Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Halo: Sprint Evolved?

OP Helljvmper

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
I know sprint is a controversial topic but can we both come to a sort of middle ground? Hear me out on this idea.

Setting Up Base Gameplay
So first, let’s apply a faster base movement speed and an appropriate fov. I think we can all agree that these changes help both gameplay speed and the presentation of that speed (ie. you are running like a spartan and *feel* like it unlike Halo 3). However can we find a way to fit sprint in? Can it exist just as it is currently or can we make adjustments to make it more of a tactical ability rather than a necessity?

Sprint
Let’s think about Halo 5’s thrusters. They’re very useful for short, tactical changes in movement. They almost are a form of mini sprint-like action. So let’s introduce this concept into our base gameplay and entertain 2 directions to possibly go in.
1) Simply add thrusters to classic movement. This allows for the constant weapon readiness that many like plus a slight increase in mobility for those thirsting for a bit more speed/momentum.
2) Replace the thruster with a quick “lunge” type action. Almost like spartan charge, but without the melee effect. This option would work similar to option 1, however it is even further scaled back as it wouldn’t make sense to “sprint” sideways or backwards like the effects of a thruster.

Personal Thoughts
I enjoy every Halo game. I personally had a blast with Halo 5, though it’s true the gameplay style doesn’t give me the same feeling that I got from CE-Reach. I do think that the thrusters are an interesting concept that I feel can move to replace sprint altogether when the changes I’ve listed are implemented. It would still give a similar feel to Halo 5, however I think it would feel even more similar to classic movement. So we can either think of it like classic with a touch more mobility, or a more grounded enhanced mobility.

Please do let me know any thoughts on what you think. Hell, even tell me if I’m being naive on the issue and this suggestion is impossible (I’m far from a professional game developer). Either way, have a good one and thanks for reading, friend.

Edit:
I made this post while bored in class and didn’t expect it to blow up a bit as it has. There’s a lot of great perspectives here and I appreciate all the engagement.

I do want to throw in another idea for the hell of it however. I feel like sprint in Reach was a good tactical ability as it was limited and you could even see how much “stamina” you had left. I think infinite can reasonably go back to this system and explain it away that GEN 3 is a more heavy duty system similar to GEN 1, thus its sprint capacity has been limited again. GEN 2 could handle unlimited sprint for its streamlined and lighter build.

Any thoughts on this?
No thrusters please, I’d prefer to have Sprimt & base movement in Infinite, Spartan Abilities I don’t find them enjoyable at all
I don't want actual sprint so I would like the bump to base movement speed, doesn't need to be crazy though.

I'd like an FOV slider instead of a set one everyone has to use. Games like DOOM, SoT, and Apex have done it on console why can't Halo.

Thrusters I really like. I know some people think of them as nooby but I just think it's plain fun and adds flare to mobility.
I don't want actual sprint so I would like the bump to base movement speed, doesn't need to be crazy though. I'd like an FOV slider instead of a set one everyone has to use, games like DOOM, SoT, and Apex have done it on console why can't Halo.

Thrusters I really like. I know some people think of them as nooby but I just think it's plain fun and adds flare to mobility.
I’m there with you. That’s why I think if they really were set on an ability that affects movement, they can use a dash or thrust to replace sprint. Preferably though, they’d take it out and increase base speed
As long as there are some options/playlists with traditional game mechanics (no abilities), I'll be happy. Just because the game has sprint doesn't mean a player will be forced to use it.
Id want at the least to have sprint be a burst like in halo reach or a stamina bar where for a moment you run at full speed but can get gassed out where you have slightly higher movement speed than base speed but you are not going your full speed because of low stamina. No infinite sprint basically.
Id want at the least to have sprint be a burst like in halo reach or a stamina bar where for a moment you run at full speed but can get gassed out where you have slightly higher movement speed than base speed but you are not going your full speed because of low stamina. No infinite sprint basically.
My issue with that system is that I find it incredibly annoying. You end up paying to much attention to your sprint meter. I always thought of you that system as the movement equivalent of invisible walls.
I appreciate your attitude in trying to find common ground on this issue, and I'll clarify up front that I'm not a zealous promotor of one Halo meta/sandbox over the other (I do prefer the classic pacing and balance overall, but I can see the appeal in a lot of the newer mechanics).

I don't think there's really a middle ground that will satisfy both sides of this argument, though. To the Classic Crowd, the reduction of enhanced mobility to less enhanced mobility won't likley seem like much of an olive branch, since it won't really restore what it is that they miss about Classic Halo's pacing and traversal. To the fans of Spartan Abilities and Sprint, reducing those features will likely just feel like a reduction in the features they want to see more of; I very much doubt that many of these diehards are at all interested in compromising with the Classic crowd (judging based on the ones here on the forums, they're just flat out tired of having to constantly hear about how the old style is better than the new.)

I don't see a good solution to this issue that makes us all happy. Unfortunately, I think 343i is going to have to stick to one lane or the other and just focus on getting one of the two sensibilities right in a big way. Halo 5's Spartan Abilities were designed to be a compromise between players who hated Armor Abilities from Reach and 4 and fans of them, and I think it's pretty clear just based on how often these topics come up on the forums that it didn't accomplish this intention to a very high degree.
I think thrusters should be removed, even though they are useful - they are a crutch in a standoff. I miss the old school throw-downs.

But sprint (possibly infinite duration) should be included for two reasons:

1.) Sprint is standard is for any good shooter now and has been for years. I personally like it, and it would feel like a step backward to get rid of it now since H4/H5 had it. Sprint and clambering in H5 made me feel like I was really playing as the Spartans with abilities like you read about in the books.

2.) Because Canon: Spartans are extremely strong and fast with unmatched stamina. On top of this, they have powered suits that add assistance to every movement. They should be able to sprint for VERY long distances, even without the armor.
i wouldn't mind seeing limited sprint like in 4, with the no shield recharge from 5.
uhblindkid wrote:
I think thrusters should be removed, even though they are useful - they are a crutch in a standoff. I miss the old school throw-downs.

But sprint (possibly infinite duration) should be included for two reasons:

1.) Sprint is standard is for any good shooter now and has been for years. I personally like it, and it would feel like a step backward to get rid of it now since H4/H5 had it. Sprint and clambering in H5 made me feel like I was really playing as the Spartans with abilities like you read about in the books.

2.) Because Canon: Spartans are extremely strong and fast with unmatched stamina. On top of this, they have powered suits that add assistance to every movement. They should be able to sprint for VERY long distances, even without the armor.
I respect your opinion but have to disagree with a lot of what you're saying. In response to thrusters being a crutch, A lot of people say Sprint is a crutch in general. It allows the player to escape extremely easily.

In response to your 1. I disagree here. Overwatch is and has been one of the most popular FPS's since it's release. Save for two characters, There is no sprint animation in the game. It is also considered to be one of the most competitive FPS out there. I've said this a thousand times as have many other people, As long as the game is fun, The majority of people don't care if the sprint animation is in a game or not.

In response to 2. Again disagree. As much as I like things to be canon, Canon should never come before gameplay. Keeping the sprint animation for this reason is not a good reason. Why can't my Spartan lie down, jump off walls, shoot enemies while hanging upside down, jump off enemies, swim, and so forth. If this kind of stuff was added into Halo, Halo would be drastically changed. Not to take a shot at 343 here but in my opinion as much as they say they care about canon they have shown that when it suits them they are more than willing to change it aka ADS style zooming instead of the classic smart scope which people that know canon way better than I will tell you that the ADS style zooming brakes canon.

To the OP, Helljvmper, I have to agree quite a bit with Superman Kenobi here. Personally I don't think it matters what 343 do there will be a crowd that definitely feels alienated. I've been saying for a while now that the best thing 343I could do in my opinion is just pick a style and go with it. If it does poorly then go to the other style and see how it does. Be upfront with people early on what style your game is so people can decide to either move on or not.

Personally, I think the best (I use this loosely) middle ground 343I could do is remove the sprint animation, up the base movement speed, optimize the FOV, Have speed boost as maps pickups on maps like OS, invis. Etc. Keep thrusters, have either a double jump that's tied in with thrusters or the clamber ability, bring back equipment and do it like how Halo 3 did it, remove ADS style zooming and bring back the old style with upgraded graphics. That's what I think they should do, not necessarily everything I would do.

Halo 3 showed that even though there was a decent amount of people that didn't like equipment they could tolerate it because of how it was implemented. Halo Reach and Halo 4 showed that the majority of people don't want unlimited use AA powers with loadouts. If AA's were implemented like equipment in Halo 3 or the MLG Reach playlist, I think things might have been different with AAs.
We don't need to replace sprint with anything. We need to remove sprint entirely and be done with it. It doesn't need tweaked, re-balanced, or re-worked. It needs ripped out of the game, root and stem.

Tweaking thrusters to act as a replacement for sprint doesn't solve the problems sprint introduces.
I appreciate your attitude in trying to find common ground on this issue, and I'll clarify up front that I'm not a zealous promotor of one Halo meta/sandbox over the other (I do prefer the classic pacing and balance overall, but I can see the appeal in a lot of the newer mechanics).

I don't think there's really a middle ground that will satisfy both sides of this argument, though. To the Classic Crowd, the reduction of enhanced mobility to less enhanced mobility won't likley seem like much of an olive branch, since it won't really restore what it is that they miss about Classic Halo's pacing and traversal. To the fans of Spartan Abilities and Sprint, reducing those features will likely just feel like a reduction in the features they want to see more of; I very much doubt that many of these diehards are at all interested in compromising with the Classic crowd (judging based on the ones here on the forums, they're just flat out tired of having to constantly hear about how the old style is better than the new.)

I don't see a good solution to this issue that makes us all happy. Unfortunately, I think 343i is going to have to stick to one lane or the other and just focus on getting one of the two sensibilities right in a big way. Halo 5's Spartan Abilities were designed to be a compromise between players who hated Armor Abilities from Reach and 4 and fans of them, and I think it's pretty clear just based on how often these topics come up on the forums that it didn't accomplish this intention to a very high degree.
Looks like you and I are pretty much on the same page here. I thought of this idea the other day and figured I hadn’t seen this discussed before so might as well post it for some feedback. I agree that it will most likely be either one or the other, though I thought maybe they could squeeze a little bit of one into the other and maybe it would work. For me, I’ll be losing my life playing the game no matter which system but I would prefer a return to form overall
uhblindkid wrote:
I think thrusters should be removed, even though they are useful - they are a crutch in a standoff. I miss the old school throw-downs.

But sprint (possibly infinite duration) should be included for two reasons:

1.) Sprint is standard is for any good shooter now and has been for years. I personally like it, and it would feel like a step backward to get rid of it now since H4/H5 had it. Sprint and clambering in H5 made me feel like I was really playing as the Spartans with abilities like you read about in the books.

2.) Because Canon: Spartans are extremely strong and fast with unmatched stamina. On top of this, they have powered suits that add assistance to every movement. They should be able to sprint for VERY long distances, even without the armor.
I respect your opinion but have to disagree with a lot of what you're saying. In response to thrusters being a crutch, A lot of people say Sprint is a crutch in general. It allows the player to escape extremely easily.

In response to your 1. I disagree here. Overwatch is and has been one of the most popular FPS's since it's release. Save for two characters, There is no sprint animation in the game. It is also considered to be one of the most competitive FPS out there. I've said this a thousand times as have many other people, As long as the game is fun, The majority of people don't care if the sprint animation is in a game or not.

In response to 2. Again disagree. As much as I like things to be canon, Canon should never come before gameplay. Keeping the sprint animation for this reason is not a good reason. Why can't my Spartan lie down, jump off walls, shoot enemies while hanging upside down, jump off enemies, swim, and so forth. If this kind of stuff was added into Halo,Halo would be drastically changed. Not to take a shot at 343 here but in my opinion as much as they say they care about Canon they have shown that when it suits them they are more than willing to change it aka ADS style zooming instead of the classic smart scope which people that know vanon way better than I will tell you that the ADS style zooming brakes cannon.

To the OP, Helljvmper, I have to agree quite a bit with Superman Kenobi here. Personally I don't think it matters what 343 do there will be a crowd that definitely feels alienated. I've been saying for a while now that the best thing 343I could do in my opinion is just pick a style and go with it. If it does poorly then go to the other style and see how it does. Be upfront with people early on what style your game is so people can decide to either move on or not.

Personally, I think the best (I use this loosely) middle ground 343I could do is remove the sprint animation, up the base movement speed, optimize the FOV, Have speed boost as maps pickups on maps like OS, invis. Etc. Keep thrusters, have either a double jump that's tied in with thrusters or the clamber ability, bring back equipment and do it like how Halo 3 did it, remove ADS style zooming and bring back the old style with upgraded graphics. That's what I think they should do, not necessarily everything I would do.

Halo 3 showed that even though there was a decent amount of people that didn't like equipment they could tolerate it because of how it was implemented. Halo Reach and Halo 4 showed that the majority of people don't want unlimited use AA powers with loadouts. If AA's were implemented like equipment in Halo 3 or the MLG Reach playlist, I think things might have been different with AAs.
I’d have to agree with you here. Good points man. Just brainstorming here, but do you think an option for viewing zoom as ADS or classic would work? (Assuming they remove some weapon’s ADS so the two would be compatible for such a feature)
As long as there are some options/playlists with traditional game mechanics (no abilities), I'll be happy. Just because the game has sprint doesn't mean a player will be forced to use it.
I want to say this is the answer, but judging from H5, I don’t think it really would be. Don’t get me wrong I love the H3 throwback playlist, but it’s really limited to just that game mode and those maps. I wouldn’t want them to make maps/modes tailored to both gameplays either (consistently that is), as that would be essentially developing two games at the same time under the same name. “Don’t half -Yoink- two things, whole -Yoink- one thing”
uhblindkid wrote:
I think thrusters should be removed, even though they are useful - they are a crutch in a standoff. I miss the old school throw-downs.

But sprint (possibly infinite duration) should be included for two reasons:

1.) Sprint is standard is for any good shooter now and has been for years. I personally like it, and it would feel like a step backward to get rid of it now since H4/H5 had it. Sprint and clambering in H5 made me feel like I was really playing as the Spartans with abilities like you read about in the books.

2.) Because Canon: Spartans are extremely strong and fast with unmatched stamina. On top of this, they have powered suits that add assistance to every movement. They should be able to sprint for VERY long distances, even without the armor.
1) Every shooter with low TTKs, yes. Like R6Siege and pretty much every other militaristic FPS out there. Halo is NOT a shooter with low TTKs however, so what are we talking about? Do you really think games like DOOM, Overwatch, CS or Team Fortress would be better with such an out-of-place mechanic? If the answer is no, why is Halo the exception in your opinion?

2) Well, I'm really not the kind of guy that would ever put canon or realism over game mechanics, but sure! Let's talk canon! Why is it that Spartans could reach their max speed and still shoot with perfect precision LIKE IN THE BOOKS and now they can't? Spartans now have to lower their guns and are even heavily limited in their strafe capabilities while doing so. That's a soldier in a suit, not a Spartan imho!

Sorry, maybe I'm the weird guy here, but I never understood that argument to begin with... because I never felt less like a Spartan since they introduced sprint and lowered guns to the base mix. The other advanced movement mechanics I kinda get, but how is a limitation a super soldier thing?! 😶

EDIT: I'm sorry, wrote the post down without reloading the page so I didn't noticed how all my points had been written down already. Now my post is just redundant! 😅
Can someone remind me why people actually want to see Sprint in a Halo game.
Helljvmper wrote:
As long as there are some options/playlists with traditional game mechanics (no abilities), I'll be happy. Just because the game has sprint doesn't mean a player will be forced to use it.
I want to say this is the answer, but judging from H5, I don’t think it really would be. Don’t get me wrong I love the H3 throwback playlist, but it’s really limited to just that game mode and those maps. I wouldn’t want them to make maps/modes tailored to both gameplays either (consistently that is), as that would be essentially developing two games at the same time under the same name. “Don’t half -Yoink- two things, whole -Yoink- one thing”
I understand what you're saying but the current maps can be played both ways. I don't use armor abilities all that often and still manage to get around the map just fine. My old school play style can keep up with the younger and faster whippersnappers with little to no problem.
Can someone remind me why people actually want to see Sprint in a Halo game.
Because that's what all the other cool games are doing now and they feel like Halo has to follow trends if it wants to fit in.

Then, there's the other group who "wanna feel like a Spartan", and they think that means having to lower your gun and stop shooting in order to get around the map.
Helljvmper wrote:
As long as there are some options/playlists with traditional game mechanics (no abilities), I'll be happy. Just because the game has sprint doesn't mean a player will be forced to use it.
I want to say this is the answer, but judging from H5, I don’t think it really would be. Don’t get me wrong I love the H3 throwback playlist, but it’s really limited to just that game mode and those maps. I wouldn’t want them to make maps/modes tailored to both gameplays either (consistently that is), as that would be essentially developing two games at the same time under the same name. “Don’t half -Yoink- two things, whole -Yoink- one thing”
Exactly. I will not buy a game just for 1 playlist, on a limited amount of game modes on a limited amount of (probably) forge maps.

Plus the weapon sandbox will be designed to accommodate sprint and it will work not optimally with no sprint. Just look at the sniper on Halo 5: easy to use against players with sprint/spartan abilites, absolutely OP when used against non-sprinting players.

Willko wrote:
Can someone remind me why people actually want to see Sprint in a Halo game.
Because that's what all the other cool games are doing now and they feel like Halo has to follow trends if it wants to fit in.
Then, there's the other group who "wanna feel like a Spartan", and they think that means having to lower your gun and stop shooting in order to get around the map.
Yeah, IMO a real super soldier should be able to run at maximum speed and shoot at the same time. This is truly super.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7