developers will find/utilise/develop an equally scummy and shamelessly anti-consumer method of extracting money from the player base.
Developers don't need microtransactions to cover the cost of developing games. The only reason they would need it is to meet some lofty sales expectation set by the publisher, which is to ensure that their shareholders remain pleased while lining their own pockets at the same time.
I predict that Infinite will most likely use a credit-based progression system similar to Reach's (the epitome of player progression done right), though the credits would probably act as a premium currency; like in Reach, you'd be rewarded with them for performing acts of player progression, but the amounts given would be *just* paltry enough to encourage you into drop a bit of extra dosh on a credit booster pack (or two... hundred).
Here's my point of view. I have ZERO problems with microtransactions, even in full priced games provided they are YGWYPF and it's post launch content that clearly wasn't removed for monetization purposes. Want to charge 99 cents for each and every armor variant? Go for it! I won't buy all, but maybe if there is one that looks awesome, I will.
The moment you have the possibility to pay for something with a chance at something you want through RNG though, especially a possbile gameplay advantage, IMO, that needs to GTHO of the gaming industry, because it's taking advantage of people that either don't understand what they are doing (like children) or have poor impulse control (like addicts) and you don't need a psychologist to tell me that loot boxes have the same psychological triggers and effects as gambling.
It's why I have never paid a single cent for REQ packs and never will, it's disgusting and it applies to other MS franchises like Gears of War as well.
If MS continues to pursue this trajectory for their games, I will have no trouble abandoning them, even with over 1000 games on my account. It needs to stop, NOW!
Xbox, contrary to what Aaron Greenberg would portray, is a sinking ship among hardcore gamers because it has very poor first party investment, meaning the platform is losing its identity and this would simply be the straw that breaks the camel's back if the last worthwile franchises on the platform turn out like this.
Here's the problem, the moment MS doesn't have an instant hit on its hands when they are LTTP for something new, instead of making their own software solutions, they abandon it and that is why Microsoft's respect among consumers has been dwindling over time. So Satya Nadella can be proud of himself making more money than ever before outside the consumer space, if he abandons Xbox, like he did Windows Mobile, then MS will slide into oblivion among consumers because gaming is the only thing keeping the Windows platform relevant and the Steam platform has, like many other businesses, already made great strides to stab MS in the back and move over to Linux, so putting your games on Steam only weakens your position in the long run. Taking back a piece of that market share pie under the Xbox brand, is crucial!
You have a chance to do the right thing here 343 and MS in general, if you mess this up there is a chance that this will have a snowball effect of the hardcore gamers abandoning the platform and I can guarantee you, I'm not the only one that thinks this way.
Ill believe it when the game drops. Does anyone one else remember chief in a cape???........ Great advertising 343. I just don't believe u anymore.
That wasn't an ad and it was explained way before Halo 5 was officially announced what it was.
I still don't believe 343 anymore than I did 5 minutes ago. Nothing u can say will restore any faith in them. Actions speak louder than words.
but this makes sense after the whole debacle with ea and battlefront 2
...not to mention half Europe trying to declare RNG loot-boxes to be gambling. Rightfully so I might ad.

Still, not having paid loot-boxes is already a huge step in the right direction. It doesn't confirm that the in-game unlock system won't be another grind fest though. Not to mention the job listing of a few months back as well the more recent one of last week at 343i and MS more or less confirms the use of microtransactions as well as Hi being another "game as a service". In other words stuff will be hidden behind a pay-wall again and without LIVE account most probably you'll get anything worthwhile either. We got to wait and see how the system works of course, not to mention pricing and overall content at launch, but my mistrust towards Hi is growing once more. I only can hope to be wrong! :/
...not to mention half Europe trying to declare RNG loot-boxes to be gambling. Rightfully so I might ad.

Still, not having paid loot-boxes is already a huge step in the right direction. It doesn't confirm that the in-game unlock system won't be another grind fest though. Not to mention the job listing of a few months back as well the more recent one of last week at 343i and MS more or less confirms the use of microtransactions as well as Hi being another "game as a service". In other words stuff will be hidden behind a pay-wall again and without LIVE account most probably you'll get anything worthwhile either. We got to wait and see how the system works of course, not to mention pricing and overall content at launch, but my mistrust towards Hi is growing once more. I only can hope to be wrong! :/
Totally agree, the games as a service info was a bit of shock if I'm being honest, it will possibly mean an online only game with pay-walled content. I think Destiny and I shudder at the thought of Halo going down that shameless cash grab route. I hope I'm wrong too, but my hope for Halo Infinite has hit rock bottom.
eviltedi wrote:

Totally agree, the games as a service info was a bit of shock if I'm being honest, it will possibly mean an online only game with pay-walled content. I think Destiny and I shudder at the thought of Halo going down that shameless cash grab route. I hope I'm wrong too, but my hope for Halo Infinite has hit rock bottom.
"but my hope for Halo Infinite has hit rock bottom". Then leave.
@ROBERTO jh

Warframe is not and open world game. It has one open world type of level called The Plains of Eidolon. However the rest of the game is not. The DLC works in Warframe because it free to play, and the content except vaulted items can be accessed through playing, or buying some of it without rng risk, or trading with other players, even vaulted gear can be traded for.

Halo also has a dedicated fanbase that will buy it because it's Halo. It's not fair to tarnish just Warframe players with that brush imo. Warframe is hard to get into, but you don't have to play for months to get anywhere, you can simply put a message in recruitment chat and get help, I have carried many players through harder levels to get better gear.

All Warframe content is free, no one gets left behind, as I stated you can get help. I ran a few Hydron runs for some newbies last weekend, they had three forma god tier Warframes in a matter of hours. As for Halo Infinite ? Not having real money loot crates is great, it's what they're advertising for that has some players worried.
Well with the change of opinion on Micotransactions and loot boxes recently, with the new signing of looking into LB being gambling within the EU , with EA being sued for not taking LB out of there fifa games in the EU , things are a changing. So this is probably not being done because MS love us, but more because they can see whats coming down the road and by the time Halo Infinite comes out games with MT might have huge restrictions or flat out bans in alot if not all of the EU and soon US. So there just getting ready for that.
I'm glad there will be no lootboxes, but unfortunately this doesn't rule out other forms of micro transactions. I hope that we will see a return of the Reach credit system with no real money involved at all, but I'm not going to hold my breath
I'm glad there will be no lootboxes, but unfortunately this doesn't rule out other forms of micro transactions. I hope that we will see a return of the Reach credit system with no real money involved at all, but I'm not going to hold my breath
Correct, we don’t know if their new form of microtransactions are actually worse/better for the game as a whole. I’m going to try to stay optimistic and hope that this new system is an improvement off of halo 5s REQ system.
"Will not include real money loot boxes"
How about no loot boxes, period!
When I see this, all I can think of is a combination of Reach's and Guardian's unlock system.
By playing I feel we'll accumulate a currency like Credits in Reach, then use the cR toward "Loot boxes" "Requisition Packs" whatever you want to call them.
So in the end it will still be random...but instead of paying real money for a random set of unlocks, we'll now have to play (X) amount of games to accumulate enough cR to "buy" Req packs which is a set of random unlocks.
So at the end of the day it's still random. I play dozens of games, accumulated thousands of cR to buy a gold pack let's say, and I still only have a chance to get the armor I want.
Back in Halo 3, I knew the achievements I needed to unlock armor. In Reach, I knew it would be a grind to unlock Security. But at least I knew what I was getting.
in the articel (and everywhere else i read about it) it is stated, that you won't be able to buy lootboxes with real world money. that can mean that there are lootboxes buyable with ingame gold/crystals/whatever. and these things may be buyable with real world money.

it sets a lot of alarms of if you look at the recent open job description. it's not: someone who knows how to make a good game, it's: someone who knows how to milk money from players and keep them spending money.

overall i think we don't know much about the monetisation except that they have job openings for creating MTs.
judging from the behavior of the game industry the last few years and also from M$, i think there will be a lot of MTs in the game. (a reason not to buy, or buying used)
lol. that means that theres normal lootboxes which are still awful. Then any form of microtransactions are terrible for the game but since 343 knows they arent going to make a good game, they cant expect to have paid dlc like when halo was really good and people would buy it LOL
ROBERTO jh wrote:
It does make sense. But 343 does not always do what makes sense like jumping onto the loot box bandwagon in the first place, or using accurate advertising, or releasing a full game with all game modes in the first place, or taking 9month's or so to get griffball, or any of the yoinked moves 343 has made.
They added in Reqs in Halo 5 to release the DLC for free, and keep the community together. 343i doesn't handle the adviertising, Microsoft does, and there have been numerous leaked reports that Halo 5 was hit hard by tension between executive oversight and the original vision for the game (which wasn't even supposed to be a full game, but a midquel between Halo 4 and 5).

343i isn't is a singular entity that arbitrarily makes decisions, a lot goes on behind the scenes we aren't aware of, and false advertising in particular has nothing to do with the development studio.
And should any of those issues be allowed affect me as a consumer?
maxammo365 wrote:
Such an useless response. He lost hope (so did I frankly), that doesn't mean he can't add to the discussion or that he isn't still a Halo fan. Being a fan doesn't mean to be 100% loyal and to the brand without regards, being skeptical is a good thing. Especially if you are a fan and know the product well! Adding constructive criticism and speaking out about our concerns is the best thing you could do to improve Hi. What you did on the other hand was less than nothing.
maxammo365 wrote:
Such an useless response. He lost hope (so did I frankly), that doesn't mean he can't add to the discussion or that he isn't still a Halo fan. Being a fan doesn't mean to be 100% loyal and to the brand without regards, being skeptical is a good thing. Especially if you are a fan and know the product well! Adding constructive criticism and speaking out about our concerns is the best thing you could do to improve Hi. What you did on the other hand was less than nothing.
If i did something, then how can it be less than nothing? something>nothing. and constructive criticism is good, but constant complaining and saying you "lost all hope" is not helping and it actually very annoying. If you have lost ALL hope then you honestly shouldn't be here. You've lost ALL HOPE. I think, frankly, that everyone who says that is exaggerating. I agree, voice your opinion if you want change. Just don't annoy the rest of us.
Halo Infinite will probably have some garbage Fortnite style progression with virtual currencies in a full priced game.

-Yoink- man, you’d think Microsoft would treat the few remaining fans with some respect considering we’ve been so active in the Waypoint forums advising against this exploitative -Yoink-.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6