Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

Hot take on the Bulldog

OP Luke Pawlowski

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I know that most people probably don't agree with me on this, but I am very excited about the introduction of the Bulldog. The last shotgun that has felt good to use in a Halo game was probably CE. There's just been something off about them, to the point where I think a "from the ground up" rebuild isn't such a bad idea. A faster firing, more consistent option could work really well. Think any ID shooter.

I understand the "change for change's sake" argument, but I don't think that this is that. The art design is in line with the newer, mixed, art style, and I do not think that it would look out of place in another Halo game. On top of that, it is functionality different. That was the problem with the shotty in 4 and 5.
People always have something to complain about. Halo 2 removed the Assault Rifle and added the SMG. Halo Infinite is going to title of longevity, a 10 year game. I believe the Halo Infinite Demo showcased a breath of fresh air into the Halo Sandbox with welcoming hands to prior content.
The Bulldog was really cool and I do not mind it as a limited time replacement for the classic shotgun.
That being said, Halo Infinite will surely add more guns and content to the sandbox including the classic shotgun later down the road. 343I did this similarly in Halo 5 with the CE Pistol and SPNKr.

All in all, go Bulldog.
I like it. Its new and looks fun to use.
I'm at the same place regarding the Bulldog. Honestly in terms of replacing long standing weapons, the bulldog is one of the least problematic additions since it is meant to fill a different space in the sandbox from the usual sandbox. Unlike say the Halo 5 rocket launcher which radically changed the design, but functionally it was just the same old rocket launcher without the iconic look.

And unlike the Sidekick, it doesn't look like a generic weapon you could find in any contemporary shooter let alone a sci-fi one. It isn't a CE-Reach era shotgun, but is certainly a step up from what we have had since 2012 so I don't really understand why everyone acting like the classic shotgun was only removed just now. Obviously they could have just as easily used this opportunity with the artstyle change to bring back the OG shotgun, but given their stated design goals with the shotgun, I think it makes more sense to have an entirely new design rather than see the OG boomstick's damage nerfed.

If people still want to see the OG shotgun come back, then it should come as DLC post launch. We don't need two UNSC shotguns bloating the size of the core sandbox.
I personally think it's a great addition and I can't wait to try it!
I have to see how it plays in multiplayer before I make any judgements.
Have we read the same article? From what I gathered, the Bulldog will function as an addition to the classic shotgun role. They say the Bulldog fills a role of quick to fire but reduced lethality, distinct from the insta-kill power of the classic shotgun. To me that sounded like there's room in the sandbox for a highly lethal close quarters weapon (maybe classic shotgun).
munk07 wrote:
People always have something to complain about. Halo 2 removed the Assault Rifle and added the SMG. Halo Infinite is going to title of longevity, a 10 year game. I believe the Halo Infinite Demo showcased a breath of fresh air into the Halo Sandbox with welcoming hands to prior content.
The Bulldog was really cool and I do not mind it as a limited time replacement for the classic shotgun.
That being said, Halo Infinite will surely add more guns and content to the sandbox including the classic shotgun later down the road. 343I did this similarly in Halo 5 with the CE Pistol and SPNKr.

All in all, go Bulldog.
Wait, i never played halo 2 and they removed ar? And then everyone complain about bulldog.
Wait, i never played halo 2 and they removed ar?
And it was a bad decision. Thats why they brought back the ar.
I’m excited for the bulldog to be honest. Since I saw it in the gameplay trailer I was very curious about it. Having the sandbox team finally open up and talk about their decision making with the bulldog was very interesting to hear about.

The fact that it fills a different role in the sandbox is what really peaks my interest. It opens up a new gameplay role we haven’t seen before.
Instead of the shotgun being your back pocket one hit wonder we now have a shotgun that can be used as a close range finished or a very up in your face style weapon where you can pop off multiple shots in quick succession.

I’m excited to get some hands on time with it that’s for sure.
WerepyreND wrote:
I'm at the same place regarding the Bulldog. Honestly in terms of replacing long standing weapons, the bulldog is one of the least problematic additions since it is meant to fill a different space in the sandbox from the usual sandbox. Unlike say the Halo 5 rocket launcher which radically changed the design, but functionally it was just the same old rocket launcher without the iconic look.

And unlike the Sidekick, it doesn't look like a generic weapon you could find in any contemporary shooter let alone a sci-fi one. It isn't a CE-Reach era shotgun, but is certainly a step up from what we have had since 2012 so I don't really understand why everyone acting like the classic shotgun was only removed just now. Obviously they could have just as easily used this opportunity with the artstyle change to bring back the OG shotgun, but given their stated design goals with the shotgun, I think it makes more sense to have an entirely new design rather than see the OG boomstick's damage nerfed.

If people still want to see the OG shotgun come back, then it should come as DLC post launch. We don't need two UNSC shotguns bloating the size of the core sandbox.
I agree with this a lot, and the sandbox article really encouraged me with how they are trying to remove bloat from the sandbox.
I agree with everything. I feel like the new pistol and shotgun will fit well in the sandbox. They would have kept the classic shotgun if it worked. Clearly, it didn't so they cut it out.
there still needs to be a slow firing power shotgun in my opinion. I am fine with the bulldog existing, but that for sure one shot close range kill is something the arena still needs
I dig the looks, I did the introduction of a new shotgun, but I don't like that it has to replace the old shotgun. Like you said it functions differently so I don't see why we couldn't have both types of shotgun. I don't think it's redundant if they behave differently and have even slightly different roles, which they do.

Also I would like it if they beefed up its sound design. I thought it was a little underwhelming in the demo. I know it's not supposed to sound crazy powerful but it just seemed too flat, I think they can do better.
While I like the old Shotgun, I have to say the Bulldog is really growing on me, it has a great look to it & it looks devastating up close
there should be two shotguns. the bulldog as a quasi primary weapon tier weapon that is more short ranged than an smg, and the tactical shotgun that hits hard but has longer intervals between shots (classic shotgun, maybe slightly stronger and more max range (with spread, so nearly no damage). basicly a balanced CE shotgun). Like Doom manages to habve two shotguns. a weaker but forgiving rapid shotgun, and a heavy hitting but more deliberate shotgun.

similarily the sidekick and magnum should coexist. the sidekick is a fast switch finisher witha decent fire rate, 6 shot kill. the magnum is slower too pull, fires slower, but has a scope and higher precision, 5 shot kill. the magnum kills faster with perfects, but the sidekick kills faster as soon as both miss a shot.
So both pistols have a role too. the sidekick and the handcannon.
They've already said there's gonna be other shotguns in the game. But they did say last July 2020 that "currently the Tactical Shotgun" didn't feature in infinite.
Now that may have changed since then but I wouldn't bet on it. Rather I think we'll see some other shotgun-like weapon such as the Scattershot or something completely new like a covenant style shotgun weapon kind of filling the role that the old shotgun may have, with the Bulldog taking a more all rounded but less powerful role.

Honestly, I'd be sad if the classic shotgun wasn't in the game (preferably the M90 as well and not the one we've had from Reach onwards), but given that theyre putting care into the weapon roles and the different aspects of the sandbox, I remain optimistic about the choices they've made wrt the shotguns.

Time will tell, and in any case I'm sure the classic shotty will eventually be in the game with an update later down the line.
I don't hate the Bulldog. It looks kinda fun to use honestly. I just think that it's different enough from the Shotgun that the two can co exist.
Bulldog: Higher RoF at less damage , Insta reload
Shotgun: Close range Insta kill with slower RoF and each shell needs to be loaded
Also
Sidekick: Close range, high RoF, no zoom, fast swap and reload(Gunfighter pistol)
Pistol: Has zoom, lower RoF, higher damage(traditional magnum)
So, to my unprofessional eye, there is room for both the old and new weapons to coexist. I haven't played Halo Infinite yet, so I don't know exactly how the new guns function. Thus, I'm holding on for final judgement. But i think y'all can see what I mean.
I know that most people probably don't agree with me on this, but I am very excited about the introduction of the Bulldog. The last shotgun that has felt good to use in a Halo game was probably CE. There's just been something off about them, to the point where I think a "from the ground up" rebuild isn't such a bad idea. A faster firing, more consistent option could work really well. Think any ID shooter.

I understand the "change for change's sake" argument, but I don't think that this is that. The art design is in line with the newer, mixed, art style, and I do not think that it would look out of place in another Halo game. On top of that, it is functionality different. That was the problem with the shotty in 4 and 5.
Im open minded to it. Especially since it is basically replacing the mauler IMO. The full pump power weapon shotgun will still be on certain maps, but this gun is much more interesting than that dinky mauler in halo 3 as a weaker shotgun. It looks very fun to use and thats all that matters.
I don't particularly care about the weapon itself. I just really don't like that it looks no different than a boring modern-day gun. And the sound design for it is probably terrible. I'll have to watch the gameplay demo again to confirm.

Im open minded to it. Especially since it is basically replacing the mauler IMO. The full pump power weapon shotgun will still be on certain maps, but this gun is much more interesting than that dinky mauler in halo 3 as a weaker shotgun. It looks very fun to use and thats all that matters.
If that is indeed the case, isn't this actually a bad thing? The Mauler had such an awesome unique design (in my opinion) and now it is replaced by this...this boring, generic looking gun? What makes it even worse is that this 'Bulldog' is a UNSC weapon. So, the UNSC already had a shotgun, a better one, yet they feel the need to replace it or add another one? And now the Brutes, and by extension the Covenant/Banished have lost their only shotgun weapon.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2