Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

[Locked] How did Master Chief get his old armor style back?

OP RuthlesGreek

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
They've already given us an explanation. It's just an art style change. You can find the quote here. Pretty much the same thing happened from Halo 3 to 4. Chief's armor, the guns, and the enemies all looked different with no explanation. I think they're just shifting to a more classic style because that seems to be what most people (myself included) want.

Never thought 343i's style was bad, just prefered Bungie's.
DC 409871 wrote:
The groups of Spartans in Halo 4's opening cutscene, which takes place decades earlier, all have the Gen2 suits.

343 didn't bother providing any kind of story explanation for this, they just made the excuse that they didn't have time to create a different model for the suits the younger Spartan IIs would have been wearing.
That was just a variant of MK.IV MJOLNIR armor.
A "variant of Mk. IV" should look at least somewhat similar to the Mk. IV armor from Halo Wars.
No, the armor in that cutscene is the exact same armor that Chief wears in Halo 4. I don't mean to harshly criticize 343 here but the use of that armor in that cutscene was a matter of time constraints and cutting corners, where they decided that explaining it wasn't really important.
I'm not saying it wasn't an after-the-fact way to explain it, but that is the canonical reason.
Hopefully with the design change for the campaign we'll finally get the Chief's 4/5 style armour in multiplayer.
Honestly, who cares? Not everything has to have a convoluted explanation in order to fit cannon, you just end up with a messy story if you try and canonize everything. Prime example of this is the Zelda series.
same way he changed his armor in halo 4 out of nowhere
Since the old one had cracked helmet and all, he probably gets new gen 2 armor that happens to look like the old one.
Maybe the Spirit of Fire makes an appearance and Chief gets on board and needs to change suits because his H5 one is all beat up and considering the SoF has old equipment and vehicles he gets an old style suit.
Probably just decided it's time for a new suit or it's because his old modified suit reminds him too much of Cortana. Chief being the guy that he is probably prefers the classics and just suits up in a Mark VI Gen 1 updated to be compatible with Gen 2 like the suits in H5 MP.
It could be a remake of the first halo as the classic armor appeared in the trailer
Could be because he's actually working with the spirit of fire
Juhox7751 wrote:
Since the old one had cracked helmet and all, he probably gets new gen 2 armor that happens to look like the old one.
This is a pretty new theory, but they would be spending more money on getting him a full set rather than just getting him a helmet. And spending money where it's not needed is a no no for the UNSC.
It could be a remake of the first halo as the classic armor appeared in the trailer
The classic armor is Mark V, not Mark VI.
I'm curious to hear what you guys think on how 343 will make the transition from this new and changed Halo armor from Halo 4 and Halo 5 to Halo Infinite's transition to the old armor style. I have a whole bunch of skepticism here and there about how maybe Chief had to change his armor because of his visor for one and maybe he couldn't get his hands on anything else. But that's just my guess and it's a pretty bland guess if you ask me. Let me know what you guys think and your thoughts in the comments, I would love to hear different theories and guesses from the rest of the community.
The same way they explained Chief's armor change in Halo 4; A Twitter post talking about nanobots.
Halsey believes his current GEN II model to be inferior to her capabilities and manufactures a MK VIII suit superior to the other GEN II models which resembles her original designs.
Here's a probably unlikely guess considering 343i are huge lore freaks; there is no story reason has old armour. It's a simple art style change. 343i said that their new art style is a culmination of what they think are the best parts from all the past games. For example Chief's armour and those marines were clearly classic inspired, while the warthog and those spire things looked more modern inspired.

So part of me thinks it's just an art style change with no lore reasoning tied to it, but then the other part of me remembers that 343i ties EVERYTHING to lore if they can so that would be kind of odd, but hey, maybe 343i is turning a new leaf, not just in art style but their game design philosophy, which they also hinted at.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Crash landed on a once occupied Halo ring and he damaged his armor in the process. During his exploration, he found some armor in an old storage bin at one of the abandoned UNSC sites.
i am sort of thinking this could happen i also like the idea!
I'm curious to hear what you guys think on how 343 will make the transition from this new and changed Halo armor from Halo 4 and Halo 5 to Halo Infinite's transition to the old armor style. I have a whole bunch of skepticism here and there about how maybe Chief had to change his armor because of his visor for one and maybe he couldn't get his hands on anything else. But that's just my guess and it's a pretty bland guess if you ask me. Let me know what you guys think and your thoughts in the comments, I would love to hear different theories and guesses from the rest of the community.
I suspect it's because they had spare armour hanging around or maybe they replicate them using their Engineer's (Aliens from Odst) with blueprints but I think it's more of a ret-con of 343i Halo 5 'nanobot's' excuse.
I believe Cortana modified his armor from halo 3 to halo 4 (he wakes up says you've been busy while looking at his new armor.. well his arms.) nanotech in the suit allows it to evolve and change and she controlled them while John was in cryo.

This could explain halo 2 to 3 as well, nanotech slightly modified the armor during downtime either aboard the covenant forerunner ship or while his suit was locked up before Johnson found him.

My biggest concern with the art style change is the other Spartans. Will only 117 have the old style armor? What about the other spartan 4s? What about the rest of blue team? Osiris? You can't just have tons of Mark 4 looking Spartans running around.. The armor distinguishes these characters from one another and I feel like it will ruin the game.. I'd like for the game to explain how the suit changed as well.. There's a lot of good theories/ suggestions others have already posted from the armor breaking to Halsey making a new set. Honestly, I'd prefer if this armor was new/better and somehow with all the resources they could only make 1. (this would also fix the other issue with everyone having the same armor.) I didn't like the squad-based campaign of halo 5 at first but then it grew on me like the campaign in halo reach. I would prefer they kept blue team and fireteam Osiris in the game. kind of like how they integrated the arbiter into halo 3.

Whatever lies ahead for halo I hope 343i does a good job, and personally, I think they will. They're really listening to the community and I think they have made some good halo games.
QuinnGTL wrote:
I believe Cortana modified his armor from halo 3 to halo 4 (he wakes up says you've been busy while looking at his new armor.. well his arms.) nanotech in the suit allows it to evolve and change and she controlled them while John was in cryo.

I know this might sound weird but I kind of hard time believing what 343i claimed about this. It still wouldn't add up to how she found nanonites hanging around when the ship was barely functioning when it was ripped apart or how they got on the Chief's suit or how the ship got a complete redesign and yet in all that time couldn't fill the massive hole on the end of the ship (Forward Unto Dawn) but even if this was true then every equipment on the Infinity could be compromised by Cortana's nano-tech. The only counter to this probably would be a wide system shutdown and some sort of mass emp, then rebuild new armour without the advancements, which is probably why fell back to an earlier model that probably wasn't as compatible, probably more resistance to Cortana's ability to knock out worlds systems.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3