Forums / Games / Halo Infinite

I’m worried Chief will regress as a character

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I prefer having a form of vessel in the gameplay as we had in bungie Halo games as the protagonist instead of the TV soap opera drama cutscenes. There are many places to focus on the deeper emotions of the characters, books are one such place alongside with a movie/ series but in FPS games I personally would still prefer less focus on the personal drama & more on the big picture at hand like the survival of humanity against a powerfull foe and such things.
It'll definitely be interesting to see how they handle the character now, especially if he's getting Cortana back like its potentially looking. Seeing as she was the one who did most of the talking.
I agree and hope they continue or finish the themes they were starting in 4 with Chief and don't make him just a complete silent hero like he has sometimes been.
It'll definitely be interesting to see how they handle the character now, especially if he's getting Cortana back like its potentially looking. Seeing as she was the one who did most of the talking.
I agree and hope they continue or finish the themes they were starting in 4 with Chief and don't make him just a complete silent hero like he has sometimes been.
I'm very curious how they explain what on earth happened to Cortana to explain why he wants her back and what the rest of humanity (assuming there is a humanity, which I think is a safe presumption even though the Pilot mentioned they "lost") thinks of that. This is likely the most important plot point to explain.
KayMrt wrote:
I'm very curious how they explain what on earth happened to Cortana to explain why he wants her back and what the rest of humanity (assuming there is a humanity, which I think is a safe presumption even though the Pilot mentioned they "lost") thinks of that. This is likely the most important plot point to explain.
No doubt, but I think it may be somewhat simpler than we may think. Cortana split herself multiple times in Halo 4 right? Who's to say there wasn't at least one sane 'version' of herself still out there and once again somehow saved by Forerunner 'magic'?
Meanwhile, the Cortana from Halo 5 may still be out there wreaking havoc perhaps under a new guise? (differentiating herself from the Cortana we know and love)
I felt the same thing in that trailer. The Marine being happy to see Chief again after a long time adrift and he just interrupts the guy with "status report" is stating the Master Chief is lifeless again, like when Linda asks him in Halo 5 to elaborate how is like to have an AI in his head just to Chief replies "no" is repeating one of the main reasons why Halo 5 campaign was so disappointed.
It is too early to say anything, but I'm worried with this one liner Chief again just to say some quotes to make an impact
Nothing to worry about here....
Master Chief: "HULK CHIEF SMASH!"
I liked Halo 4's characterization of Chief, but Halo has always been about mystery and intrigue of setting and plot. Chief is just the vehicle for the player to experience that and I'm ok with him not getting much more characterization than he got in 4.
Halo 4-5 era Chief would have told the pilot “get somewhere safe, I’m going to go assess the situation”

halo 1-3 era chief would say, “We fight.”

Alpha chief is back boiiiissss!
"The success of the story is that we didn't pump alot of time figuring out who the Master Chief was or why he was a ghost in the shell."- Joe Staten
"There's something good about having the Master Chief essentially be a blank slate. That helps each individual person connect to the character" -Marty 'O Donnell

Everyone I know personally thought 343's attempt to force Chief into talking and having emotions in Halo 4 and 5 compromised his character. Yeah, it was touching to see Chief almost choke up while saying goodbye to Cortana, but to people who don't know John outside of the games it felt out of place, and that was sort of the main common complaint with 343's entire approach to their saga up until now. They thought their main audience enjoyed Halo with the frame of reference of external material, but as it turns out, they don't. They most fondly remember the curt, to the point, man-of-few-words Chief from Halo CE, 2, 3.
I know chief out of the games and he shows emotions.
"The success of the story is that we didn't pump alot of time figuring out who the Master Chief was or why he was a ghost in the shell."- Joe Staten
"There's something good about having the Master Chief essentially be a blank slate. That helps each individual person connect to the character" -Marty 'O Donnell

Everyone I know personally thought 343's attempt to force Chief into talking and having emotions in Halo 4 and 5 compromised his character. Yeah, it was touching to see Chief almost choke up while saying goodbye to Cortana, but to people who don't know John outside of the games it felt out of place, and that was sort of the main common complaint with 343's entire approach to their saga up until now. They thought their main audience enjoyed Halo with the frame of reference of external material, but as it turns out, they don't. They most fondly remember the curt, to the point, man-of-few-words Chief from Halo CE, 2, 3.
I think Raptor miss-spoke , slightly. He isn't saying Chief doesn't have emotions , but that he doesn't vocalize or share them openly as he did in 343 games. He clearly has emotions in Ce - 3 , as we clearly see through his body language and sometimes tone of voice in the few lines he had , but it was rarely an emotional response.
Sunsdune wrote:

I think Raptor miss-spoke , slightly. He isn't saying Chief doesn't have emotions , but that he doesn't vocalize or share them openly as he did in 343 games. He clearly has emotions in Ce - 3 , as we clearly see through his body language and sometimes tone of voice in the few lines he had , but it was rarely an emotional response.
He said outside of the games, their has multiple times in books before halo 4 and 5 that he showed lots of emotions from fallen comrades, he also takes a lot of self blame.
Sorry , missed the books part.
But even so , the books ,(well books in general) are a creation of thier own. They get to explore the inner thoughts of characters. Dialogues and monologues that don't get to be shared in other mediums. So of course they are going to carry more emotional weight , and by extension flesh out characters more thoroughly , having the additional impact of greater investment by the reader (generally).
Sunsdune wrote:

This is indeed what I meant.
Just catching up with all the rumors and leaks but what is said is true about the game following the path of an RPG genre then I feel like a story based campaign based off the chief will follow suit with his character progression on a personal level will continue to persue.

But It would also be cool if down the line of the campaign we developed our own story lines. This would fit perfectly with the RPG form that 343 is rumored to follow suit in, it also would tie in perfectly with the title of the game "infinite" that the game and its purpose would be hard to end as it becomes our own story to tie in with the Chief.

I don't know im kinda just brainstorming ideas. It'd be a cool thing to see multiplayer tie in with campaign. I thought that's what Reach was gonna do initially.
Reminder for everyone saying halo 5 got chief right:

Halo 3 sold nearly 3 times as many copies as Halo 5 and was active for far longer. There is a reason for this and it's not because of Chief's riveting depth and complexities.
Its because the gameplay was not terrible.
I liked Chief in Halo 4, but I prefer if they did something similar to Reach and make Chief the silent protagonist, and add a few nice dynamic characters around him, that showcase the raw emotion that we would feel.
KayMrt wrote:
The problem with the "regression" of Chief is that this whole saga of Cortana is tied to Halo 4 and the relanshionship strenghted between Chief and Cortana. In Halo 5 it fails mostly because the characters does not carry the emotion to move the story forward. If they keep Chief replying Cortana with one impactful line every time, the emotion and the reason this saga to exist is broken apart. Let's wait and see.
I think a few folks are missing the point. Halo CE - 3 have a steady progression of Chief, he shows a some personality here and there. Halo 4 was the first time you actually got a sense of emotion (which, when you think about it, really wasn't that much), which was a natural progression from 3. He didn't have to go any further, and it would have been fine to revert a bit back (like any time you go through a loss, over time you heal and bounce back) in 5. However, 5 made him a little too rogue and selfish and also had such a -Yoink- story that it was ruined.

Halo 4 was a great chief, don't let 5's story dictate your opinion of 4's.
I think its funny that people want cheif to be the less talking version of him. They want his actions, gestures and body language to speak volumes about his character. However, how is he suposed to communicate to his team or allies with just nods and one liners. I mean, he can, but i rather he speak more and act out more.
I actually felt really good with how chief was in the trailer. I'm hopeful that the direction they go will have more of that in there as it seems very comforting in a way.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3