4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5
Delta5931 wrote:
C0BALT237 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
C0BALT237 wrote:
For me, the one main thing I hated about the original games is the lack of hit and kill markers. they’re a necessity in all games at this point, not entirely sure why anyone could dislike them.
all they’d do is add to the game, why would you want them not in the game? It’s not like they change gameplay... at all...
First off, using Halo CE as an example is a poor choice. That game is not designed to be played competitively. Now, I've bolded those parts because they're basically complete fabrications in the context of Halo 2 and Halo 3, as well as Reach. In all three of those games, which are designed to be played competitively, shield flares are obvious when you're hitting your target as well as when you're doing health damage (blood splatter). Shields will also noticeably drop and the enemy will be covered in what look like little bolts of lightning when shields drop. There's also an audible noise when shields are depleted in Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo Reach that you can use at closer ranges to determine if shields are down. There's also flinching, that Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo Reach all use when you're doing damage to the opponent regardless of shield strength. Using your eyes and ears to determine if you're doing damage is an important skill that hitmarkers mask as being unimportant. The same argument that no one complained about hitmarkers in those games can be applied to Halo. I would argue that no one really wanted hitmarkers until 343 started making Call of Halo and slapped them in with reckless abandon.

Vehicles will noticeably have "dust" fly off of them and there's an audible noise when a vehicle is damaged past certain breakpoints. The idea that a new player would assume vehicles are invincible because they're using a weapon that's not designed to destroy vehicles (small arms) is laughable at best. I have never heard of this as a legitimate complaint from new players.

Now, for grenades. First, you can use your eyes to determine if your grenade has gone too far. Second, grenades will also make a noise when they explode as well as a slight visual disturbance when the grenade goes off. Third, the reason that hitmarkers being applied to grenades is something I'll criticize, is because they're being used less as "Flush out enemies" and more as "Are there enemies in there?" like a sort of sensor grenade. Someone else in this thread already pointed out that sticking out a grenade and staying around a corner lets you set up effective ambushes, even if the grenade does damage to you when there aren't hitmarkers. Hitmarkers also makes the motion tracker dramatically less important, because if the grenade detonates close enough to an opponent, you will see them on the motion tracker.
How convenient that Halo CE isn’t built competitively now even tho back then it kicked off Esports on console...

At distance, these cues that keep repeating don’t appear. At certain distances, shield flares don’t appear, the electricity doesn’t render, and flinch isn’t properly conveyed. “Dust appearing on a vehicle”, take a shot at any vehicle at range and tell me in all honesty if you can see much less hear anything coming from it. Noticeable dust disappears after 20m anything after that is hopeful dreaming.

In every halo there has been grenade spamming doesn’t matter if it’s a new player or a veteran. People have always chucked grenades around corners or down halls to check if someone is there, that isn’t an issue of hit markers. Again, unless you’re near the hallway, or corner, you won’t get a motion sensor trip, nor will you hear the sound of their shield bursting over the explosion of the grenade, it doesn’t matter how good of a player you are, unless you have wall hacks you are not getting any kind of indicator of wether your grenade hit or was wasted unless the person is sitting at the mouth of the hallway like a dip.
Doesn't this point also prove that if this is the case, then hit markers on grenades aren't necessary? People will do it regardless so rewarding them with a visual cue just for being lucky doesnt excuse the use of them. The fact is that hitmarkers on grenades isn't warranted. The idea of "flushing" an enemy out with a grenade would indicate that the player has knowledge of their movements and thus throws the grenade in such a way that the opposing player is FORCED to move into the tossers line of sight or in a way that is advantageous to the thrower/team. Rewarding dumb luck goes against rewarding good tactics/players/teams (which is what i believe defined Halo MP in the beginning). No doubt that if this is still in Infinite then players will use it to their advantage but generally speaking for every additive in the formula, there is also a drawback IE: sprint = shields dont recharge while doing so. There has to be or should be a balance within the game and with hitmarkers on grenades there is no such balance. Of course it could be argued that "if i use my grenade to locate enemies then I no longer have grenades to fight with"...this is a weak argument for its balance in comparison for the hitmarkers/the information they give and at that point your shields are down so the player could land 1 or 2 shots and take you out even if he misses 6-8 before the player can even get shots off down range.

The more i read on the hitmarkers given different posts the more I think it should be a feature which you can enable/disable to the users preference however, they do not belong on grenades.
WerepyreND wrote:
Forget thrust, if seeing at a distance is that impossible at 480p then BTB must have been unplayable even at CE's "plodding" speed, funny how 16 people crammed together on 4 different screens just to play a "blurry" game.
Ah. I remember the days of carrying my 68cm CRT TV to work so we could play some Halo CE LAN.

That damn thing took 2 people to carry!

Good times...

Quote:
Its a wonder shooters like Unreal Tournament were ever able to take in the 90s when the movement speed was even faster than Halo 5 with its own dodge and other movement mechanics to boot. Even if we were to accept the premise that Halo 5 style movement would be "blurry" and a subpar experience at 480p(which we know isn't true) a Halo game with 14 years of technological development behind it should be able to create much better visual feedback due to the higher fidelity and resolution even at higher speeds and at longer distances. You are just pulling excuses out of thin air at this point.
Maybe my 'excuses' are just subjective... but at distance, resolution, and with players zipping behind cover - it would be harder to see. So a hit-marker is a quick and consistent visual representation that I made a hit. Especially as we're not talking the Halo CE pistol here (that thing never missed).

Any effect you put in will be different across a spectrum of speeds and resolutions.

Halo Infinite, at 120fps and 1440p may be a different kettle of fish entirely.

Quote:
Its not a "glitch" its a deliberate design choice. A design choice that has been and is exploited by any halfway decent player to the detriment of the game as a whole. 343 gets to own their own choices and their consequences.
I imagined it was more of a design compromise as opposed to 'choice'. At the time it probably seemed like too much effort to adjust the programming to only show the hit marker if the enemy was actually visible. Maybe they didn't think it was going to be a problem going forward. But even though I like it, I am surprised they haven't patched it out by now.
Delta5931 wrote:
C0BALT237 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
C0BALT237 wrote:
For me, the one main thing I hated about the original games is the lack of hit and kill markers. they’re a necessity in all games at this point, not entirely sure why anyone could dislike them.
all they’d do is add to the game, why would you want them not in the game? It’s not like they change gameplay... at all...
First off, using Halo CE as an example is a poor choice. That game is not designed to be played competitively. Now, I've bolded those parts because they're basically complete fabrications in the context of Halo 2 and Halo 3, as well as Reach. In all three of those games, which are designed to be played competitively, shield flares are obvious when you're hitting your target as well as when you're doing health damage (blood splatter). Shields will also noticeably drop and the enemy will be covered in what look like little bolts of lightning when shields drop. There's also an audible noise when shields are depleted in Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo Reach that you can use at closer ranges to determine if shields are down. There's also flinching, that Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo Reach all use when you're doing damage to the opponent regardless of shield strength. Using your eyes and ears to determine if you're doing damage is an important skill that hitmarkers mask as being unimportant. The same argument that no one complained about hitmarkers in those games can be applied to Halo. I would argue that no one really wanted hitmarkers until 343 started making Call of Halo and slapped them in with reckless abandon.

Vehicles will noticeably have "dust" fly off of them and there's an audible noise when a vehicle is damaged past certain breakpoints. The idea that a new player would assume vehicles are invincible because they're using a weapon that's not designed to destroy vehicles (small arms) is laughable at best. I have never heard of this as a legitimate complaint from new players.

Now, for grenades. First, you can use your eyes to determine if your grenade has gone too far. Second, grenades will also make a noise when they explode as well as a slight visual disturbance when the grenade goes off. Third, the reason that hitmarkers being applied to grenades is something I'll criticize, is because they're being used less as "Flush out enemies" and more as "Are there enemies in there?" like a sort of sensor grenade. Someone else in this thread already pointed out that sticking out a grenade and staying around a corner lets you set up effective ambushes, even if the grenade does damage to you when there aren't hitmarkers. Hitmarkers also makes the motion tracker dramatically less important, because if the grenade detonates close enough to an opponent, you will see them on the motion tracker.
How convenient that Halo CE isn’t built competitively now even tho back then it kicked off Esports on console...

At distance, these cues that keep repeating don’t appear. At certain distances, shield flares don’t appear, the electricity doesn’t render, and flinch isn’t properly conveyed. “Dust appearing on a vehicle”, take a shot at any vehicle at range and tell me in all honesty if you can see much less hear anything coming from it. Noticeable dust disappears after 20m anything after that is hopeful dreaming.

In every halo there has been grenade spamming doesn’t matter if it’s a new player or a veteran. People have always chucked grenades around corners or down halls to check if someone is there, that isn’t an issue of hit markers. Again, unless you’re near the hallway, or corner, you won’t get a motion sensor trip, nor will you hear the sound of their shield bursting over the explosion of the grenade, it doesn’t matter how good of a player you are, unless you have wall hacks you are not getting any kind of indicator of wether your grenade hit or was wasted unless the person is sitting at the mouth of the hallway like a dip.
Doesn't this point also prove that if this is the case, then hit markers on grenades aren't necessary? People will do it regardless so rewarding them with a visual cue just for being lucky doesnt excuse the use of them. The fact is that hitmarkers on grenades isn't warranted. The idea of "flushing" an enemy out with a grenade would indicate that the player has knowledge of their movements and thus throws the grenade in such a way that the opposing player is FORCED to move into the tossers line of sight or in a way that is advantageous to the thrower/team. Rewarding dumb luck goes against rewarding good tactics/players/teams (which is what i believe defined Halo MP in the beginning). No doubt that if this is still in Infinite then players will use it to their advantage but generally speaking for every additive in the formula, there is also a drawback IE: sprint = shields dont recharge while doing so. There has to be or should be a balance within the game and with hitmarkers on grenades there is no such balance. Of course it could be argued that "if i use my grenade to locate enemies then I no longer have grenades to fight with"...this is a weak argument for its balance in comparison for the hitmarkers/the information they give and at that point your shields are down so the player could land 1 or 2 shots and take you out even if he misses 6-8 before the player can even get shots off down range.

The more i read on the hitmarkers given different posts the more I think it should be a feature which you can enable/disable to the users preference however, they do not belong on grenades.
I’m all for leaving them as an option to turn them on or off or just removing them from grenades. My problem is stemming from people using it as a means to bash hit markers in general or belittle people who want them added, grenade spam has always been a thing, just using the argument that hit markers are the reason for spam is incredibly weak to me.
Delta5931 wrote:
C0BALT237 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
C0BALT237 wrote:

I’m all for leaving them as an option to turn them on or off or just removing them from grenades. My problem is stemming from people using it as a means to bash hit markers in general or belittle people who want them added, grenade spam has always been a thing, just using the argument that hit markers are the reason for spam is incredibly weak to me.
oh i agree with you on that. my problem is the information attained by the hit markers. people have always spammed grenades since the beginning. seeing grenades fly through the air almost entices other teammates to do the same in fear that they may miss out on a group of enemies or an easy kill. ive started to lean away from removing them from multiplayer (gun hits are good, 'nade hits still very much against). I would say to remove them from campaign for the immersion factor and leave them in MP but even still the 'nade markers arent good.
Delta5931 wrote:
C0BALT237 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
C0BALT237 wrote:

I've never once viewed Halo CE as being a competitive game, partially because of the difficulty of online play on the original Xbox (i.e., non-existent for Halo CE) and because parts of it are strangely and annoyingly balanced. Like the Magnum and that the Sniper fires a relatively slow-moving projectile. I've always considered Halo 2 as the one that kicked off Halo's competitive phase.

I think you're vastly overestimating the distance of these things because I can see these things when we're in range of each other, and a little outside of it. The important part to note is "within range" because these tells only become obvious when you're close enough to be able to actually damage an opponent. Besides that, the only maps I can think of where these tells wouldn't be obvious, at least circa Halo 2 and Halo 3, would be BTB maps, which are designed for vehicle play and not ground play. As for vehicles, the model actively changes as it takes damage. The Banshee, for example, loses both of its stabilization wings when sufficiently damaged and eventually starts trailing blue "fire". The warthog loses various parts as it becomes damaged, and will eventually get set on fire when critically damaged. The Ghost loses it's "wings" as it becomes damaged and loses significant parts of its armor. There are tells for all of these vehicles when they're getting damaged. Of course, using the assault rifle isn't going to cause noticeable damage to vehicles, that's not the intention of the weapon.

People always do it, but adding hitmarkers causes the functional purpose of the grenade to shift. Whereas before it was for seeing if you could make anyone move to cause motion tracker pings or to get a lucky kill because of the kill radius, it now can be used to see if an enemy is around a corner. If your opponent takes even 1 point of Shield damage from a grenade, that gives you a hit marker ping and lets you know an enemy is there. And, actually, that's untrue. If the opponent is close enough to the grenade, they'll get some degree of knockback that will cause the Motion Tracker to register movement or they'll have the "That's a live grenade" fear and move, causing a motion tracker ping. People set up ambushes at the mouth of a door because that's the easiest place to do it on most maps, especially on straight corridors.
Delta5931 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
C0BALT237 wrote:
Delta5931 wrote:
C0BALT237 wrote:

I've never once viewed Halo CE as being a competitive game, partially because of the difficulty of online play on the original Xbox (i.e., non-existent for Halo CE) and because parts of it are strangely and annoyingly balanced. Like the Magnum and that the Sniper fires a relatively slow-moving projectile. I've always considered Halo 2 as the one that kicked off Halo's competitive phase.

I think you're vastly overestimating the distance of these things because I can see these things when we're in range of each other, and a little outside of it. The important part to note is "within range" because these tells only become obvious when you're close enough to be able to actually damage an opponent. Besides that, the only maps I can think of where these tells wouldn't be obvious, at least circa Halo 2 and Halo 3, would be BTB maps, which are designed for vehicle play and not ground play. As for vehicles, the model actively changes as it takes damage. The Banshee, for example, loses both of its stabilization wings when sufficiently damaged and eventually starts trailing blue "fire". The warthog loses various parts as it becomes damaged, and will eventually get set on fire when critically damaged. The Ghost loses it's "wings" as it becomes damaged and loses significant parts of its armor. There are tells for all of these vehicles when they're getting damaged. Of course, using the assault rifle isn't going to cause noticeable damage to vehicles, that's not the intention of the weapon.

People always do it, but adding hitmarkers causes the functional purpose of the grenade to shift. Whereas before it was for seeing if you could make anyone move to cause motion tracker pings or to get a lucky kill because of the kill radius, it now can be used to see if an enemy is around a corner. If your opponent takes even 1 point of Shield damage from a grenade, that gives you a hit marker ping and lets you know an enemy is there. And, actually, that's untrue. If the opponent is close enough to the grenade, they'll get some degree of knockback that will cause the Motion Tracker to register movement or they'll have the "That's a live grenade" fear and move, causing a motion tracker ping. People set up ambushes at the mouth of a door because that's the easiest place to do it on most maps, especially on straight corridors.
lol wut? Halo 2's balance is equal if not worse than CE's as the only viable weapon with some skill required is the BR, Sniper and Beam rifle
CE is easily the most quake-esk Halo game, and it shows as CE is very rewarding to play and beat down other players with ( when the game actually works, thanks gearbox ) and teamplay is absolutely essential as your teammate acts as a respawn anchor and can allow for predictable spawns on both sides.
Lol I leave home for a few days and look what happens XD.

The point of this forum isn’t about whether or not hitmarkers are a good addition to halo. It’s simply asking to have an option to disable them, I don’t know why any of you should care if someone has them disabled or enabled on their Xbox.

It’s not like you’re forced to play on someone else’s console/account, who cares what someone does with their settings?

I hate hitmarkers in halo, nobody will change my mind on that, I want a way to disable them. If you like them, then good :), go use it I really don’t care at all. Nobody’s changing anyone’s mind, it’s about the freedom to customize your game the way you want it. As a melding between classic and modern halo fans, we should be granted an option that satisfies both parties as 343 has been striving to do.

343 please give us the option to disable hitmarkers. As a fan of the Halo franchise for 20 years, I’d really love it if you’d take my input on this into consideration and even go as far as to implement this idea.
sniper945 wrote:
I didn't even notice the hit mark sounds, but now that I think about it they were there.

I think hit marks should be in multiplayer, not in campaign. it takes away the immersion big time for me. How does my armour know I killed that enemy? At least the simulations in multiplayer have a reason for it.
I think it boils down to having the option. I do hope to be able to toggle on and off. Off for immersion, on for scoring/speed runs. At this point 343 should know options are better than forcing ones that have half for half against.
i think that they don't just take away immersion, they are also kind of useless in halo bc we already had flashing shields. i believe they are just in the game, to be more in line with other shooters and make the game stand out less. i'd like to see them gone as well.

also i think they are stupid in every game, not just in halo
WSerg wrote:
i think that they don't just take away immersion, they are also kind of useless in halo bc we already had flashing shields. i believe they are just in the game, to be more in line with other shooters and make the game stand out less. i'd like to see them gone as well.

also i think they are stupid in every game, not just in halo
The problem is that 343 has been steadily removing the visual hitmarkers we're used to. Shield flaring is still there, but Halo 5 has no blood. So you can't tell you're actually hitting an unshielded target, regardless of range.
Honestly, I like them. You can hate on me all you want. I prefer reticle bloom and hit markers. I also like the noises when you hit someone from a distance. If you’ve play CoD then you’ll know what I mean.
Honestly, I like them. You can hate on me all you want. I prefer reticle bloom and hit markers. I also like the noises when you hit someone from a distance. If you’ve play CoD then you’ll know what I mean.
then why not go play COD instead? why would you want Halo to be just like another game?
then why not go play COD instead? why would you want Halo to be just like another game?
Because Halo is better. There are things I like about CoD. Like I said, you can hate on me all you want. But it won’t change my opinion.
Because Halo is better. There are things I like about CoD. Like I said, you can hate on me all you want. But it won’t change my opinion.
i think thats a perfectly fine thing to like hitmarkers (i don't, but thats personal preferences). i think hitmarkers are just one of the small things, 343i took from other games to make halo feel more like the other "popular" games. thats totally regardless if you like them or not. in the sum of all the small (and big) things 343i took from other games to feel more alike, made the games not feel like halo anymore to me.

I'm not saying some should or shouldn't like the new/old things. but i do believe it's a big part dew to the small changes, which brought the split of the fanbase
WSerg wrote:
i think thats a perfectly fine thing to like hitmarkers (i don't, but thats personal preferences). i think hitmarkers are just one of the small things, 343i took from other games to make halo feel more like the other "popular" games. thats totally regardless if you like them or not. in the sum of all the small (and big) things 343i took from other games to feel more alike, made the games not feel like halo anymore to me.

I'm not saying some should or shouldn't like the new/old things. but i do believe it's a big part dew to the small changes, which brought the split of the fanbase
I like your outlook on this. Even though the first FPS I played was Halo 2, I still prefer modern shooters. I like most things in CoD. But Halo is my main franchise. I’m a gamer. Not a Halo loyalist.
You can't really have them be optional. Any player with them on would be at a huge advantage. They shouldn't be there in the first place.
GRNT WRK wrote:
You can't really have them be optional. Any player with them on would be at a huge advantage. They shouldn't be there in the first place.
I think the people advocating for it understand that, but they just don’t really care lol. I’m in favor of hitmarkers, but I don’t see a harm in having a toggle feature as long as they’re turned on by default (so new players aren’t put at a disadvantage).
GRNT WRK wrote:
I think the people advocating for it understand that, but they just don’t really care lol. I’m in favor of hitmarkers, but I don’t see a harm in having a toggle feature as long as they’re turned on by default (so new players aren’t put at a disadvantage).
Then having them be optional is pointless. Everyone will just leave them on. They don't work in a game like Halo. You get visual feedback from shields. You also have a radar.
GRNT WRK wrote:
GRNT WRK wrote:
Then having them be optional is pointless. Everyone will just leave them on. They don't work in a game like Halo. You get visual feedback from shields. You also have a radar.
How does that mean they don’t work in a game like Halo? That’s like saying any other FPS doesn’t need them because of blood splatter.
GRNT WRK wrote:
GRNT WRK wrote:
How does that mean they don’t work in a game like Halo? That’s like saying any other FPS doesn’t need them because of blood splatter.
No it's not. You are already getting the visual feedback from having shields flare. You don't need to include hitmarkers. They also ruin grenades.
All this would do is shrink the skillgap. Halo doesn't need any more of that.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 5