Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Hit Markers: Please Give Us a Toggle Feature

OP Vincentius rex

I’ve always liked Halo because it was unique and offered an experience not found in any other FPS title. I’m also of the belief that the franchise has declined largely due to the inclusion of features that are considered “standard” or “trendy” because they appear in other modern shooters. I saw a few features in the Halo Infinite gameplay demo that I would group under the umbrella of, “This was clearly added because it’s in other games, not because it necessarily fits Halo.” I felt that way initially about sprint, clamber, slide and the Grappleshot, though I’ve since come to accept the inclusion of these mechanics and look forward to experiencing them firsthand (particularly the Grappleshot).

That all being said, there’s one U.I. element I saw pop up in the demo that disappointed me, and that was the presence of hit markers. I personally have never liked hit markers, especially in Halo, simply because it turns every combat encounter into a battle with the heads-up display, rather than what it actually is: an engagement with an adversary that’s right in front of me. Shooting an enemy until they fall dead to the floor is much more immersive and satisfying than shooting until the HUD tells you what you’re shooting at is no longer a living target. It feels less arcade-like and more akin to an actual battle for survival, which this franchise has excelled at conveying in previous titles. (It’s a similar issue I have with health bars, however those can be forgiven in RPG/MMO titles such as Destiny where hit values fluctuate much more dynamically across different weapons and as such I don’t think is a threat in Halo.)

I can’t deny the useful applications hit markers have in encounters where visibility is obstructed--particularly in multiplayer--and as such I wouldn’t expect or even ask for their outright removal. But I would very much like to see a toggle feature at launch that allowed the player to turn off hit markers altogether or, better yet, during campaign and multiplayer individually. Halo on console has never really embraced personalization options when it comes to its user interface, be that the HUD, FOV or reticle positioning, and while these would all certainly be welcome additions, a toggle for hit markers is a feature I feel passionately enough to go beyond complaining over Twitter and actually request it here on the forums. I’m hoping this is seen by 343 and taken to heart before launch, or hell, even after. But even if nothing comes out of it and hit markers stay for good—ugh—I’ll at least sleep soundly knowing I did my due diligence to say something.
Someone just watched HiddenXperia's latest video lol.
I mean why not. I'd imagine it should not be to time consuming to do.
I would probably turn them off for campaign, because i don't like them, but not multiplayer, due to the disadvantage... It's (to a small degree) like games that let you play in first- or third-person, if anybody can play in third-person and see around corners, you have to play in third-person too, or get stomped. Grenade hit markers let you see around corners, if anybody can have it enabled, i have to play with it enabled too.

I could go on explaining how they look bad, aren't necessary, don't make sense, and encourage grenade spam... But i'll digress. 343i, do your thing.
I'd prefer to be able to toggle them off in multiplayer mostly but also campaign. I know if I've hit you. I think they're fun for games like CoD where you're shooting through walls and have bullet drop. Proper pointless for Halo.

These days I don't play Agnes on the harder difficulties much so I prefer to take off the whole of the HUD where possible and just enjoy great visuals and a clean game. It's so good doing it that way, if not a little tougher at times. You get used to it quickly and the game is stunning after.
the lack of hitmarkers in classic halo and the need to read other visuals, animations, sounds and count with the shots is a chalanging and fun distinguishing quirck.
Remember when Halo didn't need hit markers? Blood spurts and shield damage effects were an immersive, and unobtrusive way to let the player know shots were hitting. Why on earth did 343 ditch that in favor of Xbox huge UI hit markers that completely obscure what you're shooting at?
the lack of hitmarkers in classic halo and the need to read other visuals, animations, sounds and count with the shots is a chalanging and fun distinguishing quirck.
Yeah there is alot to halo that tells us when we hit a bad guy, no need for hit markers.

Plus infinite had tons of things to tell the players that your landing hits, heck the brutes stumble and stager when shot in various ways.
I’ve always liked Halo because it was unique and offered an experience not found in any other FPS title. I’m also of the belief that the franchise has declined largely due to the inclusion of features that are considered “standard” or “trendy” because they appear in other modern shooters. I saw a few features in the Halo Infinite gameplay demo that I would group under the umbrella of, “This was clearly added because it’s in other games, not because it necessarily fits Halo.” I felt that way initially about sprint, clamber, slide and the Grappleshot, though I’ve since come to accept the inclusion of these mechanics and look forward to experiencing them firsthand (particularly the Grappleshot).
That all being said, there’s one U.I. element I saw pop up in the demo that disappointed me, and that was the presence of hit markers. I personally have never liked hit markers, especially in Halo, simply because it turns every combat encounter into a battle with the heads-up display, rather than what it actually is: an engagement with an adversary that’s right in front of me. Shooting an enemy until they fall dead to the floor is much more immersive and satisfying than shooting until the HUD tells you what you’re shooting at is no longer a living target. It feels less arcade-like and more akin to an actual battle for survival, which this franchise has excelled at conveying in previous titles. (It’s a similar issue I have with health bars, however those can be forgiven in RPG/MMO titles such as Destiny where hit values fluctuate much more dynamically across different weapons and as such I don’t think is a threat in Halo.)
I can’t deny the useful applications hit markers have in encounters where visibility is obstructed--particularly in multiplayer--and as such I wouldn’t expect or even ask for their outright removal. But I would very much like to see a toggle feature at launch that allowed the player to turn off hit markers altogether or, better yet, during campaign and multiplayer individually. Halo on console has never really embraced personalization options when it comes to its user interface, be that the HUD, FOV or reticle positioning, and while these would all certainly be welcome additions, a toggle for hit markers is a feature I feel passionately enough to go beyond complaining over Twitter and actually request it here on the forums. I’m hoping this is seen by 343 and taken to heart before launch, or hell, even after. But even if nothing comes out of it and hit markers stay for good—ugh—I’ll at least sleep soundly knowing I did my due diligence to say something.
I think every game that uses hitmarker gives the option to disable them, no reason infinite shouldn't have this as well
The hitmarkers don't seem to work for explosive damage which is good enough for me. I hated how it did because you could just throw a grenade and ping someone around a corner. Things like that shouldn't be in the game.