Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

High level update

OP Nadekill1379

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
This situation is reminiscent of when 343i announced a reward for reaching 152 in H5. There was no substance to it, but was designed to hold players over for a bit. That said, some news is better than no news in this context, so I’m looking forward to hearing something. Who knows, maybe they will turn things around and this update will calm everyone down.
THANK YOU for at least telling us that Halo won't be at VGA's. I think it's important to set expectations. I don't know how giving us news could be a bad thing. It'd be nice if once they have their new marketing plan, let us know when to expect news and what kind like what The Coalition did with Gears 5. Really helps with waiting.
“High level update” - these are words said by them so as such the bar is set. We can only hypothesise what this actually means. However, hopefully they know what this doesn’t mean.
It isn’t allowed to mean;
- more changes features without an actual explanation
- features that are missing
- a roadmap to news down the line (I’m ok if they do a roadmap, but not if the big announcement is “We have a roadmap, see!”)

What it should be;
- beta announcements
- possible release date but not entirely necessary
- more in-depth gameplay with explanations by developers. E.g. this weapon does this, this is a new enemy type, this is one of many new vehicles making its way to halo infinite, etc.
- showcasing customisation (answer the questions that should have been answered the day after the coatings mess came up)
- new forge, custom game browsers, etc.

It certainly doesn’t need all of the above at once, but if they say “high level” and “transparency” in the same post, then we should expect exactly that. I know what I literally just said is common sense but I would legitimately not be surprised if the news was mediocre. Just based on evidence at least, or rather lack thereof.
High level usually means just vague stuff. So what you said it doesn't mean is likely exactly what it means.
This is good! Hopefully we will receive answers as to a release date, multiplayer reveals, and transparency on armor coatings, micro transactions, etc.
Tariq9898 wrote:
"Restart this journey" reminds me of re-marketing for the game. And based on the time frame suggested by Ske7ch, I'm expecting a Holiday 2021 release date. Which I'm okay with it they need that much time to make the game a masterpiece.

What do y'all think when it comes to release date predictions?
I'll only accept a Holiday 2021 release if we get a beta. I don't feel like only playing MCC for another year
I agree with everyone here saying it's good that 343i quashed the rumor that there was some VGA ace up their sleeve.

However, they'd be a lot better off if there *were* a gigantic and ground shattering reveal that they've been keeping a lid on- Something to shut up all of us doubters and reaffirm that they're confident and clear headed about the project.

As is, 343i has looked like they're scrambling around since July trying to put out PR fires with a squirt gun. It's been months since the delay, which seemingly was a very last-minute decision that *tremendously* blindsided 343i. Why/how it should've been such a disarming surprise for the development and marketing plans is ever-more beffudling, but it must've been thanks to the clear lack of any contingency or damage control plan in place for artfully dealing with the delay and minimizing the "WTF is going on," window.

Confidence in 343i and Infinite is very shaken, even from the precedent of them having yet to develop an original Halo game in Hao 4-5 that isn't the source of gigantic polarization and contraversy to series fans and gamers everywhere.

Promising that we're going to "restart" (paraphrasing) the marketing and hype journey in the new year is a positive development, but it's very, very late to acquiesce the huge optics problems they've let grow uncontrollably for months, now.

I've got little expectation that the "high level update," will contain any truly substantive information to quell concerns about 343i at this point. They've had three and a half months to address the negative buzz and have instead allowed it to steadily grow- I don't see any cause to believe they've got a magic blog post that's going to change everything to sunshine and buttercups overnight.

Let me be clear, I desperately want to be proven wrong about this. I hope they've got a comprehensive and reasonable update in store for us before the end of the year, and I want Infinite to come out and make me eat so much crow that I'll never be able to stop myself from giving 343 the benefit of the doubt again. I just increasingly expect neither of these things will materialize.
Windows central is predicting a long blog post with lots of game screebshots and commentary. Honestly if this is true, I'd be pretty happy about it. It would be by far the most we'll have seen since July. I personally liked the demo, and wish they would have built more news on that even if some of it would have been disappointing. It still would've been a hundred times better than getting no news other than toy leaks and armor skins.
More transparency, how many times have we heard that? I think 343 I would be best off acting on that word instead of saying it over and over.

I guess at this point I'm considering Infinite shelved until next holiday season. In till then ill be found on MCC. (And probably after release if its like halo 5)
If its fall 2021 release then I'll be ok with it I just really hope for fighting program. I don't want a short one.
It was very good of 343 to come out and confirm that they won’t be at the VGAs, as to not let rumor spread and get people’s expectations needlessly raised. So than you for that clarification.
With this “high level” update, I’m seriously skeptical. We’ve heard almost nothing from 343 regarding this game since the July reveal, basically radio silence. The slight news they have given or that has came out has pretty much been nothing but bad. With this update, I don’t think they’ll acknowledge these concerns, very carefully dodge those criticisms. In terms of news, I don’t think they’ll really give us anything that major or big, it’ll probably be something like they’re still hard at work, hoping to share more in the future, and at most maybe a release window. He mentioned how they’re hoping to be more transparent , however they’ve said that in the past quite a few other times, sorry I’m sorry but those words ring hollow. We’ll have to wait and see what awaits in this update, I truly hope that 343 proves me wrong? And this is a substantial update with info and possibly content.
Honestly, unless they go into detail about many things (microtransactions, armor customization, acknowledge the terrible promotion campaign they have going on) and show some actual MP gameplay, I don't think I really care anymore. An announcement of a beta would be good too, but that isn't happening..

So they might show some screenshots....whopie! They say they are ironing out bugs, great...or give us a rough release date...who cares, honestly...and there marketing campaign has been absolutely brutal! No gamestop in Canada for example I've called knows a single thing about this pre order bonus for infinite for example. That's terrible!!!

I don't know, I'm just tired of these little bits of nothing. Halo Infinites hype is so bad now...the game isn't even out and people already think it's a joke! 😔

So unless they actually show some meaningful and tangible stuff, I could care less.
“High level update” - these are words said by them so as such the bar is set. We can only hypothesise what this actually means. However, hopefully they know what this doesn’t mean.
It isn’t allowed to mean;
- more changes features without an actual explanation
- features that are missing
- a roadmap to news down the line (I’m ok if they do a roadmap, but not if the big announcement is “We have a roadmap, see!”)

What it should be;
- beta announcements
- possible release date but not entirely necessary
- more in-depth gameplay with explanations by developers. E.g. this weapon does this, this is a new enemy type, this is one of many new vehicles making its way to halo infinite, etc.
- showcasing customisation (answer the questions that should have been answered the day after the coatings mess came up)
- new forge, custom game browsers, etc.

It certainly doesn’t need all of the above at once, but if they say “high level” and “transparency” in the same post, then we should expect exactly that. I know what I literally just said is common sense but I would legitimately not be surprised if the news was mediocre. Just based on evidence at least, or rather lack thereof.
High level usually means just vague stuff. So what you said it doesn't mean is likely exactly what it means.
See I find that counter intuitive. If you hear the term “high level” people should expect “high level”. Something of a low standard such as vague announcements should be considered a low level since its low... They are setting up for failure again if they give us a low level announcements despite explicitly saying high level.
I don’t expect anything satisfying at all. It will be a blog post full of big words and long vague drawn out sentences that will leave more unanswered questions and won’t address the unanswered questions we already have. I’d bet my full salary that the word “soon” will be used. That’s such a vague and broad term that I’ve come to hate it. If not “soon” then “in the coming months”. And after this news drops, I’d expect another news drought. They said that was not the goal back in the summer, but 4 months later we still have nothing. I hate to be so pessimistic, I do not enjoy it. But given the track record over the last 6 years, I’ve learned to keep my Halo expectations very low. I hope I am proved wrong
I’m keeping my fingers crossed for something cool. The fact that it’s not at the VGAs gives me hope that they’re really planning something big!
lamnid wrote:
I’m keeping my fingers crossed for something cool. The fact that it’s not at the VGAs gives me hope that they’re really planning something big!
Wouldn't it be the complete opposite? The fact that that it is NOT at the VGAs would imply that they don't really have anything significant planned. Obviously, I'm hoping that is not the case, but that is just what it looks like to me.
Wouldn't it be the complete opposite? The fact that that it is NOT at the VGAs would imply that they don't really have anything significant planned. Obviously, I'm hoping that is not the case, but that is just what it looks like to me.
I think a showcase at the VGAs would be kept small to not distract from the rest of the show. An Xbox-only (perhaps even Halo-only) event gives 343 the opportunity to show something much larger—if it’s an event at all. I know that’s a pretty bold assumption. For all we know, this could just be 343’s way of holding out as long as possible before giving us another underwhelming Waypoint article.
I'm hoping for a super duper photo-realistic 8k uhd
CRAIG photo.
I kid.
Just a taste of multiplayer would be nice
See I find that counter intuitive. If you hear the term “high level” people should expect “high level”. Something of a low standard such as vague announcements should be considered a low level since its low... They are setting up for failure again if they give us a low level announcements despite explicitly saying high level.
High Level in development usually means more of the 'surface details', the 'tip of the iceburg'. It has nothing to do with quality. Its the level you use for your boss who likely doesn't know programming or at least the inner workings of the program. When it comes to 'low level' discussion (though i've usually heard it called 'in depth', but that does imply 'lower than the surface') its more of the nitty gritty, the many smaller details that make the project work . The inner cogs of how it works. How the people actually making the program talk about the project.

I could be wrong, but its how I instantly read it when they said high level. English can be a really weird language as yes, if they're using high level in the context of quality you'd be entirely right. But when in the context of development, a high level discussion is usually the opposite of an 'indepth' one.
I'm looking forward to this "High level" update. My expectations aren't high, but I have hope. Thanks btw for being transparent about the VGA. It's a good move in the right direction. 👍
Don’t be shocked if this “high level” update is gonna be something like “Hi everyone! We want you to know that the team is still hard at work during these difficult times. We understand it can be frustrating to wait this long, but we kindly ask that you remain patient. Worry not, as we’ll begin the marketing again in the coming months. We’ll let you know more in the coming weeks. Happy Holidays!”
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3