Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

How do devs plan to combat hackers in the new Halo

OP GAABBE

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Because if it's anything like MCC I won't bother picking it up. I saw the trailer, got really hyped, then opened MCC. There is no report function, there is no block function to hope not to get matched with the hacker in the future. There's nothing to combat cheating AT ALL in MCC and it's sad to see. I was really excited for Halo to make a comeback but it seems to just fall flat.
I really hope that doesn’t happen.
well, given that Infinite will be Free to Play on pc cheaters and hackers are inevitable unfortunately. I'm sure they'll have some report function in the game though
Bask in the warmth of a lawless land B)
well, given that Infinite will be Free to Play on pc cheaters and hackers are inevitable unfortunately. I'm sure they'll have some report function in the game though
Report could only do so much when it comes to countering cheaters. Some cheaters absolutely will be banned from reporting, but sometimes that isn't enough with big enough titles. A solid anti-cheat system would prove to be much better than just a reporting system.

Infinite being FTP on PC is basically asking for hackers to walk in the front door. There isn't any barrier for entry, so cheating most likely can go without consequence(assuming a cheater uses different, alt accounts and switches them when they get banned), a problem other free to plays tolerate. Whether or not there's specifically an anti-cheat or a reporting system, they have to have something to defense against cheaters, otherwise chances are Infinite could end up looking like the disaster some ex-Microsoft company that may or may not have worked on Halo in the past faced when introducing competitive PvP gamemodes.
Doesn’t mcc on pc have anti cheat software embedded in the game? Pretty sure infinite will as well
Report could only do so much when it comes to countering cheaters. Some cheaters absolutely will be banned from reporting, but sometimes that isn't enough with big enough titles. A solid anti-cheat system would prove to be much better than just a reporting system.

Infinite being FTP on PC is basically asking for hackers to walk in the front door. There isn't any barrier for entry, so cheating most likely can go without consequence(assuming a cheater uses different, alt accounts and switches them when they get banned), a problem other free to plays tolerate. Whether or not there's specifically an anti-cheat or a reporting system, they have to have something to defense against cheaters, otherwise chances are Infinite could end up looking like the disaster some ex-Microsoft company that may or may not have worked on Halo in the past faced when introducing competitive PvP gamemodes.
I could see them putting them into a "cheaters pool" and have all of them play together, that seems like the popular method these days. If they do that let's hope it's more successful than Fall Guys' attempt.
Doesn’t mcc on pc have anti cheat software embedded in the game? Pretty sure infinite will as well
Easy anti cheat only goes so far, you can buy hacks on the web and have an aimbot on PC that’s completely undetectable. Smart hackers will be cautious with them and it would be impossible to tell the difference between a skilled player vs cheater.
the fact that this is free-to-play makes me worried, as ftp games are usually playgrounds for cheaters. Just look at COD Warzone and Fortnite. The worst part is that they can just make a new account and continue cheating, and the main reason why paid games have less cheaters is because if you get banned, you have to make a new account and get a new copy of the game in order to continue cheating. Please introduce a report system of some kind.
I'd like there to be a reputation system of some sort. The more games you play, and don't get reported for cheating, the more trustworthy your account (or IP address) is.

This could suck for first-time players, who don't have a reputation yet, and have a first-match experience with cheaters, but at least it would clump the obvious cheaters together and keep the game's core population relatively safe.

I'd also appreciate IP bans for kids who download cheats but don't use a VPN. (Can i say that?) Free-to-play games cannot rely on account bans to stop the flood of cheaters. If they're doing high-player-count gamemodes (BR or whatever), a single cheater can ruin the match for 99 (or whatever) other players.

This system could be expanded for other purposes (such as clumping toxic players together), but this is probably not the correct thread for that discussion.

An easy/intuitive reporting system would be essential, no matter what system they adopt behind the scenes. I think on Xbox it's easy enough to report their XBL account, and XBL/console bans could be pretty effective, but they've gotta adapt for the PC market.
D1LLYBEAN wrote:
I'd like there to be a reputation system of some sort. The more games you play, and don't get reported for cheating, the more trustworthy your account (or IP address) is.

This could suck for first-time players, who don't have a reputation yet, and have a first-match experience with cheaters, but at least it would clump the obvious cheaters together and keep the game's core population relatively safe.

I'd also appreciate IP bans for kids who download cheats but don't use a VPN. (Can i say that?) Free-to-play games cannot rely on account bans to stop the flood of cheaters. If they're doing high-player-count gamemodes (BR or whatever), a single cheater can ruin the match for 99 (or whatever) other players.

This system could be expanded for other purposes (such as clumping toxic players together), but this is probably not the correct thread for that discussion.

An easy/intuitive reporting system would be essential, no matter what system they adopt behind the scenes. I think on Xbox it's easy enough to report their XBL account, and XBL/console bans could be pretty effective, but they've gotta adapt for the PC market.
I was going to say the same thing. However those same people who find ways to cheat to begin with will probably just find another way around it as well (bouncing the IP address multiple times). Similar to how felons arent supposed to "have" guns but still find a way to get them.
Great question.I really hope they get on top of this. I want to play without cheaters so badly.
Not allowing Crossplay is all you have to do.
GAABBE wrote:
Because if it's anything like MCC I won't bother picking it up. I saw the trailer, got really hyped, then opened MCC. There is no report function, there is no block function to hope not to get matched with the hacker in the future. There's nothing to combat cheating AT ALL in MCC and it's sad to see. I was really excited for Halo to make a comeback but it seems to just fall flat.
They will probably use "Easy Anti-cheat" as that is what they used for MCC on PC which is a relatively good anti cheat and stops most hackers and they will probably have a manual report system as well which should stop most .
i hope on xbox we'll be able to turn off crossplay
Sadly as long as websites like "unknown cheats" still exist online, i don't see cheating getting any less of problem. Now if websites like that could be shutdown somehow, cheating might take a dip, there's probably many other cheat websites out there but that one seems to be a big problem.

Why can't some of the big name devs / companies come together and shutdown cheating websites in some new anti cheating campaign or something?

Keep banning individual players, but go after the sources.
I am keeping my expectations low. I would love to follow the line of logic that MS being a giant billion dollar software company that owns their own worldwide spanning server infrastructure, Id hope that they could keep cheaters at bay. But something tells me there is going to be a disaster on the PC front at the very least. Reason I think this is the PC side of f2p games are where most of the cheaters go due to how easy it is to make new accounts and keep playing.

In that event i'll just disable cross play since console typically has severely less cheating due to repeated bans leading to console / ip bans not to mention needing to buy gold every time a ban happens. There will be disproportionately less cheating on console infinite compared to pc just like cod / fortnite. Even if 343 fails to put options to disable cross play for infinite at launch(idk why they would since they almost have it in MCC), its easy to block matchmaking from other platforms at the account level in the xbox privacy options thankfully.
I'll never understand people who cheat in online games, they ruin the enjoyment of everyone else and gain nothing out of it as they have no real skill or they wouldn't be cheating. You aren't the real number 1 player if you use cheats, simple as that.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Wouldn’t console bans work then? Banning consoles would make it pretty expensive for people who keep cheating to constantly have to buy new consoles
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2