Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

How many missions are you expecting?

OP ChickenRAAMen

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I wanted to add a poll, but I haven’t posted in years and can’t seem to figure that out.

Please don’t say the obvious “however many they need to tell the story”. I know they’ve been busy creating the new engine on top of Infinite itself, but I really hope they have a lot of missions. I was a little disappointed that H4 only had eight, and H5 reusing Arbiter’s Camp for a second guns-down mission was just incredibly lame (why not have one on Genesis with Blue Team?).

Five years is a long time between Halo FPS releases. Seems like plenty of time to have a longer campaign. I think there should be at least fifteen that include gameplay. I’m open to more guns-down/exploration missions as long as there’s deep lore to be found (terminals, not H5-style intel) and interesting dialogue between characters.

Your thoughts, Waypoint?
I wanted to add a poll, but I haven’t posted in years and can’t seem to figure that out.

Please don’t say the obvious “however many they need to tell the story”. I know they’ve been busy creating the new engine on top of Infinite itself, but I really hope they have a lot of missions. I was a little disappointed that H4 only had eight, and H5 reusing Arbiter’s Camp for a second guns-down mission was just incredibly lame (why not have one on Genesis with Blue Team?).

Five years is a long time between Halo FPS releases. Seems like plenty of time to have a longer campaign. I think there should be at least fifteen that include gameplay. I’m open to more guns-down/exploration missions as long as there’s deep lore to be found (terminals, not H5-style intel) and interesting dialogue between characters.

Your thoughts, Waypoint?
If 343 do continue inserting guns-down parts to the game, I'd definitely like to see them integrated into bigger missions rather than be completely separate like in Halo 5.

That being said, I could see this being a 15 mission game as well, and these guns-down section should have move the plot forward more than just being places to find small Intel- as you say, terminals with a deep lore dive would be good!
Yeah, I’m not even opposed to audio logs, but some of them were just stupid in H5. That Builder just saying Bastion over and over was just a waste of time. I’m guessing they had a certain number of intel items and were close enough to 117 that they decided to pad it out to reach that fun little number (for obvious reasons).
As long or longer than Halo 2.
I'm expecting something about 10 - 15 missions since that's the usual length they go for, I just rather have quality missions then quantity.
I think we can expect to see about 20 or 30 missions in the upcoming Halo Infinite.
Please don’t say the obvious “however many they need to tell the story”.
What else can I say? Building a mission-based campaign for a game doesn't start with the question "how many missions will we have?" It starts with an idea for a story, and a script. In that process you naturally end up with a set of locations for the story that partially determine your mission structure. Of course, in a video game, technical and gameplay considerations come into play. But that is only more reason why "how many missions?" doesn't make sense.

It is likely that we will end up with a traditional amount of missions in the 10 to 15 range, but there is no reason why, say, 5 longish missions couldn't be a more natural option in some scenario.

Even the whole notion of using length as a benchmark is pointless. A well designed mission has a set of well-motivated objectives you need to reach, and a set of challenges the player faces to complete those objectives. If you make the player jump through too many hoops to complete an objective, or make the challenges too time consuming, you risk boring the player. If you give the player too many objectives, they easily become unmotivated. So, again, the runtime is largely motivated by gameplay pacing and story progression, not the other way around.
I’m guessing either 10 or 12 missions.
I myself am hoping the open world rumours are true. If it’s open world, then we won’t have the traditional set of mission. How I’d do it is split the map into three or four separate zones, each with their own biome, and unlocking one by one after certain objectives are complete. I’d have each zone have 2-3 big objectives that progress the story and around 5-6 side objectives. That’s just how I’d do things though...

I do also very much agree with tsassi however, though I would say that the time it takes to go through the story is also rather important to properly ground the story beats.

All in all, my ideal completion time would be 15-20 hours to go through the main story and do the side missions. That way we get a good deal of time to develop the story and flesh out the characters, and not have it feel rushed and characters arcs feel forced. Not to say that the previous games’ stories didn’t feel developed, being only 5-10 hours long, they where very well paced, I just feel we could get so much more from an extra few hours.
tsassi wrote:
Please don’t say the obvious “however many they need to tell the story”.
What else can I say? Building a mission-based campaign for a game doesn't start with the question "how many missions will we have?" It starts with an idea for a story, and a script. In that process you naturally end up with a set of locations for the story that partially determine your mission structure. Of course, in a video game, technical and gameplay considerations come into play. But that is only more reason why "how many missions?" doesn't make sense.

It is likely that we will end up with a traditional amount of missions in the 10 to 15 range, but there is no reason why, say, 5 longish missions couldn't be a more natural option in some scenario.

Even the whole notion of using length as a benchmark is pointless. A well designed mission has a set of well-motivated objectives you need to reach, and a set of challenges the player faces to complete those objectives. If you make the player jump through too many hoops to complete an objective, or make the challenges too time consuming, you risk boring the player. If you give the player too many objectives, they easily become unmotivated. So, again, the runtime is largely motivated by gameplay pacing and story progression, not the other way around.
What a long-winded way to say, “Look how smart I think I am!”

Maybe just stick with your second paragraph next time. If there were only five, what do they play/look like in your head?
I think will have around 15 missions. I dont think it will be an open world game but I think it will have large playable areas in many of the missions, and maybe feel like an open world game in some ways. Probably similar to Jedi Fallen order as far as the world's go. There will definitely be a lot of exploration involved which has already been pretty much confirmed, but there has not really been much said to make me think it will actually be open world.
15 missions for the most. Halo 5 had that many and it had a decent length despite John only being playable in 3 of them.
I think 15 to 20
What a long-winded way to say, “Look how smart I think I am!”
Well, that's not very nice thing to say. I'm sorry you feel that way.
As long or longer than Halo 2.
yeah i agree
It will probably be 10-15 missions long, as is the standard for most Halo games (even the Halo Wars games follow this example). However, the main thing I'm concerned with is mission length and structure.

Halo 3 had one of the shortest campaigns in the franchise, but definitely one of the tightest and most well-structured. Halo 3 has some of the best missions of the whole franchise; The Storm, The Ark and the Covenant are all excellent, with a great sense of scale and plenty of options for combat in all of them, not to mention the excellent soundtrack to accompany them.

All this said, though Halo 3 does have its issues, such as the Cortana/Gravemind moments, but the biggest issue it has comes in the form of possibly the WORST level in the entire franchise (so far... ): Cortana. For most players, myself included, this level is the one sour grape that spoils an otherwise excellent bunch. Cortana embodies everything that can go wrong with designing a Halo level: very little room to maneuver; confusing to navigate; the absolute UGLIEST aesthetic of the whole franchise (rectum doors are not nice to look at); overloaded with very aggressive enemies that provide very little breathing room; WAY too many Cortana/Gravemind moments. It's an object lesson in how not to design a Halo level.

As long as Infinite has more of The Storm and less of Cortana (the level), it doesn't really matter to me how long the campaign is. Heck, I'd be fine with a 6-mission campaign if they were well-designed and told the story well.
I would say that 10 actual levels would be a reasonable length for a Halo campaign. I don't count guns down levels or levels like H2's armory
12 or more would be fantastic especially if they're substantially sized and proper missions. I personally didn't like the missions from Halo 5 where you had to simply walk around so I hope they don't do that again
I would like a real campaign focus, with 20-25 missions. But realistically, I expect around 15 decent length missions. They've had 5 years to make this game. No Halo game has had this much active development time (or budget), so I expect it to have some length to it. Story is important, but as long as they keep gameplay at the top of their list of priorities, the game could be quite long.
I would like a real campaign focus, with 20-25 missions. But realistically, I expect around 15 decent length missions. They've had 5 years to make this game. No Halo game has had this much active development time (or budget), so I expect it to have some length to it. Story is important, but as long as they keep gameplay at the top of their list of priorities, the game could be quite long.
I’ve seen comments on various sites about the budget. Is there a source for this? I’m not trying to argue with you, I’ve just never seen an official number.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2