Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

How to Monetize Halo Infinite

OP Vinman720

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Let me preface this with saying that I DO NOT want micro transactions to impact any significant aspect of Halo Infinite's armor system or progression system, however I do understand that developers are looking to monetize their games more now. In a perfect world, I would prefer no micro transactions, but, assuming they will be in the game, here is my proposal.

Essentially what I think would be the best way to do this would be for microtransactions to be purely client side in a sense, meaning that they would not impact other players, OR be clearly event specific items that are isolated from the game's vanilla customization system. I think Halo 5 did this well with the announcer micro transactions you could buy, as this was a small addition that did not impact other players, and there are tons of possibilities for unique announcers both inside and out of lore. Like Halo 5, you could have announcers like 343 Guilty Spark, Buck, Palmer, All of Noble Team, Sergeant Johnson, etc. You get the idea. On top of that, could you imagine if they had someone like Joe Rogan, Morgan Freeman, Robert Downey Jr., or popular streamers like Ninja or Shroud. This would be a really cool way to monetize and obviously they would have to be reasonably priced, but people would totally pay for this.

Another what I would call "client side" option would be extremely unique HUD skins, similar to skins for Android. These could be potentially holiday themed, in lore such as an ODST Hud, or even a crossover with another FPS franchise. Similar to this, I could see main menu music options for different types of covers of Halo theme, such as a metal core theme, EDM, etc. Just options for those who want to pay a little extra to personalize their game.

As far as microtransactions that deal with armor customization and that would be visible to other players, I think these should be event based limited time offers, that are CLEARLY isolated from the vanilla armors. For example, if I see someone running around with a Santa hat Master Chief helmet, or jack o lantern helmet, I know that they paid money for that, and did not earn it in game. This is the important distinction that I think has to be made in order for the micro transactions to not be intrusive. Vanilla armors should not be attainable through outside purchases. Every armor piece should say something about how you play the game.

Lemme know what you think.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post inappropriate content.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
As long as nothing gets in the way of gameplay, i'm cool with it. I know this isn't on topic, but you mentioned it, so i'll pitch in. I think cosmetics need to stay semi-serious. I don't want any santa helmets. On the other hand, i'd be okay with Christmas themed weapon skins, armor decals, etc. For example, get 30 wins during the Halloween event to get a magnum skin. Once the event is over, the skin can be purchased for a reasonable price. At least, that's how I would do it.
I'll make the same disclaimer as you did, I prefer no microtransactions at all, so there's that.

However, I expect 343 to want to introduce some form of MTX which is repeatable. The HUD skins: you'd buy them once, and that's it. I personally would mind it less if XP/REQ boosts (or their equivalent) became MTX only. If people want to blast through XP ranks faster, let them. Just make sure that the regular xp gain is not infuriatingly low, because then this setup will become problematic.
I'm cool with no MTX. I believe those ruin games in my opinion if those make it a "pay to win". But I do understand developers wanting to monetize their games so i'm down for some skins or different announcers.
I'll make the same disclaimer as you did, I prefer no microtransactions at all, so there's that.

However, I expect 343 to want to introduce some form of MTX which is repeatable. The HUD skins: you'd buy them once, and that's it. I personally would mind it less if XP/REQ boosts (or their equivalent) became MTX only. If people want to blast through XP ranks faster, let them. Just make sure that the regular xp gain is not infuriatingly low, because then this setup will become problematic.
My only problem with xp boosts as MTX is that it kind of invalidates the significance of someone who has reached a high rank. You have no way of knowing if they truly put those hours into the game. You are right that they would want repeatable MTX though, and I am not exactly sure how that could be done in a way that does not intrude on the progression system.
God1383 wrote:
As long as nothing gets in the way of gameplay, i'm cool with it. I know this isn't on topic, but you mentioned it, so i'll pitch in. I think cosmetics need to stay semi-serious. I don't want any santa helmets. On the other hand, i'd be okay with Christmas themed weapon skins, armor decals, etc. For example, get 30 wins during the Halloween event to get a magnum skin. Once the event is over, the skin can be purchased for a reasonable price. At least, that's how I would do it.
I understand that as well. I would not want to be playing a match where spartans are running around with all kinds of goofy holiday themed accessories on. Maybe there could be a way to reel them back in a bit, perhaps through making it some sort of Christmas armor decal, or some sort of armor variation that is more subtle than just a straight up Santa hat. I guess emblems are always an option but I hope they will be returning the level of customization the previous games had. As far as giving people goals during these events such as the 30 wins like you mentioned sounds like a great idea as it would also increase community engagement and keep people coming back.
I completely disagree in a certain respect.

There should be nothing even close to a "Santa Claus hat" or "celebrity announcer". That stuff is SUPER tacky and kills the immersion. Every customizable thing should be canon. No stupid stuff.

Halo Reach multiplayer was ruined by all the players with Birthday Party towards the latter half of its lifecycle. It's funny the first couple times you see it, then eventually everyone has it and it kills the mood. Same with Halo 5's unbelievably gaudy weapon skins. I cringe at the realization that many players actually like that stuff. Some times, people need to be unable to express their bad taste. Sporty, neon weapon skins are a plague upon modern FPS gaming. There are a million other ways to present a gun's skin/palette that don't involve making it look like a Nerf toy or a sport jacket, but developers haven't been enlightened yet.
I completely disagree in a certain respect.

There should be nothing even close to a "Santa Claus hat" or "celebrity announcer". That stuff is SUPER tacky and kills the immersion. Every customizable thing should be canon. No stupid stuff.

Halo Reach multiplayer was ruined by all the players with Birthday Party towards the latter half of its lifecycle. It's funny the first couple times you see it, then eventually everyone has it and it kills the mood. Same with Halo 5's unbelievably gaudy weapon skins. I cringe at the realization that many players actually like that stuff. Some times, people need to be unable to express their bad taste. Sporty, neon weapon skins are a plague upon modern FPS gaming. There are a million other ways to present a gun's skin/palette that don't involve making it look like a Nerf toy or a sport jacket, but developers haven't been enlightened yet.
I guess the Halo community is just idiotic than. While some people don't want things that aren't cannon, most people would say that gold/neon skins are acceptable. Without customization, the game will seem completely serious, and that's not what this series needs. It is a preference in the end, though. You wanna use default skins and I want to use pizza skins. I think they can both exist in one game.
I don't like how Halo 5 pretty much devalued armor acquisition.

In Halo 3, if you saw somebody strutting around with a set of EOD armor, you knew this person completed the campaign on legendary, if you saw somebody such as myself with the Scout shoulders, you knew that person was insane and spent too much time killing somebody with a Mongoose.

There is barely a handful of armor in Halo 5 that required something other than opening a REQ pack to unlock, if Infinite continues this trend of offering armor customization in REQs, It would be appreciated if there were armor variants that were acquired by other means, such as legendary campaign completion, achievement-tied and/or commendation competitions such as in Halo 4.

I was pretty bummed out when 343i casually released two Helioskrill armor skins which more or less made the unlock of the original meaningless as the distinction between the skins were minimal, so if skins return, please don't give unique armor variants skins.
Micro transactions at this point are going to stay in my opinion. As long as it doesn’t affect gameplay I’m fine with it. I always believed as long as it’s purely cosmetics go for it. Granted when it comes to MT you will never have a system where everyone will be happy but I like to think this will alleviate most of the pains
All content unlockable only via gameplay.
Add a 'Donate' button to main menu.
Profit.
Cosmetics are part of the gameplay in halo. The unlock system for armour has been a staple of the series for years up until halo 5 ruined it. I don't know why you guys would be ok with them monetising armour.
Cosmetics are part of the gameplay in halo. The unlock system for armour has been a staple of the series for years up until halo 5 ruined it. I don't know why you guys would be ok with them monetising armour.
Woah woah, I never said anything about monetizing armor like that. I am totally on board with you. That is why I am saying if there were armors that could be bought, they would have to be few, limited, and event specific armors. Apart from that, I think they could just do custom emblems and armor decals that you could pay for. I one hundred percent do not want there to be any crossover between the vanilla progression system and the micro transactions. Maybe unique "Armor skins" like the HCS variants in Halo 5.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Because we are not currently equipped to provide moderation in other languages, we must ask that all messages be posted in English. Feel free to use an online language translation service, and then create a new thread with the translated text. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Debería haber claramente microtransacciones, para que 343 esté más atento al contenido.
No prestes atención a ganar, solo cosméticos como en otros juegos.
para que halo pueda ser más barato o simplemente convertirlo parcialmente libre.
No tendríamos que esperar 4 o 6 años para tener correcciones o contenido nuevo.
O como sucede con DLC halo 3, reach, 4 (skins), 5 (skin para apoyar a los equipos competitivos)
Solo se parece a otros juegos, tiene más noticias en su multijugador, solo gracias al hecho de que continúan ganando con el mismo juego y no solo esperan a que se lance otro.
I know the older style of season passes had their issues and that we moved on, but I missed the days of paying $20-60 dollars and not worrying about spending any more money. I am glad the industry is moving on from loot boxed, but I would love a system were I just spend $X and I would not have to spend another dime on the game. Unfortunately, they may go for the battle pass system where I am encouraged to be constantly dropping more money into the game throughout its life time.
they'll keep letting absolute JABRONES buy REQ packs probably.
Yes it’s probably the correct idea to how monetize this game
Don't?

Wish they wouldn't, but yeah they will somehow. What I've been saying is that they should let multiplayer be F2P with a major caveat; the bulk of progression (save for perhaps 1-3 default armors) is achieved via MTX. Players who paid for the full game would get the full experience (non-MTX progression).

This would work for a variety of reasons. MS is happy because they get a lot of money and Infinite would probably be a lot more popular being F2P. Halo fans are happy because they get MTX-free progression. F2P players are happy with playing a game for free and therefore are more willing to buy MTX, but some might also purchase Infinite in full because they'd weigh $60 for the full game and MTX-free progression as a better deal than spending a lot of money for progression on the F2P version.
I think it is a great idea to limit micro transactions, and i would love some of the proposed options like HUDs. I would be fuming again if the game let you buy armors, for a simple reason: IT IS BETTER TO EARN ARMORS. No, hear me out, when you EARN something that you want, you feel more accomplished and when you earn those things it tells people how skilled you are. The ways you earn them don't even have to be complicated, like complete the first mission, second, third, fourth, complete the campaign, kill 5 spartans in campaign etc. You could use it to earn gold or platinum REQs as well.
I'm telling you right now a BR mode would be the best course of action to monetize Halo Infinite. Make a FREE standalone mode and incorporate it into the game (Just like Warzone with MW2019). Not only does this free portion of infinite exponentially drive up interest in the game resulting in an even bigger playerbase, but it allows the core game to be completely unaffected whilst keeping content updates with maps, modes and armor completely free. Even if you are against the idea of halo getting a battle royale, this is the probably the best path for everyone.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2