Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

How much can REALLY get done in 4 months?

OP SDdawg

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This question is 80% genuine and about 20% rhetorical lol. Anyway, I see heavily mixed sentiment toward the Demo in the subreddit. Without surprise, it appears that the majority of those in defense of 343 are drowning out those who have legitimate doubts about Infinite's development. One comment I read was along the lines "people on here are acting like they know the ins and outs of game development" all the while failing to provide their own "professional" insight. But it really does make me wonder, how much can a studio as big as 343 accomplish in 4 months to make this game on par with previous looking titles?

For me personally, I see some big red flags that we shouldn't ignore:
-Seeing gameplay for the first time 4 months before launch after 5 years of development.
-343 dodging confirmation of Forge/Theater at launch despite being directly asked so.
-Public beta basically canceled

Even before pandemic, there has been enough time to make a game that looks promising so far. And this goes beyond my own desire for a new Halo, for those who want to quickly categorize me as an angry fanboy. If my speculation proves true, then I feel really bad for these 343 employees and the hellish crunch that they will likely endure until launch. Right now I'm just in favor of a delay. It would be unprecedented, but hey, these are "unprecedented" times. Thoughts?
They didnt do much with years of work and half a billion, I doubt 4 months are going to change that
You'd be surprised...
I hope a lot, because what they presented cannot go on sale.
I pray that 343 can do something right in their life and that they can launch a Halo with minimal errors and decent graphics.
You'd be surprised...
Care to elaborate? Again I see this type of response all over reddit but I don’t understand. What are some examples of games that have changed considerably shortly before launch? How is development during this part of the dev cycle? Genuinely asking
Well when Forbes writes an article essentially headlined “Maybe Microsoft should delay Halo Infinite.” You should prob delay the game.

it should be delayed. No way in Hell it’s going to launch in a good state.

here’s the article Forbes Article
Not enough. but hopefull we'll at least get some real forerunner architecture instead of those blank pillars, and more detailing
Most of the problems are just lighting and textures. I would assume with four months to go until launch that the game is in place. So overhaul those aspects and as the dude above me said, add more detailing to the minecraft walls.
I think the current gaming culture is very receptive to delays when it means a proper product is being released.

First impressions are everything, so "on time but we'll patch it later" is a huge mistake.
I am still hoping that 343 Industries can fix the graphics in Halo Infinite. I really want to have an awesome experience playing the new Halo video game.
Considering that flighting isn’t ready by now, and that raytracing gets added post-launch, among other things. I’d say the work needed to be done is pretty severe. Four months ain’t going to cut it.
Both, "a lot" and "not much" at the same time. That depends on what you're referring to.

Graphics-wise, it is too late to change more than a handful of models in the game. Especially if they need detailed animations. Maybe a weapon or two, maybe the phantom gets redesigned. But there's no way they'd be able to change all those hexagons on the maps, even if they wanted to.
The textures could very well be fixed. Especially if the issues are from bad compression or due to bad lighting. Luckily, HI has dynamic lighting, if it had static, they'd have to redo all the lighting for all the levels.
In terms of gamplay, we're done. Nothing to change at this point. H5G had a beta that was a lot farther in development one year prior to release, and it essentially represented the shipped game to 99%.
Same for story, we're stuck with what we have, for better or for worse, but that should be self-evident. Some people hated Brohammer and Dankey Kang in the demo, some people loved them. Regardless on what side of the fence you fall, this is what you're gonna get.

The amount of changes possible also depends on how affected 343 really is by Covid. Personally, I'm not buying for a second that it had that much of an impact, as my workplace was basically back on track with programming after a week or two, but let's say for the sake of argument that this isn't the case for 343.
If Covid was really affecting them to that extent, that they couldn't polish a demo that they knew was coming as they'd have to show it for E3 either way, and now they had more than a month more time, then polishing the entire game in the same amount of time or less will be impossible.
Part of me thinks 343 had way too much trouble building the engine in the first place and now it's a sunk cost. They're just pushing out whatever actually works.

Also probably didn't help that, once again, they were working on the MCC simultaneously with a mainline Halo title.
I think 343 Industries need to address the Halo Infinite graphics problems. Hopefully they will address that in the next update in the Halo Waypoint website.
Well, with the rumour going around that the demo is 6 months, that would give the game almost a year's worth of polish.

Plus the gameplay trailer they released after looked way better, likely ripped from a more polished version of the game.
Celestis wrote:
But there's no way they'd be able to change all those hexagons on the maps, even if they wanted to.
The hexagons are intentional, they're even in the concept art. It's likely meant to be revealed superstructure from the damage or some sort of rebuilding (kind of like all the panels we see at the end of halo 3). They just some texture and proper lighting not to look horrible.
Well, with the rumour going around that the demo is 6 months, that would give the game almost a year's worth of polish.

Plus the gameplay trailer they released after looked way better, likely ripped from a more polished version of the game.
Some more textures, but the colours and the heavy, oversaturated orange light and how the surface of everything looks, was pretty much the same.
Part of me thinks 343 had way too much trouble building the engine in the first place and now it's a sunk cost. They're just pushing out whatever actually works.

Also probably didn't help that, once again, they were working on the MCC simultaneously with a mainline Halo title.
A different team is working on the MCC.
Celestis wrote:
But there's no way they'd be able to change all those hexagons on the maps, even if they wanted to.
The hexagons are intentional, they're even in the concept art. It's likely meant to be revealed superstructure from the damage or some sort of rebuilding (kind of like all the panels we see at the end of halo 3). They just some texture and proper lighting not to look horrible.
They are not nearly as prominent in the concept art and thus are not the same eyesores that they are in the demo.

I think that if this is the way that 343 wants to go and show "artificial" and "damaged", then they just need to limit the use and make the suggestion more subtle and less in your face.
What worries me is that Halo 3, Halo 4 and Halo 5 all looked finished and great (in term of graphics) at E3 just some months before release.

I really hope this was an old build because there isn't much time left.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2