Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

How weapon variants should be done

OP ChaoticPentrath

We know weapon variants are to return in some form or another, however, it would be my hope they don't return back to Halo 5's version. While I get Halo 5's version of the variants was a fan favorite part of Halo 5, I feel the number of variants over saturated the sandbox and many of the variants did not really feel like they were really unique, other than maybe one having a larger ammo count, or one having needler ammo rather than plasm ect. However what I did like about Halo 5's variants was the legendary variants, I fell that should be what 343 does for weapons when giving them a variant. As they can add properties to the legendary weapons. For instance, imagine the Sidekick getting two legendary variants, the Halo Ce Pistol and the Halo 2 Pistol, the CE pistol could carry the traits that it did in Halo 5 however the Halo 2 on could not only allow for faster firing it could also give the property of Duel wielding, which could be a way for 343 to reintroduce the mechanic. Or say the Energy Sword which could have the Prophets Bane, and then the Halo 2 variant that gives the insane lunging that Halo 2's sword was known for as well as the slightly weaker melee. This is how I feel the variants should work as this would allow the weapons to actually have distinct looks from one another and they could have unique properties to them that the base weapon does not allow, while not completely alienating the default weapon. That was another issue with the variants is that they overshadowed the default weapons. Why use the regular sniper when Northfang is better? Why use the Plasma Pistol when Voids Tear is better? Ect. They can have unique properties that can add something to the sandbox it does not currently have, while still making the default version of the weapon that you would mostly spawn with, remain relevant. Also, not every weapon would have to get a variant, nor would they have to get only 2. Yes, this might not fix the over-saturation problem, but it would at least give us weapons that are unique on their own, that can offer different or unique playstyles rather than just having a weapon that is essentially an upgraded version of the default weapon that you would want to obtain and discard the default.
I agree. Most variants in Halo 5 felt lazy to me, especially weapons that act exactly like previous Halo weapons that aren't in Halo 5 (like Blood of Suban and Needle Rifle). I would rather have completely new weapons than having variants that change one aspect of a weapon. Also, there is no need for 6 different variants of a mongoose.
I liked the halo 5 variants but with the vehicles, they went a bit overboard. I was also afraid to use actual legendary reqs in fear of dying with them. I think infinite should have better chances of getting these reqs or variants of weapons.
I'm not to keen on the variants.

There were a few cool ones that stuck out, like the anti-vehicle Needler. But almost all of them were just "x but better" stat changes like mag size, a full auto trigger, or just more damage are pretty boring. And some reqs stuck out as being plain broken and overpowered.

I'd rather just have the weapon skins, and focus effort on coming up with cool new weapons instead.
Fos Kuvol wrote:
I'm not to keen on the variants.

There were a few cool ones that stuck out, like the anti-vehicle Needler. But almost all of them were just "x but better" stat changes like mag size, a full auto trigger, or just more damage are pretty boring. And some reqs stuck out as being plain broken and overpowered.

I'd rather just have the weapon skins, and focus effort on coming up with cool new weapons instead.
Oh I am with you, but if we must have the variant's this is the way I would prefer it to be done rather than the grindy, monetization-ridden, variants we got in 5.
I actually enjoy Halo 5's variety weapons. However, I do agree that they don't have much variety. For example, Compare the three needler variants, one has red blamite and that's literally it. Also, WTF is a Hannibal Wasp? Why does that need to exist? So many random -Yoink- vehicles that make no sense whatsoever.
I'm honestly disappointed that we are going to have variant weapons again, especially when it seems to conflict with their stated goals for the sandbox is removing redundancy.

The most I would really be okay with seeing is maybe some suppressed variants to give players stealthy options or Warthog style variants. Otherwise I think most of the loadout variants in Warzone only contributed to more redundancy while all the most interesting mechanics were hidden behind the broken legendary variants. Many of the 'normal' weapons didn't have any unique or interesting features, they were all sectioned off behind campaign easter eggs, fiesta, and P2W Warzone.

Variants need to be few in number with a very specific purpose. So Warthog variants, some suppressed weapon variants(provided they function properly and are more than just aesthetic) and or perhaps usable Hunter cannons(with both beam and explosive varieties among other things. Less is more should be the guiding philosophy of any variants.
All of the variants in H5 made it confusing. Sometimes less is more.
NoBagNebby wrote:
All of the variants in H5 made it confusing. Sometimes less is more.
agreed! I really enjoy some of the variants tbh like Nornfang (ofc it's one of the most powerful) and I think it's possible they could add to the Halo Infinite experience, but probably not in its current form. Reducing the amount of variants will make for a more comprehensive (and easier to balance) game anyways.

I won't be heart broken or anything if they keep it as-is since that's what I'm expecting will happen, the game will still be very enjoyable!
In a nutshell instead of having a weapon variant being buffed by it's lethality it's instead given unique properties to minimize sandbox redundancy, sounds good to me. I get what 343 was trying to do with warzone variant weapons to serve the role of a power fantasy, it's fun shooting a sniper bullet that explodes (at least for the person using it) but I thought they emphasized lethality a bit too much and as you've mentioned, that discarded the normal weapons.

Nonetheless lets hope they take variants with a grain of salt.
With the lore of the Banished, I'd love to see enemies using these variants. They could be piecing together whatever tech they can get and making it work. Picking up an extended mag or Brute-plasma based upgraded weapon in campaign could be really cool. As for the multiplayer, if they treated some of the super upgraded variants like power weapons, I'd be okay with that. Imagine watching the power weapon countdown at the center of a map and watching The Answer spawn. One clip, then it's gone. It could work.
That could be cool. Less, "+1 damage assault rifles" and more, "Mangler but shoots a burst."
xxSPRIFTxx wrote:
That could be cool. Less, "+1 damage assault rifles" and more, "Mangler but shoots a burst."
Actually no, thats the kind of weapon variants I want to avoid, I more mean " The Manger variant being the Mawler, and is a shotgun" variants that are similar to the base weapon, but has its own name, design and can have unique properties to it the base can not do, but it does not overshadow the base weapon.
Eh, I still want a mangler that has a burst fire method