Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

HI: thanks guys - wort wort wort: so long, partner

OP DaffodilCow9876

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Ok so I just saw the banished trailer and it means we won't be hearing the covenant speak in their languages, which disappointed me a lot. I will miss WORT WORT WORT. The foreign behaviour of the covenant from CE (specially), Reach and 4 made them a lot more interesting, complex and well... real, for me. Like I could actually imagine these aliens in real life. The huge difference between us humans and the covenant was one of the things I wanted to see the most in infinite, in the other games I find the covie... goofy. RIP EL POZOLE
Click here and you'll never miss it again.

I kind of like when our enemies speak English, especially with the Jiralhanae as they sound so intimidating.
The allure of alien sounding aliens wore off on me during Reach, in CE it was cool because you were being introduced to the world, but come Reach, it didn't do too much for me after a while.
It's really just a stylistic choice. I prefer the use of human languages (English for me) because I'd rather not have to read subtitles while I'm trying to enjoy a cutscene.

Keeping it all in an alien language worked in CE, but once the Covenant got a more involved role in the following games, keeping things in an alien language would have become rather tedious imo.
I don't think the difference between Banished and Covenant makes a difference on whether they speak English or not, that's just a choice they have to make regardless. We haven't heard wort wort wort in any of 343i games when the Covenant was still around.
I thought that speaking the Covenant speaking their own language was neat, but I much prefer them speaking English. It worked for Reach's serious tone, making the enemies seem intimidating during a losing battle, but I found the old dialogue from Halo CE, 2 and 3 to be more memorable. Elites in Halo 2 and 3 for sure, but Grunts in particular come to mind here.

Grunts sounded like gremlins with a tickle in their throat in Halo 4. I definitely prefer the comedy relief Grunts, and was over the moon when they even had Joe Staten voicing Grunts again in Halo 5.

Jackals should go back to their own language though. They sounded horrid in Halo 5, and I'll die on that hill.
Uuv wrote:
I thought that speaking the Covenant speaking their own language was neat, but I much prefer them speaking English. It worked for Reach's serious tone, making the enemies seem intimidating during a losing battle, but I found the old dialogue from Halo CE, 2 and 3 to be more memorable. Elites in Halo 2 and 3 for sure, but Grunts in particular come to mind here.

Grunts sounded like gremlins with a tickle in their throat in Halo 4. I definitely prefer the comedy relief Grunts, and was over the moon when they even had Joe Staten voicing Grunts again in Halo 5.

Jackals should go back to their own language though. They sounded horrid in Halo 5, and I'll die on that hill.
Englsh speaking Grunts = Best Grunts.
"FEET DON'T FAIL ME NOW!!" Will always sound better to me than The Reach/4 sound of "Abeghh oejwrifee eowpiv EZZ NU GUMIII!"The Kig'Yar are my favorite race in Halo so I was thrilled to finally understand them, but that's just me. Was it the concept of understanding them you didn't like, or just the way their voices sounded?

(Unrelated but I hate how Waypoint reformats my posts without asking me. Preview shows a nice orderly message with distinct paragraphs, then I click submit and there's this big run-on sentence that's hard to make out :/ )
Very much disagree. The foreign language of the Elites perfectly fit the vibes of CE, Reach, and 4, being that in all games we were supposed to feel distant from the Elites or that we would see them as this treacherous foreign threat. CE's atmosphere was inspired by Alien and the focus was on humanity and their survival, same thing for Reach but even more so (there are also stylistic choices in Reach that one can notice, such as the black beady eyes and taller heights of the Elites in that game which gives them a more menacing vibe). 4 returned to the foreign aspect of the Elites.

I believe the English speaking of the alien races actually makes the story more complex, as it offers us new perspectives and allows for more efficient storytelling. Halo 2 for example. Them just "worting" I feel actually makes the story far less complex and one sided since you're only following the side you understand (then you say, "give the Covenant/Banished subtitles so we can understand", and at that point what is the purpose of them not just speaking English?). I don't think them speaking either language makes a difference for the realism aspect for me (after all, if they've been fighting for so long you'd think the UNSC would have built in translators for better understanding of enemy plans and communications); in any case the giant "Hold X to pick up weapon" prompt (for example) reminds me that, in fact, I am playing a video game.

Realism is very overrated anyway.
Sylxeria wrote:
Uuv wrote:
I thought that speaking the Covenant speaking their own language was neat, but I much prefer them speaking English. It worked for Reach's serious tone, making the enemies seem intimidating during a losing battle, but I found the old dialogue from Halo CE, 2 and 3 to be more memorable. Elites in Halo 2 and 3 for sure, but Grunts in particular come to mind here.

Grunts sounded like gremlins with a tickle in their throat in Halo 4. I definitely prefer the comedy relief Grunts, and was over the moon when they even had Joe Staten voicing Grunts again in Halo 5.

Jackals should go back to their own language though. They sounded horrid in Halo 5, and I'll die on that hill.
Englsh speaking Grunts = Best Grunts.
"FEET DON'T FAIL ME NOW!!" Will always sound better to me than The Reach/4 sound of "Abeghh oejwrifee eowpiv EZZ NU GUMIII!"The Kig'Yar are my favorite race in Halo so I was thrilled to finally understand them, but that's just me. Was it the concept of understanding them you didn't like, or just the way their voices sounded?

(Unrelated but I hate how Waypoint reformats my posts without asking me. Preview shows a nice orderly message with distinct paragraphs, then I click submit and there's this big run-on sentence that's hard to make out :/ )
It was mostly the voice itself. It just sounded way too high pitched and strange to me. Understanding the Jackals themselves wasn't really a huge issue for me, but if they were to speak English, I'd always imagined it sounding closer to what the Kantus sounds like from Gears of War when it speaks English, minus the screaming.
I used to be against Covies speaking English too, I thought it took away from their "alien-ness". Made them too human like and such. But I've since gotten used to them speaking English and I even prefer it that way now. I guess I played too much Halo 3/5.

Plus you get some funny lines from time to time. I still remember killing a Brute in 3 and another Brute shouted "He was my lover!"
H3 Brutes with IWHBYD on has one of my favorite gems. *Kills Brute* "He was my lover!"
I feel like they should speak in a mix of English and Alien, as the situation dictates. But finding the right balance for that is challenging at best.
Sylxeria wrote:
Uuv wrote:
I thought that speaking the Covenant speaking their own language was neat, but I much prefer them speaking English. It worked for Reach's serious tone, making the enemies seem intimidating during a losing battle, but I found the old dialogue from Halo CE, 2 and 3 to be more memorable. Elites in Halo 2 and 3 for sure, but Grunts in particular come to mind here.

Grunts sounded like gremlins with a tickle in their throat in Halo 4. I definitely prefer the comedy relief Grunts, and was over the moon when they even had Joe Staten voicing Grunts again in Halo 5.

Jackals should go back to their own language though. They sounded horrid in Halo 5, and I'll die on that hill.
Englsh speaking Grunts = Best Grunts.
"FEET DON'T FAIL ME NOW!!" Will always sound better to me than The Reach/4 sound of "Abeghh oejwrifee eowpiv EZZ NU GUMIII!"The Kig'Yar are my favorite race in Halo so I was thrilled to finally understand them, but that's just me. Was it the concept of understanding them you didn't like, or just the way their voices sounded?
I don't like when they speak english but I'm divided for the voices. The classic grunt voices are KING hands down, independently of what they say. Same with the brutes, I think their voices weren't "savage" enough in Reach, despite me liking their native language. I loved the voice of the elites in halo CE, Reach and 4 the most just as the language. H5... we don´t talk about that.

Very much disagree. The foreign language of the Elites perfectly fit the vibes of CE, Reach, and 4, being that in all games we were supposed to feel distant from the Elites or that we would see them as this treacherous foreign threat. CE's atmosphere was inspired by Alien and the focus was on humanity and their survival, same thing for Reach but even more so (there are also stylistic choices in Reach that one can notice, such as the black beady eyes and taller heights of the Elites in that game which gives them a more menacing vibe). 4 returned to the foreign aspect of the Elites.

I believe the English speaking of the alien races actually makes the story more complex, as it offers us new perspectives and allows for more efficient storytelling. Halo 2 for example. Them just "worting" I feel actually makes the story far less complex and one sided since you're only following the side you understand (then you say, "give the Covenant/Banished subtitles so we can understand", and at that point what is the purpose of them not just speaking English?). I don't think them speaking either language makes a difference for the realism aspect for me (after all, if they've been fighting for so long you'd think the UNSC would have built in translators for better understanding of enemy plans and communications); in any case the giant "Hold X to pick up weapon" prompt (for example) reminds me that, in fact, I am playing a video game.

Realism is very overrated anyway.
It just takes me out of the immersion. I believe some bizarre roars portray enemies that are meant to be dangerous better than "do you give feet massages darling?"

I understand this is a game, but when I'm playing an M rated about aliens exterminating humans I expect it to have some degree of credibility and coherency with it's own dark concept. What if out of nowhere the master chief jumped and landed in the sun and moaned "oniichaaan go to sleep because at this time el hee hee comes out lol xd uwu", then transformed into a magnum with legs that spits lego traffic cones that splatter everyone and then he married the arbiter just before a pink sign in comic sans showed up saying "this isn't real so it can be wathever"?

The translator thing you said sounds admittedly smart, but it should be stated somewhere at least. An "initianing translator" thing when the chief puts on his helmet and all this numbers appear like in the latest trailer would do.
Go the Crysis way. English is disabled when you play on Legendary or have a skull for it?
While I do have rose-tinted glasses when it comes to "Wort Wort Wort!", having the Covenant speak english is a better choice. Maybe interject some "native" dialogue when it comes to NPCs being surprised, or when they are attacking. But for pure dialogue and cutscenes, it's better with english and doesnt detract from the story progression by forcing the player to read subtitles.
Just my thoughts.
Pfh7 wrote:
Click here and you'll never miss it again.

I kind of like when our enemies speak English, especially with the Jiralhanae as they sound so intimidating.
The allure of alien sounding aliens wore off on me during Reach, in CE it was cool because you were being introduced to the world, but come Reach, it didn't do too much for me after a while.
I found myself just beat boxing for 4 minutes to that video, but I agree that the English voices do sound better. It adds more character to the enemies you're fighting against. Instead of fighting against a nameless unidentifiable character, you're able to distinguish voices with faces and species. Halo 2 really did a solid with introducing English voices to Covenant characters in that you really know who you're fighting against. Although, in combat, I would like to hear a couple of worts because of how iconic it is.
Very much disagree. The foreign language of the Elites perfectly fit the vibes of CE, Reach, and 4, being that in all games we were supposed to feel distant from the Elites or that we would see them as this treacherous foreign threat. CE's atmosphere was inspired by Alien and the focus was on humanity and their survival, same thing for Reach but even more so (there are also stylistic choices in Reach that one can notice, such as the black beady eyes and taller heights of the Elites in that game which gives them a more menacing vibe). 4 returned to the foreign aspect of the Elites.

I believe the English speaking of the alien races actually makes the story more complex, as it offers us new perspectives and allows for more efficient storytelling. Halo 2 for example. Them just "worting" I feel actually makes the story far less complex and one sided since you're only following the side you understand (then you say, "give the Covenant/Banished subtitles so we can understand", and at that point what is the purpose of them not just speaking English?). I don't think them speaking either language makes a difference for the realism aspect for me (after all, if they've been fighting for so long you'd think the UNSC would have built in translators for better understanding of enemy plans and communications); in any case the giant "Hold X to pick up weapon" prompt (for example) reminds me that, in fact, I am playing a video game.

Realism is very overrated anyway.
It just takes me out of the immersion. I believe some bizarre roars portray enemies that are meant to be dangerous better than "do you give feet massages darling?"

I understand this is a game, but when I'm playing an M rated about aliens exterminating humans I expect it to have some degree of credibility and coherency with it's own dark concept. What if out of nowhere the master chief jumped and landed in the sun and moaned "oniichaaan go to sleep because at this time el hee hee comes out lol xd uwu", then transformed into a magnum with legs that spits lego traffic cones that splatter everyone and then he married the arbiter just before a pink sign in comic sans showed up saying "this isn't real so it can be wathever"?

[EDIT]: The translator thing you said sounds admittedly smart, but it should be stated somewhere at least. An "initianing translator" thing when the chief puts on his helmet and all this numbers appear like in the latest trailer would do.
Pretty funny, -Yoinking!- ridiculous that that's your argument, but pretty funny. Don't think aliens having their voices translated to English in the future is that far off from Halo's own "dark concept", and the concept of understanding the aliens isn't anywhere close to creating a plot on DMT. Never said that "this isn't real so it can be wathever". Aliens speaking English was a boundary crossed for a plot reason; the example provided in your post is an exaggeration/misrepresentation of my argument or the idea that games can be not 1:1 with reality, and is more reactionary in nature than actually being used to provide an objective counter-argument.
Very much disagree. The foreign language of the Elites perfectly fit the vibes of CE, Reach, and 4, being that in all games we were supposed to feel distant from the Elites or that we would see them as this treacherous foreign threat. CE's atmosphere was inspired by Alien and the focus was on humanity and their survival, same thing for Reach but even more so (there are also stylistic choices in Reach that one can notice, such as the black beady eyes and taller heights of the Elites in that game which gives them a more menacing vibe). 4 returned to the foreign aspect of the Elites.

I believe the English speaking of the alien races actually makes the story more complex, as it offers us new perspectives and allows for more efficient storytelling. Halo 2 for example. Them just "worting" I feel actually makes the story far less complex and one sided since you're only following the side you understand (then you say, "give the Covenant/Banished subtitles so we can understand", and at that point what is the purpose of them not just speaking English?). I don't think them speaking either language makes a difference for the realism aspect for me (after all, if they've been fighting for so long you'd think the UNSC would have built in translators for better understanding of enemy plans and communications); in any case the giant "Hold X to pick up weapon" prompt (for example) reminds me that, in fact, I am playing a video game.

Realism is very overrated anyway.
It just takes me out of the immersion. I believe some bizarre roars portray enemies that are meant to be dangerous better than "do you give feet massages darling?"

I understand this is a game, but when I'm playing an M rated about aliens exterminating humans I expect it to have some degree of credibility and coherency with it's own dark concept. What if out of nowhere the master chief jumped and landed in the sun and moaned "oniichaaan go to sleep because at this time el hee hee comes out lol xd uwu", then transformed into a magnum with legs that spits lego traffic cones that splatter everyone and then he married the arbiter just before a pink sign in comic sans showed up saying "this isn't real so it can be wathever"?
Pretty funny, -Yoinking!- ridiculous that that's your argument, but pretty funny. Don't think aliens having their voices translated to English in the future is that far off from Halo's own "dark concept", and the concept of understanding the aliens isn't anywhere close to creating a plot on DMT. Never said that "this isn't real so it can be wathever". Aliens speaking English was a boundary crossed for a plot reason; the example provided in your post is an exaggeration/misrepresentation of my argument or the idea that games can be not 1:1 with reality, and is more reactionary in nature than actually being used to provide an objective counter-argument.
Don't crop my comment, I agreed the translation thing was a solid reason if it was at least mentioned
Very much disagree. The foreign language of the Elites perfectly fit the vibes of CE, Reach, and 4, being that in all games we were supposed to feel distant from the Elites or that we would see them as this treacherous foreign threat. CE's atmosphere was inspired by Alien and the focus was on humanity and their survival, same thing for Reach but even more so (there are also stylistic choices in Reach that one can notice, such as the black beady eyes and taller heights of the Elites in that game which gives them a more menacing vibe). 4 returned to the foreign aspect of the Elites.

I believe the English speaking of the alien races actually makes the story more complex, as it offers us new perspectives and allows for more efficient storytelling. Halo 2 for example. Them just "worting" I feel actually makes the story far less complex and one sided since you're only following the side you understand (then you say, "give the Covenant/Banished subtitles so we can understand", and at that point what is the purpose of them not just speaking English?). I don't think them speaking either language makes a difference for the realism aspect for me (after all, if they've been fighting for so long you'd think the UNSC would have built in translators for better understanding of enemy plans and communications); in any case the giant "Hold X to pick up weapon" prompt (for example) reminds me that, in fact, I am playing a video game.

Realism is very overrated anyway.
It just takes me out of the immersion. I believe some bizarre roars portray enemies that are meant to be dangerous better than "do you give feet massages darling?"

I understand this is a game, but when I'm playing an M rated about aliens exterminating humans I expect it to have some degree of credibility and coherency with it's own dark concept. What if out of nowhere the master chief jumped and landed in the sun and moaned "oniichaaan go to sleep because at this time el hee hee comes out lol xd uwu", then transformed into a magnum with legs that spits lego traffic cones that splatter everyone and then he married the arbiter just before a pink sign in comic sans showed up saying "this isn't real so it can be wathever"?
Pretty funny, -Yoinking!- ridiculous that that's your argument, but pretty funny. Don't think aliens having their voices translated to English in the future is that far off from Halo's own "dark concept", and the concept of understanding the aliens isn't anywhere close to creating a plot on DMT. Never said that "this isn't real so it can be wathever". Aliens speaking English was a boundary crossed for a plot reason; the example provided in your post is an exaggeration/misrepresentation of my argument or the idea that games can be not 1:1 with reality, and is more reactionary in nature than actually being used to provide an objective counter-argument.
Don't crop my comment, I agreed the translation thing was a solid reason if it was at least mentioned
Cropped your comment for the relevant parts. It's not censorship, your comment still exists on this topic and if anybody is tracking this discussion they'd know how you feel about that. Simply zoning in on the ridiculous part.
Don't crop my comment, I agreed the translation thing was a solid reason if it was at least mentioned
Cropped your comment for the relevant parts. It's not censorship, your comment still exists on this topic and if anybody is tracking this discussion they'd know how you feel about that. Simply zoning in on the ridiculous part.
If we're talking forum etiquette as a side note, you should at least add the word "cut" to the quote you crop. Most often you see it used in rectangle brackets. Just say'n! :P

That said yeah I think you took Cow's statement a bit too serious here mate. I mean, it's clearly just an overly exaggerated comment to make a point (which you can agree with or not, I don't for instance) and not a tentative to take you out of context on purpose.
what if they had their own languages, but if you activate the IWHBYD skull they speak english?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2