Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

How many more games with Chief after Infinite?

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Halo Infinite is seeing the big return of Halo and Master Chief next Holiday and hell yeah!! People are so pumped to see Chief returning, and beginning the next-gen for Microsoft is really cool. Now there's a question that's come to mind for me and I think for others; how many more games will Chief be in after Infinite? I think we'll get 2-3 more games with him before he exits the franchise. What'd you think?
All of them.

Lol, realistically I think he has a few more under his belt. I've always been quite nervous for how they'll transition the series. I think 343 was trying to prepare us for that in 4 and 5, but they've hopefully backed out of it.
I don't know if I'd want a set protagonist in each game after Chief. What I mean is, I don't really want for someone to try and take his mantle. I would be interested in more Reach and ODST style games following other characters that slightly differ from game to game perhaps.
Infinite? Lol 343i can write until he dies and then just do games about Chief between his training to death. We could see a halo 0.1 to a halo 0.8, Reach again, etc.
Chiefs Popularity is massive. Over the past 2 decades, he became next to Mario, Link, Sonic, Lara Croft, Scorpion etc. one of the most recognizable & influential gaming-characters of all time.
I think that it is pretty naive to assume that he would die anytime soon. This doesn't mean that every game has to have him as the main character. You can always have some spinoff games to flesh out / introduce new characters.

So, I doubt that the face of Halo (& Xbox) will die anytime soon.
DaekLaw wrote:
Chiefs Popularity is massive. Over the past 2 decades, he became next to Mario, Link, Sonic, Lara Croft, Scorpion etc. one of the most recognizable & influential gaming-characters of all time.
I think that it is pretty naive to assume that he would die anytime soon. This doesn't mean that every game has to have him as the main character. You can always have some spinoff games to flesh out / introduce new characters.

Thing is though Steve Downes is currently 67. I imagine he’ll be around 70 when he’ll record for Halo 7. I think he’ll retire within the next 10 years. If that’s the case, then either Chief’s story end a couple of games after Infinite or they’ll make the bold decision to hire a new VA.
DaekLaw wrote:

Thing is though Steve Downes is currently 67. I imagine he’ll be around 70 when he’ll record for Halo 7. I think he’ll retire within the next 10 years. If that’s the case, then either Chief’s story end a couple of games after Infinite or they’ll make the bold decision to hire a new VA.
😭 I hadn't even thought about that
I honestly think Steve Downes is the limiting factor. It'll be down to when he wants to stop, or is unable to continue.

Alternatively, they could have him record every single word in the English dictionary, and use them to make Chief's dialogue in future games.
Well hopefully we get more spin off games after Halo infinite (or even attached to Halo infinite). But as far as the Chief's story well All Good Things....

I mean it is better to end the story on a good note (or as good as it can get) than to drag it on till forever (soon we will see the Chief time traveling with the Reds and Blues at this rate). I don't want Halo Infinite to be the last game in the halo franchise but I don't mind if this is the last game to feature the Big MC.
I'm convinced chief and cortana will die together at the end of infinite
Halo Infinite is seeing the big return of Halo and Master Chief next Holiday and hell yeah!! People are so pumped to see Chief returning, and beginning the next-gen for Microsoft is really cool. Now there's a question that's come to mind for me and I think for others; how many more games will Chief be in after Infinite? I think we'll get 2-3 more games with him before he exits the franchise. What'd you think?
while i think that they could probably wrap it up with this next game, i think the that they will be hard pressed to do any more without master chief. Look at how much hate they got because the halo 5 campaign switched between the Chief and Locke. But who knows?
CBngVegas wrote:
while i think that they could probably wrap it up with this next game, i think the that they will be hard pressed to do any more without master chief. Look at how much hate they got because the halo 5 campaign switched between the Chief and Locke. But who knows?
If they want to have Chief in all future main games, then would you be cool with a new voice actor coming in to voice him in the future?
He's iconic on the level of almost any game mascot- even up to and including Nintendo icons.

People who want him to be phased out as the series' protagonist have a point in that he isn't getting any younger on paper, but that's the thing, it's just on paper. As grounded in military and sci-fi logic as the series seems at times, it's just fiction. As long as there's demand for Master Chief to be our Spartan supersoldier of choice, that's what they should stick with. I've never heard even what I'd call a notable plurality of Halo fans call for Chief's going away as the series' lead. I think that the attempted passing of the torch to Locke in Guardians demonstrates that we don't care to see our Big Green Style ever defeated or relegated to a secondary role.
DaekLaw wrote:

Three more with Steve Downes would be nice but they could always go back to the beginning of the covenant war when Chief wasn't even 20 years old yet and his voice would have been different because of age.
He's iconic on the level of almost any game mascot- even up to and including Nintendo icons.

People who want him to be phased out as the series' protagonist have a point in that he isn't getting any younger on paper, but that's the thing, it's just on paper. As grounded in military and sci-fi logic as the series seems at times, it's just fiction. As long as there's demand for Master Chief to be our Spartan supersoldier of choice, that's what they should stick with. I've never heard even what I'd call a notable plurality of Halo fans call for Chief's going away as the series' lead. I think that the attempted passing of the torch to Locke in Guardians demonstrates that we don't care to see our Big Green Style ever defeated or relegated to a secondary role.
Are you cool with a new VA taking on the role of Chief after Steve likely retires in the next 10 years?

Are you cool with a new VA taking on the role of Chief after Steve likely retires in the next 10 years?
I certainly am. Downes has brought a phenomenal performance, but I don't consider him irreplaceable. I think the character is bigger than the portrayal in this case, just like James Bond and a lot of characters from comic book adaptations transcend single actors. Chief is faceless to the player, too, which helps with this. He's not an especially wordy guy, either. All in all, he's nearly a best case scenario for recasting if and when Steve Downes decides he's going to hang up the helmet.

All of which isn't in the slightest intended to deride or diminish his time and portrayal in the role- again, I think he's been spectacular. Ultimately we all came to know and appreciate Steve Downes through the Master Chief, rather than the other way around.

I certainly am. Downes has brought a phenomenal performance, but I don't consider him irreplaceable. I think the character is bigger than the portrayal in this case, just like James Bond and a lot of characters from comic book adaptations transcend single actors. Chief is faceless to the player, too, which helps with this. He's not an especially wordy guy, either. All in all, he's nearly a best case scenario for recasting if and when Steve Downes decides he's going to hang up the helmet.

All of which isn't in the slightest intended to deride or diminish his time and portrayal in the role- again, I think he's been spectacular. Ultimately we all came to know and appreciate Steve Downes through the Master Chief, rather than the other way around.
When at some point do you think enough is enough for the character? I don’t think we can play as him forever, his story has to end at some point.
As long as they have fresh stories to tell, they will keep using him. Eventually they're going to have to replace him with a new Chief. He will be the Master Chief, it just won't be John. I mean in the year 2090 (our time), John can't still be healthy and able to fight haha.
I'm assuming 4 games, 3 after infinite and one that takes place in the past . And maybe halo 3 anniversary
@TRUe REDEMPTION: Enough is enough for the character when the majority of fans are tired of seeing him as the series' lead. Personally I think that's a long way off. But I'm open to the idea that I may be wrong about that.

Assuming, even in the event that Downes is replaced in the role, that Chief is still portrayed in a manner consistent with his established personality as seen in Halo so far? I don't think I'll get tired of it myself for many games to come. I'm not shooting down the idea of offshoots like ODST and Reach; I think those certainly have their place, and it's only by continually exploring those types of avenues that we could ever discover something in the Halo universe worth removing our focus on Chief for. But until that something comes, and the fanbase organically becomes more interested and demanding for that than they are for stories centered on the Chief, MC is the entire centerpiece of the franchise.
Do you guys remember before H5 released the ENDLESS threads on waypoint: 'Master Chief Dying?!?!?!?', I'm waiting for that to happen again. Though that was probably sparked by the whole Hunt the Truth thing.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2