Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

[Locked] How did Master Chief get his old armor style back?

OP RuthlesGreek

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I'm curious to hear what you guys think on how 343 will make the transition from this new and changed Halo armor from Halo 4 and Halo 5 to Halo Infinite's transition to the old armor style. I have a whole bunch of skepticism here and there about how maybe Chief had to change his armor because of his visor for one and maybe he couldn't get his hands on anything else. But that's just my guess and it's a pretty bland guess if you ask me. Let me know what you guys think and your thoughts in the comments, I would love to hear different theories and guesses from the rest of the community.
Could be a soft reboot
Something tells me that somewhere down the road, his current GEN2 armor could've been too costly to maintain (as ridiculous as that sounds) so he'd had to throw on an older Mark VI set to remain in the fight. Seems a bit strange going from his unique Mark VI GEN2 to a classic one, though...
Crash landed on a once occupied Halo ring and he damaged his armor in the process. During his exploration, he found some armor in an old storage bin at one of the abandoned UNSC sites.
HaXoR73 wrote:
Something tells me that somewhere down the road, his current GEN2 armor could've been too costly to maintain (as ridiculous as that sounds) so he'd had to throw on an older Mark VI set to remain in the fight. Seems a bit strange going from his unique Mark VI GEN2 to a classic one, though...
I like the idea that his armor broke and he had to go back to the “relics” of the spartan armor. Due to the pressure of current conflict.
The jump from old to new art style didn't exactly get a canonical explanation either (at least that I'm aware of) so I'm guessing they're transitioning back to old just because it's what the fans demand and they may not even offer an explanation. Personally though I never saw much more of a difference in art styles from Bungie's games to 343's, at least no more than I did jumping from CE to 2 to 3 to Reach which all had different art styles. What do I know though?
Nalla78 wrote:
HaXoR73 wrote:
Something tells me that somewhere down the road, his current GEN2 armor could've been too costly to maintain (as ridiculous as that sounds) so he'd had to throw on an older Mark VI set to remain in the fight. Seems a bit strange going from his unique Mark VI GEN2 to a classic one, though...
I like the idea that his armor broke and he had to go back to the “relics” of the spartan armor. Due to the pressure of current conflict.
Still, I hope that the GEN2 sets are a thing. It's true that most of the armors were awful, but there were some shining examples like Deadeye. Even better, I'd love to create a "franken-suit" with GEN1 and GEN2 armor bits mashed together; how awesome would that be?
HaXoR73 wrote:
Nalla78 wrote:
HaXoR73 wrote:
Something tells me that somewhere down the road, his current GEN2 armor could've been too costly to maintain (as ridiculous as that sounds) so he'd had to throw on an older Mark VI set to remain in the fight. Seems a bit strange going from his unique Mark VI GEN2 to a classic one, though...
I like the idea that his armor broke and he had to go back to the “relics” of the spartan armor. Due to the pressure of current conflict.
Still, I hope that the GEN2 sets are a thing. It's true that most of the armors were awful, but there were some shining examples like Deadeye. Even better, I'd love to create a "franken-suit" with GEN1 and GEN2 armor bits mashed together; how awesome would that be?
I’d say the art style matters. If the art style fits then it’ll be awesome but if the art style is bad then no one would be able to tell the difference.
I think it's a new suit altogether. There are differences between the helmet seen in the trailer and the classic Mark VI, so I think they'll be introducing a new set of armours, basically a GEN 3 or something along those lines.
Lock and the USNC are able to track and or remotely disable his new armor since he went AWOL so he steals some old tec from an old research station or something.
I think we've already been briefed on a possible rationale for Chief being in what appears to be classic MJOLNIR MK.VI. Take a look at the description for MK.V (Delta) in Halo 5:

Quote:
The Mark V Delta helmets are sourced from a cache of SPARTAN-II materials uncovered at the Seongnam Special Warfare Center and are compatible on the GEN2 platform. A few are even etched with the hand-carved ID number of Spartans long-since marked MIA.
Assuming Cortana still holds sizable control of the galaxy, that's going to prevent UNSC forces-in-exile from securing new equipment, so they'd be liable to scavenge what they could. Ideally, I'd like to see Chief in the MK.VI he's worn in H4/H5 and then swap out that armor for something procured from an abandoned base or what have you.
I think we've already been briefed on a possible rationale for Chief being in what appears to be classic MJOLNIR MK.VI. Take a look at the description for MK.V (Delta) in Halo 5:

Quote:
The Mark V Delta helmets are sourced from a cache of SPARTAN-II materials uncovered at the Seongnam Special Warfare Center and are compatible on the GEN2 platform. A few are even etched with the hand-carved ID number of Spartans long-since marked MIA.
Assuming Cortana still holds sizable control of the galaxy, that's going to prevent UNSC forces-in-exile from securing new equipment, so they'd be liable to scavenge what they could. Ideally, I'd like to see Chief in the MK.VI he's worn in H4/H5 and then swap out that armor for something procured from an abandoned base or what have you.
Yeah I like this idea especially with all other gen 1 armors in halo 5 having descriptions of coming back to use since their rediscovery or lack of resources because of the created.
I think we've already been briefed on a possible rationale for Chief being in what appears to be classic MJOLNIR MK.VI. Take a look at the description for MK.V (Delta) in Halo 5:

Quote:
The Mark V Delta helmets are sourced from a cache of SPARTAN-II materials uncovered at the Seongnam Special Warfare Center and are compatible on the GEN2 platform. A few are even etched with the hand-carved ID number of Spartans long-since marked MIA.
Assuming Cortana still holds sizable control of the galaxy, that's going to prevent UNSC forces-in-exile from securing new equipment, so they'd be liable to scavenge what they could. Ideally, I'd like to see Chief in the MK.VI he's worn in H4/H5 and then swap out that armor for something procured from an abandoned base or what have you.
Yeah I like this idea especially with all other gen 1 armors in halo 5 having descriptions of coming back to use since their rediscovery or lack of resourcesbecause of the created.
I mean, it makes sense. I don't buy the idea some people float that older stuff is somehow hardened against Created influence, after all nothing about the old stuff is going to resist something like a Guardians EMP or AIs like Cortana attempting to interface with it. It seems like a classic scaving operation in the face of enemy control of resources is the best way to go about it.
Why does everyone think his armor in halo 4 and 5 is new. It the same armor. Cortana mentions updating his armor while he is in cryo but they never actually explain the physical change it was always the same armor halo 4 and 5 just retconed how I looks.
badboy6295 wrote:
Why does everyone think his armor in halo 4 and 5 is new. It the same armor. Cortana mentions updating his armor while he is in cryo but they never actually explain the physical change it was always the same armor halo 4 and 5 just retconed how I looks.
Frank O'Connor said it was because of nanobots. And the Halo 4 Essential Guide explicitly says Cortana changed it and modeled it after a variant of Mk.IV.
Pretty sure the armour in Halo 4 is the same as Halo 2 and 3 lore wise, but it only looks different because of different graphics and updated models. Halo 5 the suit was replaced with a 2nd generation one.
I hope that in the campaign we start directly after halo 5 with the same 343 art style and do a couple of missions then cortana does something that traps Master Chief and other UNSC forces on a Halo ring and they have to use older equipment or something.
The groups of Spartans in Halo 4's opening cutscene, which takes place decades earlier, all have the Gen2 suits.

343 didn't bother providing any kind of story explanation for this, they just made the excuse that they didn't have time to create a different model for the suits the younger Spartan IIs would have been wearing.
The groups of Spartans in Halo 4's opening cutscene, which takes place decades earlier, all have the Gen2 suits.

343 didn't bother providing any kind of story explanation for this, they just made the excuse that they didn't have time to create a different model for the suits the younger Spartan IIs would have been wearing.
That was just a variant of MK.IV MJOLNIR armor.
The groups of Spartans in Halo 4's opening cutscene, which takes place decades earlier, all have the Gen2 suits.

343 didn't bother providing any kind of story explanation for this, they just made the excuse that they didn't have time to create a different model for the suits the younger Spartan IIs would have been wearing.
That was just a variant of MK.IV MJOLNIR armor.
A "variant of Mk. IV" should look at least somewhat similar to the Mk. IV armor from Halo Wars.
No, the armor in that cutscene is the exact same armor that Chief wears in Halo 4. I don't mean to harshly criticize 343 here but the use of that armor in that cutscene was a matter of time constraints and cutting corners, where they decided that explaining it wasn't really important.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3