Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

How many diffrent type of Grenades?

OP Marinealver

So the number of grenades have been mostly standard to the two the human frag and the covenant plasma. In halo 3 they added in two new ones, the brute spike grenade and a firebomb grenade (to go with the flamethrower effects). In reach they went back down and in Halo 4/5 the number was brought up to 3 with the promethean grenade.

So weapons has always been the same only 2, occasionally with 3 if you count dual wielding or holding a heavy weapon, but with grenades all types were always available. The one thing I see with having more than two grenades is getting the grenades mixed up and throwing whatever grenade you have selected at the time. That being said I do want to see more than just two types of grenades. I think they could add in some sort of grenade swap much like they have with weapons. That way you could have all 5 grenades that have been in halo (or even add some more).

So what do you think about grenades, how many different types and how many grenades should you be able to carry?
Ideally I think 4 different types with two grenades per type is the sweet spot. We still get 8 grenades total but provided they perform differently enough from one another that it would be ineffective to mindlessly spam them.

A grenade swap could be be an option but in that scenario I would want 2 sets of 4 grenades with the ability to hold the switch grenade button to swap. That being said though, I still think carrying a more limited number of 4 different types of grenades would ultimately be a bit more interesting.
I loved the incendiary grenade from H3 and would love to see ot back.
I think Infinite can hit a sweet spot with four grenade types where you can carry two of each:
  • Fragmentation
  • Plasma
  • Incendiary
  • Promethean (H5 iteration)
I left the Spike grenade out because it felt like a poor man's version of the plasma grenade.
I think Infinite can hit a sweet spot with four grenade types where you can carry two of each:
  • Fragmentation
  • Plasma
  • Incendiary
I left the Spike grenade out because it felt like a poor man's version of the plasma grenade.
Lol poor man's plasma grenade.

I don't really like the Promethean grenades. They don't really work that well. I would rather just see Frag, Plasma, and maybe Incendiary if the Flood are in the game.
  • Fragmentation
  • Plasma
  • Incendiary

I don't really like the Promethean grenades. They don't really work that well. I would rather just see Frag, Plasma, and maybe Incendiary if the Flood are in the game.
Yeah the Promethean grenades only work when you hit someone directly, or to block an entrance or walkway, so I wouldn't care much if they don't return next game.
  • Fragmentation
  • Plasma
  • Incendiary

Another thing that brought the idea of grenades to mind is well I really can't discuss it on here but just look it up on Google as you'll find other types of grenades made by community members also an idea floating around that could be used in place of grenades such as a claymore which detonates via proximity or after a certain time much like the H3 mine. But with more grenades being carried means you get a new inventory problem. I didn't like the 2 grenades of 4 types very much as I find myself often over selecting the type of grenade I wanted to throw. (throwing a frag when I wanted to throw a sticky). I mean we've all done this even in a two grenade setting but it seems to be compounded in the 4 grenade type set up. Watching other streams I often see players just throwing a grenade and not bother about which grenade they select.

So far I see we want more grenade types than fewer. So I think ranking in we have from what is preferred.
  1. 2 type inventory with swapping different types of grenades
  2. 4 type inventory with 2 grenades each (Halo 3, H3: ODST)
  3. 3 type inventory with 3 grenades each (Halo 4 and 5)
  4. 2 type inventory with 4 grenades each (Halo, Halo 2, and Halo Reach)
kjbart wrote:
I loved the incendiary grenade from H3 and would love to see ot back.
Indeed however they were purposely excluded from multiplayer along with the Fuel Rod Cannon because the net code would flip out (found that out during a forge map design contest). So Halo 3 Multiplayer was almost entirely a 3 grenade type system.
Yes, each nade should serve an unique function. Frags/plasmas were general purpose. Agreed about spikes being a poor man's plasma, more anti-infantry than anti-vehicle. Spikes could be stuck to walls and the ceiling to ambush enemies in a limited sense. They also ripped to shreds whoever was inside a bubble shield. Firebombs were great for dealing with popcorn and pure forms and for blocking paths.

The inner Batman fan in me would be personally overjoyed to find a smoke nade in the campaign, which would disorientate organic enemies unlike the Flare (which only seemed to effect marines and factory workers).

kjbart wrote:
Yeah the Promethean grenades only work when you hit someone directly, or to block an entrance or walkway, so I wouldn't care much if they don't return next game.
In H4, I found the Promethean nades helpful for stunning enemies (Knights, Elites), but otherwise it wasn't that different from the Power Drain/Firebomb nade.
Yes, each nade should serve an unique function. Frags/plasmas were general purpose. Agreed about spikes being a poor man's plasma, more anti-infantry than anti-vehicle. Spikes could be stuck to walls and the ceiling to ambush enemies in a limited sense. They also ripped to shreds whoever was inside a bubble shield. Firebombs were great for dealing with popcorn and pure forms and for blocking paths.

The inner Batman fan in me would be personally overjoyed to find a smoke nade in the campaign, which would disorientate organic enemies unlike the Flare (which only seemed to effect marines and factory workers).

kjbart wrote:
In H4, I found the Promethean nades helpful for stunning enemies (Knights, Elites), but otherwise it wasn't that different from the Power Drain/Firebomb nade.
I found the Promethean grenade absolutely useless in H4. I think that's why 343 changed it in H5 as a lot of people found it didn't do much.
Yeah, I think less is more when it comes to grenades. I like the 4 grenades of 2 different types.
Yeah, I think less is more when it comes to grenades. I like the 4 grenades of 2 different types.
Yeah I am more of the opposite, .
I prefer 2 grenade system but want more than 2 grenade types.

But given between the choice of 2 grenades of 4 types or 4 grenades of only 2 types I would pick the latter just because it reduces the chance of a miss throw (throwing the wrong grenade). Maybe 3 would be better but then you start getting into inventory selection mistakes.
What about frags, plasma, incendiary, and smoke/gas; 2 each?

This cuts out the more or less useless ‘nades and adds something fresh for both multiplayer (smoke concealment) and campaign (concealment and gas damages breathing enemies). The fact that grunts and spartans would be immune to the poison gas is cool, too.

As long as the smoke cloud size is reasonable and the smoke and incendiary are uncommon on maps, I think this could be great. Ooooooooo what if you could light the gas on fire with a gas and incendiary combo? That would be sweeeeeeeeet!
What about frags, plasma, incendiary, and smoke/gas; 2 each?

This cuts out the more or less useless ‘nades and adds something fresh for both multiplayer (smoke concealment) and campaign (concealment and gas damages breathing enemies). The fact that grunts and spartans would be immune to the poison gas is cool, too.

As long as the smoke cloud size is reasonable and the smoke and incendiary are uncommon on maps, I think this could be great. Ooooooooo what if you could light the gas on fire with a gas and incendiary combo? That would be sweeeeeeeeet!
Well I think right now all grenades have to do damage, so a smoke grenade might not make it but a gas grenade could.

Now how to make a gas grenade do damage? Sounds like a flood grenade to me (if the flood made weapons).