Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Halo infinites Friend or foe system

OP Raw Geansai

Hi all,

Just want to talk about Halo infinites new system they have shown for the game.
Friend or Foe system.

Basically your teammates are highlighted in blue and your enemys are highlighted in red.

Just want to chat about my concerns and feedback on what this may be like in halo infinite.

So no more Red vs Blue and to be honest I'd miss the days but I have generally thought about having the option to have your own custom colours when palying. In Halo Reach invasion gametype it was Spartan vs Elites, Green vs Purple. I always wondered why have the two teams set to green and purple its not like its hard to tell who the enemys are really. With Reach as well you spend so much time making your character look the way you like and when you play you'd loose your colours and donned the classic red or blue. This was ok'ish because Halo Reachs UI system was great and able to see your team in the menu before you play and look at all the different players customizations and colours. Im ok for it as to halo infinite but with this little tool how much will it affect gameplay. Ive played games like this where your enemys are highlighted red (destiny being a good comparison) but you wouldnt have to ability to see your team full body outlines all the time this concerns me.

My concerns.

So the idea of always able to see your teammates through walls and floors at all times during the match with a full body outlines and having enemies highlighted very brightly neon red outlines is a real concer to me and how such a small tool can be over powered.

Ive played a lot of Halo over the years in my life and know whats it like to feel overwhelmed and unfair palying games where the other team has the upper hand and the frustration of being "Spawned trapped"

Lets talk about just your teammates.

In most of the Halo games your teammates had blue markers above their heads (Quick note in halo 2 your team had their halo emblem above their heads which I thought was great. Kinda feels like the halo emblem is redundant at this point) so you could tell where your teammates were on the map and that was fine to me. Having a full body outline to me is way over powered. Not only can you see your teammates but also which way they're facing if they're shooting or running away. So for someone new to the game this would help out greatly but for someone like me who has played a lot of halo I could easily look at where my teammates are and which way there facing and know straight away where the enemy is just by looking at my team through the walls.

Imagine playing a halo map you know so well and you can see your teammates body outline not just a marker. I know teams would be spawn trapped way too easily. I mean if you know and play halo like me for years you can get a sense of gameplay where enemys, weapons and vehicles are and when. Having this sense highlighted for you dumbs down the experience playing the game. How can you learn if the answer is there for you. Hopefully it wont be too strong of a tool but if jts the case of always seeing your team and no matter how far away you could pin point where enemys are and this will break and slow down gameplay.

Lets talk about enemys

So your enemys will be highlighted in red. It looks ok from the trailer 343 put out but this still concerns me. If i have my team that are highlighted and have markers above there head indicating that they are on my team...why do i have to have my enemys highlighted too. I mean I could tell that an enemy are the ones who do not have a marker above there head or if i put my weapons reticule on them it turns red that itself tells me there the enemy. Having them being highlighted in bright neon red outlines is overkill. At one point as I was watching the gameplay trailer i swear it must be my trainned eyes playing halo. At one point I saw an enemy he was behind two crates and over in a shadowed area and all saw was there shoulder and one foot....but because it was highlighted neon red I spotted him. Now the question could i shoot him...meh im average at best :D but the point is he stood out a mile for me. If he wasnt highlighted there would be no way I would of noticed him. In the video Halo infinite | Multiplayer Overview at about 8:22mins in have a look and see if ya can see him its just before it cuts from gameplay to a screenshot of the new spartans. Its quick but you can see parts of highlighted enemys moving behind crates. when you do see them after that you can see them again and easily. So imagine how easy it gonna be to see your enemy. 343 worked so long and hard on map designs and we could have cool looking maps with shandows and weather and maybe even night and day cycles. Id hate that a simple little tool would make all that work seem underwhelming when you can spot a neon red enemy in the shadows or at night and so easily too.

What I would like for the friend and foe system.

Your team will have a marker above there heads maybe even there name or serial number or better yet there emblem. No body outlines and this for me would be fair even if all you can see through walls and the map is a marker no more info from that. Your enemys could still be highlighted red but only at close combat. From a distance if they dont have a team marker above their head then its clear to see that they're an enemy.

I know 343 are putting a lot of work into infinite and with every new game is new players but you cant hold everyone by the hand and make the learning curve non existing. Some mechanics can be game breaking. Halo 4 is a good point of view. Ordnance drops broke gameplay by giving teams power weapons too easily and we all remember playing halo 4 where the first 3 mins of gameplay would be fun but after the Ordnance drops the gameplay turned into being pinned downed because the other team had 4 snipers and then you would get spawn trapped. Even the weapon loadouts was too over powered. Having to spawn with a mini shotgun in your pocket was OP but what really got me was so gameplay breaking! was the option to spawn in with a plasma pistol and sticky grenades because of this all vehicles were redundant. No one used vehicles because of this and gameplay was people picking people of from a distance the whole match.

I hope I pointed out some aspects people never thought of and im not trying to be angrily ranting about halo infinite, im just concerned and want it to be fun. Its just my thoughts and opinion if you agree and like to add to anything or be mad and accuse me of something terrible honestly ill just be glad that at least my little post caught some attention.
It's going to be fully customisable.

Colours at least. Probably brightness and thickness.

I imagine you'll be able to turn friends of if you want.

You'll find something that suits.
Marking specific enemies? Gears 5 already has this. No one uses it.
When it comes to knowing where your friends are and what they're doing... is it really such a big deal to know what direction they're facing or if theyt're crouched or standing? We already knew when they were taking damage or shooting by color changes on the old IFF.

Starting to sigh at the sight of the word "concern". Chill, bro. Give the game a try first.
FTC Anvil wrote:
When it comes to knowing where your friends are and what they're doing... is it really such a big deal to know what direction they're facing or if theyt're crouched or standing? We already knew when they were taking damage or shooting by color changes on the old IFF.

Starting to sigh at the sight of the word "concern". Chill, bro. Give the game a try first.
It's a monitor asking soft infinite questions under a second account. 343 doesn't respect their own. They think we need a mark system.
I'm going to be honest, I think we should actually play with a feature before we ask for it to be changed. None of us know how it will work in practice.
Blue For Friendly Red For Foe
Darwi wrote:

The thing about that is you are putting yourself at a disadvantage by making yours less thick or bright than someone else'
TyAGuy wrote:
Darwi wrote:

The thing about that is you are putting yourself at a disadvantage by making yours less thick or bright than someone else'
That's not even a confirmed customizable option. All we know of so far is you can customize colors.

I'll reiterate, we should see the feature in action before we request changes.
Just curious why is the enemy red? I've had many blue teams that were my enemy.
iseeOwls wrote:
Easier to see
TyAGuy wrote:
Darwi wrote:

That's not even a confirmed customizable option. All we know of so far is you can customize colors.

I'll reiterate, we should see the feature in action before we request changes.
I only meant that if you can customize brightness/thickness, but yeah we shouldn't form any big opinions on a system we haven't even gotten to play around with yet.
iseeOwls wrote:
Easier to see
Just curious why you thought red was the eternal enemy. In any case if you boil it down no one cares besides what side they started on. They will defend their side.
iseeOwls wrote:
iseeOwls wrote:
Easier to see
Just curious why you thought red was the eternal enemy. In any case if you boil it down no one cares besides what side they started on. They will defend their side.
red on the hud usually indicates enemy, not the armor color. Red is an aggressive color, is why.