Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

How 343 can improve infinite

OP BonaFydeODST

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I've been to different boards/websites, asking Halo fans what are the issues with Halo infinite after seeing the gameplay reveal and what are the solutions to these issues.
This pretty much what they said:

• Polished Next gen Graphics.
  • Improve skybox. Have skybox look stunning like every other Halo game and not look like it was made in Microsoft Paint (which is not even an exaggeration). That would go a long way to improving graphics
  • Add more grit. Halo 3 has “stylised realism” according to Bungie so if they’re targeting classic art style they need to go for that. Scratches, dirt on guns etc. People liked the monster skins 343 showed because it seems to go in this direction more than the gun decals in the demo.
  • Brutes need to look intimidating and not something you want to hug. Make brutes look angry and intimidating like in Halo 3
  • Improve textures and lighting so it looks more like next gen (I think H2A cutscenes are peak Halo and they
  • should strive towards making those cutscene graphics actual gameplay in subsequent titles)
  • Improve audio for guns, grenades etc. - guns sound “squeaky” and samey atm. Halo 3 plasma grenade sound is best imo.
  • Actually have the content at launch that most people expect from a Halo game
  • Reassure fans about Infinite’s story
  • Avoid T rating. T rated flood would be absolute cringe. Blood splatter, grit (previously mentioned) is a part of this. People want to feel like a badass - that is part of Halo’s appeal.
  • Improve Phantom design
  • Add real Skyboxes and get rid of the 3D clouds.
  • Remove the hexagons, make real forests and mountains like the E3 2018 trailer instead of this brown stuff.
  • Add actual giant forerunner structures everywhere and not copypasted boring towers
  • Make the AA guns actual dynamic enemies which can attack you and can be destroyed completely.
  • more impactful Openworld mechanics. Wandering scarabs etc.
  • Make the banished look good, not like they're ripped straight outta halo wars 2's cartoon graphics.
Do agree with most of your points, graphically halo Infinte is looking like a huge mess.
Do agree with most of your points, graphically halo Infinte is looking like a huge mess.
yea it is but because it was delayed hopefully they can improve the graphics before launch.
Using the Unreal Engine should be on that list imo.
I pretty much can say I agree with all of these points 100%. I'd like to say one opinion though. I personally liked the actual rendered clouds with the realistic take on the skybox. It's gonna look plain during the day no matter what. You're not gonna see to much except clouds and just plain blue sky. Really wish we had a proper shot of what the ring looks like at night though. Then I can give an honest opinion on how I feel. Also, I don't know why I didn't realize this until now, but is Zeta Halo not currently orbiting any planet? If it is then that definately is something that should be visible in the skybox whether it's night or day.

My final note is this. The brown stuff you referred to with the mountains and forests. Are you talking about the hexagonal "minecraft" pillars everyones been talking about? If you are then I can pretty much reasure you that won't be something seen constantly in the game. Remember, theres only a small portion of the ring thats been destroyed. I'm sure we'll have plenty of environments to explore without them ruining the view so to speak. Lol
I pretty much can say I agree with all of these points 100%. I'd like to say one opinion though. I personally liked the actual rendered clouds with the realistic take on the skybox. It's gonna look plain during the day no matter what. You're not gonna see to much except clouds and just plain blue sky. Really wish we had a proper shot of what the ring looks like at night though. Then I can give an honest opinion on how I feel. Also, I don't know why I didn't realize this until now, but is Zeta Halo not currently orbiting any planet? If it is then that definately is something that should be visible in the skybox whether it's night or day.

My final note is this. The brown stuff you referred to with the mountains and forests. Are you talking about the hexagonal "minecraft" pillars everyones been talking about? If you are then I can pretty much reasure you that won't be something seen constantly in the game. Remember, theres only a small portion of the ring thats been destroyed. I'm sure we'll have plenty of environments to explore without them ruining the view so to speak. Lol
I personally would love to see what the ring looks like at night it would give us a better perspective of the detail they put into it the sky box. 343 have enough time to fix the sky for day and night I just hope they do fix it.
yes the hexagons, are those the same hexagins from Halo 4?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.
Spoiler:
Show
Make infinite a genuine halo game. Take out abilities and sprint especially for multiplayer. Halo 5 didn't feel or play like halo at all. It's just a generic shooter and 343 has the right to call it halo. Halo infinite looked too much like halo 5 and didn't look fun at all. I'd rather play titanfall or cod than h5 or infinite.
knick93 wrote:
Make infinite a genuine halo game. Take out abilities and sprint especially for multiplayer. Halo 5 didn't feel or play like halo at all. It's just a generic shooter and 343 has the right to call it halo. Halo infinite looked too much like halo 5 and didn't look fun at all. I'd rather play titanfall or cod than h5 or infinite.
I agree with everything but the last sentence, we haven't gotten a true Halo game since Halo 3 and 343 is making a big mistake not bringing Halo back to its roots.
Battle Royale
Bulldog and Sidekick
Shotgun
Tungsten is 1.7 times denser than lead and about 2.5 times denser than a typical steel.
tungsten carbide (TC) is one of the hardest materials in existence and substantially harder than titanium
Tungsten has a density of 0.70 lbs/in3. A cube of tungsten one inch on all sides would weigh 0.70 lbs – 1.74 times more than the same sized cube of lead
Per halopedia: the 8 gauge uses 0000 (.375" or 9.525 mm) buck shot out of a 3.75 shell and the total payload is about 3oz. This equals 29 TC buckshot. The M45I holds 12 rounds (6 per magazine tube) and is both pump and semi auto. You need to leave it in the game.
A 12 gauge 000 (.36" (9.1 mm) buckshot is about 1.5 oz. This equals 16 TC buckshot.
A 10 gauge, 3.5 shell, 000 count will be about 21 TC buckshot.
To say “Bulldog” is a pump-action shotgun that is punchy and decently accurate, trading slightly lower damage (12 gauge vs. 8 gauge) for a much higher rate of fire" is not accurate. The Bulldog needs to be a 10 gauge semi auto. Then the above statement is accurate.
Pistol
The sidekick likewise is a step backward. A recoil operated pistol (semi auto not a revolver) uses recoil lugs on the barrel that fit into corresponding recesses cut into the slide. You can't build a magnum with this style of construction as the slide will open allowing high pressure gas to escape out of the ejection port. a 45 caliber (.452 or .454) that is gas operated could be smaller than the M6 and deliver similar kinetic energy and penetration. Gas operated pistol keeps the breach locked longer than a recoil operated pistol.If you going to put new firearms into the game they should be built on as much real physics and ballistics as possible.
eviltedi wrote:
That would be awesome but they are already using slipspace and I dont know how complicated or easy it is to swap out the engines used.
I know. It's just a shame they didn't use Unreal imo. Especially after seeing the new unreal demo. What we saw at the 2018 slipspace demo and what we saw in the 2020 demo were totally different. 2018 engine demo = Nice, 2019 reveal = Ehhh, not sure about this, 2020 Demo = Wtf was that imo.

I would love to see Halo on the Unreal engine.
Bulldog and Sidekick
ShotgunTungsten is 1.7 times denser than lead and about 2.5 times denser than a typical steel.
tungsten carbide (TC) is one of the hardest materials in existence and substantially harder than titanium
Tungsten has a density of 0.70 lbs/in3. A cube of tungsten one inch on all sides would weigh 0.70 lbs – 1.74 times more than the same sized cube of leadPer halopedia: the 8 gauge uses 0000 (.375" or 9.525 mm) buck shot out of a 3.75 shell and the total payload is about 3oz. This equals 29 TC buckshot. The M45I holds 12 rounds (6 per magazine tube) and is both pump and semi auto. You need to leave it in the game.
A 12 gauge 000 (.36" (9.1 mm) buckshot is about 1.5 oz. This equals 16 TC buckshot.
A 10 gauge, 3.5 shell, 000 count will be about 21 TC buckshot.
To say “Bulldog” is a pump-action shotgun that is punchy and decently accurate, trading slightly lower damage (12 gauge vs. 8 gauge) for a much higher rate of fire" is not accurate. The Bulldog needs to be a 10 gauge semi auto. Then the above statement is accurate.
PistolThe sidekick likewise is a step backward. A recoil operated pistol (semi auto not a revolver) uses recoil lugs on the barrel that fit into corresponding recesses cut into the slide. You can't build a magnum with this style of construction as the slide will open allowing high pressure gas to escape out of the ejection port. a 45 caliber (.452 or .454) that is gas operated could be smaller than the M6 and deliver similar kinetic energy and penetration. Gas operated pistol keeps the breach locked longer than a recoil operated pistol.If you going to put new firearms into the game they should be built on as much real physics and ballistics as possible.
This would be awesome and will greatly improve the overall game.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
Spoiler:
Show
eviltedi wrote:
You do realize how monumental that task would be? We're talking around two years of development if not more.

Not to mention there is nothing wrong with the Slipspace engine from what we have seen. The gameplay demo that we saw needed polish for sure, but that's not the engine's fault.
I agree with pretty much all of this. What's with the "real sky boxes and no 3D clouds" thing though. What exactly does that mean?
eviltedi wrote:
You do realize how monumental that task would be? We're talking around two years of development if not more.

Not to mention there is nothing wrong with the Slipspace engine from what we have seen. The gameplay demo that we saw needed polish for sure, but that's not the engine's fault.
I know. I just wonder if we might already be playing Halo Infinite if they had used an existing engine, I used Unreal as that was the first I thought of. Not saying it will be better or worse than Slipspace, just thinking time wasted, or possibly wasted. Looking forward, I think it would be great to see Halo on Unreal, even an experimental demo.
I don't think there's anything wrong with going for a proprietary Halo engine- the stated goal w/ Slipspace was to make an engine that, while being faithful and true to the - Blam!- engine, would dramatically improve workability/modularity/versatility for more modern development, allowing for more frequent and substantial development to occur more easily. To me, this all sounds like a great idea.

Actual execution of the idea? As is being said here, the graphical polish (really the lack of graphical polish) on the Showcase Demo was rather arresting and alarming. Although we can't say for sure what factors ultimately led to the decision to delay, I think we can take some comfort in 343i feeling the proverbial coals underfoot regarding the myriad graphical complaints that issued as a result of the Showcase Demo, and that addressing these issues that've been so prominently brought to their attention would be high on their priority list.

I think it's reasonable to assume that the next time we see Infinite gameplay, there will have been many improvements graphically.
I agree with most of this, although I'd also like the phantoms to move more fluidly. Although it was just a demo, the way they moved in the gameplay trailer looked too robotic and scripted, but this'll probably be fixed by release.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3