Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

How much can REALLY get done in 4 months?

OP SDdawg

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Depends on what they are trying to do and what they think is appropriate for launch
See: Gears 5
Celestis wrote:
But there's no way they'd be able to change all those hexagons on the maps, even if they wanted to.
The hexagons are intentional, they're even in the concept art. It's likely meant to be revealed superstructure from the damage or some sort of rebuilding (kind of like all the panels we see at the end of halo 3). They just some texture and proper lighting not to look horrible.
And all this time I thought they were just trying to make the world look like a Heroscape map to go along with the Megabloks characters.
Celestis wrote:
Both, "a lot" and "not much" at the same time. That depends on what you're referring to.

Graphics-wise, it is too late to change more than a handful of models in the game. Especially if they need detailed animations. Maybe a weapon or two, maybe the phantom gets redesigned. But there's no way they'd be able to change all those hexagons on the maps, even if they wanted to.
The textures could very well be fixed. Especially if the issues are from bad compression or due to bad lighting. Luckily, HI has dynamic lighting, if it had static, they'd have to redo all the lighting for all the levels.
In terms of gamplay, we're done. Nothing to change at this point. H5G had a beta that was a lot farther in development one year prior to release, and it essentially represented the shipped game to 99%.
Same for story, we're stuck with what we have, for better or for worse, but that should be self-evident. Some people hated Brohammer and Dankey Kang in the demo, some people loved them. Regardless on what side of the fence you fall, this is what you're gonna get.

The amount of changes possible also depends on how affected 343 really is by Covid. Personally, I'm not buying for a second that it had that much of an impact, as my workplace was basically back on track with programming after a week or two, but let's say for the sake of argument that this isn't the case for 343.
If Covid was really affecting them to that extent, that they couldn't polish a demo that they knew was coming as they'd have to show it for E3 either way, and now they had more than a month more time, then polishing the entire game in the same amount of time or less will be impossible.
This is a really good take. I think I agree with people saying that 4 months will only give us minimal improvements. Obviously its gonna be a huge bummer if the graphics are lackluster, but whats gonna suck even more is if there is no forge/theater and a barebones multiplayer experience at launch. I really don't think Xbox can afford another controversial halo launch under their belt. I think people are going to write off Xbox even harder than the previous generation if they mess up Halo on launch day.
Quite a lot actually if we look at Halo 2.

You are also working off the assumption that the demo we saw is the latest version of the game which is unlikely. The playable E3 demo of Halo 4 was at least a month old build than what the latest Halo 4 built at that time.

Is a flight still happening btw?

You are also working off the assumption that the demo we saw is the latest version of the game which is unlikely. The playable E3 demo of Halo 4 was at least a month old build than what the latest Halo 4 built at that time.

Is a flight still happening btw?
Hopefully you are right my friend. And beta is highly unlikely now.
My opinion is not much, its actually less than 4 months, games usually go gold 1-2 months before the release date. Im convinced this is what 343 wants to ship...
I've said it in another thread but unless they are needing to delay certain features in the game like forge then yes delay it unless they have a good post launch setup ready for when the game hits I doubt we would ever see a delay of the game.
xsv wrote:
My opinion is not much, its actually less than 4 months, games usually go gold 1-2 months before the release date. Im convinced this is what 343 wants to ship...
Gold means absolutely nothing when almost all AAA games now have day 1 patches.
T1g3rs65 wrote:
xsv wrote:
Gold means absolutely nothing when almost all AAA games now have day 1 patches.
I have to agree, they could "fix" and alter whatever they choose to fix in a patch. Although "fixing" what the community wants them to fix could easily take a lot longer. What im saying here though is that they dont want to change anything, cause what we saw is what we get.
SDdawg wrote:
This question is 80% genuine and about 20% rhetorical lol. Anyway, I see heavily mixed sentiment toward the Demo in the subreddit. Without surprise, it appears that the majority of those in defense of 343 are drowning out those who have legitimate doubts about Infinite's development. One comment I read was along the lines "people on here are acting like they know the ins and outs of game development" all the while failing to provide their own "professional" insight. But it really does make me wonder, how much can a studio as big as 343 accomplish in 4 months to make this game on par with previous looking titles?

For me personally, I see some big red flags that we shouldn't ignore:
-Seeing gameplay for the first time 4 months before launch after 5 years of development.
-343 dodging confirmation of Forge/Theater at launch despite being directly asked so.
-Public beta basically canceled

Even before pandemic, there has been enough time to make a game that looks promising so far. And this goes beyond my own desire for a new Halo, for those who want to quickly categorize me as an angry fanboy. If my speculation proves true, then I feel really bad for these 343 employees and the hellish crunch that they will likely endure until launch. Right now I'm just in favor of a delay. It would be unprecedented, but hey, these are "unprecedented" times. Thoughts?
What can change in four months? Well it actually can be alot. I have about 5 years of programming experience (in general) and about 2 years of game development experience with Unreal Engine 4. I will admit I am pretty new to the game development scene. I've actually looked back on some projects/ games I made to see where they were at given any two points in time four months apart and the game is pretty different. Things like textures and even models can be adjusted/ finalized fairly quickly. Things like animations may take longer (animation is more of a pain in the -Yoink-, but keep in mind I am a programmer). A feature that was being tested can be finalized or axed. Things like core mechanics of the game usually don't change. The core mechanics/ what the game is "supposed to be" usually get figured out in the planning or design phase of the development cycle. You usually figure out what exactly it is you are supposed to build and then go build it. If you were building a house you would want some kind of blueprint to determine how the house is supposed to be and what it is supposed to have- you wouldn't just randomly start nailing boards together. This is not to say that this stuff is not prone to change and new ideas never come up during development. Implementation can run right up until pretty close to the end, so I am not exactly concerned about things like textures looking flat.

I do have some serious concerns with Halo Infinite. I'm worried about the gameplay choices. Let's say that for some reason when they revealed the game everyone hated the grapple hook. I don't think that would be something that could be changed within four months because how much of your game did you build around that? I think the "direction/ what it is" of Halo Infinite has already been determined and is extremely unlikely to change this late on. It is very concerning that we are seeing very little very late because I still feel like we don't entirely know what Infinite is. Yes the game has been in development for 5 years- I wonder how much of that time was spent developing the new engine? What I am concerned about is 343 being on a huge time crunch to get this game out within 4-5 months. In college I read a paper about the "post mortem" documents on games. Alot of times games can fail because the game changes too much during development or the game is overly ambitious. Both of these can cause time crunching during the last few months of development.

Given how little we have seen or even heard about Infinite until now makes me very concerned that they are on a really bad time crunch. What if in making the game an open world game they were too ambitious or couldn't quite nail down the direction of the project and now the implementation phase as been pushed so far down the line? Here's what I am concerned about: I think they're going to do a Halo 5 here where it launches with half of the game missing and they spend the next months/ years adding what wasn't in at launch. Honestly, if they're going to be asking for $60 for this game I would not be OK with that.

What I think would be best is for the game to be delayed until holiday 2021. Kick it back a year and in holiday 2020 run an open beta for what you have to get feedback. Then, choose a couple months in 2021 and run a few flights on the game before launching on the holiday. This is just what I think would be best for the game. I am not willing to grant leniency for an unfinished game just because of the pandemic. I would be more understanding of the game being delayed than being dropped in a half finished state. If it isn't finished on launch or is really buggy and broken I'd just be waiting for it to be fixed anyways.
They didnt do much with years of work and half a billion, I doubt 4 months are going to change that
I sadly agree
While I do think that what was shown during the demo looks good, I think it could definitely use some polish. I am fairly certain what was shown is an older build but if the game needs to be delayed to improve the overall quality then by all means delay it.
Part of me thinks 343 had way too much trouble building the engine in the first place and now it's a sunk cost. They're just pushing out whatever actually works.

Also probably didn't help that, once again, they were working on the MCC simultaneously with a mainline Halo title.
It was a different team working on MCC but I will agree with you that they’re just pushing stuff out that could make sense

Oddly enough I went back and watched the behind the scenes of Halo 2. They didn't even have the game fully complete until middle to the end of August. And from that point it was play test to find bugs, glitches,and everything else before its November launch. From what we saw from the demo and a 3-4 month release window for Infinite, and that HI has a lot of people working on it, a lot more than Halo 2. I think Halo Infinite will be great at launch.
speedyjr11 wrote:

Oddly enough I went back and watched the behind the scenes of Halo 2. They didn't even have the game fully complete until middle to the end of August. And from that point it was play test to find bugs, glitches,and everything else before its November launch. From what we saw from the demo and a 3-4 month release window for Infinite, and that HI has a lot of people working on it, a lot more than Halo 2. I think Halo Infinite will be great at launch.
Some of this is corroborated recently with HiddenXperia's interview with Marty O'Donnell. Marty said that an employee brought a hammock into their cubicle and basically couldn't see their family (they had to visit him) because of the insane crunch leading up to launch. Just constantly working 24/7. Lets hope the same situation isn't happening as we speak. I'll concede that 343 might be larger, but I'm staying vigilant to all the red flags here.
Prior to now, 343i have never been incompetent with the visual presentstion of their games. Halo 4 was one of the best looking console games of its generation, and while Halo 5 didn't look as amazing as Halo 4 did relative to when it released, that was in part due to 343i targeting 60fps across the board (although Star Wars Battlefront, Battlefield 1 and Doom Eternal are all 60fps on Xbox and look better than Halo 5).

Infinite looks this bad because it's a cross-gen title. Microsoft need to cancel the Xbox One version, delay the game a year and allow 343i to rework the visuals and aesthetic.

CD Projekt Red delayed Cyberpunk by a year because they felt it would benefit massively from it. It may be a tough decision, but remember that a rushed game will always be bad, a true masterpiece will be good forever. Is it better to throw $500m down the drain, or spend say $550m and put out a genuine system seller that will continue to sell for years to come?
SDdawg wrote:
This question is 80% genuine and about 20% rhetorical lol. Anyway, I see heavily mixed sentiment toward the Demo in the subreddit. Without surprise, it appears that the majority of those in defense of 343 are drowning out those who have legitimate doubts about Infinite's development. One comment I read was along the lines "people on here are acting like they know the ins and outs of game development" all the while failing to provide their own "professional" insight. But it really does make me wonder, how much can a studio as big as 343 accomplish in 4 months to make this game on par with previous looking titles?

For me personally, I see some big red flags that we shouldn't ignore:
-Seeing gameplay for the first time 4 months before launch after 5 years of development.
-343 dodging confirmation of Forge/Theater at launch despite being directly asked so.
-Public beta basically canceled

Even before pandemic, there has been enough time to make a game that looks promising so far. And this goes beyond my own desire for a new Halo, for those who want to quickly categorize me as an angry fanboy. If my speculation proves true, then I feel really bad for these 343 employees and the hellish crunch that they will likely endure until launch. Right now I'm just in favor of a delay. It would be unprecedented, but hey, these are "unprecedented" times. Thoughts?
A lot, look at the gears of war 4 demo. It looked dopeass, but in a few months they fixed the graphics for the final product. It is running on a old version of the game, and the graphics are the last few things to get fixed in a game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2