Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

I’m worried Chief will regress as a character

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
People are generally really happy with what we saw in the new trailer for Infinite. 343 has said on multiple occasions that this game is Chief's story. However, something that seriously concerns me is that they will reverse, or regress Chief's character back to how he was in CE-3. Halo 4 really did an amazing job with his character. Bringing the personality and depth of John from the novels as well as progressing his personal journey. Halo 5 was a major disappointment in this regard, he didn't get much development or growth. I'm really worried that with 343 wanting to bring new people on board, they will strip Chief of all his character and depth, making him like he was in the OT.
"The success of the story is that we didn't pump alot of time figuring out who the Master Chief was or why he was a ghost in the shell."- Joe Staten
"There's something good about having the Master Chief essentially be a blank slate. That helps each individual person connect to the character" -Marty 'O Donnell

Everyone I know personally thought 343's attempt to force Chief into talking and having emotions in Halo 4 and 5 compromised his character. Yeah, it was touching to see Chief almost choke up while saying goodbye to Cortana, but to people who don't know John outside of the games it felt out of place, and that was sort of the main common complaint with 343's entire approach to their saga up until now. They thought their main audience enjoyed Halo with the frame of reference of external material, but as it turns out, they don't. They most fondly remember the curt, to the point, man-of-few-words Chief from Halo CE, 2, 3.
I don't really care much for Chief's dialogue if I'm being honest. He's always expressed himself in more subtle ways using his body language. CE is a good example.
"The success of the story is that we didn't pump alot of time figuring out who the Master Chief was or why he was a ghost in the shell."- Joe Staten
"There's something good about having the Master Chief essentially be a blank slate. That helps each individual person connect to the character" -Marty 'O Donnell

Everyone I know personally thought 343's attempt to force Chief into talking and having emotions in Halo 4 and 5 compromised his character. Yeah, it was touching to see Chief say goodbye to Cortana, but to people who don't know John outside of the games, it felt out of place, and that was sort of the main common complaint with 343's entire approach to their saga up until now. They thought their main audience enjoyed Halo with the frame of references of external material, and as it turns out, they don't. They most fondly remember the curt, to the point, man-of-few-words Chief from Halo CE, 2, 3.
I really hope they make Chief like how he was in Halo 4, I want a lead protagonist who has depth and development, not just a shell for the player. Very boring tbh

Everyone I know personally thought 343's attempt to force Chief into talking and having emotions in Halo 4 and 5 compromised his character. Yeah, it was touching to see Chief say goodbye to Cortana, but to people who don't know John outside of the games, it felt out of place, and that was sort of the main common complaint with 343's entire approach to their saga up until now. They thought their main audience enjoyed Halo with the frame of references of external material, and as it turns out, they don't. They most fondly remember the curt, to the point, man-of-few-words Chief from Halo CE, 2, 3.
I really hope they make Chief like how he was in Halo 4, I want a lead protagonist who has depth and development, not just a shell for the player. Very boring tbh
I mean, I get it, but I think most people who prefer Halo CE, 2, and 3's Chief, including myself, see his minimalist nature as a unique personality of it's own.
Just a small opinion of mine but chiefs personality from halo 4 and 5 made him seem weaker in my opinion. I liked it when we was the strong silent type, a man of few words and when he did speak it always seemed powerful to hear.
I completely understand why people like Chief being a blank slate. But I actually really enjoyed how he was in 4. It didn't feel to unnatural and I was looking forward to the progression in 5 and was very disappointed to say the least.
Chief may have been a blank, generic action hero in the past, but now that his story has truly begun, going back would only be a mistake.
Chief went completely out of character in Halo 4 and 5. So I would be very happy to see the return of the real master chief in Halo Infinite. You know, the tough and silent guy who always got the job done. And did not make stupid emotional decisions, that would put himself and his team at serious risk unnecessarily.

I think it's far too early to really fear about it. I mean, I get it because I felt the removal of Arby as a playable character in H3 led to a oversimplification of the story where as H2 showed us a nice complexity to the Covenant that was lost along the way.

Still, there is nothing to point to a more simpler Chief other than him diving back into the action. But that's likely more to get us hyped than saying anything about the story.

Also, I agree that H4 Chief was nice and more akin to the book Chief. Nothing points to him not being a 'real' anymore though.
I'm with you, OP. Chief was so uninteresting to me until Halo 4. Halo 5 dropped that a bit, sadly, and I'm hoping they aren't regressing back to the way he was in Halo 2 and 3 because of the criticism. The statements 343's made recently has really disappointed me and made me nervous.

I don't go for the "silent, 'cool' character" type. I'll tolerate it because the Halo universe is interesting enough on it's own, but if the Master Chief, the main character, doesn't have much character to him, what does that really say about the Halo franchise as a whole? Because to me, it makes it seem as though video-games don't care about masterfully-crafted stories full of depth, character, and the human element.
Whatever they're doing one thing is for sure. In my opinion, that Chief in the trailer felt more like himself than in all of H5 and I am very excited.
Halo 4's development of Chief's character made complete sense, although it was rushed in too quickly. His best friend was dying, and he was trying his best to keep her sane. He also isn't particularly emotional, so it will have been harder for him to express his sadness.

Had Halo 4 kept Chief the same as Halo 3 for the first level (Dawn), and then had him progressively became more vocal throughout the game as Cortana's condition worsened, it would have been easier to accept. In the second level, Requiem, it would have been better if Chief's extended dialogue was kept to immediately after the crash, and the Warthog drive. He would then keep quiet for the rest of the level, other than a possible line or two.

Halo 5 definitely shouldn't have regressed on Chief's humanity, and Halo 6 should be the culmination of his arc. He learns to accept that he isn't just a machine.
We don’t know how he’ll be in the game, but only going from the trailer I do see similar characteristics to the Halo CE - Halo 3 era, which is something I would prefer.

I wouldn’t describe it as a regress, but I think that’s an adequate description. I don’t see it as a negative however.

Following the spiritual reboot idea, it makes sense for him to behave as he did during the Bungie trilogy. Especially as it allows the player (meaning new players they mentioned in their post) to connect with the character and story. This is what made him such a success before. E.G. the famous Joseph Staten quote.
People are generally really happy with what we saw in the new trailer for Infinite. 343 has said on multiple occasions that this game is Chief's story. However, something that seriously concerns me is that they will reverse, or regress Chief's character back to how he was in CE-3. Halo 4 really did an amazing job with his character. Bringing the personality and depth of John from the novels as well as progressing his personal journey. Halo 5 was a major disappointment in this regard, he didn't get much development or growth. I'm really worried that with 343 wanting to bring new people on board, they will strip Chief of all his character and depth, making him like he was in the OT.
Unfortunately I've been worried about it ever since Bonnie Ross' comments about "simpler stories" (whatever that means) a couple years ago. Sadly I already just kind of accepted we'll probably never get another H4 Chief again in the games, and his personality will be limited to the books. (Where he's always been a real character.)

Although,
I don't really care much for Chief's dialogue if I'm being honest. He's always expressed himself in more subtle ways using his body language. CE is a good example.
I did think this was pretty cool. Remember the way in CE when he puts his hand on the Marine's shoulder in the escape pod, I loved how he did that in the trailer yesterday too.
Reminder for everyone saying halo 5 got chief right:

Halo 3 sold nearly 3 times as many copies as Halo 5 and was active for far longer. There is a reason for this and it's not because of Chief's riveting depth and complexities.
It all comes down to how often he speaks, and the sweet spot is somewhere in between Halo 2 and 4. He needs to speak up once in a while during missions like he does early on in 4, but also not be as talkative as he was in 5 On the other hand, he shouldn’t be silent for several missions in a row like in CE and 3, because it makes no sense. He literally speaks one word directly to the Arbiter in Halo 3- “worse”.

The recent trailer accomplished his dialogue perfectly. Mostly quiet, but when he speaks, there’s an impact to it. “No, we need to fight” is an iconic line that harkens back to Bungie days, and they should keep going in that direction.
I completely understand why people like Chief being a blank slate. But I actually really enjoyed how he was in 4. It didn't feel to unnatural and I was looking forward to the progression in 5 and was very disappointed to say the least.
Exactly. The whole story line was also starting to allow us to see the human side of Chief. Even Lasky says something to him about it. Even though hes a genetically modified super soldier, hes still a man with emotions. The older he gets the more they come out.

Halo 3 sold nearly 3 times as many copies as Halo 5 and was active for far longer. There is a reason for this and it's not because of Chief's riveting depth and complexities.
True. The Transformers movies did really well, and those movies are nothing but constant explosions. Most people don't like a genuine, good story. They just want "epic" this and "badass" that with no substance. It doesn't help when every other person has the attention span of a mosquito.

True. The Transformers movies did really well, and those movies are nothing but constant explosions. Most people don't like a genuine, good story. They just want "epic" this and "badass" that with no substance. It doesn't help when every other person has the attention span of a mosquito.
People do like good story, mass effect, fallout, elder scrolls, and the like were very popular franchises. But with that said, Halo isn't a story driven narrative, it's a shooter first and foremost, and despite Master Chief being a blank slate bungie had a lot of very good story.
You need to understand that you either have a character with the options to form and define their personality (IE, the player's personality) or they are a silent protagonist so the player can self insert.
Chief doesn't need to throw out sarcastic quips every chance he gets for the story to be good. Hence why you will probably have an easier time finding people who think Kasumi Goto from Mass Effect was a good character than say, Sarah Palmer from Halo 4.
The trick is to make the characters around chief compelling and interesting, along with their situation, and to give MC a solid motivation to proceed with whatever course of action is dictated to him, sure he can have some personality of his own, but it shouldn't be glaring.
For example, chief in Halo 3 vs 4 and 5. When he reunite with Cortana on high charity his body language not only communicates his feelings, but it's easy for the average player to feel the same, he doesn't need to vocally cry and wail for a player to break down in tears, if the scene is crafted well enough the player will feel those emotions on their own.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3